EDGE REVIEWS POSTED...not very positive!

hcat

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry, but I think that this is a ridiculous comment. Most people spend their money on what they NEED not what they want or value. If people can spend money on just the latter two then they are very fortunate. I would say that we balance what we need alongside our preference for a holiday and our IV balcony cabin for our 25th anniversary is stretching things at the moment.

Good luck to anyone who is able to afford a suite, you are very lucky cruisers, but please don't tell those of use who can only dream of one that we could afford one if our priorities were different.

If you can afford a cruise, you can afford a suite.  That might mean eating Mac and Cheese the rest of the year, riding a bike instead of a car, and renting a room with family, but it can be done.

I would never book a suite.  Although, I'm kicking myself for not taking the $200 pp offer that popped up one day, for a suite guarantee on the Summit repo from San Juan, a couple years ago.  Our 5 day coastal on HAL was $650 for a veranda, $799 for a suite... hard to turn down.  Depending on what kind of cruises you book, sometimes they fall into your lap for little to nothing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

If you can afford a cruise, you can afford a suite.  That might mean eating Mac and Cheese the rest of the year, riding a bike instead of a car, and renting a room with family, but it can be done.

I would never book a suite.  Although, I'm kicking myself for not taking the $200 pp offer that popped up one day, for a suite guarantee on the Summit repo from San Juan, a couple years ago.  Our 5 day coastal on HAL was $650 for a veranda, $799 for a suite... hard to turn down.  Depending on what kind of cruises you book, sometimes they fall into your lap for little to nothing.

Love the first paragraph.

We are stuck to school holidays so have to book about 18 months out for the best deal for the cabin peak time we want so no chance of last minute deals yet. One day, perhaps ;-)

Re affording a suite - we did price it up but as it meant selling our little house we decided to give it a miss this time.

:-)

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Time for this thread to wane . When I started it,  I expected  it would  be a  short a term  thread. .My bad for selecting the title which lives on.

There are now more reviews , live and otherwise..Varied opinions ,  photos etc.

Perhaps newer  reviews should have the date in the caption.

Or just a way to sort the reviews by "date posted"  I've read the first 25 or so reviews, now there are about 30 and I can't figure out which ones are new.

25 minutes ago, OriginalBoat said:

Or just a way to sort the reviews by "date posted"  I've read the first 25 or so reviews, now there are about 30 and I can't figure out which ones are new.

There's a drop-down menu that allows you to sort by Date of sailing or by Rating.  Over time, Date of sailing will become a useful way to sort for newest reviews.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

There's a drop-down menu that allows you to sort by Date of sailing or by Rating.  Over time, Date of sailing will become a useful way to sort for newest reviews.

Actually, if you do the "Date of Sailing" it always comes up in the same way-by month (like December) and not by date of the month.  Am I doing it wrong?   I would like to see by "Date Posted".  That way you can see the most recent without going through all the others--which I have a hard time remembering by their Subject Titles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Presumably , using this logic, if you can afford a knackered old Ford , you can also afford a brand new Rolls Royce Phantom 

This feels like when a politician states there is no such thing as poverty - just people who make bad lifestyle and spending choices. Anyone with any common sense knows they’re talking a load of nonsense.

if you have no savings, have to sell your home, rent a room with family, and live off Mac and Cheese for a year  for the sole purpose of funding a holiday in  a suite vs a regular cabin then I think most right-minded people would say that by any reasonable definition you can’t afford the Suite and perhaps should take a cheaper holiday or put off the suite idea for a few years..  

Edited by DYKWIA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cluso said:

Actually, if you do the "Date of Sailing" it always comes up in the same way-by month (like December) and not by date of the month.  Am I doing it wrong?   I would like to see by "Date Posted".  That way you can see the most recent without going through all the others--which I have a hard time remembering by their Subject Titles.

No, my point was that in the future all these December reviews will drop down below the January sailings, then the February sailings, etc.  It's only now when there are only December sailings that it doesn't work at all.  But yes, it does not allow you to force a sort by "date posted" (unless the reviews within each month are automatically arranged with the most recent posting at the top – and I don't know the answer to that).

44 minutes ago, DYKWIA said:

Presumably , using this logic, if you can afford a knackered old Ford , you can also afford a brand new Rolls Royce Phantom 

This feels like when a politician states there is no such thing as poverty - just people who make bad lifestyle and spending choices. Anyone with any common sense knows they’re talking a load of nonsense.

if you have no savings, have to sell your home, rent a room with family, and live off Mac and Cheese for a year  for the sole purpose of funding a holiday in  a suite vs a regular cabin then I think most right-minded people would say that by any reasonable definition you can’t afford the Suite and perhaps should take a cheaper holiday or put off the suite idea for a few years..  

#1.  My statement was meant to be a joke, not to be taken literally.

#2.  The lifestyles measures I suggested would not save enough money for a Rolls Royce.  There's a tangible amount that one could save within a year, on extremely reduced food, transportation, and housing costs.

#3.  Your politician comparison is counter-intuitive.  Blowing all your resources on a suite, would be considered by most, a bad lifestyle choice.

#4.  I have no interest in suites myself, unless they're a ridiculous discount.  If I was going to spend that kind of money on a cruise, I would rather go with a luxury line.  I would much rather have superior amenities throughout the ship, than a superior cabin.  So you know, like any authentic joke, it's fun to jab at yourself.  :classic_ohmy:

59 minutes ago, DYKWIA said:

If you have no savings wisdom would say you should not book a cruise...at any level. It’s discretionary spending. 

I am a big fan of delayed gratification! If it’s that important put off the idea for a few years, but it is attainable. 

Funny, when I didn’t have the money I wanted many things, once I acquired the money that provided me the opportunity to indulge myself these things became less important to me. 

I love the idea of people setting goals and working to achieve them. Be it a beat up ford or a phantom. 

For all those that believe they could never afford a 

11 minutes ago, cruzdude1 said:

If you have no savings wisdom would say you should not book a cruise...at any level. It’s discretionary spending. 

I am a big fan of delayed gratification! If it’s that important put off the idea for a few years, but it is attainable. 

Funny, when I didn’t have the money I wanted many things, once I acquired the money that provided me the opportunity to indulge myself these things became less important to me. 

I love the idea of people setting goals and working to achieve them. Be it a beat up ford or a phantom. 

I agree.  

However, I am fairly certain that 99% of the people currently on this forum, can literally afford a suite.  Maybe not this particular date, and maybe not their ideal itinerary, but Suites are very much in grasp, should that be their sole desire.

Jan 18th, 2019 Celebrity Silhouette, 2 Night Bahamaas Cruise.  Suites start at $449

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

On 12/22/2018 at 8:54 PM, vtcruising said:

I like that idea!

My idea is to take the removable veranda tray top to the OVC so that we can get all our food at once and then head to a table. I'm surprised that I didn't see others up there with their trays. 😉

I don't think they would allow that - for sanitation reasons.

On 12/22/2018 at 8:09 PM, marylander2 said:

I have perhaps one of the oddest reasons why ANY cabin of non-suite type would be a disappointment for me...

I am a movie junkie, I use my laptop hooked up to TV during the cruises a lot... There is NO PLACE to set the laptop in the close proximity to the TV in the Edge standard cabins. Older ships have countertops right beneath the TV console. Here, it just hangs on the wall - the moving vanity table is good 2-3 feet away. Yeah, I could buy a longer HDMI cable, just as much as I could buy curtains, folding chairs, large coffee table etc etc :classic_laugh:

There also was an interesting comment from one of the UK guys - he says that, unexpectedly, the space inside the "thingie box" (outlet box) is too small for UK plugs... All of my plugs are of UK size (sorry if it sounds too personal 😂) - I am curious to see how this would work out.

And yes, I could use the universal tom-tom to set the laptop under TV, but it will block the way.

A few posts above, someone mentioned that the absence of the "standard size" (S/M chips) coffee table is a drag for the Edge cabins... We use the table a lot, actually, and for sure will miss the utility that it carries.

But what do you know, I am on the Edge in three weeks... Ha!

I haven't had time to read every single post on EDGE but has anyone mentioned the TVs have built-in chromecast and airplay?  If your computer has either app it will connect wirelessly to the TV.

4 hours ago, hvsteve1 said:

I haven't had time to read every single post on EDGE but has anyone mentioned the TVs have built-in chromecast and airplay?  If your computer has either app it will connect wirelessly to the TV.

I very much doubt that (I mean, that the Edge TVs have this option)... I've read before that people were struggling with HDMI hookups because TV's HDMI slot seems to be on the back and it requires a tiny and skilled hand to stick it in there.

However, only time would tell. I am buying a longer cord so far.

7 hours ago, DYKWIA said:

Yikes!

6 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

For all those that believe they could never afford a 

I agree.  

However, I am fairly certain that 99% of the people currently on this forum, can literally afford a suite.  Maybe not this particular date, and maybe not their ideal itinerary, but Suites are very much in grasp, should that be their sole desire.

Jan 18th, 2019 Celebrity Silhouette, 2 Night Bahamaas Cruise.  Suites start at $449

For what its worth, as I seemed to re started this whole debate, in the UK it is not possible to do any 2 day cruises on Edge in the school holidays from Southampton and suites for any 10 night cruises from Europe (where we would want to sail) are ridiculously high. On top of this come flights, hotel stays and transfers. Agree with your other points though.

Anyway, off out to finish the Christmas shop --- groan. Have a good one yourself :-)

Everything in life is relative. We had a friend who spent his life on board cruise ships playing piano in the piano bar. His great passion in  life was staying in suites in the finest hotels in the world and his Rolls-Royce. His life style living on board ships entertaining us afforded him his luxuries. His attitude mirrored both Oscar Wilde "Let me be surrounded by luxury, I can do without the necessities" , and Frank Lloyd Wright's "Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities."

Then we find those fortunate few  who decide to make their retirement on board cruise ships until they are forced into nursing homes.

1 hour ago, Teacher42 said:

Everything in life is relative. We had a friend who spent his life on board cruise ships playing piano in the piano bar. His great passion in  life was staying in suites in the finest hotels in the world and his Rolls-Royce. His life style living on board ships entertaining us afforded him his luxuries. His attitude mirrored both Oscar Wilde "Let me be surrounded by luxury, I can do without the necessities" , and Frank Lloyd Wright's "Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities."

Then we find those fortunate few  who decide to make their retirement on board cruise ships until they are forced into nursing homes.

You mean to say that cruise ships are not now nursing homes?

LOL

bon voyage

On 12/21/2018 at 11:01 AM, nednrom said:

......what bothers me is the dependence solely on technology - even at dinner with Le Petit Chef.  We perpetuate the market of instagram and videogaming.  We "oohh and ahhh" over dinner instead of having a conversation. ... additional appendage attached called a cell phone that they must attend to every few minutes which is now apparently being encouraged on cruises.  I, on the other hand, want to disconnect from the world and create memories on a cruise. Not that I play trivia that much, but I would want to play in with others in the same room not on my smart phone. 

Yes. This.

Signed, someone on the gen X/millennial cusp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Yes. This.

Signed, someone on the gen X/millennial cusp

There are more that feel the same out there..

Restores hope and faith in  our human civiilzation !