Two MSC ships collide

Krazy Kruizers

35 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I saw that on the national news tonight.  Just one more of many reasons I won't try MSC.

Disagree.  Stuff happens.  Brands under the Carnival Corporation umbrella have had their issues from time to time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Wasn't the Prinsendam just there in Buenos Aires?

Not that recently.  We left the 19th and Orchestra and Poesa arrived the 20th with one leaving the same day and the other leaving the 21st.  Zaandam arrived the 20th and actually left just a few hours ago.

Roy

• Like 1

This is the position  of the ships in Buenos Aires that day:

BAdocks.JPG.146250ad49dd79874a9372a965cab7f5.JPG

The MSC Fantasia entered the port our second morning there but was out of sight from our dock.  The Prinsendam had been in the position where the top of the 2 MSC ships together was.

Roy

2 minutes ago, ski ww said:

That will give a lot of passengers lots to talk about. As long as nobody was hurt that's the main thing. I imagine that the poor Capt's have a lot of explaining to do to home office. 

Only thing is the passengers who have most to talk about are mostly dispersing and going home.

Roy

Lots of people mentioning the word “ Blame” on other forums.

Safety Management System and safety philosophy has a NO BLAME policy, where incidents are used to learn from and to make the operation Safer, and not to punish, unless deliberate disregard of procedures or gross negligence caused or attributed to the incident.

this policy is nowadays adapted by all Cruiselines and Airlines and is a core value in the total Safety Policy.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 7:19 PM, Oakman58 said:

I saw that on the national news tonight.  Just one more of many reasons I won't try MSC.

I can make similar statements about HAL, whereas I have had many decent sailings on MSC without issue. HAL is the only line that I have had repeated issues on multiple cruises. I don't get the rabid fanfare for it on these boards, and those that act like they can do no wrong. I have had some sort of major issue with almost half of all the HAL cruises I have been on (4 out of 10).

Edited by UPNYGuy
deleting unnecessary info

A recent observation when I was on Nieuw Statendam in January:  at Grand Cayman, we were either at anchor or on thrusters--don't know which--but we were stationary at our "anchorage".  It was windy.   MSC Armonia was near us.  While I was in the Crow's Nest, for whatever reason, the Armonia began to change her position.  Raised her anchor?  Stopped her thrusters?  Don't know.  But, it surely appeared that she began to drift.  And, if I was the OOW, was drifting much too close to my ship!  I heard no warning whistle from NS's horn, so perhaps the OOW was aware of what Armonia was doing.  She did start to gather some speed and sailed before we did.  It's possible that she was trying to improve her lee for picking up her tenders.  Whatever was going on:  for this Mariner, it was an "interesting" sight!

Edited by rkacruiser

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

A recent observation when I was on Nieuw Statendam in January:  at Grand Cayman, we were either at anchor or on thrusters--don't know which--but we were stationary at our "anchorage".  It was windy.   MSC Armonia was near us.  While I was in the Crow's Nest, for whatever reason, the Armonia began to change her position.  Raised her anchor?  Stopped her thrusters?  Don't know.  But, it surely appeared that she began to drift.  And, if I was the OOW, was drifting much too close to my ship!  I heard no warning whistle from NS's horn, so perhaps the OOW was aware of what Armonia was doing.  She did start to gather some speed and sailed before we did.  It's possible that she was trying to improve her lee for picking up her tenders.  Whatever was going on:  for this Mariner, it was an "interesting" sight!

This would have made me nervous.