"party/wild scene" on ships - is it real?

arinie17

You will likely see skimpy bikinis and a speedo or two, but it’s no different than what you’d see on a normal beach.

I’ve seen a couple women in the Solarium unhook their bikini top while lying on their stomach, but that is an adult only area. Once, and only once, I’ve seen a lady sunbathe topless there.

Edited by vacationlover_mn

Many more experienced cruisers here than me, but in my 13 something RCI cruises the only thing I can think of that meets this description is the Quest game show. And the line is very specific about it being an adult show. I've never thought of Royal as a party line. Even at designated parties the guests always seem pretty reserved to me. I have a 13 and 16 year old and in their eight sailings they've never experienced anything like what you're describing (to my knowledge). 

On one of the Caribbean cruises this German women would take her young child and her into the outdoor shower next to the pool and take off her child's swimsuit and hers also almost every day around 3 pm. People seemed to gather around that time waiting for her to come out of the pol. LOL

Sailing mainly on longer Princess cruises where the ave age is mid 70s+, I’m kind of glad there’s no topless women.🤪😱

Though Mrs Gut is devastated as pretty soon she’ll have to admit having slept with a 60 year old.

• Haha 1

The worst party scene I ever saw on a ship was a giant quinceañera celebration from hundreds of girls from South America.  It was horrible, but mostly because of the screaming and chatter from hundreds of poorly behaved 15-year old girls.  They were everywhere and they were obnoxious.  They also were dressed really inappropriately for children, which 15-year olds definitely still are.  BUT mostly the screaming and woo-hoo'ing.

That's a party I hope I never cruise with again.  I've never seen the stuff you co-worker talked about.  I've seen some stuff at The Quest that might make you consider investing in eye bleach, but not general stuff like you mentioned.

51 minutes ago, poncho1973 said:

The worst party scene I ever saw on a ship was a giant quinceañera celebration from hundreds of girls from South America.  It was horrible, but mostly because of the screaming and chatter from hundreds of poorly behaved 15-year old girls.  They were everywhere and they were obnoxious.  They also were dressed really inappropriately for children, which 15-year olds definitely still are.  BUT mostly the screaming and woo-hoo'ing.

That's a party I hope I never cruise with again.  I've never seen the stuff you co-worker talked about.  I've seen some stuff at The Quest that might make you consider investing in eye bleach, but not general stuff like you mentioned.

I can wholeheartedly agree with you on that about the quinceanera. They take over the ship along with the parents. Rude at the elevators, bring maraccas to musical events and you cannot enjoy the music yourself. It was a cruise out of Puerto Rico. They are totally into themselves and their party at the inconvenience of others. 

On 1/11/2019 at 2:44 PM, puppycanducruise said:

I think your co-worker is just trying to rattle you.

Ignore that person.

Have a great cruise.

Exactly! They actually sound a little jealous and want you to feel let down about such an amazing vacay coming up!!! 

Celebrity often offers drink packages included now!

Recenty on 14 night Eclipse I saw many older passengers loud obnoxious and drunk! 

By the pool shouting and yelling at each other. In the elevator with drinks in their hands and tank top shirts on in the evening. Alcohol is a great relaxer of proper conduct. Young drunks are funny. Old drunks are sad!

Before drinking packages became deals you would notice passengers drunk the first few nights. As soon as they notice their charges for drinks they would calm down.

NCL started the inclusive drink package now Celebrity is copying. RCL seems to be less of this nonsense so it’s replaced Celebrity as our favorite cruise line.

Passengers codeof conduct is usually enforced. If you see or hear someone being rude report it. Security does a great job.

On 1/11/2019 at 1:31 PM, audome78 said:

On our very first Royal cruise, on the Nordic Empires in 2003, my wife and I were recruited by Dan, Dan, the Party Man to participate in the Fruit in the Suit pool game. 3 couples, a large basket of assorted fruits thrown in the pool, and a mad scramble to true said pieces as fruit and stuff then in the wife's suit. There is video evidence, despite my attempts to destroy it. My wife's opening comment as we drove into the pool :."touch that pineapple, and you're a dead man". 

Yes, Royal had the Fruit in the Suit on 1980-90's cruises as a Regular. Which was interesting as Speedo was popular. Back then before Royal became the Family cruise is now at most might I'd see an infant or a couple 18yr olds traveling alone as only youngsters. Also would see 1-2 Topless woman and people changing out of wet swimsuits at their chairs by Pool but that was usually non-American's. Now at most might see bunch of thongs but ships are pretty mellow now...

Edited by ONECRUISER

7 minutes ago, cementhands said:

Celebrity often offers drink packages included now!

Recenty on 14 night Eclipse I saw many older passengers loud obnoxious and drunk! 

By the pool shouting and yelling at each other. In the elevator with drinks in their hands and tank top shirts on in the evening. Alcohol is a great relaxer of proper conduct. Young drunks are funny. Old drunks are sad!

Before drinking packages became deals you would notice passengers drunk the first few nights. As soon as they notice their charges for drinks they would calm down.

NCL started the inclusive drink package now Celebrity is copying. RCL seems to be less of this nonsense so it’s replaced Celebrity as our favorite cruise line.

Passengers codeof conduct is usually enforced. If you see or hear someone being rude report it. Security does a great job.

Oh, I don't know I think young drunks are just as sad.

21 minutes ago, BND said:

Oh, I don't know I think young drunks are just as sad.

Young drunks can be funny although often times, they try to hard to be funny/cool and just become annoying.

Older drunks have the "been there/done that" attitude so they don't have to try as hard to impress, plus have some enjoyable stories from their younger drinking days. 😉

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

Young drunks can be funny although often times, they try to hard to be funny/cool and just become annoying.

Older drunks have the "been there/done that" attitude so they don't have to try as hard to impress, plus have some enjoyable stories from their younger drinking days. 😉

You have  your opinion and I have mine.  I don't think anyone who is drunk impresses anyone.  

• Like 1

We took our kids on the Liberty back in 2009.There definitely was a topless sundeck at that time because I accidentally found it with my 12 year old son. There was a sign at the bottom of the steps before heading up that it was the St. Tropez sundeck but my naive self had no idea what that meant so up we went. Once we got up there I realized what it was and just turned around and went back down. I’m guessing my son noticed what was up there but he never brought it up and neither did I 😊 

I haven’t seen a St Tropez area on any of our cruises since then. 

7 minutes ago, BND said:

You have  your opinion and I have mine.  I don't think anyone who is drunk impresses anyone.  

Hence, my comment about people that that are drunk "trying" to impress others.

I agree with you though. Getting drunk is not very impressive. Quite the opposite. Being able to consume large amounts of alcohol and remain coherent, civil and upright. Now that's impressive!

Just got back from a 9 day on the Serenade and I saw nothing like this. My previous 7 cruises were with Carnival and we saw plenty of what you describe in behavior, but I never even saw a person I would describe as drunk on this cruise. 

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:30 PM, jptoz said:

If anyone finds the nude sundeck on a royal ship please let me know. Asking for a friend.

It's not advertised as such but I have seen topless sunbathers on the deck over the Sky Bar on both Explorer and Adventure.

On 1/11/2019 at 7:32 PM, TimeToGetNauti said:

Sailings from the Mediterranean may have a nude sundeck,

I've cruised the Med a number times on different lines including RC and have never found a nude sundeck......unfortunately

1 hour ago, readytolose said:

We took our kids on the Liberty back in 2009.There definitely was a topless sundeck at that time because I accidentally found it with my 12 year old son. There was a sign at the bottom of the steps before heading up that it was the St. Tropez sundeck but my naive self had no idea what that meant so up we went. Once we got up there I realized what it was and just turned around and went back down. I’m guessing my son noticed what was up there but he never brought it up and neither did I 😊 

I haven’t seen a St Tropez area on any of our cruises since then. 

On Liberty,  the St. Tropez deck has been repurposed and now has Liberty Dunes, the mini-golf course.  Prior to that, I do remember seeing occasional nudity or an occasional sexy massage (under towels thankfully) going on as it was a secluded, quiet deck

.Don't think that will happen anymore with families going to the mini-golf.

I remember them on Celebrity back in the early 2000.  I saw it on my 2003 Caribbean cruise, but didn't see it in my 2005, but that was Alaska, so it was a little too cold to go out on deck for sunbathing.

I think the best party cruise I went on was my NYE Royal Caribbean 10 nighter in 2014, but it was only the New Years eve day.  There was some serious partying that night that I hadn't seen on a cruise ship in quite some time.  Fortunately, as rowdy as it got, it never got uncontrolled, so it was just an amazing night all around.  Who knew that the Grandeur could host such a wild time.