RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

8 minutes ago, bajathree said:

There is a 1A - Ultra Spacious OV w/Lg Balcony.....that would look like the second picture also....but that isn't what you got with 6196

This is what I'd argue they owe you, since it has spacious in the name as did your email and anything less I'd dispute it)

2 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Oh wow, that's much bigger!  Granted I still bet it's with a filter to enhance the "space" but that's a big difference!

Yes

1A - Ultra Spacious OV w/Lg Balcony Two twin beds that convert to Royal King. Sofa converts to double, two Pullman beds, private bathroom and sitting area. Up to 6 guests.  Stateroom: 271 sq. ft. Balcony: 82 sq. ft.

43 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Love those fish eye lenses 😉

LOL yep!  Misleading people everywhere for years!  Just cruising specific - how many beaches have looked larger or grander, ship rooms, hotel rooms, resorts!

It's become a running joke in our family if we arrive somewhere where we feel they "oversold" to figure out what perch they took a picture from - then we always just roll with it, and if it happens to meet or exceed what we expected, BONUS 🙂  Seriously, the years of visiting college campuses after viewing their brochures or pics online jaded us to never expect exactly what we see - house hunting was fairly similar 🙂

5 hours ago, AshleyRC said:

My experience with RoyalUp…We are cruising on SOS leaving 3/9/19...

At first only my MIL's room got the RoyalUp email back in November (we only have 2 people booked in her room, its an Ocean View Balcony).  I ignored it because I was only interested in upgrading my room with 4 people in it.  We got the email again on 2/7 but for both rooms this time.  So I submitted bids for every room I could because the Ocean View Balcony is SOOOOO TINY for my husband and I and a 6 and 11 year old (TOTALLY my fault for not booking a suite to begin with).  I bid over the minimum on all the rooms.  My BIGGEST mistake was bidding full price on the cheapest rooms, I think that's why I didn't even have a shot at the suites.  One of my bids was on a 'Spacious Ocean View Balcony', I bid the full amount which was $500 PP ($1,000 total) and here is why...it has a picture of your current stateroom on the bidding website, then it has pictures next to every room you can bid on, the 'Spacious Ocean View Balcony' looked double the size of my current room so I was more than happy to bid the top amount to get more space!  TURNS OUT...the picture next to 'Spacious Ocean View Balcony' is ACTUALLY a picture of the 'Ultra Spacious Ocean View with Large Balcony'!!!!  SO when I got the email that I won the bid, I looked up the room number and I won a bid for OCEAN VIEW WITH LARGE BALCONY...THE SAME SIZE ROOM AS MY CURRENT ROOM!  I immediately got on the phone with Royal Caribbean and talked to 3 different people and the whole time they kept saying it was my fault for relying on the picture.  WHY WOULD YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF MY CURRENT ROOM IF YOU DIDN'T INTEND ON ME COMPARING IT TO THE PICTURES NEXT TO THE BIDS.  So turns out 'Spacious Ocean View Balcony' isn't even a room type on the ship.  They just rearranged the wording and put a fake picture next to it just to get bids.  In the end they refused to take any blame and kept saying it was my fault, I felt like I was in a court room, they would put me on hold and listen back to everything we had just talked about then would come back and try to spin every word I said.  So now I am stuck paying $1,000 more for a room that doesn't exist and still in the same exact size room I started with.  

THEN on top of that, now that I have ZERO trust in Royal Caribbean, I go back to start reviewing everything I have purchased through the Cruise Planner only to find that the Key I bought back on 1/1/19 (when it said no reservations are required for shows) has now changed to reservation ARE REQUIRED and all the shows are sold out.  Would have been REAL NICE to get an email saying "this perk has changed so be sure to hurry up and book a show"!  

I am BEYOND excited to be on Symphony of the Seas but this will be my FIRST AND LAST cruise with Royal Caribbean.  

(I have posted this on a couple different threads about the RoyalUp)

The program is called “Royal Up”, not “Royal Lateral Move”.  A lot of people have reported what their offers were and I believe all of them had offers for upgrades, not for the same category of cabin.  This is obviously an error on Royal’s part, and I hope you pursue it until you receive either a refund or an upgrade.

6 hours ago, AshleyRC said:

Ashley,

We are on the same cruise and received the same offer. Yes, looking at the picture is definitely  misleading. We called and no one could explain that room, so we decided against biding on it. 

Do not let up on them, this is not right, we almost made this mistake as well.

Jerry

6 hours ago, AshleyRC said:

My experience with RoyalUp…We are cruising on SOS leaving 3/9/19...

At first only my MIL's room got the RoyalUp email back in November (we only have 2 people booked in her room, its an Ocean View Balcony).  I ignored it because I was only interested in upgrading my room with 4 people in it.  We got the email again on 2/7 but for both rooms this time.  So I submitted bids for every room I could because the Ocean View Balcony is SOOOOO TINY for my husband and I and a 6 and 11 year old (TOTALLY my fault for not booking a suite to begin with).  I bid over the minimum on all the rooms.  My BIGGEST mistake was bidding full price on the cheapest rooms, I think that's why I didn't even have a shot at the suites.  One of my bids was on a 'Spacious Ocean View Balcony', I bid the full amount which was $500 PP ($1,000 total) and here is why...it has a picture of your current stateroom on the bidding website, then it has pictures next to every room you can bid on, the 'Spacious Ocean View Balcony' looked double the size of my current room so I was more than happy to bid the top amount to get more space!  TURNS OUT...the picture next to 'Spacious Ocean View Balcony' is ACTUALLY a picture of the 'Ultra Spacious Ocean View with Large Balcony'!!!!  SO when I got the email that I won the bid, I looked up the room number and I won a bid for OCEAN VIEW WITH LARGE BALCONY...THE SAME SIZE ROOM AS MY CURRENT ROOM!  I immediately got on the phone with Royal Caribbean and talked to 3 different people and the whole time they kept saying it was my fault for relying on the picture.  WHY WOULD YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF MY CURRENT ROOM IF YOU DIDN'T INTEND ON ME COMPARING IT TO THE PICTURES NEXT TO THE BIDS.  So turns out 'Spacious Ocean View Balcony' isn't even a room type on the ship.  They just rearranged the wording and put a fake picture next to it just to get bids.  In the end they refused to take any blame and kept saying it was my fault, I felt like I was in a court room, they would put me on hold and listen back to everything we had just talked about then would come back and try to spin every word I said.  So now I am stuck paying $1,000 more for a room that doesn't exist and still in the same exact size room I started with.  

THEN on top of that, now that I have ZERO trust in Royal Caribbean, I go back to start reviewing everything I have purchased through the Cruise Planner only to find that the Key I bought back on 1/1/19 (when it said no reservations are required for shows) has now changed to reservation ARE REQUIRED and all the shows are sold out.  Would have been REAL NICE to get an email saying "this perk has changed so be sure to hurry up and book a show"!  

I am BEYOND excited to be on Symphony of the Seas but this will be my FIRST AND LAST cruise with Royal Caribbean.  

(I have posted this on a couple different threads about the RoyalUp)

Edited by Cruisingjer

27 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Okay, thank you, I got lost and thought it was the same room.  Ouch, that was an expensive mistake.

The cabin is identical....just the balcony is larger...maybe 1.5X a normal balcony. 

Royal should not have thrown the word "spacious" into that upgrade offer....it should have just read oceanview with large balcony...IMO it was misleading...and from what Cruisingjer posted above....so was it to reservation when you called.

Edited by bajathree

Here is the most recent upgrade offer I received for our Symphony cruise. I also got a chance to bid on a Spacious Ocean View Balcony.  Based on the picture I also thought it was the room that was spacious and not just the balcony.  I didn’t bid, but I agree this is deceiving.

FBA5E191-F80E-4266-A1B5-BF4CC701A968.png

46 minutes ago, AshleyRC said:

No!!!  It is not called this and it looks nothing like this room! 

They clearly need to change the photo to match what you are actually bidding on. It should show the same picture as the original balcony room and describe the difference in size of the balcony itself. No where does it state that the balcony is actually bigger but instead shows a bigger room with no mention of the balcony. It’s probably because I could care less that the balcony is 3 feet wider and wouldn’t pay a premium for it.  It’s a place I stand or sit in a chair. Means nothing to me.  That is deceiving all the way around and you should file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau if they won’t give you your money back. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, er345 said:

Here is the most recent upgrade offer I received for our Symphony cruise. I also got a chance to bid on a Spacious Ocean View Balcony.  Based on the picture I also thought it was the room that was spacious and not just the balcony.  I didn’t bid, but I agree this is deceiving.

FBA5E191-F80E-4266-A1B5-BF4CC701A968.png

None of those pictures are even of rooms on Symphony.  The Ultra Spacious Ocean View in that configuration only exists on Harmony, and the remaining rooms are the older style found on Oasis and Allure.

Got an answer for my “no eligible cruises found” issue.  They told me to cancel my bid and re-bid.  

No way am I risking that.  If anyone is daring enough to do cancel and try to re-bid let me know!  I’m just afraid that if I cancel, it won’t ever show up again.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:00 PM, Biker19 said:

On the Settings section of your account look under the Offers and Communication section. 

On 2/14/2019 at 6:04 PM, Jasukkie said:

Got it, thank you! They were unchecked. Really hoping to get an email.

I have the boxes checked.  I am also the travel agent on my booking, and my email is in the booking as both agent and guest. I have not received any offers or Royal Up emails.  Not everyone gets them.