Insurance through RCCL

We go to insuremytrip and shop for what we need. I, personally, would never buy through RC. Make sure you read the certificate. Someone I know recently had to cancel due to an unforseen medical diagnosis and is losing the cost of the cruise.

Our most recent policy was about 4% of the total cruise cost and covers trip cancellation, interruption, medical and evacuation. 

3 hours ago, katiel53 said:

The article I read is from a creative sale RCCL site.  It is posted on the site we can't mention here.

I keep reading about sites or companies that can't be named, but this Muggle has no clue who the Voldemorts are in the minds of Cruise Critic moderators. How are us noobs supposed to know what cannot be posted? 

Note: I am not trying to hijack--this comes up in many threads, but it seems to come up a lot in insurance-related discussions. So, when someone references something, I often like to look it up so I can understand what is happening. If NYers cannot get RCCL insurance, I am also interested in finding out from the original source what the other considerations of that policy might be since I have RCCL insurance on 2 upcomings.

3 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I keep reading about sites or companies that can't be named, but this Muggle has no clue who the Voldemorts are in the minds of Cruise Critic moderators. How are us noobs supposed to know what cannot be posted? 

Note: I am not trying to hijack--this comes up in many threads, but it seems to come up a lot in insurance-related discussions. So, when someone references something, I often like to look it up so I can understand what is happening. If NYers cannot get RCCL insurance, I am also interested in finding out from the original source what the other considerations of that policy might be since I have RCCL insurance on 2 upcomings.

I'm sorry that I can't post the name of the site, but it one that I am sure you will know if you do a bit of checking.   Cruise Critic has rules and I've already have a warning for posting something I wasn't supposed to, so I won't do it again.  

I think if you use a site where people post often for things other than cruising, you will be able to find it.  It is in a group of Royal Caribbean posts.  It is a bit more definitive than that,  but use a bit of imagination and I am sure you will find it.

Another easier way would be to call Royal Caribbean and hopefully, they can give you info of changes effective 2/15/2019.   As I mentioned, I only know of changes for NY residents for NEW policies.

3 hours ago, Peachy59 said:

We go to insuremytrip and shop for what we need. I, personally, would never buy through RC. Make sure you read the certificate. Someone I know recently had to cancel due to an unforseen medical diagnosis and is losing the cost of the cruise.

Our most recent policy was about 4% of the total cruise cost and covers trip cancellation, interruption, medical and evacuation. 

We use 3rd party insurance as well, but eventually you get to an age where cruise line insurance is less expensive than 3rd party, because it is not based on age. 

When we took my mom and her friend to Alaska when they were in their 80's...it was cheaper for all of us to get cruise line insurance. 

katiel53:  Thank you. I certainly don't want to try to get around the rules. I am just having trouble figuring out the application of their rules so that I don't cause trouble! I will try to track it down.

Edited by mayleeman
Added name of poster responded to.

I see my problem now. I had only read the Terms and Conditions. A whole bunch of other rules are in the Community Guidelines.

As to the RCCL changes, was there any reason specified as to why NY was excluded? Seems like a big change affecting a huge number of potential customers close to Bayonne. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tutzig said:

That is also called.. Trolling!

I respectfully disagree. Trolling is intentionally provoking for no reason.  I "stir the pot" by putting forth my opinion, which may be a minority opinion.  But I will always put forth my reasons and be open to debate.

There are far too many people here of one hive-mind and I think it's important, especially to the newbies who come here looking for insight to know that the "cruise critic collective" isn't necessarily the only or final opinion on some of these matters.

1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I respectfully disagree. Trolling is intentionally provoking for no reason.  I "stir the pot" by putting forth my opinion, which may be a minority opinion.  But I will always put forth my reasons and be open to debate.

Seeing past post..

We can agree to disagree..

On 3/3/2019 at 7:43 AM, SRF said:

Really????

So my parents paying a few hundred of insurance and getting over $30,000 paid for a hospitaliztion and med evac flight was the same as burning that few hundred?

Again, I would NEVER advocate for someone putting themselves in a position where they did not have medical coverage or transport coverage.  I have health insurance that will reimburse charges, and I have access to a line of credit that will cover the gap until reimbursement.  I also have a subscription with MedJetAssist for medical transport.

If someone is lacking these coverages and finds an episodic purchase to work, great!

HOWEVER, most of these conversations devolve into talks about reimbursing the cost of a cruise or flight purchase.  And THAT is the coverage for which the justification is usually suspect.

22 hours ago, tutzig said:

I hope your parents are OK, that had to be scary.

My Mother passed about 5 days later.

Actually, SHE was gone immediately, her body lived for about 5 days.

Dad is doing fine, just turned 92.

Thanks.

19 hours ago, Peachy59 said:

As with everything, you need to shop around.

For our first cruise, 3rd party insurance for my parents was going to be close to 50% of their cruise fare (both 87 at the time).  RCI insurance was a few hundred dollars.

• Like 1

We're looking into getting third party insurance for our next cruise - depending on whats covered i'm seeing quotes for as little as $100 or even $200 and change for "cancel for any reason" coverage.  Now I know that there will still be limits, and conditions, etc. - but when people are willing to pay an "upcharge" of $250 or more for a refundable deposit booking, seems to me like the better move would be to get the NRD and then use the money saved towards travel insurance.

Am I missing something here?

Edited by dedels
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 9:32 AM, SRF said:

My Mother passed about 5 days later.

Actually, SHE was gone immediately, her body lived for about 5 days.

Dad is doing fine, just turned 92.

Thanks.

I'm sorry for your loss and am glad your dad is still doing well.

On 3/2/2019 at 6:23 PM, SSBrickNJ said:

If you come to a decision as to what you will do...or buy...let us know. I'd be interested to know what you thought was better after comparing Royal C's Travel Insurance and AAA's Travel Insurance (partner company "Allianz")

Try travel insurance.com, you can compare different companys, we saved half what Allianze and rcl were charging, same coverage.

On 3/3/2019 at 5:40 PM, mayleeman said:

You may want to do further research or post questions on the Travel Insurance Board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2019 at 9:40 AM, dedels said:

We're looking into getting third party insurance for our next cruise - depending on whats covered i'm seeing quotes for as little as $100 or even $200 and change for "cancel for any reason" coverage.  Now I know that there will still be limits, and conditions, etc. - but when people are willing to pay an "upcharge" of $250 or more for a refundable deposit booking, seems to me like the better move would be to get the NRD and then use the money saved towards travel insurance.

Am I missing something here?

Some people just want more flexibility with their booking. They can change to NRD later if the price is better and their plans are definite. Also travel insurance will only pay for specified events. The CFAR coverage will usually pay around 50-75% of nonrefundable charges and the premium is more expensive than a policy without it. I usually don't get CFAR because of the added expense. 

We have used many companies over our 70 cruises  . a lot depended on type of trip, location,price but as we got older most of ours  has been with Royal because they don't   price on age. I compare and some of our companies give higher evac, max  cost, etc  but hundred of dollars more in many cases. I only suggest that compare whats right for you but get some insurance. You can go for years with no claims but only takes one time to wipe you out. sickness,someone home passes,you slip and fall on ship. Think about how many ALFA calls you hear onboard and they don't count in the ones who require treatment in ports or have to return home early.  Calm seas and good health to all.  Bob & Nancy  The  Villages, Florida

On 3/2/2019 at 7:32 AM, SSBrickNJ said:

Are you by any chance a member of AAA auto club? They sell travel insurance. It MIGHT be a better value than the one offered by Royal C.

Maybe shop the company they use call: "allianz"

I purchased Allianz's annual policy about 2 months ago.  Having worked in the insurance industry back in the day, I really liked the benefits.  (Working in insurance makes one an insurance policy "reading zombie":  you can't resist the fine print.....:classic_biggrin:).  The cost of an annual policy was waaaaaaay cheaper than individual policies for the multiple cruises we are taking over the 12 month coverage period.  

We got it mostly for the trip interruption and medical evacuation coverage.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2019 at 9:51 AM, pcur said:

I purchased Allianz's annual policy about 2 months ago.  Having worked in the insurance industry back in the day, I really liked the benefits.  (Working in insurance makes one an insurance policy "reading zombie":  you can't resist the fine print.....:classic_biggrin:).  The cost of an annual policy was waaaaaaay cheaper than individual policies for the multiple cruises we are taking over the 12 month coverage period.  

We got it mostly for the trip interruption and medical evacuation coverage.

I don't know anything about an annual policy. We just go on a cruise approx. once every 2 years.

The insurance you get from cruise lines is pretty weak.  We always go shop at "insure my trip" and compare quotes.

We don't look for "cancel for any reason."  What we are looking for is adequare insurance for carrier defaults or delays (getting to the cruise) or a ship problem that shortens or lengthens the cruise and causes travel change costs, lost luggage,  and then - most important - medical care and evacuation which is completely inadequate in cruise line coverage.  We look for million dollar evacuation (air ambulance from a foreign country) and at least $250,000 medical care and $500,000 is better.  If you get trapped in a foreign country they want money for your care or transport and your home insurance will surely not cover it very well and neither will the cruise line insurance.

9 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

Instead of paying for trip insurance, why not get a Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card? It's free the first year, gets extra points for travel and dining, and is only $95 each year thereafter. It's cheaper than buying travel insurance.

What is the limit on emergency medical evacuation on this card's converage?