Gratuities on RCCL

invision

30 minutes ago, proggieus said:

You don't like the way the cruise lines handle it, we get it- here is the problem

taking away auto gratuities does not hurt the cruise line, it only hurts the crew, if you really feel that strongly about it then DONT CRUISE.

If you continue to cruise then you obviously don't care that much if you are willing to stiff some crew so that you can get the recognition of handing a tip to somebody in person.

If your OK stiffing people just to feel like a big shot that's up to you, personally I couldn't live like that and would never set that example for my daughter.

Nothing wrong with removing auto gratuities, it is a passengers choice and all within the rules.  If you enjoy using auto gratuities keep doing it.  Reading these posts, you can tell many cruisers have a different view and many feel they want to make sure the cash they leave goes to the intended person.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, invision said:

It is hard to tell who you are hurting when nobody knows for certain where the gratuities are going.  Shrug

Don't stress over it. It's your money, spend it as you see fit.

Often times what get's overlooked in the tipping debates is that the crew - while working long hours, 7 days a week, in cramped living quarters away from their families for months at a time - also have minimal expenses. They do not have to pay rent, food or transportation which are the 3 biggest expenses for most of us.

I could never do what they do but don't be surprised that some of them have more disposable income than some of the passengers they are serving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Has anyone ever had a head waiter do anything deserving of a tip?

I know i haven't.

Absolutely.  If your section of the dining room is running smoothly then the head waiter is doing a good job.

Have had head waiters assist with serving, clear dishes, and pretty much help the waiter and assistant, especially if they are a new team and not quite working in sync together.  Have also had requests fulfilled - once in particular remember the head waiter finding cheesecake for my young grandson when he showed obvious disappointment that it wasn’t on the dessert menu.

i think many people confuse the head waiter with the dining room manager/maitre d. 

20 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Absolutely.  If your section of the dining room is running smoothly then the head waiter is doing a good job.

Have had head waiters assist with serving, clear dishes, and pretty much help the waiter and assistant, especially if they are a new team and not quite working in sync together.  Have also had requests fulfilled - once in particular remember the head waiter finding cheesecake for my young grandson when he showed obvious disappointment that it wasn’t on the dessert menu.

Isn't this his normal duty? 🤔

What else would he do? 🤔

16 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Isn't this his normal duty? 🤔

What else would he do? 🤔

But don’t you know, tips aren’t for going above and beyond, they’re because your boss stiffs you.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bee Guy said:

Who do you tip when you eat at a restaurant ashore?

There are tip pools on land.  The waiters get tips, they give x amount to others that don't directly get tips.

And yes, I do tip in buffets if there is a server providing some service (getting drinks, clearing dishes, bring clean ones).

On 1/1/2019 at 1:34 PM, invision said:

Not to mention big buck for a Sh&&&$ internet access.  Can't wait to get Pinnacle...

M

You should talk to people who live where only satellite internet is available.

Or do you think the ship pulls a long fiber optic cable? 😄

11 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Don't stress over it. It's your money, spend it as you see fit.

Often times what get's overlooked in the tipping debates is that the crew - while working long hours, 7 days a week, in cramped living quarters away from their families for months at a time - also have minimal expenses. They do not have to pay rent, food or transportation which are the 3 biggest expenses for most of us.

I could never do what they do but don't be surprised that some of them have more disposable income than some of the passengers they are serving.

Not really.  Most of them have families at home.  So they are not paying for lodging and food for themselves, but it is not like they are single and have no land based home.

And, ah, NO, they do not have more disposable income than the passengers.  Most of them come from places were the average wages are MUCH lower than the cruisers.  In many 3rd world countries, average wages run to a few hundred dollars, PER YEAR.

Except for the "porters" who take you luggage and throw it in to the carts.  They are typically making well into 6 figures, and everyone states that they should be tipped, sometimes highly.  But funny, someone will tip a porter for a 10 second job $20, then balk and giving that to crew for 24 hour service.

• Like 3

Can I ask, if you have booked a cruise with RCCL which is all inclusive is the 18% bar top incorporated into the cruise price or should we tip bar staff seperately? We always pre pay our tips and usually tip state room attendant and MDR waiter a little more once on board but have never been all inclusive with RCCL.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

There are tip pools on land.  The waiters get tips, they give x amount to others that don't directly get tips.

And yes, I do tip in buffets if there is a server providing some service (getting drinks, clearing dishes, bring clean ones).

And if there is not a tip pool on land do you make sure that all the people behind the scenes that made your meal possible get tipped?   How about in a hotel, do you make sure all the people behind the scenes there get tipped?

14 hours ago, proggieus said:

You don't like the way the cruise lines handle it, we get it- here is the problem

taking away auto gratuities does not hurt the cruise line, it only hurts the crew, if you really feel that strongly about it then DONT CRUISE.

If you continue to cruise then you obviously don't care that much if you are willing to stiff some crew so that you can get the recognition of handing a tip to somebody in person.

If your OK stiffing people just to feel like a big shot that's up to you, personally I couldn't live like that and would never set that example for my daughter.

No one is doing anything the cruise line does not allow.  Your issue seems to be with the cruise line policy.  Let the CEO know your thoughts. It is more productive than fighting with strangers.    Mbayley@rccl.com 

Not saying all of you, but some of you just come across as really cheap every time this topic comes up (If you have a strong reaction to that statement then it's probably you 😂)...

So, just wondering, do you cheap ones try and argue that you shouldn't have to pay ports fees and taxes if you don't get off or do get off and don't like it? After all, you're not seeing the port or using its services or it's not up to your standard....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GarlicBread said:

Not saying all of you, but some of you just come across as really cheap every time this topic comes up (If you have a strong reaction to that statement then it's probably you 😂)...

So, just wondering, do you cheap ones try and argue that you shouldn't have to pay ports fees and taxes if you don't get off or do get off and don't like it? After all, you're not seeing the port or using its services or it's not up to your standard....

Perhaps it not that they are cheap.  Perhaps it's that they object to attempts to guilt them into conformity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GarlicBread said:

WHAT !!  Gratuities on Port fees and taxes.  Don't give them any ideas...

M

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, GarlicBread said:

I believe your post just proved the point for many on here.  

Taxes and port fees are part of the cruise fare, and NOT an OPTIONAL charge. 

• Like 2

How many paths and turns can a tipping thread go? 

1. 30 years ago, the cruise line gave me a piece of paper that explained the tipping amounts that is recommended.  Each one of those people would than tip backwards to the people you did not see. 

2. Today, the employees did not like that system, so they have automatic tips.  Reason?  Now they are more assured of getting what they have always gotten, tips.  They also no longer of to tip back wards since the cruise lines use their own formula.

3. Wages.  They sign a contract, and they know what is expected. 

4. Subsidizing wages.  Really?  If they remove tips, than the price goes up.  You are still paying their wages, either way.  If you don't like the system, that has been in place for decades, than get an executive job at the cruise lines, and make the change.  Until than, the contracts for the employees and the fact that their "in your opinion, low wage" jobs will continue to work for them, since most likely, in their opinion, it is a great job. 

At the end of the day.  I do not remove tips, but am glad I don't have to hand out the tips.  Drinks, have 18% added, and even the packages.  I never add tips, and never feel the need to add more than the 18%.  Specialty restaurants have the tip included.  I paid the tip, and if I tip extra, than that would be my business, but for this statement, I paid already, and never feel the need to do it again.  Tipping on a bottle of water.  If you are buying the water, you already are buying something you can get for free, so why complain about a tip. 

Tips are part of the whole price.  Once on the ship, I prepaid everything, and can say, that my ending balance is always below $50.00. 

Two other things.  It is not my business how an employee gets paid.  I also don't care how the prepaid tips, or any tip, is managed once it leaves my hand, or my account.  It's just part of the cost, and I just don't care what happens to it. 

I don't tip extra to get better service.  I expect them to give me the same service, that a "pretipper" gets.  That includes the bar.

I also do not disclose, or "brag" about how much I tip extra.  Just like the employees paycheck, my tips, are my business. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

How many paths and turns can a tipping thread go? 

1. 30 years ago, the cruise line gave me a piece of paper that explained the tipping amounts that is recommended.  Each one of those people would than tip backwards to the people you did not see. 

2. Today, the employees did not like that system, so they have automatic tips.  Reason?  Now they are more assured of getting what they have always gotten, tips.  They also no longer of to tip back wards since the cruise lines use their own formula.

3. Wages.  They sign a contract, and they know what is expected. 

4. Subsidizing wages.  Really?  If they remove tips, than the price goes up.  You are still paying their wages, either way.  If you don't like the system, that has been in place for decades, than get an executive job at the cruise lines, and make the change.  Until than, the contracts for the employees and the fact that their "in your opinion, low wage" jobs will continue to work for them, since most likely, in their opinion, it is a great job. 

At the end of the day.  I do not remove tips, but am glad I don't have to hand out the tips.  Drinks, have 18% added, and even the packages.  I never add tips, and never feel the need to add more than the 18%.  Specialty restaurants have the tip included.  I paid the tip, and if I tip extra, than that would be my business, but for this statement, I paid already, and never feel the need to do it again.  Tipping on a bottle of water.  If you are buying the water, you already are buying something you can get for free, so why complain about a tip. 

Tips are part of the whole price.  Once on the ship, I prepaid everything, and can say, that my ending balance is always below $50.00. 

Two other things.  It is not my business how an employee gets paid.  I also don't care how the prepaid tips, or any tip, is managed once it leaves my hand, or my account.  It's just part of the cost, and I just don't care what happens to it. 

I don't tip extra to get better service.  I expect them to give me the same service, that a "pretipper" gets.  That includes the bar.

I also do not disclose, or "brag" about how much I tip extra.  Just like the employees paycheck, my tips, are my business. 

Tip the way it works best for you!   I never worry when I am eating out if someone else tips or doesn't tip and  I don't think twice about it on a cruise ship who tips and doesn't tip.  I simply don't care.  I don't agree with a lot of what you say but respect your opinion.  I for one would never prepay a tip and prefer to tip directly and not give my tip money to the cruise line and let them decide who they will share it with.  This is why we have choices.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SRF said:

And, ah, NO, they do not have more disposable income than the passengers.  Most of them come from places were the average wages are MUCH lower than the cruisers.  In many 3rd world countries, average wages run to a few hundred dollars, PER YEAR.

Yes, exactly. And since they come from low wage/low cost of living countries, the wages offered by the cruise lines - comparatively speaking - are generous. As pointed out previously, many employees cheerfully return year after year. They wouldn't do that if the pay wasn't there.

3 hours ago, chalky2012 said:

Can I ask, if you have booked a cruise with RCCL which is all inclusive is the 18% bar top incorporated into the cruise price or should we tip bar staff seperately? We always pre pay our tips and usually tip state room attendant and MDR waiter a little more once on board but have never been all inclusive with RCCL.

I'm not sure what you mean by all-inclusive?  You have to pay for your bar drinks and 18% is added automatically.

If you buy the Deluxe Drink Package, which is as close to all inclusive as you can get on a ship, the 18% is added automatically to the package price. Either way, the 18& can not be removed. Feel free to tip extra.

From what I understand, the bar tab tip goes to the bar staff, not the general tip pool shared among room attendants, waitstaff, etc,

Edited by HBE4

1 hour ago, invision said:

WHAT !!  Gratuities on Port fees and taxes.  Don't give them any ideas...

M

Don't you think the people collecting Port fee and those who work in the Tax Revenue dept should be tipped for their hard work?? They have mouths to feed, you know. 😃

• Haha 1