Sophisticated chair hogging

fstuff1

25 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

'Reserved' banner wrapped around the chair. 😞

IMG_20190204_151823578.thumb.jpg.701ee02dedd099c2698b50974a39e22d.jpg

uuggg...

Google search indicates its a Travel Agency based Quebec, Canada.

How dare they provide these. Book a cruise and in exchange get an unofficial chair reservation once onboard LOL .:classic_huh:

Edited by Georgie562
  • Like 1

I all fairness it's not a bad way to hold a towel on a chair and more effective than those giant pegs I use, the towel will never blow away with that holding it on.

The stupidity of the TA who supplied it was writing "réservé" on it, that word is what will get people's backs up, for all anyone knows the owner might be in the pool or nipped to the bathroom and done nothing wrong.

If my agent gave me one I would certainly use it and I am not a chair hog, if my towel is on a chair i'm on it, in the pool or at the bar.

If it was mine I would probably turn it inside out though, the towel shows it's (hopefully) in use "réservé" is unnecessary and clearly some find it provocative.

3 hours ago, Battle Bots said:

I am very relaxed thank you.  Seems to me someone who would get upset enough about someone else getting to a chair before them that they would even consider anything other than simply moving along to another chair is the one who needs to relax!  😄

Reserving chairs goes against NCL policy , and other cruise lines for that matter. So yes it can be upsetting to see "reserved" chairs with nobody in them for hours at a time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caneable said:

So totally ignoring social etiquette just because you can makes you better heh, someone must be really proud of what you turned out to be!

And wouldn't social etiquette tell the person who put the reserved sign on their lounger, that they should abide by NCL's rule against reserving a lounger and yes, the person who reserved the chair should be really proud of what they turned out to be.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

I all fairness it's not a bad way to hold a towel on a chair and more effective than those giant pegs I use, the towel will never blow away with that holding it on.

The stupidity of the TA who supplied it was writing "réservé" on it, that word is what will get people's backs up, for all anyone knows the owner might be in the pool or nipped to the bathroom and done nothing wrong.

If my agent gave me one I would certainly use it and I am not a chair hog, if my towel is on a chair i'm on it, in the pool or at the bar.

If it was mine I would probably turn it inside out though, the towel shows it's (hopefully) in use "réservé" is unnecessary and clearly some find it provocative.

Yes, it may have the opposite effect.  Like ziggy, I might have gotten up for 10 mins for pool, bathroom, coffee/bar - totally 100% legit--but it does give the impression of chair hogging.

Please dont flame me amd im not advocating what the person did at all but just a thought - Its an Air Transat banner i recognize the logo. I wonder if it was actually used for something else on the flight  - club is one of their upgrade seats or they purchased or were given something on board and this was wrapped round it - blanket comfort kit etc and it may have been on that and the person just took it and utilized it for this purpose. Nothing actually to do with the airline at all.

Edited by Mattnvick

Am I the only that sees it as a good product to keep your towel in place?  I really don't care what it says on it. 

That being said, personally I don't spend time sitting by or using the pool.  Occasionally I'll grab a chair for maybe an hour, usually in the shade on an upper deck.

I get up pretty early and jog/walk/do stairs, a few cruises back on the breakaway, at the very top midship, someone at about 6am was organizing 2 lounge chairs  and their paraphenalia on this platform that looks like it might be used for weddings, then they walked away.  While exercising I must have went by the area about 5 times in an hour, on my last pass I just moved the lounge chairs to the general area.  I see many people get up early to lounge hog, they know the cruiselines do nothing about it.   I rarely will be at the pool while crowded so the actual hogging does not impact me,  just the concept that some think this is acceptable behavior.

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 2

Just curious - at what point does the cruise line consider chair hogging to be an infraction (i.e., how long does the chair need to be unused)?  It is amazing how widespread the problem is across many venues.  One of the biggest complaints among the owners of timeshare resorts is chair hogging!  It's not an issue for me because I don't like sitting in the sun and it's too noisy and crowded by the pools.

8 hours ago, Battle Bots said:

And you are ASS-U-MING that the other person is not "abiding by the rules" because you are choosing to be offended and upset by the wording on the device used to secure the towel.  Personally I have a lot better things to do while on my cruise.

Well, since the title of the thread is chair hogging.  Where did I imply that I was offended or upset?

Edited by NLH Arizona

47 minutes ago, bjtravelnews said:

Just curious - at what point does the cruise line consider chair hogging to be an infraction (i.e., how long does the chair need to be unused)?  It is amazing how widespread the problem is across many venues.  One of the biggest complaints among the owners of timeshare resorts is chair hogging!  It's not an issue for me because I don't like sitting in the sun and it's too noisy and crowded by the pools.

Some cruise lines say thirty minutes and others up to an hour. 

8 hours ago, Battle Bots said:

Please tell me where in that picture anything indicates how long the chair remained unoccupied.  Unless you stood there and personally watched the chair go unoccupied longer than the time allowed by NCL you are assuming that any infraction of the rules took place.  There is nothing at all the disallows a person from using a device to secure a towel to their chair to keep it from being blown away.  You are simply choosing to be offended by the wording on that device.

And you are assuming they were doing things the right way. Only thing that offends me are the “me first” mentality of people.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, bjtravelnews said:

In my experience on rccl and ncl it's been 1 hour but it's rarely enforced. 

On the Escape this past July I went to the gym almost every morning at 6am and walked across the pool deck to get there and I always saw some chairs already reserved for the day. I think that's really pushing it as some of those people didn't come to their chairs until 9 or 10am.

I reserved chairs for my group of 5 almost every day, but I prefer to sit in less prime areas (deck 19 outside of Vibe) and I never left the chairs unattended for more than an hour. 

This is a funny thread though. People spend way too much time on vacation paying attention to what others are doing.

40 minutes ago, Battle Bots said:

I am assuming nothing as there is zero evidence they are not doing things correctly.  Nothing at all indicates otherwise.  Based on your comments, any chair that has a towel or anything else on it and the occupant is not sitting in it the exact second you happen to walk by is in violation.   The "me first" mentslity as opposed to the "since I do not see you here, you must be breaking the rules and ruining my cruise" mentality?

Doesn't ruin my cruise but it is ridiculous to see pax go to the extreme to get prime spots.

First hand experience while taking a morning stroll to get coffee 3 people were setting up chairs WHILE they were still stacked and cruiseline workers were still washing the deck.

Put about 10 chairs right next to the pool. Put some article of clothing/shoe/book on them and left. Only to return about 9:30. A good 2 1/2 hours later. Our group got to the pool about 8 , 1 hour after getting my coffee.

BB if you think that is the right thing to do and acceptable good for you. I was taught/raised to respect others. THAT group was all about themselves.

I remember on one of my cruises, I was going to Cagney's for breakfast and on my way I was watching two women putting towels and belongings on some chairs.  Normally I wouldn't find this funny, but on that morning, it was raining cats and dogs.

Another inventive way someone was saving their lounger was to put their button up shirt around it lounger and then buttoning it up.

What really drives me crazy, mainly because I'm not a sun person and like to people watch in the shade, is when people hog loungers in the sun and a lounger in the shade, taking up two loungers per person.  

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, You Remember Clackers said:

My question is why did you waste 2½ hours of your cruise watching a chair to see if anyone ever sat in it?  (Oh wait you didn't.  You were gone for at least an hour to get your coffee.)  I don't know if it is 'right' or not but that is kind of a silly thing to do!  Not even going to mention that you are assuming that no one was in the chairs while you were away.  All the while numerous chairs available that were not right next to the pool.  First world problem!

Didn’t waste 2 1/2 hours I was in a chair directly across from theirs

Timeframe walked on deck 7 am got a cup of coffee and was in a lounger about 7:15-7:20

The other 3 in MY group get to pool at 8 and joined me

The pax I referred to arrived at 9:30

Again wasn’t wasting time I planted myself in a lounger and used it and my sight line was maybe 30 ft to the unoccupied ones.

It was a selfish move on THEIR part to have the crew work around them. 

Has absolutely nothing to do with “first world problems”!

24 minutes ago, You Remember Clackers said:

My question is why did you waste 2½ hours of your cruise watching a chair to see if anyone ever sat in it?  (Oh wait you didn't.  You were gone for at least an hour to get your coffee.)  I don't know if it is 'right' or not but that is kind of a silly thing to do!  Not even going to mention that you are assuming that no one was in the chairs while you were away.  All the while numerous chairs available that were not right next to the pool.  First world problem!

Edited by beerman2

56 minutes ago, You Remember Clackers said:

The only people that have an issue with people complaining about chair hogs ARE chairhogs! JMaO.

• Like 4