Table for five. We have to wait? Really?

Hello.

We are cruising Carnival for the first time in May.  We have a family of five and would like to be seated in the MDR with just the five of us.  I do not like strangers and they do not like me.

I called ahead to Carnival and they said we have to wait until the first night of our cruise to have our table changed.  Really?  I've never had that happen on any other cruise line.  I've always been able to call ahead and reserve a table for just us.

It seems like this will be a stressful and time-consuming event.  Do I have to stand in line while on my cruise to do this?  Can it really not be arranged ahead of time or was the agent I spoke with just not knowledgeable?

TIA!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

Hello.

We are cruising Carnival for the first time in May.  We have a family of five and would like to be seated in the MDR with just the five of us.  I do not like strangers and they do not like me.

I called ahead to Carnival and they said we have to wait until the first night of our cruise to have our table changed.  Really?  I've never had that happen on any other cruise line.  I've always been able to call ahead and reserve a table for just us.

It seems like this will be a stressful and time-consuming event.  Do I have to stand in line while on my cruise to do this?  Can it really not be arranged ahead of time or was the agent I spoke with just not knowledgeable?

TIA!

It's not a big deal.  My husband and I don't want to sit with strangers either.  On the first day of your cruise go to the dining room just before first seating and find the Maitre D.  He's usually right there as you enter.  Request the table arrangement you would like to have and he will take care of you.  You might not get it the first night but you will the rest of your cruise. 

Edited by sapphire_407
wanted to add another point.
  • Like 2

I purchased a a 4 meal specialty dining package for an upcoming Celebrity cruise and was told I couldn't pre-book reservations and could only do so once on board the ship.  Seemed contrary to my experience with specialty dining on other lines.

So, yes, there are some odd routines out there.  Another one is a $60 deposit for a Sharps container on MSC.

The OP (and I....and anyone else) can go with the flow and wait to board and get on line for a special request, or get mad about it, or maybe change to anytime dining - the choice made will certainly impact one's feelings about a cruise line.

22 minutes ago, sapphire_407 said:

It's not a big deal.  My husband and I don't want to sit with strangers either.  On the first day of your cruise go to the dining room just before first seating and find the Maitre D.  He's usually right there as you enter.  Request the table arrangement you would like to have and he will take care of you.  You might not get it the first night but you will the rest of your cruise. 

To say their request will definitely be taken care of is not accurate.  The Maitre D does their best to accommodate all passengers,

but sometimes a request simply can’t be accommodated. 

As others have stated, the best way to ensure they sit alone is to go with your time dining, if it is still available. 

Just an educated guess, but I have a feeling the OP is not going to be happy cruising on Carnival. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

I would say that if you have traditional dining, the odds are good that as a family of 5, you would be assigned your own table.

If you wish, 4 days before your cruise, post on John Heald's Facebook page and request a table for 5. He will forward your request to the Maitre'D who will do their best to accommodate you.

• Like 2

Of our 24 cruises as a family or either 5 or 4 (oldest son stopped cruising with us 10 years ago when he went off to college and started his Navy career), only twice have we shared a table - and then it was with another family with kids close to our kids' age. But I agree with 1025cruise - contact John Heald via Facebook with your request.

I email the matre d of the ship one week before my cruise and respectfully make my request. I have always been pleased with the dining table. Don’t email too early. They begin the seating about one week out. You should still visit the dining room upon boarding to see where your family will be seated.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

To say their request will definitely be taken care of is not accurate.  The Maitre D does their best to accommodate all passengers,

but sometimes a request simply can’t be accommodated. 

As others have stated, the best way to ensure they sit alone is to go with your time dining, if it is still available. 

Just an educated guess, but I have a feeling the OP is not going to be happy cruising on Carnival. 

Been on over 15 cruises and I was always accommodated for late seating, a table for two.  Doesn't hurt to try. 

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

You could also try emailing the maitre d a week before sailing. Sometimes they honor your request and sometimes not. It’s worth a short email. 

I agree though that there has got to be a better system to set dining options ahead of time. 

Email the Maitre d' to let him know about your request approximately a week or two before sailing. Although unreliable, you can also try contacting Heald.

3 hours ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

Hello.

TIA!

at this point you don't even know if you need to get it changed do you?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, beacha said:

I email the matre d of the ship one week before my cruise and respectfully make my request. I have always been pleased with the dining table. Don’t email too early. They begin the seating about one week out. You should still visit the dining room upon boarding to see where your family will be seated.

They create the seating 3 days out from embark after the current cruise is settled.

4 hours ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

The agent was correct. There will be a time published in Fun Times on embarkation day that the Maitre d' will be available for table requests. Yes you may have to stand in line. I'm not sure why that would be surprising. 

As others have mentioned, your other choices are to switch to Your Time Dining and request to be seated with just your party, or try contacting John Heald prior to your cruise. He was very helpful with our seating request on our last cruise.

6 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Should be able to arrange that for you...as well as reserved seats for all of the shows and loungers by the pool all day.

Bwahahahaha I see a point here.   Hey I know how to get the pool loungers.  Get up real early it my book and towels out and go back to bed. Same with seats for the shows? 

Op I hope you can get the dining taken care of easily. Personally doesn’t matter to me if I sit with someone or we are alone. I’m just glad im going to be on a cruise and eating! Our motto is don’t sweat the small stuff.  Life is too short.  Enjoy your cruise 🚢 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

On 2/10/2019 at 3:32 PM, Super27 said:

The agent was correct. There will be a time published in Fun Times on embarkation day that the Maitre d' will be available for table requests. Yes you may have to stand in line. I'm not sure why that would be surprising. st on our last cruise.

The agent was not correct.  We just had to wait until we were 30 days out and we requested and were booked a private table in the MDR for regular seating.

On 2/10/2019 at 8:31 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Best comment I have read today. 

Oh, but it isn't small stuff.  Unfortunately, when you have a massive craniofacial disfigurement, people will sometimes stare and say awful things.  Trust me, I am 47 (married 23 years, three kids and a hubby who are "normal") and have been horrified at the comments of complete strangers when I was doing nothing more than trying to take your advice and enjoy my cruise.  

In fact, THIS IS ME, trying to enjoy my cruise with my husband and children (Pun intended).

I am not being a spoiled brat, I am being realistic.  I want my family and I seated privately so we can be left alone and more easily able  to avoid the potential staring.  

Thanks to all those who were kind and helpful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

The agent was not correct.  We just had to wait until we were 30 days out and we requested and were booked a private table in the MDR for regular seating.

you got very lucky. the couple times we've contacted the maître d, we haven't heard back until a few days before the cruise. they get so many requests they handle them one cruise at a time.

18 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

you got very lucky. the couple times we've contacted the maître d, we haven't heard back until a few days before the cruise. they get so many requests they handle them one cruise at a time.

I agree we got lucky.  We've done this on RCI and sometimes the held the table, and others we had to politely remind them of our request.  I appreciate the kindness of your reply.