Crown & Anchor benefits - am I missing something?

Reading through these boards and seeing mentions of reaching various milestones with the c&a,  I decided to take a look at the levels and the benefits. 

The bump from gold (3)  to platinum (30)  is a lapel pin, robes and an event. 

Platnium (30)  to emerald (55) is welcome water and beverage selection? 

Emerald (55) to Diamond (80) - 

Milestone recognition (what is this?), 

Chef's choice gift (what is this typically?),

Priority wait list for spa and excursions (is this useful?), 

Priority departure (nice!),

Diamond club (what is this like?) 

Exclusive nightly Diamond event (what happens at these events?), 

Daily breakfast with specialty coffee, 

Entertainment tour

Diamond (80) to Diamond plus (175)  

Behind the Scenes Tours 

Personalized Gift/Amenity (per household) 

Concierge Club Access 

Priority seating at theater, ice show and AquaTheater events

Meal with an Officer for members with 340 or more cruise points

Upgraded bathroom amenities for members with 340 or more cruise points

Bonus Gift for members with 340 or more cruise points (per household)

Bonus Gift for members with 525 or more cruise points (per household)

After reaching 'diamond plus' the next level is pinnacle - 175 pts to reach diamond plus and 700 to reach pinnacle.  The benefits don't seem to match the extreme difference in point requirements. RCI lists a lapel pin and a pass with 'exclusive privileges - what are those? 

The reason I ask, is I am wondering it is worth it to stay loyal to one cruise line or to shop around and go on different lines for other experiences.  I'm not crazy about a bunch of nicknacks or pins - I don't know,  it seems like a lot of these benefits can be had by purchasing star class -or the starclass benefits seem to be even better! where is the included internet, speciality dining or beverage package?  

People who have reached these various levels on RCI - what do you like about the program?  What is your favorite perk?  

I think I would like the 'club,' free drinks, robe, priority seating and departure the most.   I don't think I would be interested in the 'gifts' - what do they tend to be? or the 'recognition/acknowledgment' type benefits.  Thanks in advance for your responses!

You're missing one of the most useful perks that starts at Platinum, which is the discount on any stateroom with a balcony.

Platinum Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$ 50 * for sailings of 3-5 nights
$100* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$200* for sailings of 10+ nights

Emerald Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$ 75 * for sailings of 3-5 nights
$125* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$225* for sailings of 10+ nights

Diamond Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$125* for sailings of 3-5 nights
$225* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$325* for sailings of 10+ nights

Diamond Plus Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$150* for sailings of 3-5 nights
$250* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$350* for sailings of 10+ nights

Pinnacle Club Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$175* for sailings of 3-5 nights
$275* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$375* for sailings of 10+ nights

*When booking less than 6 months from sailing date subtract $25 from the dollar amount.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

You're missing one of the most useful perks that starts at Platinum, which is the discount on any stateroom with a balcony.

Platinum Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$ 50 * for sailings of 3-5 nights
$100* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$200* for sailings of 10+ nights

Emerald Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$ 75 * for sailings of 3-5 nights
$125* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$225* for sailings of 10+ nights

Diamond Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$125* for sailings of 3-5 nights
$225* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$325* for sailings of 10+ nights

Diamond Plus Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$150* for sailings of 3-5 nights
$250* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$350* for sailings of 10+ nights

Pinnacle Club Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$175* for sailings of 3-5 nights
$275* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$375* for sailings of 10+ nights

*When booking less than 6 months from sailing date subtract $25 from the dollar amount.

And when booked into a group rate you get the full value, not the diluted value by being applied before the 30% off.

• Like 1

We cruised with 8 lines and will continue to do so with at least 6-7  of them as itinerary fits.

We reached at least equivalent of Platinum with most of them and Diamond with Royal Caribbean (this will be our second cruise as Diamond). We only found that Princess program beats Royals at Platinum level by offering 150 (250 on 8 or longer) minutes of free internet. But Royal beats everyone with Diamond lounge offerings. Also we loved free photo per member.

For the balcony savings, it seems like these numbers are if you book non-refundable rate, right?

We moved up to Platimun and noticed for a 4 day cruise, the savings is $68 CAD (i.e. 50 USD) if non-refundable and only $48 CAD if refundable.

1 minute ago, LuCruise said:

For the balcony savings, it seems like these numbers are if you book non-refundable rate, right?

We moved up to Platimun and noticed for a 4 day cruise, the savings is $68 CAD (i.e. 50 USD) if non-refundable and only $48 CAD if refundable.

No, same discounts for refundable and non-refundable.

Royal has various ways to diminish the C&A perks, you have to look at the PDF invoice to see how their creative math has decreased the balcony discount.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

No, same discounts for refundable and non-refundable.

Royal has various ways to diminish the C&A perks, you have to look at the PDF invoice to see how their creative math has decreased the balcony discount.

Very creative indeed.  It doesn't even show as 'crown and anchor' item for both.

To add to that, when we booked a 4 day onboard, they only gave us $40 CAD discount for Platinum.  (We were moving up the end of that cruise so couldn't fight them on the amount)

29 minutes ago, Allaboutsailingrc said:

And when booking as a solo, which I do, Royal reduces the balcony discount.

i recently booked a 10 night balcony sailing. 

The discount for a 10 night sailing is listed as $ 375 (Pinnacle). I got $282.

I used to get the full balcony discount,  however that has recently changed.

Could this be due to the fact that solo pinnacles do not pay the full single supplement ?
Wondering if this is also the case for those who do pay the 200% supplement.

Just quick math, the single supplement for pinnacle is 150%, so if the $375 discount is based on 200%   you would end up with a $281.25 discount for 150%

Edited by darthvadrouw

Our last cruise was our first at Diamond level, but reflecting back and answering a few of your questions:We never use priority departure because we generally drive ourselves to port and leave late.

Priority entertainment seating is usually already taken up by the time we get there, so don't know.

There has never been any mention of an "entertainment tour" on any cruise we've been on.

Many ships don't offer the robes and those that do, I found they don't fit very well.

As far as I have seen, "Milestone recognition" is when they ask all the new members of whatever level to stand or raise the hand or something at the C&A party. Never seen anything else.

So that seems kind of negative so far, so let me share what I do like:

As I mentioned, there is the C&A or "returning cruisers" party. Usually a get together in the lounge with free drinks and snacks and the CD talks a bit about upcoming RC stuff. Then some live music.

When arriving at the port you get filtered into a (usually) shorter line to check in, although suites still take priority.

For Oasis at least, once checked in we were seated in a priority waiting area until the ship was ready to board. Again, not something that everybody cares about, but at least gets you a chance to get ahead of "the horde" when a lot of people are trying to get somewhere at once.

We've been receiving four drinks and a bag of cookies and a bag of mixed nuts in our room at the start of the cruise. I guess that's the chef's choice? You can specify what drinks you want online somewhere in your C&A profile.

Overall though, I think the best perk is getting the free drinks at Diamond. Our first cruise at Diamond was with a toddler, so we didn't use the lounge, but some like going there for the "event". But between bringing our own wine onboard and the free drinks we have for dinner and showtime, that is something that actually saves us a few bucks.

As for whether or not this all affects our decision to cruise with RC over another line, so far we've always found RC offered what we wanted at a competitive price, so never needed to look elsewhere.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TBone2K said:

Our last cruise was our first at Diamond level, but reflecting back and answering a few of your questions:We never use priority departure because we generally drive ourselves to port and leave late.

Priority entertainment seating is usually already taken up by the time we get there, so don't know.

There has never been any mention of an "entertainment tour" on any cruise we've been on.

Many ships don't offer the robes and those that do, I found they don't fit very well.

As far as I have seen, "Milestone recognition" is when they ask all the new members of whatever level to stand or raise the hand or something at the C&A party. Never seen anything else.

As I mentioned, there is the C&A or "returning cruisers" party. Usually a get together in the lounge with free drinks and snacks and the CD talks a bit about upcoming RC stuff. Then some live music.

When arriving at the port you get filtered into a (usually) shorter line to check in, although suites still take priority.

For Oasis at least, once checked in we were seated in a priority waiting area until the ship was ready to board. Again, not something that everybody cares about, but at least gets you a chance to get ahead of "the horde" when a lot of people are trying to get somewhere at once.

We've been receiving four drinks and a bag of cookies and a bag of mixed nuts in our room at the start of the cruise. I guess that's the chef's choice? You can specify what drinks you want online somewhere in your C&A profile.

Overall though, I think the best perk is getting the free drinks at Diamond. Our first cruise at Diamond was with a toddler, so we didn't use the lounge, but some like going there for the "event". But between bringing our own wine onboard and the free drinks we have for dinner and showtime, that is something that actually saves us a few bucks.

As for whether or not this all affects our decision to cruise with RC over another line, so far we've always found RC offered what we wanted at a competitive price, so never needed to look elsewhere.

Milestone recognition is the crystal block you receive at 140 points and every 70 points thereafter.

8 minutes ago, TBone2K said:

One thing consistent about Royal is their inconsistency.

Sometimes robes are already in the cabin, sometimes we have to ask but we always get them - it's fine for me and one of my favorite perks.

Some shipe do behind the scenes theatre tours, some don't. Even on same ship - some sailings it'll be offered, others not. When it is, we always go. It's amazing to see all that goes into putting the shows together, and in such a confined space!

We love the lounge for the specialty coffee, quiet relaxing spot during the day and sometimes the happy hour (if we get there after the early rush). The drinks loaded on our card don't go to waste!

They don't do the bag of cookies anymore - now it's a plate, with a selection of Windjammer cookies. Sometimes we'll also get another one mid cruise w/ a few hors d'oeuvres but not always.

Overall, we've loved the perks as we've climbed the tiers, and so far Royal keeps us coming back. 🙂

8 minutes ago, Sea Rious said:

What it the RCCL Chef’s Choice GIft/Amenity? I never received that when I reached Diamond?

It's a gift in your cabin upon boarding - soft drinks. The option to choose the gift was taken away from the RCI web site - you have to call C&A to choose.

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

It's a gift in your cabin upon boarding - soft drinks. The option to choose the gift was taken away from the RCI web site - you have to call C&A to choose.

According to the website, the soft drinks or water in the room is the "Welcome Amenity Upon Arrival".

I am still not sure what the Chef's Choice Gift/Amenity is.  Anyone know?

41 minutes ago, darthvadrouw said:

Could this be due to the fact that solo pinnacles do not pay the full single supplement ?
Wondering if this is also the case for those who do pay the 200% supplement.

Just quick math, the single supplement for pinnacle is 150%, so if the $375 discount is based on 200%   you would end up with a $281.25 discount for 150%

Perfect. You got that one right. Yes, I do now pay the 150%. So because my rate is lowered, my discount is also lowered. And probably 200% will get the full discount. Thanks for the math. 

22 minutes ago, Sea Rious said:

What it the RCCL Chef’s Choice GIft/Amenity? I never received that when I reached Diamond?

Chef's Choice amenity is typically some sort of snack plate delivered in the afternoon while you are in port.  Things like chocolate covered strawberries, cheese plate, petit fours, etc.