Any recommendations for places to eat in Nassau, Bahamas?

We're doing the day until 2pm in Atlantis but will be free for the rest of the afternoon and dinner. We don't want to travel too far from the ship to ensure we'll be back in plenty of time and walking distance preferred. We could also just eat at the ship, but we'd like to get exposed to different food as well considering we'll have almost 3 full just sailing days and many days with dinner on the ship

9 hours ago, CrusingRuthing said:

We're doing the day until 2pm in Atlantis but will be free for the rest of the afternoon and dinner. We don't want to travel too far from the ship to ensure we'll be back in plenty of time and walking distance preferred. We could also just eat at the ship, but we'd like to get exposed to different food as well considering we'll have almost 3 full just sailing days and many days with dinner on the ship

We enjoyed "Bahamian Cookin’ Restaurant & Bar" downtown.  We found this on a Nassau food tour and went back on a later cruise.

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

We enjoyed "Bahamian Cookin’ Restaurant & Bar" downtown.  We found this on a Nassau food tour and went back on a later cruise.

I just sent this recco to my gang that plans to get off the ship in Nassau.   I'm sending them to you if they don't like it.  :classic_biggrin:

Last March we walked to the Fish Fry, it takes about 20 minutes.  We walked along with another couple from the ship, but we didn't know them.  As we approached the Fish Fry area a local came to us and promised to take us to the "best" restaurant.  I'm sure he was being paid to steer folks to a specific restaurant.  

The other couple followed him, we didn't.  We checked out the restaurants and chose one and had a great meal.  Then we took a cab back to the ship, the cost was less than $15.

21 minutes ago, psternklar said:

Second vote fro Bahamian Kitchen

This rec is only for fried conch (to be even more specific: cracked conch, not fritters). its not bad at bahamian kitchen but better at greek islands. be prepared to wait though, they're slow at  bahamian kitchen and even slower at greek islands.

Edited by somerandomidiot

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

A big plus one!  Same way we found it.  Just went to see Ms. Wallace again on Wednesday.   Yummss!  And of course a couple of "switch ups" to wash it down with.  😉 

Heads up to all trying to find the little restaurant...it's on the corner of Market and Trinity.  Has a second sign that calls itself Bahamian Kitchen also.  

Edited by island lady

Another vote for Bahamian Cookin'!   We love that place - I make pans of their mac n cheese all the time!

We also like Athena Greek Restaurant.  They are located above a jewelry store on Bay St.  and have delicious Conch Chowder and Grouper Fingers.  The Mai Tai's aren't bad either!

On 2/9/2019 at 12:44 PM, dreadpirate3 said:

Thank you for posting. I know we want to go to lunch during our 16 hour port stop in May, and now I know to go to Twin Brothers.

Just read on the Bahamas board that Twin Brothers is closed indefinitely   See below thread

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, smc99 said:

Sharkees;  10 minute walk from the ship on the main drag. Excellent cracked conch!

Yes Sharkees is excellent! I stopped there for dinner one night expecting tourist trap ok-ish food but everything was top notch!

Also outside of Senior Frog’s there was a corn dog food truck ... their conch on a stick was really good and made right in front of you (generous amounts of conch in the batter too)

On 2/9/2019 at 12:08 PM, gsb said:

$20 for tacos or a burger? $37 for a lobster tail?

A few years ago, I was in Nassau for work with a colleague.

For lunch, we walked down and found a Greek place on an upper level overlooking the street.

We split a plate of stuffed grape leaves.  He had a bowl of lentil soup, I had a Greek salad with some gyro meat.  We had a bottle of water each.

Bill was $60 before the tips. 

They live and die by the cruise ship trade, and charge accordingly.

At night, there is almost NOTHING open if there is not a cruise ship there.

56 minutes ago, SRF said:

A few years ago, I was in Nassau for work with a colleague.

For lunch, we walked down and found a Greek place on an upper level overlooking the street.

We split a plate of stuffed grape leaves.  He had a bowl of lentil soup, I had a Greek salad with some gyro meat.  We had a bottle of water each.

Bill was $60 before the tips. 

They live and die by the cruise ship trade, and charge accordingly.

At night, there is almost NOTHING open if there is not a cruise ship there.

That would be Athena Greek Restaurant on the waterfront.