charge for room service

RonaldL

9 minutes ago, RonaldL said:

I have been told some cruise lines now charge for room service.  Is this true?

On Royal “some” breakfast items are still free.  But otherwise it is 7.95 per “order” (not per item) for room service.  

24 minutes ago, RonaldL said:

I have been told some cruise lines now charge for room service.  Is this true?

Yes, it's true.  

Not all cruise lines do.  Some charge for certain items, some charge after a certain time of day, others charge all the time for all items.

You have to check with your particular cruise line to see what their policy is.

• Like 1

On our RCI cruise this month continental breakfast was no charge - anything more had a flat fee.  I recall that HAL last year was the same.

I think Cunard still does not charge — I’ll find out in December when we sail from NY to the Caribbean for the holidays.

Realistically, given the direction the industry is headed, I expect that all mass market lines will be charging for all room service within a couple of years—- with the imposition of fees matching the deteriorating quality of MDR food and service, the reduction in entertainment and music,— the across the board cuts in so many facets.

I think it is getting to be time for me to cruise a bit less - but on ships which have not strayed so far from the quality experience all used to offer.

30 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think it is getting to be time for me to cruise a bit less - but on ships which have not strayed so far from the quality experience all used to offer.

Boy, I hear you on that. With all the changes that I consider a dumbing down of the experience, for the first time in almost two decades my wife and I do not have a future cruise booked, nor are we even considering one. Celebrity used to be our favorite cruise line, but with that Edge monstrosity they just launched, and now press announcements that they are spending a half billion dollars on remodeling their older ships with Edge features, mostly to cater to suite passengers, we aren't at all motivated in booking with them again. And other cruise lines we have tried are also downgrading the cruise experience. 

So, at the moment no future cruises for us. Instead, we are concentrating on land vacations for the next two or three years.

Different cruise lines, different answers. The other problem in answering, cruise line may make announcement tomorrow that policy will change. Once you decide on doing a cruise bring up the web sites of the cruise lines your  interested in and read.

3 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Celebrity used to be our favorite cruise line, but with that Edge monstrosity they just launched....

Just curious - define "that Edge monstrosity".....

And BTW - and maybe to your point - most cruise lines are enhancing their focus on suite class guests.  Not sure that they are lessening the offering to non-suites, however.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

7 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

And BTW - and maybe to your point - most cruise lines are enhancing their focus on suite class guests.  Not sure that they are lessening the offering to non-suites, however.

Try and help, first off Celebrity does not charge for room service except overnight. BEli eve it is $6.95 from 11PM to 6AM.   You can also get lunch and dinner from the MDR delivered to your room, free.

The Edge monstrosity comment I believe refers th their new Edge ship which has received mixed reviews to be polite.  I personally think it’s ugly with the Golden Gate Bridge hanging off the side.

9 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

The Edge monstrosity comment I believe refers th their new Edge ship which has received mixed reviews to be polite.  I personally think it’s ugly with the Golden Gate Bridge hanging off the side.

I get that, but it seems that SantaFeFan has a change of heart and a conviction regarding the product that goes beyond aesthetics.

Just now, leaveitallbehind said:

I'm familiar with it.  Take away dketiredjr's "Golden Gate Bridge" (which admittedly is a bit "unique") and it doesn't seem too unlike Quantum class ships. 

Overall, even if you take away the scaffolding on the side, I think it's an ugly ship.  IMO, of course.

5 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Overall, even if you take away the scaffolding on the side, I think it's an ugly ship.  IMO, of course.

...and to each his own and no challenge there.  I just was curious (as mentioned in a follow up response to clarify my question) what - other than the look of Edge - had caused SantaFeFan to turn away from Celebrity.  I suspect he feels that the focus on the suite experience has changed the product in a negative way.  Not agreeing or disagreeing - again, just was curious. :classic_smile:

After all, what else have we got going on on a Friday night........:classic_wink:

Edited by leaveitallbehind

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I think she is an ugly ship, with that hideous platform hanging off one side, and the asymmetrical looking aft end, making her look as if she is perpetually listing. The public areas are more kitsch than classy, especially that space called Eden, which is mostly filled with extra fare areas and restaurants, and strange surrealistic decorations and roaming, avant garde performers. And the incomprehensible decision to position the hot tubs on top of slender pillars one deck above the pool is just strange. Moving from the pool to the hot tubs requires walking up a long, gradual ramp between the decks, or up a flight of stairs, all the while wet and dripping. It's an example of misguided form over function. 

I am used to ships where I could roam through ALL public areas, not just the areas that the cheaper cabins are allowed to use. That is what I experienced for years until the recent emphasis on "ship within a ship" mentality took over, with their exclusive areas only for people willing and able to pay much more for the use of those areas.

You suggest that they are not "lessening the offerings to non suites". To provide the privileged "ship within a ship" designs, they must section off a percentage of the square footage, which on a ship of inflexible dimensions, means some of that footage is denied to the rest of the paying guests. Yes, on the Celebrity Edge, those areas were never available to the less affluent passengers. But, on their current ships, the M and S classes, they were. They will be carving areas that used to be for everyone and giving it exclusively to suite passengers. With only a finite amount of space available, allocating more of that space to certain classes of passengers means the other classes will lose access to that space. This is a simple case of physics. 

For example, based on the photos I have seen of Edge, as well as the deck plans, the only way non-suite passengers can see forward is to use the fitness center or pay to use the thermal suites and spa. There are no general public forward viewing areas otherwise. And the M and S classes will also be refitted to take away those areas. Removing certain amenities that non-suite passengers used to have access to, such as forward facing viewing lounges and outside decks which I especially enjoy when entering and leaving ports, will negatively affect my experience.

THAT is lessening the offerings to non-suite guests. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

6 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

I think she is an ugly ship, with that hideous platform hanging off one side, and the asymmetrical looking aft end, making her look as if she is perpetually listing. The public areas are more kitsch than classy, especially that space called Eden, which is mostly filled with extra fare areas and restaurants, and strange surrealistic decorations and roaming, avant garde performers. And the incomprehensible decision to position the hot tubs on top of slender pillars one deck above the pool is just strange. Moving from the pool to the hot tubs requires walking up a long, gradual ramp between the decks, or up a flight of stairs, all the while wet and dripping. It's an example of misguided form over function. 

I am used to ships where I could roam through ALL public areas, not just the areas that the cheaper cabins are allowed to use. That is what I experienced for years until the recent emphasis on "ship within a ship" mentality took over, with their exclusive areas only for people willing and able to pay much more for the use of those areas.

You suggest that they are not "lessening the offerings to non suites". To provide the privileged "ship within a ship" designs, they must section off a percentage of the square footage, which on a ship of inflexible dimensions, means some of that footage is denied to the rest of the paying guests. Yes, on the Celebrity Edge, those areas were never available to the less affluent passengers. But, on their current ships, the M and S classes, they were. They will be carving areas that used to be for everyone and giving it exclusively to suite passengers. With only a finite amount of space available, allocating more of that space to certain classes of passengers means the other classes will lose access to that space. This is a simple case of physics. 

For example, based on the photos I have seen of Edge, as well as the deck plans, the only way non-suite passengers can see forward is to use the fitness center or pay to use the thermal suites and spa. There are no general public forward viewing areas otherwise. And the M and S classes will also be refitted to take away those areas. Removing certain amenities that non-suite passengers used to have access to, such as forward facing viewing lounges and outside decks which I especially enjoy when entering and leaving ports, will negatively affect my experience.

Could care less about the suite life or the ship within a ship concept.   Celebrity is just keeping up with the other cruise lines, competition is good.   I'm in a suite on the Summit in August and will enjoy it,  it is rare that we have sailed in a suite but since this will probably be our last cruise I splurged.   My parents told me something very important years ago.  Don't be jealous of what other people have  , try and strive to achieve it yourself.  They're gone for years but there are some things you just don't forget.  

Even without the Golden Gate Bridge, I think its an ugly ship on the outside. 

Edited by dkjretired

9 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

M class ships are not taking away the sky lounge based on Milenniums deck plans afterbrefit. Can’t speal to S class ships because they haven’t done one yet. Only appear to be taking away the top story sun deck which is a small area.

Edited by dkjretired

6 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Thanks for taking the time to offer your explanation.  I appreciate your perspective on this.