Reviews Coming In...Anyone Cancel their Edge Sailing?

MaggieAtSea

Hi Mr. Bill- I cross fingers, that you have wonderful experience! The product of X was always regarded better than MSC- I can´t tell since I never sailed with MSC. The Seaside looked stunning from the pictures- and there was kind of a prommenade deck- sadly since the Millenium Class X has done away with a propper prommenade deck!

S- class of X are great ships- but I still prefer my all time favorites - the Millenium Class of ships!

Since the decline in the overall product of X ,  i switched to Cunard- and loved every voyage with them.

I consider myself as more " old fashioned" cruiser- i love tradition and the Ocean Liner feeling.

On Cunard ships you are kind of connected with the sea at every twist and turn.

I will sure try the Edge- sometime- the next X cruise will be my first as Elite Plus- so the perks are not to bad, but for the time beeing i wait and see.

21 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

The Seaside looked stunning from the pictures- and there was kind of a prommenade deck- sadly since the Millenium Class X has done away with a propper prommenade deck!

I don't want to hijack this thread but the outside promenade-like deck on Seaside was bogus. It was mostly outdoor seating for the buffet (because there wasn't enough room inside) and the buffet closed at 3pm to be use for overflow dinner seating (since there wasn't enough room in the MDR). 

Before the negative reviews began rolling in, we cancelled our 7 day Edge cruise......I viewed a travel agents video review and there was loud music everywhere, even the adults only pool. 

Neither of us like loud music and prefer quiet places where we can chat with new found friends.

we are now booked on the Nieuw Statendam, which may be a better fit for us.

My DH and I will be on the edge in a couple of weeks.  Since the price for holiday sailings was so exorbitant, we booked a CC infinitate veranda cabin instead of our usual sky suite.  We also booked a March 2020 sky suite S2 on the Edge.  If however, we are not enamored by the ship, we will save our money and book the Reflection, Silhouette or another cruise line ship.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MaggieAtSea said:

Hello TeeRick, As a seasoned Celebrity passenger, and cruise critic board reader, it is, indeed, typically good counsel to do one's own assessment while digesting the reviews of others.  However, when the new style of cabin receives scathing reviews and is coming in at 3x the rate of the Penthouse cabin of recent prior sailings, it begs a bit more serious attention to the photos, videos, and reviews.  

Yes I agree that some attention rightly needs to be focused on both the positive and negative comments of the actual passengers who now have experience sailing on Edge.  The new style IV cabin will not be to everybody's liking and I would anticipate that to be the case since it is a major change from a traditional balcony.  But some do like it too.  Each prospective passenger will need to decide.  If reviews from people that we don't know but somehow we trust enough to convince us to cancel our cruise (the topic of this thread) then so be it.  Celebrity will still sell out Edge and there are plenty of less expensive traditional cabins on other Celebrity ships and on other lines and great vacations will still happen.  No need for anybody to purchase an innovative new product like an Edge cruise at a high price if  they are not anticipating a wow experience in advance!  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tidalmist said:

Before the negative reviews began rolling in, we cancelled our 7 day Edge cruise......I viewed a travel agents video review and there was loud music everywhere, even the adults only pool. 

Neither of us like loud music and prefer quiet places where we can chat with new found friends.

I was on 2 of the Trade and Press cruises and the first revenue cruise. I never heard loud music in the Solarium (adults only pool), though not saying they didn't have a party there during the cruise and even the main pool music was very mellow on the revenue cruise (I was out there almost all day one day in a cabana and was very surprised as it had been louder on the Trade and Press cruises).

One thing to remember about the travel agent/press cruises is that it is open bar (and many of the people on those cruises seemed to like to party and a lot of fun was had! It was a very festive atmosphere. 🙂). Things may have seemed louder because of that - those cruises are likely not typical of what will happen on revenue cruises. I would not be going back for more, if the ship had loud music everywhere - there are lots of mellow places to be as well. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 2

I am still very excited about our trip, I better be because we are locked in at this point and we got our inside room, booked way early, for 2K which is our price point we like to stay under. 

Saying that I am not sure I would have booked today knowing what I know. Being an introvert looks like it will be a challenge on this ship lol. I am hoping it will surprise me, the pictures of the ship, look great, excited to see how it all flows together. 

Curious us if the fun house hall is going to be good entertainment late at night when people that took advantage of their beverage plan walk trough, thinking human pinball🤣

So yeh, a bit concerned and excited at the same time, guess you could say I am on the Edge🙈

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just cancelled our Edge Cruise for April 7. Switched to our old favorite Sillouette. It wasn’t the bad reviews, it was the YouTube video of the Infinite Veranda. I knew it would never work for us. It’s really an ocean view cabin with a window that opens. The main problem would be slipping out early while dw still asleep. It just doesn’t seem to be a balcony cabin. 

We might try to book later on if prices come down on true balcony cabins. For now we are happy to have booked a 9 day cruise for the same price. 

Edge does look like a beautiful ship and we wish you all a wonderful time .

On 12/6/2018 at 6:33 PM, MaggieAtSea said:

Posted last week after seeing the videos of our Edge Villa...stunningly disappointed in the room/veranda layout of the exorbitantly priced villa.  While we have taken in the positive reviews, and are grateful to all those who take time to post their experience, we are concerned changes in suite dining, the price of drinks, the nature of the entertainment on board, but mostly that darn veranda, will have us disappointed we didn’t return that same week to either our spacious, freshly “Revolutionized” penthouse on the Summit or one of our favorite suites on the S class....either at a FRACTION of the cost!  Reached out to our TA today to confirm options.  Have we fallen and hit our heads, or is anyone else ruminating similarly?

Same feelings as you.  The loud music is worrying us also.  

On 12/8/2018 at 5:39 AM, Tidalmist said:

7 hours ago, rrunner said:

Same feelings as you.  The loud music is worrying us also.  

Loud music in the Solarium pool is  not what that  space is supposed to be about..

On our last Infinity cruise, I asked why there was no longer any  spa style relaxing , mellow music, pan flutes,etc  I was greeted with stares and disbelief that they ever had that,..  

In  such a chaotic world, some nice sanctuary spaces are a good thing...or is everyone  on EDGE and Celebrity ships expected to be in a natural state of frenzy.? 

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Well, I will wait a year or two for the price to come down but I fully intend to sail on her some day.  :classic_cool:

Same for us. The ship looks gorgeous; not sure about the IV, but I want to give it a try. Are there regular balcony cabins as well on this ship?

I've noticed that most of the complaints, at least from people on here, are from those booked in suites or concierge class. Some of us can't afford those types of cabins on any ship, let alone a brand new one.

My husband and I definitely want to try out the Edge, or Apex, but at this point we simply can't afford it. In a couple of years or more, when the novelty wears off, perhaps then we can experience it. Until then, it will be Princess or S or M class on X, or perhaps even another cruise line. 

• Like 1

Husband and I needed a cruise this December to keep our Blue Chip ratings.  When the Edge offer came in, we jumped on it.  Even though there have been complaints about the cabin we were given, (IV), I don't really mind since most of my time  there is for sleep.

I'm looking forward to new dining experiences, restful time reading and relaxing.   I am curious to experience the new design and features.

I understand the ship was designed with younger travelers in mind.  I hope only that loud noise doesn't overwhelm us as on other cruise lines.

19 hours ago, Elevatorman said:

Just cancelled our Edge Cruise for April 7. Switched to our old favorite Sillouette. It wasn’t the bad reviews, it was the YouTube video of the Infinite Veranda. I knew it would never work for us. It’s really an ocean view cabin with a window that opens. The main problem would be slipping out early while dw still asleep. It just doesn’t seem to be a balcony cabin. 

We might try to book later on if prices come down on true balcony cabins. For now we are happy to have booked a 9 day cruise for the same price. 

Edge does look like a beautiful ship and we wish you all a wonderful time .

I agree. We were planning to book an Edge cruise for late fall 2019. The IV is enough to change our minds no matter how fantastic Edge looks. We'll stay with S-class AQ "on the hump" or M-class AQ aft cabins on deck 11. 

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
typo

It looks like it will be between Equinox (PH), the “Revolutionized” Summit (RS), or the Edge (EV) in April.  Final payment due soon, so we’ll make a decision in the coming days.  Edge is double (or more) the other two... So each critique is heard with some, like not being able to order off other menus in Luminae, being actual negatives for us.  Blessed to have options, and this Board for thinking aloud with folks.

Unfortunately, change is never easy, and when that change seems to be a game changer, one definitely has to also think about price too, not to mention the pros and cons!  My DH would have been happy in any cabin, but due to my personal circumstances a suite(S1aft)was the only way I wanted to go...after hearing about the bed location, veranda furniture or lack thereof, moving suites was a consideration.  However,  I do love the aft, and have already put in my two cents worth about loungers or chairs with footstools on the huge 163 sq. ft. balconies...I felt like Celebrity listened and did offer to accomodate.  I am hoping for two loungers on my balcony for the TA at the end of April, so will be very disappointed if that does not happen.  Having said that, I will still find things to enjoy, only canceling if my father keeps having issues...my time away is very precious to me, as I am sure that it is to you...do what makes you happy, as life is way too short not to do that!  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Unfortunately, change is never easy, and when that change seems to be a game changer, one definitely has to also think about price too, not to mention the pros and cons!  My DH would have been happy in any cabin, but due to my personal circumstances a suite(S1aft)was the only way I wanted to go...after hearing about the bed location, veranda furniture or lack thereof, moving suites was a consideration.  However,  I do love the aft, and have already put in my two cents worth about loungers or chairs with footstools on the huge 163 sq. ft. balconies...I felt like Celebrity listened and did offer to accomodate.  I am hoping for two loungers on my balcony for the TA at the end of April, so will be very disappointed if that does not happen.  Having said that, I will still find things to enjoy, only canceling if my father keeps having issues...my time away is very precious to me, as I am sure that it is to you...do what makes you happy, as life is way too short not to do that!  

Great attitude and hope the best for your Dad.  I’ll be in an aft deck 11 S1 on the January 20th cruise, promise to report back about  the veranda furniture.  I personally don’t like the bed facing the water because of a bad accident on a M-Class ship but I won’t bore you with the details.

Katie

Edited by Oville
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Oville said:

Great attitude and hope the best for your Dad.  I’ll be in an aft deck 11 S1 on the January 20th cruise, promise to report back.

Katie

Katie, if there are two loungers out there, we will need to toast Lastdance! I'll bring the wine! 😊

I do so hope your dad does well, Lastdance,  and that you are able to enjoy your well-deserved cruise!! :classic_smile:

Edited by vtcruising
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Katie, if there are two loungers out there, we will need to toast Lastdance! I'll bring the wine! 😊

I do so hope your dad does well, Lastdance,  and that you are able to enjoy your well-deserved cruise!! :classic_smile:

Marilyn, with or without loungers we’ll drag  out the rocker and desk chair and enjoy the wake.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I hope for both of you that they are there, but if not...you know what to do!  But Please...post your toast anyway...then if need be, I will get on the phone once again and have them email the ship, as I share the fact that the loungers are lounging somewhere besides the aft verandas...and two very important mystery cruise cruisers are onboard writing reports...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oville said:

Marilyn, with or without loungers we’ll drag  out the rocker and desk chair and enjoy the wake.

And don't forget the vanity seat from the bathroom - I'm bringing a little table cloth so we can use that as our table. 😉

You can see it below under the vanity (it will be perfect):

image.thumb.png.6c12999e45dd5df35f6d482d5f0c2e5c.png

Edited by vtcruising

5 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I hope for you both that they are there, but if not...you know what to do!  But Please...post your toast anyway...then if need be, I will get on the phone once again!

Three women with great attitudes:classic_tongue:

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1