Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

1 hour ago, emam said:

Some added to the right as well as on top. What do you reckon the oblong hole is on the lower part. It isn't there on the previous photo, though those yellow girders are above it.

How long is it since they started construction, just wondering when they will start the next one. Probably when Iona is finished. Does she go somewhere else for the inside work.

Not sure about the hole. 

Construction possibly started October/November 2018 at a different yard with the floating engine room unit. The NCL ship in the dock will be floated out first into the harbour for finishing. At the time the 2 Iona sections will be joined and the stern assembly started. Most of the interior work and cabin units installed whilst in the dock, with final finishing and the Skydome installed in the harbour. During this time they will bring the next ships engine unit in and start work similar to Iona. 

I have only seen autumn mentioned as a leaving the yard date for the NCL ship. 

5 hours ago, emam said:

Some added to the right as well as on top. What do you reckon the oblong hole is on the lower part. It isn't there on the previous photo, though those yellow girders are above it.

How long is it since they started construction, just wondering when they will start the next one. Probably when Iona is finished. Does she go somewhere else for the inside work.

The long hollow section is the deck below the promenade deck, and according to the deck plans this will have balcony cabins, which have yet to be fitted.

Edited by terrierjohn

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

The long hollow section is the deck below the promenade deck, and according to the deck plans this will have balcony cabins, which have yet to be fitted.

On the deck plans, it looks like the balcony cabins are on the promenade deck but they are actually a deck above  overlooking the promenade deck. So deck 8 is actually a double decker. We have booked one of these while onboard earlier in the year and had it clarified that they are actually above the promenade.

16 minutes ago, Addict said:

On the deck plans, it looks like the balcony cabins are on the promenade deck but they are actually a deck above  overlooking the promenade deck. So deck 8 is actually a double decker. We have booked one of these while onboard earlier in the year and had it clarified that they are actually above the promenade.

There are balconies on deck 5 as well, so this section is decks 5, 6 and 7, and deck 7 will  presumably house the lifeboats as well.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There are balconies on deck 5 as well, so this section is decks 5, 6 and 7, and deck 7 will  presumably house the lifeboats as well.

Ah ok. But I was told there are definitely no balconies actually on public promenade areas. Only overlooking them.

I was told the balcony cabins will be a few feet above the promenade and will have privacy glass installed so people can’t see in! I wasn’t going to take a chance and booked a different cabin. To be honest though I don’t think young man had a clue and was making it up as he went along.

A couple of photos from Meyer Werft of the lift today

.... Wow!
Today we have raised the 970 M2 Steel Glass Roof "Skydome" for p & O Iona in a spectacular process with a 750 ton crane on the swimming part. The roof weighs 105 tons and consists of 340 insulating glasses, 170 of them in different formats with a maximum length of 3 meters.

B44D4F39-AAC8-488D-8035-9CF27554CF8B.jpeg

BB67C53B-B211-4271-9D7E-C4BE101BFE7A.jpeg

Edited by jaydee6969
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Thanks jaydee. A fascinating video. It is just a pity we have to wait until May next year to actually see it. 

Won’t be until late June for me till I am onboard. But living in Southampton I will try and see her arrival. 

16 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Some progress this week, now looks like a ship!!

05.08.2019_2_W466.jpg

Fantastic, now we get an idea of what the position of our balcony cabin looks like, overlooking the promenade.

• Like 1