Explorer of the Seas - 3 questions

M-H-B

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out the depth of the pools on EOS? I want to make sure that my son will be able to stand in at least one of them before I let him get excited about the pools. 

Also is it ok to bring fruit with us onboard (eg a few pears to keep in the stateroom) and if so, I’m assuming I put it in my carry on?

lastly I’ve seen people on here mention that if you’ve purchased items such as the Key etc and the price goes lower than what you paid that you’ll receive a refund of the difference. Is this automatic or do you have to catch the it when the price reduces and either cancel/rebook or call RCI?

thanks in advance from this first timer! 

1 hour ago, M-H-B said:

Also is it ok to bring fruit with us onboard (eg a few pears to keep in the stateroom) and if so, I’m assuming I put it in my carry on?

Bringing on fruit should not be a problem, though you may be asked not to bring the fruit off the ship.

• Thanks 1

I'm 5'2" and I think all of the pools on all the ships I've been on have been over my head in the deep end.  

They do have life jackets to borrow in the pool if your son doesn't know how to swim.  (And as a side note, I highly recommend swim lessons -- it's a life skill everyone should have.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To anyone replying to this thread, if you have been on Explorer recently, WHO was the Activity Manager on your sailing?  Let me know the date of your sailing as well..I keep a list on Cruise Critic of the Activity Managers on board Royal ships and the best information comes directly from cruisers.  Thanks in advance.

Can't remember exactly but they start at about 5' from memory. I'm 6' and can just keep my nose above water on my toes at the deep end.

I'm on EOS again in 54 days so if that's before your cruise I can report back if nobody else does.

As for fruit, that shouldn't be a problem but you won't be able to take it off in ports due to customs. Note that there's usually fruit available in the Windjammer too.

11 hours ago, M-H-B said:

lastly I’ve seen people on here mention that if you’ve purchased items such as the Key etc and the price goes lower than what you paid that you’ll receive a refund of the difference. Is this automatic or do you have to catch the it when the price reduces and either cancel/rebook or call RCI?

I've never seen this. I've always had to cancel in cruise planner and rebook. Funds usually come back onto my card in a few days.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ewing said:

I'm on EOS again in 54 days so if that's before your cruise I can report back if nobody else does.

That’s our cruise too, we can’t wait! Thanks for your reply! 

20 hours ago, M-H-B said:

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out the depth of the pools on EOS? I want to make sure that my son will be able to stand in at least one of them before I let him get excited about the pools. 

thanks in advance from this first timer! 

The pool is in a safe USA or Australia  standard 

fruit no problem but there’s plenty onboard,you will jut shake your head why you have it.

Australians don’t get price drop protection like our friends in America.

But you can book through a USA agent 

There is a Australian Cruise critic site,come over 

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

There is a sign on the Grandeur that says that you may neither take off nor bring on any food items.  This is aimed at ports of call, but I assume that they mean at embarkation as well.

(obviously, enforcement is inconsistent)

I did not understand why the person would want to bring onboard fruit at the embarkation point.  I can understand boxed staples (certain snacks eg)  that people might worry they won't have onboard for them, but fruit.   At times, I take off fruit (banana, apple) from the ship when heading to an excursion and that is always been allowed - never returning with fruit to the ship. 

36 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

...  At times, I take off fruit (banana, apple) from the ship when heading to an excursion and that is always been allowed - never returning with fruit to the ship. 

That's the dangerous thing to do and I'm surprised you are allowed to do that.  It can be dangerous to local crops.  I remember cruising in California, and they didn't want any food outside once we were within some certain distance of the coast. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

That's the dangerous thing to do and I'm surprised you are allowed to do that.  It can be dangerous to local crops.  I remember cruising in California, and they didn't want any food outside once we were within some certain distance of the coast. 

Not only dangerous but in many port stops against the law. I am surprised to hear it allowed anywhere.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Not only dangerous but in many port stops against the law. I am surprised to hear it allowed anywhere.

On Cozumel they have dogs checking out guests before they enter the port area.  They told us the dogs were checking for food.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

On Cozumel they have dogs checking out guests before they enter the port area.  They told us the dogs were checking for food.

When we docked in Bermuda last cruise the amount of food that was sitting on a table as we were exiting to get to the pier was staggering. It could have feed a small village. Really a waste of food.

I too was under the impression that you couldn't bring unpackaged food onboard at any point.

There's a difference between being ALLOWED to bring fruit on or off the ship, and whether you GET AWAY with bringing fruit on or off the ship.

You should NEVER bring any food that is not factory-sealed from one ecosystem to another.  That's how diseases and pests get spread.  

If you have a banana in your bag when you leave for an excursion, you're SNEAKING it off the ship, not being ALLOWED to take it off the ship.  Huge difference (and shame on you)!!!

• Like 2

If you are sailing out of Sydney, you can't take any fruit on-board. The only food items that you are permitted to take on are pre-packaged chocolates, biscuits, chips etc.

These rules are due to Australia's strict quarantine laws which are heavily enforced at the pier. Don't take the pears!

We sailed on Ovation of the Seas last week and the quarantine is very strict. We saw some people fined $400 for trying to take fruit on after walking past all the signage stating that you must dispose of it.

Edited by jasper15
added to post
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, jasper15 said:

If you are sailing out of Sydney, you can't take any fruit on-board. The only food items that you are permitted to take on are pre-packaged chocolates, biscuits, chips etc.

These rules are due to Australia's strict quarantine laws which are heavily enforced at the pier. Don't take the pears!

We sailed on Ovation of the Seas last week and the quarantine is very strict. We saw some people fined $400 for trying to take fruit on after walking past all the signage stating that you must dispose of it.

Oh damn! But thanks for letting me know Jasper! I have a very fussy eater and pears are currently one of the good foods he’ll willingly eat so I’m going to now pray that they have them in the ship. 

5 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Driving into California you have to go through agricultural checkpoints. They let some in from Grocery stores, not fruit stands.

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

Regarding the pool....... doesn’t explorer have the splash away bay with water slide? Or is that a “next dry dock” enhancement?

No splash away bay for the Explorer at the moment unfortunately 

1 hour ago, NateUpNorth said:

Regarding the pool....... doesn’t explorer have the splash away bay with water slide? Or is that a “next dry dock” enhancement?

Waaaaaaaaaaaay way back, when Explorer first came out, she had a water slide.  Around 2003 some revoltingly disgusting teens ripped it off its connections and tossed it overboard.

Perhaps she will get a new one, along with the kind of stuff that Mariner got and Navigator is currently getting, in her next drydock.

On 1/15/2019 at 2:49 PM, M-H-B said:

Oh damn! But thanks for letting me know Jasper! I have a very fussy eater and pears are currently one of the good foods he’ll willingly eat so I’m going to now pray that they have them in the ship. 

Not as good, but will he eat canned ones?