Allure or Rhapsody for a Transatlantic? What would you choose?

We're looking at booking a transatlantic for 2020 or 2021. The current schedule for next spring has me wondering which ship and itinerary to choose.

Allure - 12 night

image.thumb.png.a30758b27732d28e46dc4a08f760dbeb.png

or Rhapsody 14-night

image.thumb.png.4641a91a6637c694ff0f76a081686f2b.png

I look forward to hearing your feedback and advice.

This is a tough one.  Advantages for Allure is that there is so much to do on the ship, so the seas days will go fast.  Advantages for Rhapsody is the stop in Bermuda.

We like sea days and can keep ourselves occupied even if there is nothing going on at a particular time, so we would probably lean towards the Rhapsody because I have never been to Bermuda.

• Like 1

We have done TA's on both.  I prefer the bigger ships as I feel they have more to  offer.  We have friends who won't even consider going on anything big.    It is really a matter of personal preference.  But even though there are more passengers on the Allure, remember it is also built to accommodate them.  We never felt crowded.  Whatever you choose- enjoy! 

6 minutes ago, Mrs Cheech said:

... But even though there are more passengers on the Allure, remember it is also built to accommodate them.  ...

On a transatlantic, the weather might not be comfortable enough for the vast majority of the guests to use the pool deck. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gatour said:

I think Rhapsody is a sister ship of Enchantment, if so the cabins are smaller than the Oasis class ships. 

They are both Vision class, but Rhapsody is actually a twin to Vision.  Enchantment (before she was stretched) is a twin to Grandeur.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

They are both Vision class, but Rhapsody is actually a twin to Vision.  Enchantment (before she was stretched) is a twin to Grandeur.  

That is how I am leaning. We did enjoy Enchantment when we sailed her. I think that we would enjoy the longer voyage, more stops, and the lower price.

Just waiting and doing research. Might book while on Symphony in May. I believe the 2021 spring itineraries will be released soon.

For me, unless the TA hits the 3 main Canary Islands (Gran Canaria, Tenerife, Lanzarote) plus Madeira (which Rhapsody does not in this case), then Allure would be my #1, #2 and #3 choice.

If the weather is miserable, Rhapsody may be more miserable than Allure with regard to inside space, things to do and events in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

For me, unless the TA hits the 3 main Canary Islands (Gran Canaria, Tenerife, Lanzarote) plus Madeira (which Rhapsody does not in this case), then Allure would be my #1, #2 and #3 choice.

If the weather is miserable, Rhapsody may be more miserable than Allure with regard to inside space, things to do and events in my humble opinion.

I agree; I would choose Allure. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dreadpirate3 said:

That is how I am leaning. We did enjoy Enchantment when we sailed her. I think that we would enjoy the longer voyage, more stops, and the lower price.

Just waiting and doing research. Might book while on Symphony in May. I believe the 2021 spring itineraries will be released soon.

Some of the 2021 itineraries are out already.  Have booked for Freedom (B2B) in January, but waiting for others yet to come out.  I believe mid march for southern Carib.  

Edited by island lady

17 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Rhapsody has a fully enclosed large Solarium, with a real pool.  In other words, if the weather is miserable, guests will still be able to use the Solarium on Rhapsody, whereas the Solarium on Allure will be much less comfortable.

• Like 1

Allure without question. Neither itinerary is all that great. I love Bermuda but a one day stop is not enough to be a factor for me. All those sea days on Rhapsody be be way too much for me. Allure has much more to keep me occupied on those sea days.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Rhapsody has a fully enclosed large Solarium, with a real pool.  In other words, if the weather is miserable, guests will still be able to use the Solarium on Rhapsody, whereas the Solarium on Allure will be much less comfortable.

Yep, I was going to add this when I initially posted but didn't bother. What came immediately to mind is the 100 or so loungers in the Solarium for the 400-500 C&A members (plus the remaining 1500 "regulars") all fighting to use them day after day if nothing else going on when weather is bad... no thanks. I had 3 days bad weather on Radiance leaving Vancouver to Hawaii and you had to be up at 6am just to "reserve" a lounger for the day. I never used the Solarium once.... it was a joke.

You are so right about the Allure Solarium however... you prob remember my Harmony review and the poor weather we had... Solarium was almost unusable even out of Florida let alone in the Atlantic. I also had a bad weather TA on Indy... 6 days to Ponte Delgada of cold/rain/cloud, so top deck (and open "Solarium") was mostly unusable. Not a memorable sailing for me whatsoever. I could have flown to Spain and had a glorious week on land visiting the palaces in Madrid and sitting on the beach at the Algarve during that week rather than rolling my thumbs around attending towel folding demos and 5 trivia's each day. I would've gladly paid $3000 for a week in Spain vs. $1000 for a cheapo TA of nothingness had I had the crystal ball to see into the future.

On the flip side I had a supremely fun TA on Adventure, weather was sunny & hot all the way over (so plenty of pool-side and sports court events), and that was the sailing as mentioned in the ports I mentioned above (Canaries, Madeira, to Malaga... I then toured on land Alahambra, Sevilla and Gibraltor back to Malaga). Great trip if the weather cooperates.

In my humble opinion TA's are definitely for the ship, to relax and do nothing if that's what you like... nothing wrong with that!

I personally could not just sit for 5-6 days doing nothing with book in hand. That's just me :classic_smile:

7 hours ago, dreadpirate3 said:

We're looking at booking a transatlantic for 2020 or 2021. The current schedule for next spring has me wondering which ship and itinerary to choose.

Allure - 12 night

image.thumb.png.a30758b27732d28e46dc4a08f760dbeb.png

or Rhapsody 14-night

image.thumb.png.4641a91a6637c694ff0f76a081686f2b.png

I look forward to hearing your feedback and advice.

We're on the Allure TA in March 2020.  You can hang out with us. Going to be chilly. 

1 hour ago, Hoopster95 said:

I personally could not just sit for 5-6 days doing nothing with book in hand. That's just me :classic_smile:

Nope, not just you.😉

And you make great points about the two solariums. One will be unusable and the other packed if the weather is bad. So Allure still ends up being the better ship for me.