Lanyards are for losers...

poeticlicensed

5 minutes ago, orchestrapal said:

These practices are only on mass market lines. We have ever seen them on premium or luxury lines except for the occasional newbie. Hope it stays that way....

Celebrity is charging $659 per person plus tax/fees for a 7 night Caribbean cruise.  That sounds pretty Mass Market to me.

40 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I respect everyone choice to either use a lanyard or stow their card in other ways.   I personally just keep it in my pocket.   Having said that my spouse chastises me all the time about the number of cards I've somehow lost.   Maybe I should wear mine.  

By the number of post made by the OP one must wonder -  Who's the pot that calls the kettle black.  

Hello, I don't post much, because I'm busy and I  work full time and don't have time to make thousands of posts on a forum. I only visit these forums if I'm planning for a cruise. I sincerely  laughed when I stumbled across the thread on HAL about lanyards being declasse. I didn't realize my motive and profile would be questioned by posting something that I thought was humorous for it's ridiculousness. Sorry I even brought it up. Jeez.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

I didn't realize my motive and profile would be questioned by posting something that I thought was humorous for it's ridiculousness. Sorry I even brought it up. Jeez.

The title of your post was "Lanyards are for losers..."

Seems you wanted some attention and a reaction.  You got it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

The title of your post was "Lanyards are for losers..."

Seems you wanted some attention and a reaction.  You got it.

I only used that title because that is what one of the posters in the thread I read said. OMG, I cannot believe that something I found so silly is now causing me to get questioned. I have always  found these boards helpful when I am searching for info on cruises. Sometimes I roll my eyes at long threads about chairs hogs and jeans in the MDR, but overall it's all in good fun and informative. Apparently, I made a major faux pas in even attempting to be humorous. I'm done. If you are happy with a small group of posters dominating the boards, then so be it, but if you want to encourage more people to post this isn't the way to do it. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

I only used that title because that is what one of the posters in the thread I read said. OMG, I cannot believe that something I found so silly is now causing me to get questioned. I have always  found these boards helpful when I am searching for info on cruises. Sometimes I roll my eyes at long threads about chairs hogs and jeans in the MDR, but overall it's all in good fun and informative. Apparently, I made a major faux pas in even attempting to be humorous. I'm done. If you are happy with a small group of posters dominating the boards, then so be it, but if you want to encourage more people to post this isn't the way to do it. 

Now you're gaslighting a bit.  Your post.  Own it. 

28 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

Just roll with the flow. 

It cracks me up what people worry about. I have used a lanyard on all 15 cruises and don’t see myself changing. When swimming on the edge, I saw some seapass cards that fell out of pockets or 🙈

Of course we wear our Disney platinum lanyards, well because that is about all the perks we got from them lol. 

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Only if accompanied with a fanny pack. 

We call it an equipment belt … rotfl

poetic … I never understood either the do or do not lanyard thing (my previous response was for those who have an issue with it, not towards yourself if there was a misunderstanding) but to each their own I guess. 

Now what am I going to do with the GoPro HERO7 Black I just bought … with a GoPro lanyard and sleeve … lol ...

2 hours ago, FM said:

So … does that mean I should … or shouldn't … wear my Disney Castaway Club lanyard, with retractable reel ?? :classic_laugh:

Absolutely! Please provide a link so I can get one before our August sojourn! I know my bride would like one in blaring pink, as well.

It is a mindless topic as some like, some hate, most are unaware of lanyards.  I use a lanyard but loop it through a belt loop/'D' ring in pants/shorts then put card into front pocket/cargo pocket.

The good news is those who want to participate and spend time here can.... and those who would save the world can skip this thread. Those who hate them, should IMHO, not get caught up and raise their blood pressure by trying to convince those who like/use them to abandon them.  I do not see me not using them till cruise lines provide me with a 'Disney magic band' like substitution.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

A lanyard is just another way to flash your status if you are cruising in something other than steerage.

Are they color coded according to stateroom level?

I've really never paid attention and I've seen many people wearing lanyards so their sea pass card is convenient.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

It cracks me up what people worry about. I have used a lanyard on all 15 cruises and don’t see myself changing. When swimming on the edge, I saw some seapass cards that fell out of pockets or 🙈

Of course we wear our Disney platinum lanyards, well because that is about all the perks we got from them lol. 

Wow apparently using Emojis really messes up your posts. 

As for the status thing Disney had a different color for each perk level. 

We proudly wear our steerage passes around our necks:)

I still have most of our old Disney ones, I could hand them out next trip. Sorry no matching fanny packs to with them;)

Edited by cgolf1

2 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

Another casualty occasioned by the lack of a sarcasm font on the internet. Or, probably more applicable here, a sardonic font. In any event, don't get discouraged. I enjoyed it and the discussion that has followed. I thought the point of your post was obvious, but maybe you have to allow for people who only read titles  and not the content. Suggestion: adopt kidspeak and set off the thing you are questioning in quotes, so it shows the subtlety-challenged your point. As for instance:

"Lanyards are for losers."  REALLY???

I wonder, in view of other threads that drive people crazy, if the people who think it is uncool to wear lanyards are the same people who refuse to follow attire suggestions in dining rooms?

9 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

It is a mindless topic as some like, some hate, most are unaware of lanyards.  I use a lanyard but loop it through a belt loop/'D' ring in pants/shorts then put card into front pocket/cargo pocket.

The good news is those who want to participate and spend time here can.... and those who would save the world can skip this thread. Those who hate them, should IMHO, not get caught up and raise their blood pressure by trying to convince those who like/use them to abandon them.  I do not see me not using them till cruise lines provide me with a 'Disney magic band' like substitution.

There was a post on this forum discussing that possibility. A lot of mixed opinions concerning those also. Which everyone has a right to. 

2 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

Sorry I even brought it up. Jeez.

Not a big deal. I think most of the people saw the humor in your post. Enjoy your freedom to post something intended to be humorous and don't worry about the folks who take life WAY too seriously. Tomorrow will be yet another day, and we can all be glad for that!

3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

A lanyard is just another way to flash your status if you are cruising in something other than steerage.

That is your opinion.

As others have stated including myself there are other pratical matters where a lanyard makes sense.

I have been on 50+ cruises across many lines and the idea of looking at a card in lanyard to determine someone's status never occurred to me.  The reason why is I DO NOT CARE about other people's status.  If they decide to put the card in a lanyard to flaunt their status so be it.  Again I DO NOT CARE, so why do you?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

Are they color coded according to stateroom level?

I've really never paid attention and I've seen many people wearing lanyards so their sea pass card is convenient.

And more importantly, Captains Club tier level. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by davekathy