Steaks on Board

mfs2k

My wife and I are sailing on Equinox, Aqua Class, next month. We like steak. 

Can anyone describe the differences in steak quality and portion sizes between Main Dining Room, Blu, Luminae, Murano and Tuscan Grill ?

Aside from Filet Mignon, NY Strip, and Rib Eye, feel free to include your experiences with Prime Rib, Veal Chop, Lamb Chops, Rack of Lamb and anything I’m missing. 

Im not a steak snob but I’d like to know what to expect. 

( I am aware we can’t dine in Luminae but I’m interested for future cruises )

Thank you. 

Their beef short ribs are to die for at least they were on the eclipse and reflection. Tender, fall off the bone meat in a rich delicious brown gravy with mashed potatoes. Had them once for lunch on embarkation day and once for dinner on a 14 night cruise. The lamb chops with mint sauce were also excellent. Not fussed on their filet though as was a bit tough. Try the beef wellington; it's very good.

10 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Last month we enjoyed the food very much, but, we felt the meat and fish was on the tough side. This was in the MDR and Ocean View.

Forgot to mention I had pork medallions in Muranos about 3 years ago on Silhouette and found them dry. Never had fish on a cruise as I like mine done on the barbecue. Guess I am just a fusspot.

We’ve enjoyed the filet in Tuscan Grille. Ordered ribeye there once & sent it back (all gristle & no flavor) & I ever send anything back. Looking forward to Reflection & Lawn Grille next February.  The lamb chops in MDR are always my favorite, with Chateaubriand second

• Like 1

We have sailed Equinox 6 times and we frequent the Tuscan grill. The rib-eye and filet are good but sometimes a challenge to get them cooked right. They also have Prime aged strip steak and prime aged porterhouse, both are an up charge. I have had both and they are the best steak I have had at sea.

I would say the Murano has the best steak onboard.  you will the ones that you can order in the MDR or Blu are relatively thin (1/2") and, if not cooked correctly, could be tough.  I have not had steaks in other venues but my DW did thoroughly enjoy the filet she had in Tucson on Summit.

Steve

1 hour ago, oneputt18 said:

Tuscan grill. The rib-eye and filet are good but sometimes a challenge to get them cooked right. They also have Prime aged strip steak and prime aged porterhouse, both are an up charge.

There's an upcharge for the steaks on top of the upcharge to eat in the restaurant? 

Sounds like those would be the best steaks on board... 

27 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

There's an upcharge for the steaks on top of the upcharge to eat in the restaurant? 

Sounds like those would be the best steaks on board... 

Yes, I think it was $18 for the strip and 25 for the Porterhouse, but worth it. 

5 minutes ago, oneputt18 said:

Yes, I think it was $18 for the strip and 25 for the Porterhouse, but worth it. 

Can a guest request the Prime Aged Strip or Porterhouse in Blu and pay the same upcharge they charge in Tuscan Grill? 

Can you order the Prime Aged Strip or Porterhouse in Murano and pay the upcharge there? 

It is really difficult to comment on quality because it will vary ship to ship, sailing to sailing and even meal to meal on the same sailing. We have had good and poor steaks in every venue at one time or another. In general, your chances of getting higher-quality meat are better in Blu, Luminae and the specialty restaurants than in the MDR or buffet - they spend more money on higher-quality ingredients in these venues, and cook them to order - and it shows. 

As for portion sizes, they are fairly restrained in Blu - I would say most main proteins were in the 5-6 oz range when we sailed AQ. However, you can request an additional entree or appetizer if you are still hungry, so no need to be concerned. We eat low carb and while we indulge in a few more carbs than usual on cruises, we still prefer meals to be very light on starch and heavier on meat and vegetables. Blu made this a breeze. In the specialty restaurants, protein portions are a bit larger (especially at Tuscan and Lawn Club) but again, you can order as much as you like. The prime aged upcharge steaks at Tuscan are the "best" steaks on board in terms of pedigree, but even that is no guarantee you'll get a good one cooked to your liking every time.

MDR  has the most tender Prime Rib.  Also very much enjoyed the beef short ribs, they fall off the bone they are so tender!  The beef wellington was very good also, as was the lamb in phillo dough.  My mother had the NY Strip a few times and said it was ok.  She likes hers medium well though.....

28 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Can a guest request the Prime Aged Strip or Porterhouse in Blu and pay the same upcharge they charge in Tuscan Grill? 

Can you order the Prime Aged Strip or Porterhouse in Murano and pay the upcharge there? 

Never tried it, but I would think not because you haven't paid the specialty fee. 

The rack of lamb in Blu is very good, as are the short ribs and lamb shanks.

I've been disappointed with "steaks".  A filet was ok, but it's not my cut of choice (ribeye or NY Strip).  They are often thin, and cooked well done, even when asked for rare.

We seldom order steaks on board any more.

37 minutes ago, warmwinds said:

The rack of lamb in Blu is very good, as are the short ribs and lamb shanks.

I've been disappointed with "steaks".  A filet was ok, but it's not my cut of choice (ribeye or NY Strip).  They are often thin, and cooked well done, even when asked for rare.

We seldom order steaks on board any more.

I noticed on the Blu Menus, they offer NY Strip Steak as an every day option.  After reading above, it sounds like it's a small thin steak and won't be that satisfying if we're used to quality steaks from good restaurants.  

Edited by mfs2k

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

We’ve enjoyed the filet in Tuscan Grille. Ordered ribeye there once & sent it back (all gristle & no flavor) & I ever send anything back. Looking forward to Reflection & Lawn Grille next February.  The lamb chops in MDR are always my favorite, with Chateaubriand second

I had the same experience with the ribeye at Tuscan Grille.  I should probably give it another chance, but the steak was so bad I've never been back.

We just got back from our Equinox cruise.  I had steak three nights in Blu. The only one I would order again is the fillet and it was average. The 1/2" Strip steak was just OK.  I was not going to have steak again until a rib eye showed up on the menu. I went for it. I am not kidding, it was 3/8" and not even edible. But the halibut, and lobster on other nights more than made up for it. I was overall happy with Blu. And the starters are very good. I would say, other than the fillet night in Blu, get your steak fix somewhere else.

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

Not unless there has been a recent menu change.  Murano has a fixed menu with the steak offering a delicious Chateaubriand which is normally served for 2 persons.  However, we have noticed a few souls who ordered an entire Chateaubriand for themselves and obviously the request was granted.  The steaks in the Lawn were also OK, although not the same quality as what we had in Murano.  As to the Tuscan, we have been constantly underwhelmed by this venue on every S-Class ship we have cruised (which is most).  And to add insult to questionable quality, the Tuscan actually has an upcharge for their better steak...which is on top of the regular Tuscan fee.

Hank

3 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

af

I don't know what "The steaks in the Lawn" means.

Can you clarify?

The "Lawn" is an alternative restaurant on some of the S-Class ships.   The format is that cruisers usually have a pizza for a starter and then for their main there is a menu which includes several steak entrees which are grilled.  In fact, the passenger can even help make their own food although on our visits nobody seemed interested and simply let the staff cook the food.

Hank

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The "Lawn" is an alternative restaurant on some of the S-Class ships.   The format is that cruisers usually have a pizza for a starter and then for their main there is a menu which includes several steak entrees which are grilled.  In fact, the passenger can even help make their own food although on our visits nobody seemed interested and simply let the staff cook the food.

Hank

Thanks Hank.

From what I've read in preparation for my cruise, I don't think the Lawn restaurant is available on Equinox, however, there is a "lawn" on Deck 15, Aft. 

Just now, mfs2k said:

Thanks Hank.

From what I've read in preparation for my cruise, I don't think the Lawn restaurant is available on Equinox, however, there is a "lawn" on Deck 15, Aft. 

I believe it was only put on the S-Class ships that did not have the Hot Glass blowing demo area.  That is because the location of the Glass Blowing is the same area that has the Lawn :).   

Hank

• Like 1

Our favorite onboard steaks are the Chateaubriand in Murano or Steak Diane if we remember to order this ahead of time. A close second is the filet at Tuscan. We went to a Le Petit Chef dinner on our last cruise and the filet portion was very small and over cooked. On our last cruise we enjoyed the beef medallions served on the first night in the MDR. 

Edited by kathynorth

We, or should say at least “I” will be looking for some good steak options on the same trip you are on at the end of March so maybe our steak hunting paths will cross, or at least we should compare notes mid-week to ensure neither of us misses out on one!  What I can tell you from past experience is I agree with everyone’s praise of the short ribs, they are great.  In fact, as I look to plan specialty dining I’m avoiding the night those are already on the menu so I don’t miss them.  I also think the filet is very good (we’ve had them in Luminae and Tuscan), the everyday strip is nothing special in my opinion, I’ve heard very good thing about the Prime Rib, but I don’t recall it being on the Luminae menu (we normally book a SS) so I can’t comment on it directly, but we’ve avoided making specialty dining reservations for the first night since it will be served in the MDR that night.  Hoping to try the Chateaubriand in Murano and the Porterhouse in Tuscan this time around.  This trip we are in a Concierge Aft cabin and like I said we usually book a SS, so I’m looking at this as a way to experiment more with specialty dining and giving the MDR a few visits also.  We enjoy Luminae so much, and with the price we’ve already paid for the suite we don’t really think some of those specialties are worth spending more on, but this week we’re going to venture out more.