Ships Liquor Store

W283386

When is the best time to buy liquor from the ships store?  Would like to get it out of the way on day one but are there sales later in the week.  Have not sailed in three years, but I somewhat remember that if purchased on day one you had a chance to get your money refunded  as a result of a raffle.

On our last sailing, the last night was found to be the best for deals, we got a two for one (2/1) deal for a specialty rum which was cheaper on the ship than in port to begin with.

I recommend that you check-in daily at the store to see if there are any specials on brands you would like to purchase.

bon voyage

Forget it !!!

I bought liquor from the ship shop and thought it was a good deal.

Also purchased from several of the port shops.

After returning home I discovered that there was really no difference in price than my local spirits shop.

Also, there are a few brands that you can find locally that are available on the cruise, especially regional rums.

Do your research before cruise.

If I am buying alcohol onboard, I do it on the last night. For two reasons: 

1. I can take the bottle with me back to my room and pack it away. All other days, they keep it from you and they deliver it back to the room. Usually they're good at delivering it fairly early on the last day, while other times it was after dinner (which means you almost have to repack everything if you've already packed).

2. The shops onboard price match. So, if you find a brand onshore for cheaper that they also sell onboard, take a picture of the price (including volume of the bottle), and they will match it onboard. Although I've never had a hassle getting the lower price onboard, I have been tersely told by some shops not to take pictures (because they know what I'm doing and they don't want to lose the business)... just make sure you take the picture discreetly. The benefit of buying on the last day is that you can take pictures of your favourite alcohol at each port, and then get Celebrity to price match the lowest price you saw.

We were on the Silhouette a couple of years ago and went to the duty free shop to price some Jack Daniels, they wanted $25 for a 750ml bottle. I asked the sales clerk if that price was accurate as I can buy it at home for about $19, tax included. He snidely told me the price was accurate and I should buy it at home, and walked away.

I don't price match, I buy from the business that gives me the price upfront even if I have to go to them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grandgeezer said:

We were on the Silhouette a couple of years ago and went to the duty free shop to price some Jack Daniels, they wanted $25 for a 750ml bottle. I asked the sales clerk if that price was accurate as I can buy it at home for about $19, tax included. He snidely told me the price was accurate and I should buy it at home, and walked away.

I don't price match, I buy from the business that gives me the price upfront even if I have to go to them.

Although I agree that I would prefer to buy from the shop with the lowest price upfront; the problem with a cruise is what if tomorrow's port will be cheaper? Or more expensive? To be honest, I kind of agree with the comments above that the duty free prices in the Caribbean are not significantly better than at home; so being able to buy the cheapest alcohol after I know what the cheapest prices are at least makes me feel like I got a good deal (regardless if that's actually the case or not...)

I have found most of the liquor reasonable and some of it a decent deal. We bought $350.00 worth of liquor before, but that was only because we had that amount in OBC. There was absolutely nothing that I wanted from the shops. Since we live in Ft. Lauderdale where the ship was docking it wasn't a problem getting it home. If it wasn't for the OBC I wouldn't bother unless it was a really good deal.

42 minutes ago, Bellfree Bat said:

There are also Travel/Retail varieties of some that you will not be able to find at your local liquor shop. Very common when shopping for Single Malt Scotch expressions.

What one may wish to consider, is to only purchase brands/flavours which you cannot get at your local home liquor outlet.

Very little reason to purchase what you can get locally, when home, unless you divine it to be at a good price/value, unless like the OP have lots of OBC to burn...

bon voyage

My wife (the drinker in the family - lol) usually waits until the last couple of days.  Couple of reasons.  First she gets to compare to the port prices.  Secondly she can see how much OBC she has left and third, she can keep an eye on the sales.

And yea, some stuff are not great prices but some is, like the JW Blue that was mentioned above,  My wife always gets a bottle.  

Remember, no tax......

enjoy

if you have a premium bev package can you have a bottle of wine for your room?  That is when I enjoy most as it puts me right to sleep? or will I  have to bring a few glasses to the room?  We are in a Celebrity suite. Could we ask our butler to provide 2 glasses each night?  

Edited by kkmiausa

On 12/4/2018 at 7:18 PM, 1025cruise said:

Personally, I have never found enough of a bargain to buy liquor on board that makes it worth lugging it home.

👍 I'm a notorious cheapskate and even I won't deal with lugging it back. 

Like all purchasing know if it is a deal or not.  I have notes I keep in my phone of everyday and sale pricing of liquor that I can get locally. Just for the things I buy or might wish to buy.  It is a great reference no matter where you go.  I have found some fair deals on board but mostly they are more like sale prices at home.  If I didn't have to fly it home I might consider buying more often.  I agree with the person who said look for local liquor at ports you can't buy at home or if it is uber cheap.

On 12/5/2018 at 12:12 PM, gg88 said:

If I am buying alcohol onboard, I do it on the last night. For two reasons: 

1. I can take the bottle with me back to my room and pack it away. All other days, they keep it from you and they deliver it back to the room. Usually they're good at delivering it fairly early on the last day, while other times it was after dinner (which means you almost have to repack everything if you've already packed).

2. The shops onboard price match. So, if you find a brand onshore for cheaper that they also sell onboard, take a picture of the price (including volume of the bottle), and they will match it onboard. Although I've never had a hassle getting the lower price onboard, I have been tersely told by some shops not to take pictures (because they know what I'm doing and they don't want to lose the business)... just make sure you take the picture discreetly. The benefit of buying on the last day is that you can take pictures of your favourite alcohol at each port, and then get Celebrity to price match the lowest price you saw.

Do all cruise lines price match?  Holland specifically?

On 12/4/2018 at 4:11 PM, W283386 said:

When is the best time to buy liquor from the ships store?  Would like to get it out of the way on day one but are there sales later in the week.  Have not sailed in three years, but I somewhat remember that if purchased on day one you had a chance to get your money refunded  as a result of a raffle.

If I'm planning on buying any liquor on a cruise I buy it the 1st evening after the stores open. As any smart shoppers knows know your prices. Liquor prices are high here in Washington state. Yes the Johnnie Walker Blue can be a great bargain.

12 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

If I'm planning on buying any liquor on a cruise I buy it the 1st evening after the stores open. As any smart shoppers knows know your prices. Liquor prices are high here in Washington state. Yes the Johnnie Walker Blue can be a great bargain.

One place in the U.S. where liquor/spirits prices are high.  Are liquor purchases still subject to the 20% sales tax + alcohol equivalent tax?

On 12/4/2018 at 6:47 PM, AIROHS said:

last cruise mid week JOHNNY WALKER BLUE 99.00 its 300.00 canadian so i thought was good deal

Never saw blue that cheap, you did get a great price , key buying is you need to know your prices some things are not bargains. But tax and bottles are litters not fifths 

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:42 AM, kkmiausa said:

if you have a premium bev package can you have a bottle of wine for your room?  That is when I enjoy most as it puts me right to sleep? or will I  have to bring a few glasses to the room?  We are in a Celebrity suite. Could we ask our butler to provide 2 glasses each night?  

Unfortunately you can only buy wine by the glass with the drink packages.   You do however get a discount on bottles.   If you ask your butler for 2 glasses each night you will be charged the full cost as you package does not include room service.   

You can however exchange your bubbly for a wine of similar value.   You can also each bring one bottle each on initial boarding. 

Edited by Jim_Iain