Tux on New Years Eve?

pugmadkate

We are ready to set sail on our 4th New Year's Eve cruise -- each year there are people that look lovely and elegant; last year, in addition, there was a guy in a red sequin tux jacket, another in an all-over flamingo suit, and even a couple of UK gentlemen in kilts. Each year everyone has a wonderful time, and the tuxes/gowns are much admired.

Go for it!:classic_smile:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

That’s not a thing people wear on Carnival.

Ignore comments like these. I have worn my tux on my last seven Carnival cruises and although you will definitely be in the minority, I promise you will not be alone in wearing one. 

• Like 4

We are on the Breeze for NYE this year and yes I do wear  Tux on every Carnival cruise we take. In fact I wear one on every elegant night. This will be our 50th cruise on Carnival and I really don't want to look like I just cut the lawn. Happy New Year every one.:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Looks like I found one of the few who thinks of Carnival as if it were Cunard 🙂

Statements like that are uncalled for.  The gentleman asked a simple question.  Will there be a lot of men in tuxedos, probably not.  But, there will be some and they will stand out as someone who enjoys dressing up for special occasions.  I have a tux and wear it on both Elegant Nights.  I have been complimented by total strangers for wearing it.  Do I feel out of place; not at all.  

If you don't have one or don't want to rent one, don't cut someone else down for wearing theirs.  If you see a person wearing shorts, do you say you found one of the few who thinks of Carnival as if it were Windstar?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Statements like that are uncalled for.  The gentleman asked a simple question.  Will there be a lot of men in tuxedos, probably not.  But, there will be some and they will stand out as someone who enjoys dressing up for special occasions.  I have a tux and wear it on both Elegant Nights.  I have been complimented by total strangers for wearing it.  Do I feel out of place; not at all.  

If you don't have one or don't want to rent one, don't cut someone else down for wearing theirs.  If you see a person wearing shorts, do you say you found one of the few who thinks of Carnival as if it were Windstar?

If that’s what you think 🙂

• 5 months later...

We were on the Miracle for NYE 2018 - I wore my Tux and my 14 YO son wore his

We got a real nice family photo that we turned into a canvas that now hangs in our living room

Do what makes you happy

Go for it.  I was actually surprised that - on my last 2 CCL cruises - the trend seems to have turned again, as most people were dressed to the nines (tuxes, suits, long gowns, cocktail dresses) on the elegant nights.  My dd and I wore sequined tops and leggings, and were fine with these outfits.  

We always go formal, yes, even on Carnival, and yes, even on 3 night cruises.

And, yes, we do stand out, but in a good way, for us. 😉

But, dress for yourself. Don't conform to others opinion.

If the dress code says jeans or shorts are OK, fine.

Our last cruise on HAL, very, very few were in gowns, long dresses, suits, or tuxes on either formal night.

My views on dressing up on Carnival cruises have definitely changed ovef the years. While my wife and I both used to dress up on elegant nights in the past, we both dress more casually now these days, which reflects the direction of Carinval’s dress code. However, I still would never wear jeans on elegant nights. I still think people should feel free to dress up if they want, to include wearing a tux. But to me, wearing a tux on Carnival would be like wearing a tux to Applebee’s, which is something I wouldn’t do.