Celebrity Press Release 2-14-19 : Partnership With American Ballet Theater

Andy

Good Morning Everyone,

Happy Valentine's Day ! I thought this morning's Press Release from Celebrity would be of interest https://www.multivu.com/players/English/8219056-celebrity-cruises-american-ballet-theatre-daniel-boulud/ Enjoy !

==================================================

News Release Issued: Feb 14, 2019 (5:00am EST)

Celebrity Cruises Unveils Game-Changing Partnerships With American Ballet Theatre And Michelin-Starred Chef Daniel Boulud

By joining forces with these iconic talents, the brand continues to revolutionize the onboard experience

Video(1) Photos(6)

MIAMI, Feb. 14, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Celebrity Cruises is taking its already unrivaled vacation experience to greater heights by joining forces with two legendary names in the entertainment and culinary worlds—the iconic American Ballet Theatre and world-renowned Michelin-starred Chef Daniel Boulud. Both of these cutting-edge partnerships will create unforgettable onboard experiences unlike anything at sea.

Experience the interactive Multichannel News Release here: https://www.multivu.com/players/English/8219056-celebrity-cruises-american-ballet-theatre-daniel-boulud/

"Our guests know to expect something unique, upscale and unexpected each time they step onboard.  By partnering with American Ballet Theatre and the world's leading culinary authority, Daniel Boulud, we are creating experiences that won't just meet those expectations — but shatter them," said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, President and CEO, Celebrity Cruises.

"At Celebrity Cruises, we are always looking for new ways to open up the world, not only through the places the brand visits, but also through world-class entertainment and culinary experiences," said Brian Abel, SVP, Hotel Operations, Celebrity Cruises. "I cannot think of better partners than American Ballet Theatre, who will bring the best classical dance experience on board, and Chef Daniel Boulud, a chef that all other chefs admire and respect for hospitality, creativity and excellence both in the kitchen and dining room."

A PARTNERSHIP WORTHY OF A STANDING OVATION
Celebrity is teaming up for a pas de deux with one of the most acclaimed dance companies in the world, American Ballet Theatre. Founded in 1939, American Ballet Theatre has been a pillar in New York City's cultural community and America's artistic landscape for nearly 80 years. American Ballet Theatre has wowed audiences in all 50 states and in 45 countries, performing for nearly 300,000 annually. Now, through an exclusive partnership that's a first in the industry, they're coming aboard Celebrity's ships to bring guests the best classical dance experience at sea.

As part of the partnership, guests will have the opportunity to enjoy exclusive American Ballet Theatre guest performances on select ships, join the dancers for intimate seminars, ballet barre classes, and embark on unforgettable excursions to American Ballet Theatre performances in some of our most dynamic ports of call.

"American Ballet Theatre's mission is to bring the best of ballet to the widest possible audience," said American Ballet Theatre Executive Director Kara Medoff Barnett. "We are thrilled to redefine "widest" to now include audiences at sea! This partnership will allow ABT's remarkable dancers to see the world and will invite Celebrity's guests to discover the magic of ballet."

THE MICHELIN STARS ARE ALIGNING
Founder of an award-winning restaurant group that spans the world, including his legendary Michelin-starred flagship, DANIEL and Café Boulud, in New York City, Chef Daniel Boulud is a name every foodie knows. Now, he's joining culinary forces with Celebrity and the brand's own Michelin-starred Chef and Associate Vice President of Food and Beverage Operations, Cornelius Gallagher.

As Celebrity's Global Culinary Brand Ambassador, Chef Boulud will design signature dishes for Luminae, the brand's exclusive restaurant for suite class guests. Celebrity is also introducing Chef's Table by Daniel Boulud, complete with a private galley tour and five-course dining experience, plus guest chef appearances on board. The brand is also working closely with Chef Boulud on a culinary mentorship program where the most talented up-and-coming chefs can hone their craft by learning from the best – both in Celebrity's kitchens and in Chef Boulud's.

"I'm excited to embark on this partnership with Celebrity Cruises as we share a common passion for excellence, personalized service and creative cuisine for our guests," said Boulud. "I'm constantly inspired by the local markets in other destinations when I travel around the world and those influences always make their way on to my menus. I look forward to offering cruise guests a taste of my cuisine that complements Celebrity's global offering."

The new experiences with both American Ballet Theatre and Chef Boulud will begin rolling out across the fleet in 2019, starting with Celebrity Summit, then Celebrity Equinox and Celebrity Millennium. To learn more about Celebrity's partnership with American Ballet Theatre, visit www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/entertainment/american-ballet-theatre. More information regarding the brand's partnership with Michelin-starred Chef Boulud can also be found at www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/eat-and-drink/daniel-boulud.

About Celebrity Cruises:
Celebrity Cruises' iconic "X" is the mark of modern luxury, with its cool, contemporary design and warm spaces; dining experiences where the design of the venues is as important as the cuisine; and the amazing service that only Celebrity can provide, all created to provide an unmatchable experience for vacationers' precious time. Celebrity Cruises' 13 ships offer modern luxury vacations visiting all seven continents. Celebrity also presents incredible Cruisetour experiences in Alaska and Canada. Celebrity is one of six cruise brands operated by global cruise vacation company Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL). For more information, dial 1-800-437-3111, visit www.celebritycruises.com, or call your travel advisor.

Note: Hi-res images and video are available for download at www.celebritycruisespresscenter.com.

Thanks Andy!

Luminae could do with a something extra...I remember when the concept of a suite restaurant was introduced, we were promised destination based local ingredients then but they never materialised....

Our last chefs table was memorable for the wrong reasons! A 60 something gentlemen who constantly contradicted both chef and sommelier and filled the gaps telling us how profitable his company was because of his fantastic leadership! A new table may reawaken our interest!

Enhancing the quality and variety of entertainment is always a good thing....another real positive.

Hi Andy

Thanks for letting us know!

Great news!  Bravo for ballet.  We are booked on Summit in 2020 . I thought the EDGE stage would be perfect as well!

Hope the new Chef affiliation will not change too much..EDGE dining ( Blu esp) was excellent.  

Edited by hcat

Many of us have thought that X was driving its marketing and new ships to attract millenials.  Considering the demographics of the ballet audience, this alliance makes no sense.  (Though I personally like the idea.  I enjoyed the opera offered in MSC, too.)

from how I interpret the press release, Boulard will be making changes to Lumineae.  Very little, IF ANY, involvement elsewhere.  Another bonus for suite passengers.  And another example of giving less to more frugal passengers.  

The improved Chefs Table would be nice.  Tho I have eaten in his restaurants and I like them but not worth the high cost but that's me,  The Ballet would be a nice change of pace I think and fun to see on board.  Wonder if they would get anything up and running by November.  I have Reflection booked for a nice Thanksgiving cruise.   

5 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

The improved Chefs Table would be nice.  Tho I have eaten in his restaurants and I like them but not worth the high cost but that's me,  The Ballet would be a nice change of pace I think and fun to see on board.  Wonder if they would get anything up and running by November.  I have Reflection booked for a nice Thanksgiving cruise.   

If you click on the link in the article it takes you to the list of cruises that will have the ballet.  Our cruise on Equinox is listed.  The only ships listed are Millennium, Summit and Equinox and only certain sailings.

The dining link invites you to book the chef's table but there was no way to book it on line.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

6 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

If you click on the link in the article it takes you to the list of cruises that will have the ballet.  Our cruise on Equinox is listed.  The only ships listed are Millennium, Summit and Equinox and only certain sailings.

The dining link invites you to book the chef's table but there was no way to book it on line.

Thanks, I just noticed that.  Not on my sailing which is fine, tho would have liked to see the Ballet but next year maybe when I choose where I want to go, tho leaning to a Galapogo's expedition next year I think  

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Thanks Andy!

Luminae could do with a something extra...I remember when the concept of a suite restaurant was introduced, we were promised destination based local ingredients then but they never materialised....

Our last chefs table was memorable for the wrong reasons! A 60 something gentlemen who constantly contradicted both chef and sommelier and filled the gaps telling us how profitable his company was because of his fantastic leadership! A new table may reawaken our interest!

Enhancing the quality and variety of entertainment is always a good thing....another real positive.

1 hour ago, jkgourmet said:

Many of us have thought that X was driving its marketing and new ships to attract millenials.  Considering the demographics of the ballet audience, this alliance makes no sense.  (Though I personally like the idea.  I enjoyed the opera offered in MSC, too.)

from how I interpret the press release, Boulard will be making changes to Lumineae.  Very little, IF ANY, involvement elsewhere.  Another bonus for suite passengers.  And another example of giving less to more frugal passengers.  

Ditto on the Chef's Table, Chemmo. 've done a detailed comparison of Chef's Table on Equinox vs on Princess and won't repeat, but among other issues, had the same prob with other diners (In fairness, it happened on Princess as well, a woman showed up 20 minutes late, inebriated, and loudly proclaimed that these are all couples, where are the men she was hoping to meet, this at a $100 a head dinner). I want to pick who comes to my Chef's Table, and on Celebrity that includes the officer who hosts the evening!

I think it would be cool if Boulud made some additions to the Murano menu - I guess that would make it too much like other lines where the celeb opened an "outpost" named restaurant on the ship, and they are trying to do something a little different. As many people as complain about the sameness and "specialness" of the menu in Luminae and enjoy ordering off the MDR menu in Luminae, I'm not sure you really want Boulud to get a hold of all the menus, LOL! Let the suite people be the guinea pigs.

Oh for the old Chandos days - what was the name of the French chef originally associated with Celebrity, not sure any other line did that back in the mid-90s - anybody remember the signature Swans?

Sadly, our Equinox cruise is not on the ballet list, darn it, I would have definitely wanted to see that performance.

Edited by cangelmd

5 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Oh for the old Chandos days - what was the name of the French chef originally associated with Celebrity, not sure any other line did that back in the mid-90s - anybody remember the signature Swans?

I remember the swans, so anxious to try them.  They looked great but lacked great taste IMO.  Wasn't Michel Roux the celebrity chef?

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

My family and I aren’t particularly fans of ballet, so that part of the announcement is just “meh” for me. That said, I’ve only seen one ballet live (The Nutcracker) and as something new to try on a longer sailing I might give it a go for something different to pass the night a bit.

The new chef partnership is hugely interesting to me, though. A genuine chef’s table run and hosted by this chef would be a fantastic experience in my view. Did CT once on Freedom of the Seas and had a fantastic time, can only imagine what it would be like when elevated by a Michelin-starred chef.

2 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I remember the swans, so anxious to try them.  They looked great but lacked great taste IMO.

Yeah, definitely looked better than tasted - I'm not a big meringue fan, but they were pretty, and actually did look like the picture - which is an inside joke from my last cruise at the World Class bar - someone had harangued the bartenders because the colors of the drinks didn't match the pictures in the videos?!

13 minutes ago, Aralim said:

My family and I aren’t particularly fans of ballet, so that part of the announcement is just “meh” for me. That said, I’ve only seen one ballet live (The Nutcracker) and as something new to try on a longer sailing I might give it a go for something different to pass the night a bit.

The new chef partnership is hugely interesting to me, though. A genuine chef’s table run and hosted by this chef would be a fantastic experience in my view. Did CT once on Freedom of the Seas and had a fantastic time, can only imagine what it would be like when elevated by a Michelin-starred chef.

I don't want to be Debby Downer, but there is NO way that Daniel Boulud is going to lead and host a Chef's Table - maybe once at the Inaugral event, for the captain, CEO and upper execs, but not for us peons.This is a lend your name and review the menus thing - and Celebrity will likely take the suggestions under advisement.

It is a signal that Luminae menus are going to be revamped, and I would guess they are doing it in Luminae not to make suites special, but because it was time to revamp the menus anyway, they need to test under real life but more manageable controlled conditions, as opposed to the MDR. Also good publicity and makes suites seem more special. Interesting that the Edge is not mentioned.

One thing that was much better on my Celebrity Chef's Table than on the Princess on was the galley tour. It was led by the Executive Chef(not sure of his precise title) - the number one chef onboard - probably because his job is the most expendable during actual dinner service. He spoke a lot about the logistics, again because that is his job, and it was fascinating - you could truly see why you can't order off the MDR menu in Blu on an S-class ship and why you don't really even want them to fetch your dinner from the MDR. You learned why they bake their own bread.

Edited by cangelmd
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I don't want to be Debby Downer, but there is NO way that Daniel Boulud is going to lead and host a Chef's Table - maybe once at the Inaugral event, for the captain, CEO and upper execs, but not for us peons.This is a lend your name and review the menus thing - and Celebrity will likely take the suggestions under advisement.

Yeah, I didn’t think it through all the way. But even if they just have a guest chef (even if one from another ship in the line) come on board for a spell and just run CT, it would be interesting and a way to break up the experience for any repeat cruisers who go to CT with any regularity.

Went to the website for the ballet sailings and unfortunately the two Alaska ones are northbound on Millenium and we are on the one immediately afterwards going south!  Oh, well, happy for those who will get an opportunity to see this.  While we love Luminae, the menu could use some tweaking and new ideas, so maybe we might have some of that on the Alaska trip, since we miss out on the ballet....

I would love to see a ballet performance.  My daughter was trained in the classics and performed professionally.  She would tell you how hard it is to dance on a moving stage and perhaps the problems a ballerina and/or an adage team would have (although the dance cast on the ships now perform very well despite the heavy seas). Lots of associated injury possibilities.  I can see the economics of hiring professional dancers with pre-arranged choreography;  they would not have to start with a blank canvas in their dance studio and train their new dancers in 3 or more performances.  It would be one less show to prepare for.

My inner ballet nerd is soooo excited about this. I looked and my upcoming cruise is on the list where ABT will be onboard.  The idea that I can take an ABT ballet class is mind blowing for me.  Now, I'm really dreaming of having the opportunity to see Misty Copeland.  A girl can dream!

We enjoy ballet...and the attendeeswe see  span all age ranges!

This is a great alliance...if it works out,  hope they add more dates ..we are booked through 2020..May on Summit,

Edited by hcat