What has happened to Cruise Critic?

AFuncruiser

On 1/28/2019 at 10:26 AM, LynnTTT said:

I hate the new cruisecritic web site. Too difficult to negotiate, the roll call signup procedure doesn't seem to work and I've had friends say they don't even visit the site anymore. 

The new site makes it much less pleasurable to read for whatever reason.   I used to visit numerous CC boards every day and now read only occasionally.   

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 10:22 AM, AFuncruiser said:

On previous cruises Holland America roll calls for cruises of 10 days or more used to have 20-30 people sign up.

I am booked on a 15 day Panama cruise and no one is interested in roll call? What has happened..

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

727 days at sea

85 cruises

14 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

Many things, IMHO

1) Cruisecritic website is no longer easy to navigate, those members who aren't as computer savvy find it challenging.

2) There are other websites with cruise info/pages i.e. Facebook and they are active

3) New members to the site don't even know what a Roll Call is!

4) Too many snarky remarks/replies to innocent questions from new members.  So they just stop asking.  Stop reading and eventually stop logging in to CruiseCritic.  I know I have referred people here and get the response:  "I went on there once and asked a question and someone snapped at me and treated me like I was an idiot"

5) Too much information all in one place!  if you are cruising Holland America, you want that info, Princess, you want that info, etc.  

6) Cruisecritic comes across as a stuffy, "lets show each other up"  website.............not friendly. 

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, VTcruisenut said:

4) Too many snarky remarks/replies to innocent questions from new members.  So they just stop asking.  Stop reading and eventually stop logging in to CruiseCritic.  I know I have referred people here and get the response:  "I went on there once and asked a question and someone snapped at me and treated me like I was an idiot"

This still happens way too much. There are a few that only seem to be able to post “google is your friend” or some other variation of “discussed a lot here.... use search”, or “call HAL and ask”.

JMO but those are either unhelpful or downright rude.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I started 2 B2Bs for August 2020. It was so difficult to find the right place and then finally started them in the 'if you don't find your roll call, click here' so I'm not even sure others will find the thread?! 

5 hours ago, HokiePoq said:

The new site makes it much less pleasurable to read for whatever reason.   I used to visit numerous CC boards every day and now read only occasionally.   

I  truly hate this format and cannot  start to guess wha t about it constitutes  an improvement from  the previous format.

I spend a fraction of  the time on CC now  compared to how many times a day/week  I used to come  to CC.  I am as used to it as I will ever  be and this forum now stresses me.  It is supposed to be enjoyable  No?   

image.png.2b2b9e00c32c1b4809b70e314fb0188f.png

Sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 7:22 AM, AFuncruiser said:

On previous cruises Holland America roll calls for cruises of 10 days or more used to have 20-30 people sign up.

I am booked on a 15 day Panama cruise and no one is interested in roll call? What has happened..

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

727 days at sea

85 cruises

14 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

I've always had active roll calls. Sometimes they are late in getting it together due to an organizer effort.  did you start a roll call yourself? it takes a lot to organize one, i do know that, and not from experience. Roll Calls do not start themselves,  if you are brave enough to start a roll call and organize a meet and greet,  do  so. when do you sail?? have fun. i love the panama cruise....

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

I  truly hate this format and cannot  start to guess wha t about it constitutes  an improvement from  the previous format.

I spend a fraction of  the time on CC now  compared to how many times a day/week  I used to come  to CC.  I am as used to it as I will ever  be and this forum now stresses me.  It is supposed to be enjoyable  No?   

image.png.2b2b9e00c32c1b4809b70e314fb0188f.png

Sail.noordam@gmail.com

I MISS YOU SAILS!

I so agree with you 100%. I so wish we still had our old version. Yes I navigate ok through the site but if it wasn’t for  Brian alias POA-1 and Jacque alias Kazu I would of left so long ago.

I have friends here over the years

you Sails

John Copper 10

Roy Ranfinmd who is cruising now to Antarctica

Jacqui Kazu 

I can go on.

The site is not as interesting like the old days.

I have 2 cruises coming Round trip Hawaii  Tahiti home to San Diego next month and

Rotterdam March 11 2020 San Diego to FLL!

Sails we are doing Oceania  right after doing 2 back To backs TA to Rome and Monte Carlo to Barcelona!! First time we are jumping ship to Oceania. HAL has changed! Been to Europe soooo many times and first time on another ship.

Take Care Sails!

Denise😊

I think it may be because the 'new improved' website is actually more difficult to navigate.  Things I used to do with one click now take 3 or 4 and sometimes still don't take me where I want to go.   I couldn't even find a roll call for one cruise that is only a few months out that we were thinking of booking.

After all these months, still frustrated with the changes to this site.

This is the method I use to find Roll Calls or to go to the General forum.   I recognize that some would like an easier solution but this seems easy enough for me.  Once I find the page I want I put the link on my desktop.

31983574007_54692d9daf_o.jpg

On 1/28/2019 at 8:32 AM, kazu said:

All of our roll calls are quite active for our different segments. 🙂  And have been in the past.

I think a lot depends on the people sailing, the itinerary, etc.

If you post with something to talk about that may attract  interest and give people something  to talk about - whether it be ports, research, activities on board, etc.

Keep in mind that the “find your roll call” tool is not working properly so people need to find them the old fashioned way 😉

The problem is that A April  18th  Royal Princess Roll Call is hidden from the cruise critic members searching to see it  .  Placing a new roll call up  for posting is unattainable   for the general public  .We had some one do it the old fashioned way & vt is a no go .  Sorry that Cruise Critic is having those issues with their web designer  .Perhaps they should  go back to the old web site until all of the bugs are out of this one,imo 

17 hours ago, VTcruisenut said:

Many things, IMHO

5) Too much information all in one place!  if you are cruising Holland America, you want that info, Princess, you want that info, etc.  

6) Cruisecritic comes across as a stuffy, "lets show each other up"  website.............not friendly. 

I heartily agree with you.  I can count on my fingers the number of times I have posted in the last six months or so.  CC used to be fun but the introduction of this new format as well as the general nastiness has dampened my enthusiasm. 

We are taking a 14 day cruise this summer and for the first time ever, I have not signed onto the roll call as soon as it appeared.  It’s possible that I may in time, but I doubt it.  I am sailing with my very good friend and shopping buddy from the West Coast and that’s good enough for me.  

I am am very grateful for some enduring friendships I have made in the past because of CC.   

Maybe if I start lurking a bit after a long absence my enthusiasm will return.  

• Like 2

There is so much truth in your comments.

posting innocent questions can be like walking on egg shells. And too many heated arguments over minutiae. And also the loyal apologists who feel their cruise line of choice can do no wrong.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I think it may be because the 'new improved' website is actually more difficult to navigate.  Things I used to do with one click now take 3 or 4 and sometimes still don't take me where I want to go.   I couldn't even find a roll call for one cruise that is only a few months out that we were thinking of booking.

After all these months, still frustrated with the changes to this site.

I miss the CC I had come to enjoy so much,  It got me  through recovery from  two open heart surgeries.   this new  'incarnation' gives me high blood pressure.  When I was recovering , I knew I could come to CC and 'think' ships, sail ing , HAL. (smile and relax)  Now I think of 'how in  the world did the 'powers that be' let this happen  to this site?   I wonder how much they like it now.  🙂

ANY CHANCE at all we can please, beg, cry our way to getting our enjoyable forum back?

I  literally hesitate each  time I think to come here.     It is AWFUL now, IMO

image.png.b863262b45d7cc5b63e79ef82dd13dda.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

Warning -- what follows is a bit of a rant.

What I see and hear is a lot of complaining about a free site that had not had a major technical update in years. I imagine that what the powers at CC did was probably highly necessary and overdue in order to ensure continued functioning and technical support.  Personally I don't find the look and feel of the site is very different. I have had to make small changes in how I navigate around the site, but I have just about adapted to those and now do most of them without thinking.  Old tricks and shortcuts are replaced by new ones; that's what the world online is like in 2019. I've been here since 2005 and I'm not planning on going elsewhere -- realistically, where else is there with this depth of info on cruising?  

I never used Tapatalk so I have no horse in that race, but for the average user who interfaces this site via computer, it really hasn't seemed like a big deal, other than the periodic outages while things are being fixed/tweaked. And I'm sure that there will be additional fixes and tweaks that will make things better that seem 'broken' now.  

All the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth must also drive some potential new users away with a feeling that we are all just a bunch of insular grouches unwilling or unable to accept change (and new members) easily. 

Maybe I'm just unique, but what matters to me is not really how easily or not one can change a signature, mark items as read, "like" a post and/or follow it, skip forums, or post photos. What matters to me is the information shared and discussions that take place in THIS space, e.g., this little box in which we type our posts and publish them for others to read.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thank you ..I can not agree more and I could not have said it better...semi new for cruising and new to the site and I have had every question answered and went thru the change about a month after I joined my roll call and except for asking a question or to in the wrong area have enjoyed every new incite...thank you cruise critic for being here to help guide us til our tour...

52 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

What I see and hear is a lot of complaining about a free site that had not had a major technical update in years. I imagine that what the powers at CC did was probably highly necessary and overdue in order to ensure continued functioning and technical support.  Personally I don't find the look and feel of the site is very different. I have had to make small changes in how I navigate around the site, but I have just about adapted to those and now do most of them without thinking.  Old tricks and shortcuts are replaced by new ones; that's what the world online is like in 2019. I've been here since 2005 and I'm not planning on going elsewhere -- realistically, where else is there with this depth of info on cruising?  

I never used Tapatalk so I have no horse in that race, but for the average user who interfaces this site via computer, it really hasn't seemed like a big deal, other than the periodic outages while things are being fixed/tweaked. And I'm sure that there will be additional fixes and tweaks that will make things better that seem 'broken' now.  

All the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth must also drive some potential new users away with a feeling that we are all just a bunch of insular grouches unwilling or unable to accept change (and new members) easily. 

Maybe I'm just unique, but what matters to me is not really how easily or not one can change a signature, mark items as read, "like" a post and/or follow it, skip forums, or post photos. What matters to me is the information shared and discussions that take place in THIS space, e.g., this little box in which we type our posts and publish them for others to read.

Thank you.  I've been scratching my head wondering what is so difficult.  There are some small changes, but I find the site easy enough to get around.  Somehow, I doubt that the new format is preventing people from signing up for Roll Calls.  It is interesting to see the pattern that exists.  I know some of the Roll Calls for soon to be cruises had to be started before the change over, but still there was little activity while others have a large amount of activity.  Who knows?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

You’re not unique and the site is manageable if you know how to get around.

POA1 did a pile of threads with VERY helpful tips and saved anyone willing to read one pile of leg work.  Other than the site bumping me out, logging me out and being down, I can now get around quite well thanks to all of Brian’s great tips that he took the time to share with us.

I do have skin in the game for Tapatalk but I used it for pictures for my LIVE threads.  As long as HAL doesn’t enforce the byte rule, CC will do the trick well for pics.

Tapatalk takes less bytes and is faster on board.

For those on phones (I don’t use my phone for CC) the apps are much easier to read than this site.

18 hours ago, shudie said:

I started 2 B2Bs for August 2020. It was so difficult to find the right place and then finally started them in the 'if you don't find your roll call, click here' so I'm not even sure others will find the thread?! 

I see them both, right where they should be. :classic_cool:

• Like 1

@cruisemom42 @Chickadee910 @dfish @kazu

I too agree. Yes, I came aboard CC before the changes, but I did not experience many difficulties. Every time my software packages have come out with a new version, I have had to learn to play by "different rules" to get things done. Certainly would NOT want to back to word processing and spreadsheets as they were in 1985. Same is true for Websites. I never used the "old" HAL Website, but have had very little difficulty using the "new" version. I didn't have a preconceived idea of where things should be, I just learned where things are.

As to the fact that not as many are joining/posting CC: I have belonged to several other discussion groups/forums for many years. The activity on them has decreased - especially since the social media sites have come into being. It seems that only those of us who have not joined the very popular social media sites are still posting to the original groups. (Many of us have privacy concerns.) But there are still quite a few of us and our shared information is quite valuable.

I am so thankful for CC and its members who share info and opinions. I have learned much and feel much more prepared for our upcoming cruise.

• Like 1

Another newbie to the site who has found lots of very valuable info here.
I find the site easy to navigate (I use a computer) but as a new user (I think I joined just prior to some of the changes) I did not have any ingrained habits with the "old CC" that needed retraining. I am very grateful for all the info laid down by those who have been here for many years and can appreciate that it must take some getting used to if the format has changed ... but I hope that those who have been here prior to the changes will persevere and "enjoy cruising and exploring the new territory" and perhaps one day will find that the environment has once again become one where they feel comfortable.

On 1/29/2019 at 12:29 PM, VTcruisenut said:

Too many snarky remarks/replies to innocent questions from new members.  So they just stop asking.  Stop reading and eventually stop logging in to CruiseCritic.  I know I have referred people here and get the response:  "I went on there once and asked a question and someone snapped at me and treated me like I was an idiot"

I have no issues navigating the new format but I do agree with the comment above. I have noted several threads wherein many of the comments are rude and, in some cases, downright cruel. A shame - don't know why people feel the need to post if they have no useful information to impart or, assuming that one finds a post with which they take offense, simply ignore the thread and move on.

Of course, there are those who take offense to a reply when none was intended. JMHO

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 4

To be honest with the removal of the CC app I am on here much less.  The rolls calls that I have joined I have to find them each time I want to review or post on them.  I do miss the app but my cats appreciate the extra time I have for them to sleep in my lap.  If/when the app comes back I'm sure I will use it more.

This is my issue too.  When I had the app on my phone, I checked CC pretty much every day.  Now I just don't think about it very often.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 8:12 AM, Jareds_mommytoo said:

I’m the only one going on our cruise in March out of San Diego, whole ship to myself 😂🤣😉

We couldn't find a roll call for our cruise leaving in 59 days either.  When is your cruise? We are leaving March 31st for Spring Break on the Nieuw Amsterdam.