Removing Gratuity Charges?

Shorty6095

Hello all, first time cruiser here!  We'll be on the Pearl from Mar 6-10.  I have been scouring these message boards and finding lots of information!  One thing I've seen mentioned multiple times is that we have the option to remove the gratuity charges from our credit card that we made the reservation with.  We would prefer to tip with cash.  Even if we aren't able to remove the gratuities from the credit card, we'll still tip with cash while on the ship because that is just how we are.  We are very appreciative of those in the service industry and we'd rather put cash in their hand instead of NCL deciding how to divide up gratuity. 

Anyways... is having the gratuity charges removed as simple as calling NCL?

11 minutes ago, Shorty6095 said:

Hello all, first time cruiser here!  We'll be on the Pearl from Mar 6-10.  I have been scouring these message boards and finding lots of information!  One thing I've seen mentioned multiple times is that we have the option to remove the gratuity charges from our credit card that we made the reservation with.  We would prefer to tip with cash.  Even if we aren't able to remove the gratuities from the credit card, we'll still tip with cash while on the ship because that is just how we are.  We are very appreciative of those in the service industry and we'd rather put cash in their hand instead of NCL deciding how to divide up gratuity. 

Anyways... is having the gratuity charges removed as simple as calling NCL?

I think it would be pretty simple...ive herd of people having a bad experience and removing it post cruise, or while on the cruise..but not before hand....did you pre pay for the gratuities when orig booked? I dont know why anyone would pre pay for gratuities before they step foot on the ship. Its like walking into a fine dining restaurant and the wait staff approaching you asking how much tip you would like to leave....before you placed your order. 

There are multiple blogs about removing tips... i think its just a form that you fill out at the desk.

Best of luck,

Mark

• Like 2

I'm not sure, are you able to remove either?  When reading on this topic on this board, it didn't specify which could be removed, people we're just speaking in generalities about gratuities.  We did get the UBP, so I would be inquiring to remove those gratuities as well.  

Please keep in mind that your gratuity doesn't just go to the people you personally interact with. Other people who make your experience a good one receive a cut of it and when you chose to remove the autogratuity, you are taking income away from them.

• Like 7

oh brother you have opened a can of worms

be prepared for several hundred posts arguing whether tips /gratuities are the same and the moraility of removing them

basically NCL tries to make it simple by acknowledging that with freestyle cruising  you don't get same staff each night so appropriate tips at end doesn't work

just make it easy and leave DSC in place and you are sorted 

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Shorty6095 said:

I'm not sure, are you able to remove either?  When reading on this topic on this board, it didn't specify which could be removed, people we're just speaking in generalities about gratuities.  We did get the UBP, so I would be inquiring to remove those gratuities as well.  

Good luck removing the UBP tips...

Just leave DSC in place, and tip extra in cash

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, fabnfortysomething said:

oh brother you have opened a can of worms

be prepared for several hundred posts arguing whether tips /gratuities are the same and the moraility of removing them

basically NCL tries to make it simple by acknowledging that with freestyle cruising  you don't get same staff each night so appropriate tips at end doesn't work

just make it easy and leave DSC in place and you are sorted 

I definitely did NOT want to open a can of worms.  I had noticed in the threads about this topic that it was mostly people arguing back and forth, instead of having any actual useful information, which is why I decided to make a new post asking about this and hoping for some cut and dry information.  

I absolutely understand both sides of it.  And we would prefer to go the route of removing gratuities, if we are able to.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shorty6095 said:

For a four day cruise, you are talking about either $14.50 per person, per day (ages 3 and up) ... OR, $17.50 pp/pd in any SUITE category SF - H1.  These charges are the Daily Service Charge (DSC) that may only be requested to remove by going to the service desk and requesting a form.

The UBP is prepaid on your booking invoice and is NOT optional if you want the Beverage Package!

Use this link and scroll through the answers in MONEY MATTERS!     https://www.ncl.com/faq

• Like 1

Just now, LulaMae said:

Please keep in mind that your gratuity doesn't just go to the people you personally interact with. Other people who make your experience a good one receive a cut of it and when you chose to remove the autogratuity, you are taking income away from them.

agreed. I just have a gut feeling that NCL does not funnel ALL of the agreed"tip " money to the workers that the passengers are charged....I feel (and this is just me) that NCL takes a small % cut of all tips collected.

The tips per crew member is ACTUALLY pretty low if we use this example on a "Big Ship"

LETS USE THE BREAKAWAY...someone reading this please get out a calculator and multiply $15.00 per person X (3963 passengers) X  (7 days) avg cruise = $416,115 in total tip money charged (not including cash handed out in person) divided by the number of workers on the ship (1657 crew) comes out to $251 per crew member (that's assuming ALL crew on board are part of the "tip pool")

Yes I am aware that some cabins charge more per stateroom which would skew the numbers a little bit higher.

Consider most ships employment contracts are 6 months long...that's not a ton of money for how hard these crews work and the condition they work in.

Best,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, what none of us have mentioned yet is this:

NCL has an employee recognition program in place ... HERO CARDS.  This is one of the ways those who serve guests directly benefit.  Of course, the extra cash tip(s) are much appreciated!  Anyway, Hero Cards should be in your stateroom, but if you want more, just drop by the Guest Services desk and ask if they are not sitting out in plain sight.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, takeadip said:

agreed. I just have a gut feeling that NCL does not funnel ALL of the agreed"tip " money to the workers that the passengers are charged....I feel (and this is just me) that NCL takes a small % cut of all tips collected.

The tips per crew member is ACTUALLY pretty low if we use this example on a "Big Ship"

LETS USE THE BREAKAWAY...someone reading this please get out a calculator and multiply $15.00 per person X (3963 passengers) X  (7 days) avg cruise = $416,115 in total tip money charged (not including cash handed out in person) divided by the number of workers on the ship (1657 crew) comes out to $251 per crew member (that's assuming ALL crew on board are part of the "tip pool")

Yes I am aware that some cabins charge more per stateroom which would skew the numbers a little bit higher.

Consider most ships employment contracts are 6 months long...that's not a ton of money for how hard these crews work and the condition they work in.

Best,

Mark

I hear you as far as being skeptical about NCL keeping a small %.  Also the "gratuity" money that is added onto their checks is going to be taxed, giving them even less money.  And from the estimated calculations you just made, that is very little in tip money for a weeks worth of hard work.  I definitely do not want to cut their wages even further, especially the people behind the scenes.  That calculation definitely puts it in perspective for me and now I am rethinking removing the gratuity charges.  We will likely still tip them cash even if we keep the gratuity charges, cause they deserve better.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

So, what none of us have mentioned yet is this:

NCL has an employee recognition program in place ... HERO CARDS.  This is one of the ways those who serve guests directly benefit.  Of course, the extra cash tip(s) are much appreciated!  Anyway, Hero Cards should be in your stateroom, but if you want more, just drop by the Guest Services desk and ask if they are not sitting out in plain sight.

Thank you so much for this tip!  I will definitely be utilizing this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Shorty6095 said:

Also the "gratuity" money that is added onto their checks is going to be taxed, giving them even less money.  And from the estimated calculations you just made, that is very little in tip money for a weeks worth of hard work.  I definitely do not want to cut their wages even further, especially the people behind the scenes.  That calculation definitely puts it in perspective for me and now I am rethinking removing the gratuity charges.  We will likely still tip them cash even if we keep the gratuity charges, cause they deserve better.

But what about the behind the scenes people that also share in the service charge? If you don't see them how can you tip them?

Also the ship employees do not pay US taxes except on the Pride of America in Hawaii.

• Like 1

Removing the DSC penalizes the behind-the-scenes crew that you wouldn't get to tip. I would leave the DSC in place, and bring a little extra money for your cabin attendant, bar staff, or anyone else you think has gone above and beyond, and fill out vacation hero cards as well.

These types of threads always seem to devolve into a discussion about whether the crew actually gets the tips or not, or whether Frank Del Rio uses the money to light cigars and fill a big swimming pool with hundreds, while he laughs evilly. This thread will probably be no exception.

For me, it simply comes down to this: I take NCL at its word that the DSC goes towards the staff. That's what they tell me. I trust them to take care of me and my family while we're on vacation, and they always have, so I trust their word on the service charge as well.

If the time comes where I don't believe NCL is being honest and truthful about the charges (and I have never seen or heard any real evidence that they aren't), I will take my business elsewhere without a second thought.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by dcipjr
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, FranknBeans said:

This topic makes me crazy.

Why would anyone want to steal food from the staffs mouth who work so hard 7 days a week at all hours to feed their families back home. 

If you don't want to pay then maybe you should just stick to camping.

I agree and am always skeptical when someone asks how to remove gratuities so they can "give them out by hand". In my mind, hopefully I'm wrong, feel that people who are looking how to remove gratuities won't repay them. Pretending to convince others that they will follow through with it instead of just pocketing the money. Go on a Carnival and look at the guest service line and watch how many people are there removing gratuities. They'll tell you they want to pay by hand, or they had bad service, or something else. The truth of the matter is these tip movers or removers never planned on paying tips no matter what. It's best and the right thing to do to leave the DSC and tips right where they are. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I agree and am always skeptical when someone asks how to remove gratuities so they can "give them out by hand". In my mind, hopefully I'm wrong, feel that people who are looking how to remove gratuities won't repay them. Pretending to convince others that they will follow through with it instead of just pocketing the money. Go on a Carnival and look at the guest service line and watch how many people are there removing gratuities. They'll tell you they want to pay by hand, or they had bad service, or something else. The truth of the matter is these tip movers or removers never planned on paying tips no matter what. It's best and the right thing to do to leave the DSC and tips right where they are. 

I totally agree! Anthony  Bourdain did a show on CNN called "Parts Unknown" and one of the shows  was him in the Philippines. Two thing's I remember clearly from the show was that 80% of the population leaves home to pursue work elsewhere and they do this year after year,  rarely seeing their families. The other was that there version of McDonald's is called Jollibee. You just mention this on your next cruise and watch their faces light up. 

I often wonder if American and Canadian folks could do this job and how long we would last. For me I would be hard pressed to last to the next port.

41 minutes ago, FranknBeans said:

Why would anyone want to steal food from the staffs mouth who work so hard 7 days a week at all hours to feed their families back home. 

Biggest problem on tipping threads is the emotive language some people use, like steal and stiffing and cheapskate. 

NO one stealing anything if they simply do what the cruise line permits 

Simple really.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, FranknBeans said:

That's a nice way to spin it to make it seem like I'm an ass for considering removing it.   In the end, we.decided it wasn't worth it but I'll give you a brief answer below.   I think we can all agree that there are occasionally bad staff who act in an inappropriate manner.  Those are the times I think it's ok to remove it for that particular employee.   And I'll also add, since we didn't pursue it, I don't even know if it can been removed only from one person.

So we started our 7 day cruise with a pretty long talk with our cabin steward.   I actually thought it was nice though my wife and I both agreed he way over stayed hus welcome and it was a bit awkward.   That turned into "oh, there are my friends" and hin him flowing us into our room 3 times over the next two days.  Now it was uncomfortable and annoying but I still felt he .want well and was just socially inept. 

By the 4th day, he took my wife's arm and pulled her into the linen closest twice to tell her secrets.   Clearly not something almost any woman would we be ok with.   I didnt find this out until a few days later.  Stuff like this kept happening.  

Finally, on the 2nd to last night he tells us some story about missing dinner and asking if we could have the butler bring 2 orders of wings from o'sheehans at a certain time.  I thought it was extremely inappropriate.   I was so surprised he was asking that I didnt even hear half his story or know what to say.  Then, in front of me, he pulled my wife into the linen closet and shut the door.  Nothing really bad happened or trust me, I'd have made the news from throwing him overboard but my wife was furious and thought he was "rapey". 

So yeah, I absolutely can see where guests feel like there are times they don't want to tip.  Qnd truthfully,  we should have reported him so no one else had to deal with that. 

1 hour ago, jtheile said:

But what about the behind the scenes people that also share in the service charge? If you don't see them how can you tip them?

Also the ship employees do not pay US taxes except on the Pride of America in Hawaii.

Does anyone have the Contract for housekeeping, or wage agreement?  At bars and restaurants we know what the servers are making, and thus I feel it customary to tip... however, its a huge secret on cruise lines.. I've tried to find how they are compensated....   Ie if they get a 1/2 full ship, do they get 1/2 wages,, or full wages.. Are the wages based on daily/hourly/monthly or guest load?   If it is the same monthly no matter the guest load.. Then my tips are not going to the people, just to NCL... and well.. I won't pay them, because its a scam.... However if they are based on guest load.. then I would happily pay them.... See where I am going with this??

I follow multiple boards here as I don't stick to just one cruise line.  I can remember a thread ( I think on Princess Board 6-8 months ago,if someone wants to do a search to prove me wrong) were someone brought up a similar topic.  We all know how that went. 

However, a poster brought up that they were told by a crewmember that the cruise staff had to turn in all tips they were given and this was an industry wide thing.  Those tips were then distributed evenly like the DSC. Others also had heard this. Next this started multi accusations of "Fake News."  Believe it or not but a copy of a crews contract was actually posted stating all tips received were to be turned in for distribution. Gave some credibility to the notion that all tips are turned in.   Theory behind it is its considered part of their salary and included those behind the scenes..  There were some exceptions just can't remember what. 

So, if this is true, then dropping the DSC then tipping separately may actually reduce the portion they get.  But that depends on how much you really tip (and not just say you do).

Really I think you should just leave it on.