Edge in Port Everglades

BSinPNS

3 hours ago, bigbeergut said:

Based on all of the computer generated images, I'm sure the Edge will be beautiful inside.  For us, the biggest issue will be the reduction in open deck area for the majority of the passengers.  The new Retreat area takes away a lot of space at the front of the ship and it appears that reserved cabana areas and the magic carpet access will take away a lot of space by the side of the pool.  They have also  eliminated the top deck around the pool.  It seems like a lot less open deck space to me.

I think I'll be on the S-class ships for a long time.

I think you are mistaken about the top deck being eliminated.D7115D11-5130-4BE6-9693-D1BE9408299A.thumb.png.4e93e63292529a45b01036a6048efdbf.png

16 minutes ago, Oville said:

I think you are mistaken about the top deck being eliminated.D7115D11-5130-4BE6-9693-D1BE9408299A.thumb.png.4e93e63292529a45b01036a6048efdbf.png

I don't think so, but we'll see in a couple of days.  This is at the rear of the ship.  I was referring to the area along the pool.  Forward of this picture along the pool nothing exists on deck 15 except the jogging track on one side.  On Deck 16 by the pool, nothing exists on the port side.  It's unclear what will be by the Magic carpet on the starboard side on Deck 16.

6 hours ago, bigbeergut said:

Nope.  It is the hands down winner of the ugliest cruise ship ever built.

I agree. Throw in that monstrosity hanging over the side. midship, and it's not even close. It looks like a window washing scaffold on a high rise in the big cities. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I too love open decks on cruise ships. I am concerned about what will happen to the S-class ships after the “Revolution.”  For example, where is the new Retreat Sun Deck going to be located?  

It will be at the front top of the ship where the Solstice Deck is currently located. What is unclear so far is whether it will also take over the basketball court area below that. As the Solstice Deck stands now it is not large enough to accommodate a pool as the press releases have said will be featured. If they took out the basketball court and the adjoining kid's areas then they could have the sundeck with pool and connecting into a Retreat Lounge possibly. That's what would make the most sense but I never count on cruise lines to do what makes sense. It wouldn't surprise me if they just close off the Solstice Deck, throw in a hot tub and add some pillows to the deck chairs and call it a day.

1 hour ago, DCT61 said:

"The Magic Carpet" has a dual role. it will also be used to compact garbage, dockside as its taken from the ship at the end of a voyage.

Good one!  With all the dribble on here I enjoyed your clever (and funny) post.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mrpie90 said:

little bit upset.

we got bumped off two of the preview cruises (party of 10 )

we could not reschedule as did not fit in with our other plans.

will see what we cannot have when we sail on HARMONY on sunday.

thoroughly disgusted with CELEBRITY.

ian

How did you get bumped off the preview cruises? Just curious..I did not think they were fully booked.

12 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

It will be at the front top of the ship where the Solstice Deck is currently located. What is unclear so far is whether it will also take over the basketball court area below that. As the Solstice Deck stands now it is not large enough to accommodate a pool as the press releases have said will be featured. If they took out the basketball court and the adjoining kid's areas then they could have the sundeck with pool and connecting into a Retreat Lounge possibly. That's what would make the most sense but I never count on cruise lines to do what makes sense. It wouldn't surprise me if they just close off the Solstice Deck, throw in a hot tub and add some pillows to the deck chairs and call it a day.

Thank you.  It will be a shame when Celebrity does this and restricts access to existing public areas.  These ships were not built for this. (Which is not to say that I love the Edge, either, with its apparent lack of anything like the Sky Lounge, for example, an important forward-facing public space.)  We love the S-class ships; not sure we will after the "Revolution."

2 hours ago, hcat said:

How did you get bumped off the preview cruises? Just curious..I did not think they were fully booked.

hi.

it was when they first put went on sale last January we booked then Celebrity cancelled that one

and we rescheduled and then they cancelled that one.

wrote three letters of complaint and got nowhere.

customer service was non existent.

6 hours ago, floridacruisers said:

This is the second ugliest ship out there now. The Norwegian Epic is in a class of ugly all by herself....

Phil............floridacruisers

On that I can agree!  Probably explains why there was never an Epic2.

As for Edge, I like it....certainly different!

Joe

Edited by JoePDX

1 hour ago, mrpie90 said:

hi.

it was when they first put went on sale last January we booked then Celebrity cancelled that one

and we rescheduled and then they cancelled that one.

wrote three letters of complaint and got nowhere.

customer service was non existent.

Curious as to what you expected them to say?  The other sailings would have already been heavily sold, so it's not like they had a lot of options available to accommodate moving two shiploads of people, many of whom undoubtedly wanted to be on the first sailing.

On 11/19/2018 at 3:27 PM, mickey89 said:

I saw the sail in with the Tug boat guard of honour.  Thought the Captain was doing the Hokey Cokey and couldn’t decide, bow-in, bow-out, bow-in had everybody giddy. Bit of showboating or he couldn’t decide which way to dock.

That's because you can't tell which end is the bow.

10 hours ago, floridacruisers said:

This is the second ugliest ship out there now. The Norwegian Epic is in a class of ugly all by herself....

Phil............floridacruisers

Agree.  We like sailing on Celebrity, but this thing just isn't attractive.  The bow is plain ugly and what's with the name up on the funnel rather than the normal X logo.

Not impressed so far.

Thank god I am not the only one who dislikes that ugly bow. Well, what bow- there is not much of bow there. The carpet thing- - an eyecatching gadget- some may like it, some not. Eden- to many styl mixes. The prices- just ridicoulus. Again no prommenade deck. The Infity cabins look stunning. Most of the interiour as  well. This extrem short bow ruins the overall exteriour experience!

It might take a looong looong time before I set foot on board- not with those prices!

The Solstice Decks on board the S- Class ships can just be reached by a lot of stairs. There is no elevator going up there- so I would quess not all would be willing ( and sometimes even able) to climb all those stairs!

So I would thing they leave that area well alone!

7 hours ago, adonisr said:

Agree.  We like sailing on Celebrity, but this thing just isn't attractive.  The bow is plain ugly and what's with the name up on the funnel rather than the normal X logo.

Not impressed so far.

The X logo is the funnel itself. Very innovative but clearly not for the Celebrity diehards

I would like to have been in the room when the Edge designers first showed the bow design to Celebrity management.  I wonder if they said,  "Wow, that's ugly" or "Wow that's beautiful" .

There must have been some tremendous advantage to hydraulic drag that couldn't be obtained with any more conventional bow design.  There are some things that are distinctive and some that are ugly.  For example, I like the new "X" funnel design.  It's a new fresh look.  The bow is ugly.

2 hours ago, Esprit said:

The X logo is the funnel itself. Very innovative but clearly not for the Celebrity diehards

I Am an X diehard and like the design.... as well as many other, X and The Edge, diehards here on CC.

bon voyage

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigbeergut said:

I would like to have been in the room when the Edge designers first showed the bow design to Celebrity management.  I wonder if they said,  "Wow, that's ugly" or "Wow that's beautiful" .

There must have been some tremendous advantage to hydraulic drag that couldn't be obtained with any more conventional bow design.  There are some things that are distinctive and some that are ugly.  For example, I like the new "X" funnel design.  It's a new fresh look.  The bow is ugly.

Believe it or not, but it's called and X-bow so how could they not go with it!   It's supposed to inprove stability in rough seas giving a smoother ride to the passengers.  They have been using this shape on a lot of vessels sailing Northern waters such as service ships for the oil rigs.  The Virgin cruise ships look to have a similar design on the bow.

AIDAnova has the same bow design and is undergoing final trials before officially becoming the latest ship under the Carnival Corp' umbrella.

Like them or loath them, they are here to stay.

Personally, I'd rather be on the ship than sneering about what it looks like from afar.

Edited by Esprit
typo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

AIDAnova has the same bow design and is undergoing final trials before officially becoming the latest ship under the Carnival Corp' umbrella.

Like them or loath them, they are here to stay.

Personally, I'd rather be on the ship than sneering about what it looks like from afar.

Could be, but I'll bet most people on this forum would agree that Celebrity should not try to follow the lead of Carnival.  I'm sure that there are lots of things that would make the ship more stable or improve the ride but they don't do it.  Everything's a trade-off, for my money they didn't make the right decision on the bow. 

On 11/20/2018 at 11:34 AM, bigbeergut said:

I don't think so, but we'll see in a couple of days.  This is at the rear of the ship.  I was referring to the area along the pool.  Forward of this picture along the pool nothing exists on deck 15 except the jogging track on one side.  On Deck 16 by the pool, nothing exists on the port side.  It's unclear what will be by the Magic carpet on the starboard side on Deck 16.

Thought you’d be interested in this pic.

FAB5326B-F9C3-400D-B8ED-1AE494482F36.jpeg

1 hour ago, Oville said:

Thought you’d be interested in this pic.

FAB5326B-F9C3-400D-B8ED-1AE494482F36.jpeg

Yep, I noted that there was some space on an upper deck by the entrance to the magic carpet.  What about the other side?  There isn't an upper deck on the other side of the pool.  Just the jogging track going between levels.

Edited by bigbeergut