Broiled Maine Lobster

Billthekid

I grew up in New England where seafood was readily available.  One of the simple joys was to sit down and eat a whole lobster and make a complete mess with a bib being the only protection.  It was work scavaging for the last morsel of meat.  On our last cruise, we ate at Rudi's Sel de Mer and on the menu was Broiled Maine Lobster.  Anticipating a whole lobster, I ordered and was served two lobster tails and was disappointed.  Chef stopped by and I said I thought it was a whole lobster instead of just two tails.  The chef said that is how it is served.  I  said the menu should have reflected this information.  He got huffy and left.  The question becomes, should I have anticipated a whole lobster,  or should the menu reflect just two tails.  Your thoughts.............

If I remember properly when my friend ordered the broiled Maine lobster it was some form of 1/2 of an entire lobster that was broiled.   That was in the stand alone Sel de Mer on the Konigsdam.   She was happy with it and she grew up in Maine.  

I agree with you - it should state what you are getting.  I know that my son-in-law, who is a lobster freak, would be very upset at not getting the whole lobster, as he loves to get at all the meat in hard to get at places.

If I saw the choice of "Broiled Maine Lobster" on the menu, I would expect to see a broiled lobster in all its glory sitting on my plate.
If they are going to serve lobster tails, the menu should say "Broiled Maine Lobster Tails (2)".

Misleading at best is what I would have called this. The chef should never have gotten huffy about it, either. Even if he didn't agree with you.

Having lived in Maine for years, I've seen a fair number of tourists who had no idea what to do with a whole lobster. I agree that the description should be more accurate, but I think a fair number of people would freak out if presented with a whole crustacean. (Not New Englanders though. They can break a lobster down in 30 seconds.) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Although I am from Nebraska I can dive into a whole lobster like a nor'easter. My dad was a ship's captain and taught me how to get every delicious morsel. I have always liked the claws best, so would have been sorely disappointed.

Although we sail HAL, Celebrity, and Oceania, I can honestly tell you the line who serves whole broiled lobster best is Oceania.  The cruises are more costly but all the lobster you can eat (without charge) breakfast lunch and dinner.  I think my 16-year-old daughter probably ate 2 lbs per day for 14 days, during our NY to London crossing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Billthekid said:

I grew up in New England where seafood was readily available.  One of the simple joys was to sit down and eat a whole lobster and make a complete mess with a bib being the only protection.  It was work scavaging for the last morsel of meat.  On our last cruise, we ate at Rudi's Sel de Mer and on the menu was Broiled Maine Lobster.  Anticipating a whole lobster, I ordered and was served two lobster tails and was disappointed.  Chef stopped by and I said I thought it was a whole lobster instead of just two tails.  The chef said that is how it is served.  I  said the menu should have reflected this information.  He got huffy and left.  The question becomes, should I have anticipated a whole lobster,  or should the menu reflect just two tails.  Your thoughts.............

No..... A grilled lobster is way better flavor than a boiled   I was in Maine in Sept.   and ate a whole lot

I also find no difference between Maine lobster  and Pacific  spiny  lobster or Australian which is the same. Remember 60% of the lobster is waste shell and innards

I agree the menu needs to be more descriptive, but I would have expected only the tails. I have never had a whole lobster on a HAL ship, even when leaving Bar Harbor and coming back to the ship on the tender with the fresh lobsters for that night's dinner. I assumed the whole lobsters were cooked, but the meat in the rest of the body was kept in the kitchen to use for other dishes -- bisque, soup, lobster mac & cheese, etc. I can take apart a lobster, but I prefer if the work is done for me, especially if I am in formal wear. It can get a bit messy & drippy to fully pick apart a lobster.

16 minutes ago, dundeene said:

Although I am from Nebraska I can dive into a whole lobster like a nor'easter. My dad was a ship's captain and taught me how to get every delicious morsel. I have always liked the claws best, so would have been sorely disappointed.

Although we sail HAL, Celebrity, and Oceania, I can honestly tell you the line who serves whole broiled lobster best is Oceania.  The cruises are more costly but all the lobster you can eat (without charge) breakfast lunch and dinner.  I think my 16-year-old daughter probably ate 2 lbs per day for 14 days, during our NY to London crossing.

1 minute ago, Hawaiidan said:

No..... A grilled lobster is way better flavor than a boiled   I was in Maine in Sept.   and ate a whole lot

I also find no difference between Maine lobster  and Pacific  spiny  lobster or Australian which is the same. Remember 60% of the lobster is waste shell and innards

17 minutes ago, dundeene said:

I agree  they even  have lobster  and filet sandwiches  in the pool grill  rather than hot dogs and Pizza...  if you want cuisine  the best at sea   I agree Oceania     Nothing on HAL even in the specialties even comes close

I think the reason they only serve the tails is because eating a whole lobster takes time and a lot of tedious effort to get every last tasty morsel.   I don't think that HAL wants people in fashionable evening wear wearing a bib, and cracking claws and other parts, possibly spraying lobster goo all over the tables, chairs and other guests.  The waiters don't want to be cleaning up pieces of lobster claws and legs when a table is finished, before they can seat the next guests.   A lobster tail is quick, neat and easy.   If I am in my jeans, with a plastic bib, sitting at a picnic table, with a pitcher of beer, I love to spend the time to pick through a full lobster.   But dressed up, with no bib,  I don't want to be cracking and pounding on various lobster parts.  Also, the best whole lobsters are cooked live.  Most lobsters on cruise ships, are frozen, with the exception of some special cruises where they bring fresh lobsters on board at ports.  But, yes, the menu should have specified Tails, not the whole crustacean. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billthekid said:

Since we are dining at Rudi's next month on the Rotterdam was this the pop up on most ships or the stand alone on the Konigsdam or NS?   

6 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Since we are dining at Rudi's next month on the Rotterdam was this the pop up on most ships or the stand alone on the Konigsdam or NS?   

I think OP was on the Prinsendam which is a POP up.

Nevertheless, I believe all Sel de Mer’s serve only tails.

Sadly many people are not like us and want the job easy and tails can easily be frozen 😉 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sadly many people are not like us and want the job easy and tails can easily be frozen 😉

As former Maritimers who regularly steam (never boil or broil) live lobsters at home, we'll no doubt pass on the frozen lobster tails.  :classic_wink: