Honeymoon night mare because we were not able to take the trip bought for us...

mistyandrade

We got married on 11-2-18 & our honeymoon was the very next day 11-3-18.. We we're so excited my mother paid for our trip as a gift... Our very 1st trip ever so we could have a honeymoon cause she swears that there is nothing like being on a cruise ship.. Cause she is an ongoing cruisader.. Being that we were tight on money because of the wedding she spent her hard earned money for our trip... The morning of our trip we didn't get much sleep because of our wedding and then the excitement of our honeymoon.. We live abt 5 hours away we left early and in such a rush trying to get everything together... Our trip to Galveston took longer cause there was so much traffic but we finally made it.. My mother dropped us off and as we get there and go through the process.. I realize I didn't have our birth certificates in hand.. I don't know how I managed to leave them behind I guess with everything I had going on I had left them behind.. I couldn't believe it... I looked at my now husband and I cried as they took us to a different part called document recovery ... I was in such a rush and full of excitement I left it behind.. I had my marriage license I had my shot records and left my birth certificate at home right next to where my purse was.... I told them my mom could send a picture but she had to get home from Galveston, which meant 5 hrs later.. Instead they told me it would not work.. I begged and ask if there was anyway they would let us take our honeymoon.. And they said no... Instead they handed me a Denial of Boarding Information.. I cried and told my husband it was my fault I didn't mean to leave it behind.. because of me we can't go and enjoy our honeymoon.. and I apologized.. I guess with all the wedding stress from these passed months leading up to the wedding I mean we literally did everything ourselves and the next day having everything ready as possible and leaving the birth certificates behind right next to my purse.. I called the 1800 number they gave me too call, in hope I could get the chance to still go on the cruise we wouldnt be able to pay for again in a very long time but I didn't have any luck instead more disappointment.. My mom lost out on her hard earned money and I lost out on a honeymoon for my husband and I.. If there is any way I could get another chance to have the honeymoon of our dreams plz tell me how or what I have to do.. the devastion of having to call my mom and tell her to turn around and pick us up and she lost out on all of that money that she worked so hard for.. I cried and apologized to her.. I'm glad I'm married now but that week was one of the most stressful and the biggest disappointment... I wouldnt be able to plan another trip like this for a long time beings we have the debt of the wedding.. I just wish there was another way.. and the ppl in the document recovery we're a little more sympathetic for the ppl they are denying.. 

You ( or your Mom) will be refunded the port fees and taxes.

Sorry this happened to you.  Thank you for posting and using yourself as an example that everyone should make sure they have the proper documents before they leave their home.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mistyandrade said:
We got married on 11-2-18 & our honeymoon was the very next day 11-3-18.. We we're so excited my mother paid for our trip as a gift... Our very 1st trip ever so we could have a honeymoon cause she swears that there is nothing like being on a cruise ship.. Cause she is an ongoing cruisader.. Being that we were tight on money because of the wedding she spent her hard earned money for our trip... The morning of our trip we didn't get much sleep because of our wedding and then the excitement of our honeymoon.. We live abt 5 hours away we left early and in such a rush trying to get everything together... Our trip to Galveston took longer cause there was so much traffic but we finally made it.. My mother dropped us off and as we get there and go through the process.. I realize I didn't have our birth certificates in hand.. I don't know how I managed to leave them behind I guess with everything I had going on I had left them behind.. I couldn't believe it... I looked at my now husband and I cried as they took us to a different part called document recovery ... I was in such a rush and full of excitement I left it behind.. I had my marriage license I had my shot records and left my birth certificate at home right next to where my purse was.... I told them my mom could send a picture but she had to get home from Galveston, which meant 5 hrs later.. Instead they told me it would not work.. I begged and ask if there was anyway they would let us take our honeymoon.. And they said no... Instead they handed me a Denial of Boarding Information.. I cried and told my husband it was my fault I didn't mean to leave it behind.. because of me we can't go and enjoy our honeymoon.. and I apologized.. I guess with all the wedding stress from these passed months leading up to the wedding I mean we literally did everything ourselves and the next day having everything ready as possible and leaving the birth certificates behind right next to my purse.. I called the 1800 number they gave me too call, in hope I could get the chance to still go on the cruise we wouldnt be able to pay for again in a very long time but I didn't have any luck instead more disappointment.. My mom lost out on her hard earned money and I lost out on a honeymoon for my husband and I.. If there is any way I could get another chance to have the honeymoon of our dreams plz tell me how or what I have to do.. the devastion of having to call my mom and tell her to turn around and pick us up and she lost out on all of that money that she worked so hard for.. I cried and apologized to her.. I'm glad I'm married now but that week was one of the most stressful and the biggest disappointment... I wouldnt be able to plan another trip like this for a long time beings we have the debt of the wedding.. I just wish there was another way.. and the ppl in the document recovery we're a little more sympathetic for the ppl they are denying.. 

So sorry you missed your trip.  I won't say anything because it's like rubbing salt in a wound.  Best wishes on your marriage! THAT is the important thing.  Take another cruise, it's an affordable trip to be able to take.  

• Like 5

Thats the exact reason I check to make sure they are in my bag 100's of times before we even leave the house and another 100 when getting bags in the car! My family thinks I am crazy but I would rather be paronid and sitting on a cruise ship than not check and sitting home.

• Like 5

I'm so sorry that this happened to you... but I don't think there is any way your mom is getting her money back. Take this as a learning experience - you won't forget important paperwork again! God's richest blessings on your marriage!

• Like 3

I work at a cruise port and each company is different and each ship is different. We see this happen every cruise. I tell people the best idea is to get another official copy of your BC and keep it in your suitcase. That way if you forget at least you have another one in there.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, fozzy1975 said:

Thats the exact reason I check to make sure they are in my bag 100's of times before we even leave the house and another 100 when getting bags in the car! My family thinks I am crazy but I would rather be paronid and sitting on a cruise ship than not check and sitting home.

DH thinks I'm crazy too.  I do the same thing.  

26 minutes ago, ManyMore said:

I work at a cruise port and each company is different and each ship is different. We see this happen every cruise. I tell people the best idea is to get another official copy of your BC and keep it in your suitcase. That way if you forget at least you have another one in there.

While this is a good idea it will take some time to retrieve the luggage if left with the porters.....Personally I tell guests to take a picture of their BC and send it to the cloud.  This way it can be retrieved fairly quickly and can be emailed and printed out quickly.

• Like 1

Hi

I know this would be too little, too late, also, I don't know what kind of cruise it was. So it may not have been worth the effort, but did nobody suggest that your husband could board (with your luggage) and you could catch up with the ship at the first port? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mscinmia said:

While this is a good idea it will take some time to retrieve the luggage if left with the porters.....Personally I tell guests to take a picture of their BC and send it to the cloud.  This way it can be retrieved fairly quickly and can be emailed and printed out quickly.

This is a good idea and can save a trip like this. OP I am sorry this happenened. Forgetting things sucks.

I'm sorry this happened to you.  I keep all of our travel documents together in a large envelope and keep it in my purse when we leave.  I also give my checklist one last look right before we leave the house.  It's basically the last thing I do before we walk out the door.

Tough lesson, but you have to move on because there's nothing that can be done.

1 hour ago, LuckyStar said:

DH thinks I'm crazy too.  I do the same thing.  

I ask and want to see before we put luggage in the car.  I ask again and want to see once it's in the car.  I ask again when we get to the stop sign to turn on to the highway.  If we stop and get out for any reason I check again.  If we stop for the night I check before bedtime and when we leave the hotel.  Over kill? Yes but I'm OCD about it.  Not ever bring on a cruise I understand maybe not realizing you didn't have it but am surprised as well Mom didn't ask when picking you up to drive you to Port.  Sorry you had this happen.  Chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I know this would be too little, too late, also, I don't know what kind of cruise it was. So it may not have been worth the effort, but did nobody suggest that your husband could board (with your luggage) and you could catch up with the ship at the first port? 

Great idea, but she said she left both birth certificates at home. Depending on where the first port is, we might have called Carnival and asked for the procedure to board. It's possible a one way flight might only be a couple of hundred, surely better than losing a weeks honeymoon. My wife and I have a running joke as she is in charge of the passports, we ask each other "who has the passports" BTW, we leave our BC's in our safe deposit box, a passport supersedes a BC.

7 minutes ago, Cruiserbarbie said:

I assume you both work so travel insurance might have helped.  Don;t know for sure but for young people who are employed, cancel for any reason MAY and I say May have eased the financial burden a little.

Maybe,,,

Have to read the "fine print"

Some policies you must declare the cancellation prior to 48 hours of departure,,, Royal insurance lets you cancel up to time of departure

10 minutes ago, Cruiserbarbie said:

I assume you both work so travel insurance might have helped.  Don;t know for sure but for young people who are employed, cancel for any reason MAY and I say May have eased the financial burden a little.

Spending more money on insurance, by it's very definition, wouldn't have eased the financial burden.  The only thing they are suffering from right now is disappointment.  You don't insure against disappointment.  Considering they will be refunded some fees, they are financially better off NOT going on the cruise.

This is a disappointing situation for those involved. I can understand the stress and excitement of a wedding can make it easy to forget even something very important. But we too go overboard to ensure this will not happen to me. We do have passport and keep an electronic copy of the passport, birth certificates and marriage license just in case. We also buy travel insurance that will cover lost documents. 

14 minutes ago, ETinCA said:

Just curious, why couldn't you get your paperwork and go to the first port of call? So you miss a day or two. Sorry it messed up your honeymoon though. Please don't be angry at Carnival though. 

They would need more than birth certificates to do that since they would have to fly to the first foreign port of call (not to mention the expense involved in flying to the next port).