Dress Code Question

ScottC4746

22 hours ago, Brooklyn Bridget said:

I see no mention of shoes.  Hiking boots will be the only close-toed shoes we bring.  

I don't remember seeing anything about closed toe shoes either. I think it does say no flip-flops. In SW Florida, dressy flip-flops are acceptable at high end restaurants, and sandals are our normal formal footwear. Are dressy sandals allowed on HAL? I don't take any cruise where I need to pack hiking boots. They take up too much room since we both have very large feet, and it's not possible to get our feet into our airline seats if we wear them on the plane.

8 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

I don't remember seeing anything about closed toe shoes either. I think it does say no flip-flops. In SW Florida, dressy flip-flops are acceptable at high end restaurants, and sandals are our normal formal footwear. Are dressy sandals allowed on HAL? I don't take any cruise where I need to pack hiking boots. They take up too much room since we both have very large feet, and it's not possible to get our feet into our airline seats if we wear them on the plane.

Dressy sandals are fine.

No rules on closed toes.  Many of my dress shoes are open toed 😉 

On 12/9/2018 at 8:07 PM, dot73 said:

Just got off the Eurodam cruise. I have never seen so many ugly old jeans and plaid shirts worn in the MDR on most nights,  including gala nights.  Some women weren't any better with their choices of clothing including yoga pants and flip-flops.  You can pretty well wear anything you want to the MDR on the Eurodam and not be turned away.

We just completed a Eurodam Mexico cruise, too.  It was definitely the most casual HAL cruise I've been on.  I packed a lot of nice things because it's the holiday season and we didn't have to fly -- so no weight limitations.  I took about half my stuff home unworn.  I felt silly getting dressed up.  That said, I just embraced the casualness of the destination and it was a fabulous cruise -- perfect.  

21 hours ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

I bring a sport coat, no matter the itinerary.  What the crowd does doesn’t make me feel silly.  If all my fellow passengers were to leave there combs and razors at home - no problem, but I’m still going to shave and comb my hair.

:classic_happy:

You are talking about a sport coat.  No big deal.  I packed a very formal red silk "Christmas dress" for my Mexico cruise.  With most people dressed much more casually, it was just too much for the room.  I prefer not to be conspicuous.

Speaking of conspicuous, there was a darling couple who "played dress-up."  He in top hat, she with maribou jacket, etc. etc.  But that was "costume" and done for effect.  It's sad that dressing up is becoming parody, but such is life.  I do miss the old days -- hence my red silk dress.  Sigh.

I expect that we will continue to dine in alternate venues, as we have for quite some time, even thought he dress requirements have changed. 

We very happy with casual attire and we find that compared to alternate venues, MDR dining is not our choice on Gala nights.  It is too noisy, service is very slow/elongated, and the food, in our experience, no longer lives up to the billing.     Nor does it 'evoke' any memories whatsoever of bygone times.

9 hours ago, iancal said:

MDR dining is not our choice on Gala nights.  It is too noisy, service is very slow/elongated, and the food, in our experience, no longer lives up to the billing.     Nor does it 'evoke' any memories whatsoever of bygone times.

Thanks for posting this as we totally disagree, after recently disembarking from Eurodam (12/16). On Gala Nights service was great, timely, and personal. Food was exceptional. We thoroughly enjoyed both Gala Nights, and they indeed reminded us of bygones past from cruises we took in the 80's. Sorry to hear that you have soured from what we experienced.

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2018 at 8:09 PM, SWFLAOK said:

Well I guess that depends on how far over 60 you are. If it's 25 or 30 years then... Sorry,  I'm just kidding with that. I do believe in dress codes, but not the tux and gowns.  I'm only a few years over 60,  and I've only worn a gown  2  times in my life (when it wasn't required for a wedding). I still have those gowns which were worn for upscale New Year's Eve parties in the early 2000's. That's the only time I've seen my husband in a tux ,and he looked very good. I'm saving those gowns for my wake. Someone else will need to choose between the 2. But I remember my mom loving to dress up in a long dress, and my father wearing a suit and tie (the same thing he wore to work everyday)  for a regular Saturday night dinner at a local restaurant with a few other couples. I've never done that.

But, I do like cruise ships having a dress code that requires at least upscale casual at dinner, and at bars after 6PM. Anyone who wants to wear sweats, shorts, caps, yoga pants, or pajamas should stay in their cabins after 6PM and order room service.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have to ask ...... Why would you want to spend eternity in a gown you wore once?  Will anyone recognize you?   😊. (When my mother was making her final wishes known, she insisted on being buried in a lovely nightgown and robe. She said "I'm sleeping, not going anywhere!"  We obeyed her wishes. )

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ithaca gal said:

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have to ask ...... Why would you want to spend eternity in a gown you wore once?  Will anyone recognize you?   😊. (When my mother was making her final wishes known, she insisted on being buried in a lovely nightgown and robe. She said "I'm sleeping, not going anywhere!"  We obeyed her wishes. )

Maybe the "higher power" at the entrance to her preferred final resting place enforces a dress code 😉

Like I said before - my friend, the funeral director, brought this hideous red formal gown from the closet and said we should dress my mom in it.  It was meant as a joke and we all got a hearty laugh from it, imagining my mom forced to spend eternity in a formal gown she would never have worn anytime, anyplace.  

I'm still waiting for someone to reply to my post where I asked for the hard copy from HAL that states staying in dinner clothes for the evening is what is expected and changing out into more relaxed clothes is not advised.  Not opinion, or personal preference, but actual hard copy.

Edited by slidergirl

13 hours ago, ithaca gal said:

Sorry - weird duplicate post after I edited...

Edited by slidergirl

46 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I'm still waiting for someone to reply to my post where I asked for the hard copy from HAL that states staying in dinner clothes for the evening is what is expected and changing out into more relaxed clothes is not advised.

IIRC I've never seen it in print. "Back in the day" it was understood that Formal meant the entire ship, after 18:00.  But once the Lido went very casual the entire ship soon followed. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am fine with their new dress code- thats the way it goes for most of the cruise lines apparently! My friends just returned from a fab. cruise on board Niew Amsterdam. It was their first HAL cruise and they were quite impressed. I highly recommended HAL to them. Their  only complaint was about the lack of enforcement of the dress code. Many wore shorts in the MDR- nobody stopped them from doing so. My friends esp. asked the head waiter why the rules are not more enforced? The answer was they don´t dare, as they are afraid people might avoid HAL if they get turned away in shorts.

What a shame! Whats the point in instdalling a dress code and then not keep up to it!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

I am fine with their new dress code- thats the way it goes for most of the cruise lines apparently! My friends just returned from a fab. cruise on board Niew Amsterdam. It was their first HAL cruise and they were quite impressed. I highly recommended HAL to them. Their  only complaint was about the lack of enforcement of the dress code. Many wore shorts in the MDR- nobody stopped them from doing so. My friends esp. asked the head waiter why the rules are not more enforced? The answer was they don´t dare, as they are afraid people might avoid HAL if they get turned away in shorts.

What a shame! Whats the point in instdalling a dress code and then not keep up to it!

Sorry to hear that!  We have seen people turned away for wearing jeans on Gala Night, while others haven't.  It sometimes comes down to the MDR manager and whether they have the guts to enforce it.

7 minutes ago, leerathje said:

Just got off the Koningsdam today, and was EXTREMELY disappointed to see both men and women wearing t shirts and shorts (one guy was wearing swim shorts!)  in the MDR.

Was this for  breakfast/ lunch, in which case shorts and t-shirts are appropriate and within the rules, or at Dinner ?

Edited by Despegue

1 minute ago, Despegue said:

Was this for  breakfast/ lunch, in which case shorts and t-shirts are appropriate and within the rules, or at Dinner ?

At dinner....I saw it on at least 3 dinners on a 9 day cruise...even on the last night!  On the last night I saw a gentleman wearing a grey tshirt with a pair of floral swim trunks.

16 hours ago, leerathje said:

At dinner....I saw it on at least 3 dinners on a 9 day cruise...even on the last night!  On the last night I saw a gentleman wearing a grey tshirt with a pair of floral swim trunks.

Very disappointing..  :classic_dry:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, leerathje said:

But did you see anyone in their Robes? LOL