What does a butler DO?

ArtsyCraftsy

artsycraftsy--

forgot to say that you can take your bottle into the restaurants, pay the corkage fee, and if you don't finish it, they will put your cabin # on it, store it for you, and then it can be reacquired by the sommelier whenever you next want it. 

• Like 1

FYI

Aside from the good advice you have received on this thread, if you search the Oceania boards (perhaps put in the word "Butler" for the thread title) you will find numerous past threads where cruisers have discussed how they use their butlers.

We needed the ship's doctor in an emergency on our last Crystal cruise.  I called the butler.  The Dr was there in 3 minutes.

Our butlers have also given us some very personal assistance (which I won't detail here) and we will not book a cabin without a butler at this point.

• Like 1

It is wise of you to ask this question.  We didn't utilize the butler on our first cruise in a PH suite.  We just didn't know what to ask for.  We recently returned from a cruise in a PH and we were much wiser this time.  My favorite thing was the chocolate covered strawberries at 5:00 every day.  I am missing them now!  We also enjoyed breakfast in suite each day.  It was nice to have a leisurely breakfast in our room before getting ready for a day of touring.  We weren't feeling up to dining in Toscana on one of the nights we had reservations.  We called our butler and he changed our reservation to another night for us.  He and our room steward worked together to make our cruise experience even more memorable.  Now that we have utilized the butler service, we are hooked.

Starlaker, we're in your boat.  We didn't use the butler at all at first.  Then when I tore my meniscus the day before boarding, we discovered just how much we could use him!

People who don't want to use him -- you aren't compelled to do so!  Just tell him you don't see the need for his services.  He will probably be crestfallen, but then your absence makes it easier for passengers in his 15 other rooms.

The worst problem I've had with butlers is when they insist on going through their whole initial speech, even when we tell them we've been on numerous cruises.  Most of them feel they have to go through the whole spiel no matter what.  That's fine the first or maybe even second time ... but beyond that, you know as well as they do.  Well, maybe ALMOST as well.

Mura

23 minutes ago, Mura said:

The worst problem I've had with butlers is when they insist on going through their whole initial speech, even when we tell them we've been on numerous cruises.  Most of them feel they have to go through the whole spiel no matter what. 

The Germans have a saying "Deine Sorgen möchte ich haben" meaning "I would like to have your worries". :classic_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

The Germans have a saying "Deine Sorgen möchte ich haben" meaning "I would like to have your worries". :classic_biggrin:

In my latest job, which I just retired from, I was obligated to educate my patients (new moms) about many issues, no matter how many children they had. It's an obligation that some jobs require the employees to do....I just politely listen.  :classic_biggrin:

On 2/3/2019 at 1:02 AM, Go-Bucks! said:

In my latest job, which I just retired from, I was obligated to educate my patients (new moms) about many issues, no matter how many children they had. It's an obligation that some jobs require the employees to do....I just politely listen.  :classic_biggrin:

Right think to do.   That is the routine they are told to do.   Easy to listen.

Yes, it's easy to listen.  But when we've just boarded and want to unpack and get ready for the boat drill, we really don't want to spend time listening to a spiel that we could give ourselves.

As I said, it has NOT been necessary on more recent cruises.  Maybe once they see you're at a higher status, they no it isn't necessary.  I imagine they'd be happy to dispense with giving information.

Perhaps the "rules" have changed in the past few years.

Agreed, there are worse problems to be concerned about.

I wouldn't try to compare the need to educate new moms with the butler's need to let you know just what he can do!

Mura

38 minutes ago, Mura said:

Yes, it's easy to listen.  But when we've just boarded and want to unpack and get ready for the boat drill, we really don't want to spend time listening to a spiel that we could give ourselves.

Agree. Having heard it 20+ times we try to gently explain to them that we are familiar with the routine. The new butlers are more enthusiastic, the seasoned ones understand (or at times remember you).

4 hours ago, Mura said:

I wouldn't try to compare the need to educate new moms with the butler's need to let you know just what he can do!

I wasn't comparing the relative importance of each discussion, but rather the dictates of an employer that the employee tell their clients the things that the employer feels is necessary for them to hear.  The butlers have likely been told by their bosses that they are to explain their services to everyone and are just following the rules.

Our current butler's little talk only lasted a few minutes.

On 1/30/2019 at 5:35 AM, ArtsyCraftsy said:

So what, exactly, does a butler do?  I grew up in an environment and culture where butlers existed only in literature, so I have no experience with this.  Just trying to get some info and ideas so that I don’t make a complete fool of myself or unintentionally insult someone.

I had similar questions as you before we started the current world cruise in a PH1.  I've had a butler on a previous cruise on Celebrity, but he was a loser.  Rarely saw him and he frequently gave us wrong info....one was that we had to pay to eat in the private Blu restaurant (although we were in a suite).  After 3 days onboard, we decided to go to Blu and ask them.  They said "where have you been?  We've been waiting for you!"

Anyway, from what our current butler told us, I think he will mainly be the "room service delivery guy" (he's done this once).  We've been onboard now for 5 days and tonight he stopped by with a bowl of mixed nuts....he said that since we didn't ask him to do much for us, he wanted to bring us something nice.  All I can think is that maybe his other passengers are running him ragged and we're the easy ones.  :classic_laugh:   We plan to have tomorrow's breakfast in our suite before leaving the ship and will occasionally have other meals en suite too.  But short of food delivery, I can't picture needing his services very often.  We already have 36 specialty restaurant reservations made and all of our spa reservations are made too.

BTW, he's a very nice guy and seems anxious to help with anything we need, so we plan to ask him if we do.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

3 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

<< snip >>

Anyway, from what our current butler told us, I think he will mainly be the "room service delivery guy" (he's done this once).  We've been onboard now for 5 days and tonight he stopped by with a bowl of mixed nuts....he said that since we didn't ask him to do much for us, he wanted to bring us something nice.  All I can think is that maybe his other passengers are running him ragged and we're the easy ones.  :classic_laugh:   We plan to have tomorrow's breakfast in our suite before leaving the ship and will occasionally have other meals en suite too.  But short of food delivery, I can't picture needing his services very often.  We already have 36 specialty restaurant reservations made and all of our spa reservations are made too.

BTW, he's a very nice guy and seems anxious to help with anything we need, so we plan to ask him if we do.

I suspect that I'll probably be the same way.  I've been fending for myself for so long that it just wouldn't dawn on me to ask for help with things that I can manage to do myself.  But having little nibbles delivered each afternoon would be a nice touch (and not something I'm likely to do myself since I wouldn't know where to get them).  I'll see what the butler says after I board.  That will probably clear things up just fine.  I'm doing only a 7-day Alaska cruise for now -- wanted to give Oceania a try after cruising with Holland America and Regent Seven Seas.  If all goes well, I'll likely start looking at their schedules and itineraries as an alternative to the other two.

Thanks for adding your perspective here -- it really helps.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

7 hours ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

having little nibbles delivered each afternoon would be a nice touch (and not something I'm likely to do myself since I wouldn't know where to get them).

This is one of the major differences between the Suite Life on Oceania as opposed to what they are offering on HAL.

Hal uses their Neptune Lounges as dispensaries for goodies which are then fetched by the passengers; on Oceania the Butlers do all of the fetching,  then serve on a silver salver.  

butler.jpgMuch, much nicer!  

• Like 1

Thanks to several former CC members, we learned that having a "Butler Hint List" to give to our butler when we meet on the first day makes his/her life much easier.  It gives them an idea of how you will be using his services and helps them plan their day.  Here is an example of our list:

Ron and Barbara

Tigard, OR

Nov 05 – Nov 30, 2018

PH # 8048

We wish to thank you, in advance, for all of your assistance during our upcoming cruise.  This will be our 14th Oceania cruise.

Below are a few ideas to assist your planning:

1) We enjoy continental breakfast daily around 7:30 to include green tea (no sugar, no cream…), juice (tomato and fresh squeezed orange juice).  Barbara would like a small bowl of oatmeal with fresh blueberries and Ron enjoys melon – no mango or pineapple.  The only days this would change is if we need to be ashore early for a shore excursion.  We will let you know the day ahead if we need the time changed.

2) We are fruit nibblers and enjoy munching on a bowl of grapes during the day.

3) We rarely use the liquor or pop in the refrigerator and prefer drinking a glass of Perrier/San Pellegrino with sliced lemon on ice during the day.

4) We are red wine drinkers and would like to have 4 nice wine glasses daily so we can share a glass with friends.

5) We like hors d'oeuvres each evening around 5:30PM and would appreciate some fresh cut vegetables, fresh fruit, mixed nuts or anything not too unhealthy 😊. We also would like 2 glasses of Carmenera.

6) We enjoy a glass of port before retiring in the evening. We would like having 2 glasses of port in the room before 9PM. You can put these in the room any time during the evening that fits into your schedule.

7) We enjoy having dinner in our room from the specialty restaurants several times a cruise…...we are totally flexible on timing and, usually dates.  We use this opportunity to enjoy the wonderful food without “dressing up”.  Also, we do not order all of the courses and prefer the food be delivered and not served course by course so you are free to serve others.

Please do not hesitate to let us know anything we can do to make your life easier.

Thank you again, Ron and Barbara

We have found the butlers really appreciate the list.....just one idea of how to enjoy the opportunity of having a butler.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, basor said:

Thanks to several former CC members, we learned that having a "Butler Hint List" to give to our butler when we meet on the first day makes his/her life much easier.  It gives them an idea of how you will be using his services and helps them plan their day.  Here is an example of our list:

Ron and Barbara

Tigard, OR

Nov 05 – Nov 30, 2018

PH # 8048

We wish to thank you, in advance, for all of your assistance during our upcoming cruise.  This will be our 14th Oceania cruise.

Below are a few ideas to assist your planning:

1) We enjoy continental breakfast daily around 7:30 to include green tea (no sugar, no cream…), juice (tomato and fresh squeezed orange juice).  Barbara would like a small bowl of oatmeal with fresh blueberries and Ron enjoys melon – no mango or pineapple.  The only days this would change is if we need to be ashore early for a shore excursion.  We will let you know the day ahead if we need the time changed.

2) We are fruit nibblers and enjoy munching on a bowl of grapes during the day.

3) We rarely use the liquor or pop in the refrigerator and prefer drinking a glass of Perrier/San Pellegrino with sliced lemon on ice during the day.

4) We are red wine drinkers and would like to have 4 nice wine glasses daily so we can share a glass with friends.

5) We like hors d'oeuvres each evening around 5:30PM and would appreciate some fresh cut vegetables, fresh fruit, mixed nuts or anything not too unhealthy 😊. We also would like 2 glasses of Carmenera.

6) We enjoy a glass of port before retiring in the evening. We would like having 2 glasses of port in the room before 9PM. You can put these in the room any time during the evening that fits into your schedule.

7) We enjoy having dinner in our room from the specialty restaurants several times a cruise…...we are totally flexible on timing and, usually dates.  We use this opportunity to enjoy the wonderful food without “dressing up”.  Also, we do not order all of the courses and prefer the food be delivered and not served course by course so you are free to serve others.

Please do not hesitate to let us know anything we can do to make your life easier.

Thank you again, Ron and Barbara

We have found the butlers really appreciate the list.....just one idea of how to enjoy the opportunity of having a butler.

This is what we do, and I was just in the process of writing it up, but not with such a nice sample letter! :classic_smile:

We also add, verbally and at the top, something like, "We realize things are very busy this first afternoon, so we'd like to give you a copy of some background about us, so you don't have to remember everything right now.

Invariably, the Butler returns later that first day, or early the next day, with our note and a pen, with a few "questions I'd like to clarify", etc.

We also add the bit about how en suite dinners are usually very flexible in timing, and to please let us know if our request interferes/coincides with requests from others, etc.  (That is the one thing that usually gets a *real* thanks, btw.)

In our case, we also add reminders about allergies and a few other specifics.

But your letter is really a perfect example.

And we might borrow a bit from it.  Thanks!

GC

• Like 1

@Basor,

Great example of letter to butler!! Thanks for sharing it! Wondering what sorts of things one can ask for to have in the cabin for canapes before dinner? Shrimp with dipping sauce? Cheese plate? Just wondering since this is our first Oceania cruise.

Also when you ask for aperitifs or nighcaps and you are in a PH I assume that these get added onto your ship account?

We'd probably want a nightcap of Cognac or good Bourbon so wonder also what is available in those categories?

Thanks for any added info

I understand from one of our previous butlers that have their own database where they can keep notes about passenger preferences.  I was also told that they are required to memorise the names of their guests before they board, and as part of this “research” they may consult the system to get a high level overview of your history with Oceania (eg Oceania club status).

Snack samples ... I can remember a few.

There's a nacho plate.  A cheese Plate.  Some fruit, I think.  There are a fair number of choices, not more than a dozen, I don't think.  And they aren't large.  Good to hold you over until dinner.

If you host a cocktail party in your room (we did so once when we had an OC) there is a specific menu.  They do charge for it but the portions are geneous.  Turned out we obeyed the instructions and ordered FAR too much.

Mura

1 hour ago, riffatsea said:

Yes, Of course there will be a menu . Just asking for examples if folks feel like offering them!

Perhaps you can ask someone on the current world cruise to post a picture of that menu. Go-Bucks is in a PH on that cruise.

Paul ( or others) may correct me but I don't think that appetizer menu has ever changed!  We don't usually order them -- we did at first, then the choice seemed less enticing.  NOT AWFUL.  Just not that impressive.  So these are occasional for us.  (Whereas the paid menu for hors d'oeuvres is VERY impressive.)  Of course, one is free and the other is not!  I wouldn't order from that paid menu for only two people, however.

I believe if you have guests in for cocktails you can also order more than two of the free types.  At least we have on occasion.  That may depend on your butler ...

One way we often use the butler is for the course-by-course dinner served in the room by the butler.  That's very tempting on days when we're tired out from touring!  And we always do this on the last night of the cruise.  It's one way to get around the limits on the number of specialty reservations you can have if they are harder to get on your particular cruise.

And of course as others have said, we have the hot breakfast in our room on tour days.  But we don't make up a standard list for the butler -- we order from the form that distribute every night because our desires change daily!  On non-tour days we like breakfast in the GDR.

Dinner menus are in the room.

Mura

15 minutes ago, Mura said:

Paul ( or others) may correct me but I don't think that appetizer menu has ever changed!

Mura - you are right about this. The only one I sometimes enjoy are the chocolate covered strawberries and occasionally the fruit skewer. The others are not that attractive for me but M occasionally orders some of the others (cheese tray, crudités, guacamole or 3 mini sandwiches). There are a few others that I don’t remember.

Edited by Paulchili