So my news just said don’t travel to Mexico for spring break

Mommawo

2 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

Mexico is huge. Just like the US, some areas are okay and some are extremely dangerous. Carnival cruises most commonly go to Cozumel and Costa Maya which are both safe. Progresso doesn't feel too safe to me. Use your best judgement, don't wear flashy things and don't get out of your mind plastered and you should be fine. 

Thanks! Good advice there 

Of course you can ask any question you like.

My pet peeve is folks in this social media age who post scary articles or comments and then others take them up and repost them as if they were the gospel!

Even the comment above about Progresso gives no reason for "not feeling safe there".

Sure everyone is entitled to their feelings but it would be more helpful if explanations or reasons were given instead of just spouting comments.

We've been to Progresso and had a great private tour there without feeling anything UNsafe sooo???

The advice about being safe goes for anywhere in the world:

Don't get stupid drunk

Don't walk on dark streets alone.

Always be aware of your belongings and your surroundings.

I get tired of cruisers who are afraid of being on shore.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

My pet peeve is folks in this social media age who post scary articles or comments and then others take them up and repost them as if they were the gospel!

Even the comment above about Progresso gives no reason for "not feeling safe there".

Sure everyone is entitled to their feelings but it would be more helpful if explanations or reasons were given instead of just spouting comments.

We've been to Progresso and had a great private tour there without feeling anything UNsafe sooo???

Don't get stupid drunk

Maybe it's just ignorance you are tired of.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Don't get stupid drunk

And pretty much, nothing good happens after 10PM either at home or while on vacation. Be in your home or hotel by then and you're likely going to be just fine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, summersigh said:

https://www.breitbart.com/border/2019/02/17/cartel-gunmen-storm-cancun-bar-5-killed-12-injured/ 

Quoted from 17 February 2019:

Four cartel gunmen carrying rifles and handguns stormed into a bar in the tourist resort city of Cancun and began firing indiscriminately. The attack on Friday left five dead and 12 others injured.

The shooting took place Friday night at approximately 11:43 p.m., according to a local media report. The attack took place at the La Kuka Bar located at Avenida José López Portillo and Súper Manzana 60 Manzanas 8, within the municipality of Benito Juarez where Cancun is located.

Initial reports indicate that the gunmen entered the establishment armed with one rifle and four handguns. Without warning, the cartel gunmen began firing indiscriminately at employees and bar patrons. Following the attack, the gunmen fled in an unknown direction in two different vehicles. The La Kuka is a strip club located in one of the highest crime areas of Cancun. The area is located just west of the primary tourist zone.

11:43pm in a strip club located in one of the highest crime areas.... yeah, tons of cruising tourists are at risk.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mommawo said:

Seems that our news stations are advising not to travel to Mexico because of increased risk. Looked and there seems to be travel advisories there. However I assume it’s no more dangerous that Belize and Roatan? 

Mexico is always having issues, but if you sail to Cozumel or Costa Maya, you should be fine. I would avoid taking the ferry from Cozumel to Playa de Carmen, as it is always having crimes against tourists. About a year or so ago, there was even bombings on those ferries. Cozumel is pretty safe, but always use caution when visiting any foreign country. I also carry very little cash on me and no credit cards when ashore in a theft resistant handbag with slash proof crossbody straps, with an RFID protected wallet for the times I do have my credit cards on me when traveling. 

3 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Don't get stupid drunk

Sometimes you don't need a specific reason. Some places just give off a bad vibe and some days are better than others. Maybe I was there at a bad time. Same goes for places like Nassau. The first time was really off putting because some crazy lady started cursing me out on the sidewalk because I didn't want to try on her homemade necklace. Made me never want to go back there, however we did end up back there and no one bothered us the second time.

None of the ports for Carnival is Cancun. So unless you choose to do a private tour and head over to Cancun, you will be fine. We always have fun in Cozumel. I have not once ever felt insecure of where i was and felt threatened. We have done tours through Carnival and not liked any of them except the Snorkel from Catamaran. We now hire a driver through Tours Plaza and they will take you wherever you want to go. The nicest people also. Good luck!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Is it? Why do you think Mexican government bothers to deploy machine gun totting soldiers and police in tourist areas and cruise ports? You think these armed to the teeth  uniform dudes are there to sight see ?

Photo ops for tourists. Most of the real fun is at night long after cruise ships have departed.

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Photo ops for tourists.

Which they would do sometimes if asked politely. Some would smile at the camera but still have their fingers on the trigger. No tipping solicited or required afterwards. Cool dudes.

• Like 1

Mexico is a large country and some parts of it are always under travel advisory. This is the section that you’ll hit on a Caribbean cruise 

It is upgraded over prior years due to more crime which is targeted to drug cartels and locals but has occurred in tourists areas; sometimes in populated areas in the middle of the day.

We spent a week in Jan at an all inclusive near playa del Carmen so have been watching the situation over the last several months. It’s certainly worse than it was a few years ago (the last time we went) but didn’t deter us from going. We left the resort for a couple excursions and never felt unsafe on our trip.

AF1C8336-E401-4849-825C-F9F298C9BBAE.png

8 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Mexico is a large country and some parts of it are always under travel advisory. This is the section that you’ll hit on a Caribbean cruise 

It is upgraded over prior years due to more crime which is targeted to drug cartels and locals but has occurred in tourists areas; sometimes in populated areas in the middle of the day.

We spent a week in Jan at an all inclusive near playa del Carmen so have been watching the situation over the last several months. It’s certainly worse than it was a few years ago (the last time we went) but didn’t deter us from going. We left the resort for a couple excursions and never felt unsafe on our trip.

Thanks nice to hear from someone who goes there.   We will probably just stick with carnival excursions instead of on our own like planned now

1 hour ago, Mommawo said:

Thanks nice to hear from someone who goes there.   We will probably just stick with carnival excursions instead of on our own like planned now

There is really no need to go on a Carnival excursion in Cozumel. It’s very safe and tour operators are very good. Just research on TripAdvisor or take a cab to the beach.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CA_Cruzing said:

And pretty much, nothing good happens after 10PM either at home or while on vacation. Be in your home or hotel by then and you're likely going to be just fine.

Good thing our ship leaves the port at 5:00pm.  😉

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, CA_Cruzing said:

😆

Given my husband plays in a band we have some great times on the dance floor after 10 pm. PUHLEEZE. It's 2019. I thought we were beyond this way of thinking,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There will always be some sort of warning for Mexico, weather it be the Caribbean or the Mexican  riviera. 12 years ago we went to Mazatlan and Acupulco. Mazatlan had armed army guarding the port. In Acupulco there were armed army guarding the gas stations, banks and cruising the city in jeeps. Acupulco gave me a feeling that violence could breakout at any minute. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

As you mentioned, this isn’t a deterrent for us either. We’ve been spending a lot of time in Cancun recently. As many people aren’t traveling there as frequently, I’m finding great airfare and amazing Best Rate Guarantee options with the hotels I elect to stay at.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mommawo said:

If Cozumel is the port, you don't have to worry. I would only take a Carnival Excursion there if I planned on going to the mainland or somewhere not so easy to access. We did the Passion island via twister boat excursion through Carnival and it was amazing. For just the beach though, we hop in one of the many government regulated taxis and go where we want to. 

• Like 1

There is always a travel advisory for Mexico. It is making headlines right now because of the 5 people murdered in a tourist area that occurred recently. I personally would not go to Mexico on vacation (except for Cozumel stop that's pretty safe--but you can't pick and choose). We have sailed there before and didn't feel comfortable at Costa Maya. Of note please don't roast me for saying that, OP asked for thoughts...that is my thought.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, missholly24 said:

There is always a travel advisory for Mexico. It is making headlines right now because of the 5 people murdered in a tourist area that occurred recently. I personally would not go to Mexico on vacation (except for Cozumel stop that's pretty safe--but you can't pick and choose). We have sailed there before and didn't feel comfortable at Costa Maya. Of note please don't roast me for saying that, OP asked for thoughts...that is my thought.

Why did you feel unsafe? It would be helpful to articulate what made you uneasy.

7 minutes ago, Swampbabe said:

Why did you feel unsafe? It would be helpful to articulate what made you uneasy.

LOL intuition....have you ever "felt unsafe" ??? Constant staring, people were following us, constantly stopping in front of us to offer things to buy. We literally had nudge them to be able to walk. It was super crowded, people were touching us. It was also years ago. I have read that the port was decimated and rebuilt so maybe its changed for the better. FYI I grew up 1/2 mile from Detroit the 2nd most dangerous city in the United States so I am not easily offended or scared. Usually we blend in in all of the ports. Caribbean natives are some of the most welcoming people in the world. I will stick to Eastern/Southern routes. I know it well and love it. Mexico is consistently rated as one of the most dangerous places to visit per FBI stats. This is not a subjective topic.

Edited by missholly24
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, missholly24 said:

LOL intuition....have you ever "felt unsafe" ??? Constant staring, people were following us, constantly stopping in front of us to offer things to buy. We literally had nudge them to be able to walk. It was super crowded, people were touching us. It was also years ago. I have read that the port was decimated and rebuilt so maybe its changed for the better. FYI I grew up 1/2 mile from Detroit the 2nd most dangerous city in the United States so I am not easily offended or scared. Usually we blend in in all of the ports. Caribbean natives are some of the most welcoming people in the world. I will stick to Eastern/Southern routes. I know it well and love it. Mexico is consistently rated as one of the most dangerous places to visit per FBI stats. This is not a subjective topic.

Thank you for describing what made you feel unsafe. I have never had that experience in Mexico but can appreciate that other’s experience may be different. I’ll be in Cozumel again next month and look forward to it.

I’ve just found that cruisers in general, and Carnival in particular, want a sanitized experience in the Caribbean.

26 minutes ago, missholly24 said:

Yep I understand the intuition thing.  Always go with your gut. I am in a very safe area in general but I’m not stupid enough to go for jog alone at dark.  That being said as safe of an area we live in dh had to get involved in an incident in a parking lot a while back involved an older lady and a guy who was attempting to rob her.  So it can happen anywhere even the best places 

• Like 1

Violence is nothing new to some of the tourist areas even though Mexico tries to keep it quiet.  Cancun just happens to be in the news again.  Last spring they had 14 murders in a 36hr period and 98 murders in the first 3 months ending up with 540 for the year. 

• Like 1