Live from Nieuw Statendam Premier Voyage, December 2018

Vict0riann

The reception was a hoot!  There was a lot of laughter.  They had two bronze medals, one each of the others.  Recipients had been forewarned they would have to return them after they were photographed, occasionally someone would forget and try to go off with a medal and it had to be retrieved. 

Their medals will will be mailed to them.

we had the “Caribbean” lunch.4B02D9C5-FBD7-49EB-BB60-6AF46A77E1E6.thumb.jpeg.47e36389d33d210a8e4c50e1e50ee1f9.jpegC2D9B389-E7FA-4391-9D58-21316552C05F.thumb.jpeg.42939e5837befdfdd6d1be5fa97bfddf.jpegF30F77AE-EB6A-4B3C-85EC-C03F32C976FF.thumb.jpeg.618a80f163023ebbd1fca9fe4e9c80bd.jpeg

38932781-CCE3-42E9-ABDE-01C96DCD6F07.jpeg

• Like 1

I may be in the minority here, but I think the medal ceremony was a travesty. For those receiving medallions, it’s a big deal, even the copper one for 100 days. Those days represent a big chunk of change, never mind the silver, gold and platinum awards. 

Shame on HAL for screwing this up. In my mind there’s no excuse not to have had the medallions on board before the ship ever left Venice. I was supposed to have received my gold medallion today but they didn’t call my name and I’m actually glad of it. I’ll wait for the Prinsendam next month to have a more meaningful ceremony. One where I actually get to keep the medal handed to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, scluvsrain said:

I may be in the minority here, but I think the medal ceremony was a travesty. For those receiving medallions, it’s a big deal, even the copper one for 100 days. Those days represent a big chunk of change, never mind the silver, gold and platinum awards. 

Shame on HAL for screwing this up. In my mind there’s no excuse not to have had the medallions on board before the ship ever left Venice. I was supposed to have received my gold medallion today but they didn’t call my name and I’m actually glad of it. I’ll wait for the Prinsendam next month to have a more meaningful ceremony. One where I actually get to keep the medal handed to me. 

Be carefull what you wish for. I have personally witnessed a very angry couple that were invited to the ceremony expecting to get their golden medals but were not even mentioned. When the last medallion had been given out they loudly protested and asked where theirs was. It seems that on a previous cruise, where they were due the medal, it also didn't happen and that it was  promissed on their next cruise, this one!

The captain had no words for that and the CD took them apart.

So it might be prudent to ask for information about it at the beginning of the cruise.

I had the good fortune to be at a lunch table with an officer from guest relations after the ceremony. I explained what happened in my case and asked her to whom I should address my question. She said “me” and got my name and cabin number and said she’d get it fixed and make sure my next ship - the Prinsendam next month - will be informed. I took her at her word but will also check once I embark. Because I basically don’t trust much of anything people tell me. 

55 minutes ago, scluvsrain said:

I don't blame you one bit for being upset. You earned those medals and should have been awarded them when they were due. It's not like it's a surprise to anyone in Seattle that medallions are presented, and they need to have a full supply on hand. The inaugural sailing date wasn't a secret to them, after all.

Happily, there will be a next time---and it will be on a very special ship. I think the advice to check with the Front Desk to be sure they know you didn't get your award when you should have, and that they have your name on the list to do it this time.

Oh, and congratulations on this new level!

1 hour ago, scluvsrain said:

28 minutes ago, scluvsrain said:

I had the good fortune to be at a lunch table with an officer from guest relations after the ceremony. I explained what happened in my case and asked her to whom I should address my question. She said “me” and got my name and cabin number and said she’d get it fixed and make sure my next ship - the Prinsendam next month - will be informed. I took her at her word but will also check once I embark. Because I basically don’t trust much of anything people tell me. 

Oh, Sherita, I am so sorry this happened to you!  I can only guess how excited you were, knowing you were going to receive your Gold Medallion.  Then to first of all find out that they didn't have them onboard, and secondly that they didn't even call your name, must have been so awful.

I don't think I would wait until boarding the Prinsendam next month... I would be contacting HAL immediately after getting home from this voyage.  If they cannot get it right this time, what makes anyone want to think they can get it right next time without your input?  You so deserve much more than that medal.  HAL owes you big time for this one!  You go get 'em!  

Just had a thought... what if they send the medal to you with a letter explaining what happened, and you take it with you to the Prinsendam?  That way you will be sure it will be there for the presentation.  But the letter, which you can show to the Captain of the Prinsendam, is a key part of this plan so that they know you never even got your name called, etc.  Sounds like it may be a solution, IMHO.  Regardless, I wish you luck with getting HAL to straighten this out.  A Gold Medal Mariner should be a very valued HAL cruiser, and they need to do better taking care of you all.

Meanwhile, enjoy the rest of this cruise, and Bon Voyage!

~Barbara~

"No medals at the Mariner medal ceremony on the inaugural cruise of a new ship" What an incredible stupid screw up by someone in Seattle and by Nieuw S Guest Services for apparently only discovering it just prior to the ceremony! Heck, those pieces of metal could have even been sent to Funchal if someone had been on the ball. Stupid! Get your caca together!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, scluvsrain said:

Exactly, the other couple were promissed too.......

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Where is "The Blend" located Ann? Thanks!

The Blend is on deck 2, hiding behind the Ocean Bar on the way to the dining room, Copper.  I’m not sure how busy it is, I just noticed myself that it has a Happy Hour at 9 p.m.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

The Blend is on deck 2, hiding behind the Ocean Bar on the way to the dining room, Copper.  I’m not sure how busy it is, I just noticed myself that it has a Happy Hour at 9 p.m.

Yes. The Blend is just across the walkway from that fabulously successful Orange Club dining venue.......😜

• Haha 2

I don’t know what happened to my post , Sherita, but I am very sorry the ceremony was such a disappointment for you.  But in the event, if you get your gold medal on the Prinsendam, that will be so much nicer.  We missed out on our silver for 3 cruises, until I finally emailed Seattle, they said they would mail them, but we wanted to receive them on a ship.  Eventually got them on Rotterdam , but I did check into it when we got on board.  I don’t think we would have ever received them if I hadn’t looked into it.

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

"No medals at the Mariner medal ceremony on the inaugural cruise of a new ship" What an incredible stupid screw up by someone in Seattle and by Nieuw S Guest Services for apparently only discovering it just prior to the ceremony! Heck, those pieces of metal could have even been sent to Funchal if someone had been on the ball. Stupid! Get your caca together!

They said that the medallions were lost somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle as they were supposed to have gone to first Rome, then Funchal, but instead had gone to the Bahamas.  

As to my own personal issue, it still would bother me if I weren’t due a medal. It was awful to see these people called up to the stage, have to stand in a line to get their picture taken with a sample medallion on,

take it off and hand it back for the next person. And for the silver medallion awardees, there was only one silver medallion, so couples being awarded it had to have their picture taken with one person wearing silver and the other one bronze. Terrible. 

Edited by scluvsrain

Looking forward to the Prinsendam medallion ceremony and I think I'm kind of happy that you weren't even called.  You are certainly in line for a FULL medallion ceremony and I think it's a lot more likely as it is than if you had been recognized on the ship and/or had your medallion mailed to you.

I think we'll both be in line at guest services on day 1 or 2 although my Silver situation is a lot more understandable.  I was due one on the Westerdam in August but it was a B2B with a Volendam Cruise tour that had not yet been included in my record to show me over 300 days.  I did email the Mariner Society and was assured I would get it then but I will also double check once on board.

I think the ceremony will be a little sweeter for both of us coming on that Grand cruise.

Roy

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Looking forward to the Prinsendam medallion ceremony and I think I'm kind of happy that you weren't even called.  You are certainly in line for a FULL medallion ceremony and I think it's a lot more likely as it is than if you had been recognized on the ship and/or had your medallion mailed to you.

I think we'll both be in line at guest services on day 1 or 2 although my Silver situation is a lot more understandable.  I was due one on the Westerdam in August but it was a B2B with a Volendam Cruise tour that had not yet been included in my record to show me over 300 days.  I did email the Mariner Society and was assured I would get it then but I will also double check once on board.

I think the ceremony will be a little sweeter for both of us coming on that Grand cruise.

Roy

Thanks for those words Roy. It will be an honor to stand with you on the Prinsendam. 😀💕

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Has the internet and/or Cruise Critic performance gotten better in the last few days?

Roy

CC has been pretty good.  I do have to sign in regularly, but as I have a 24/7 internet plan, that’s not a problem, just a bit of a nuisance.  I have found the internet on the ship a bit strange today, appearing and disappearing, but the rest of the time it has been okay, after they latched onto a new satellite.  

4 hours ago, scluvsrain said:

Oh Sherita, what a shame 😞 

Sounds like a pretty mucked up ceremony.  

So sorry to hear this.  Congrats on the gold medallion even if you have to wait until the Prinsendam to receive it.

24 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Oy vey....Such a fuss over medals that no one will want when we die. What in the hell is my daughter gonna do with my medals and pins from various cruise lines!? 

What a mean spirited thing to say! :classic_angry:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Oy vey....Such a fuss over medals that no one will want when we die. What in the hell is my daughter gonna do with my medals and pins from various cruise lines!? 

Luckily for your daughter, according to your signature, she will not have to worry too much about what to do with your non-existent HAL medal ... no cruises to date and only one planned :classic_rolleyes:  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1