Neptune Suite Perks ??

curtdesilets

We found a fairly good deal on a Neptune Suite early this season to Alaska.  We have stayed in Signature Suites before.

What are all of the perks for getting a Neptune suite? 

It's about $500 pp more than a Signature Suite from my research on our cruise.

For those that book Neptune's, is the higher cost worth it?    Any input to this discussion is highly appreciated! 

I think it is worth it, but "value" is pretty personal  😉

What gave us "value"

complimentary laundry and dry cleaning

use of the concierge

use of the Neptune Lounge for nibbles, and first-of-the-morning coffee

breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill (hated it the first couple of times, but our Alaska cruise in May 2018 converted us to BIG fans 🙂 )

It's $500 more per person for 7 days?  That's around $72/person/day.  For me, moving to a Neptune would have that much value.  JMHO, YMMV.

If you're not sure, and you're happy with the Signature Suite, you might wait and see. Each time we've booked a Signature Suite to Alaska we've gotten a really nice upgrade offer to move to a Neptune. Last one was $129 pp for a 7 day cruise. (I will admit, once in a Neptune suite it's difficult to go back to an SS or Vista.)

Edited by oceanmom

I like Neptune Suites for the space of the cabin. Whether traveling as two or as a solo now, the extra space is very welcome as well as the nice deck. Concierge service is great and they can do for you what you might not be able to do for yourself such as getting dinner reservations at a time you want. Also where still available, breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill is lovely 

If you have never booked a NS before, then go for it. We've stayed in them twice, once on the Koningsdam and once on the Amsterdam. We loved the free unlimited laundry and eating breakfast in the PG. The Neptune Lounge was also nice to pop into to grab some snacks and talk with the concierge if we had any issues. You also get an in-cabin coffee maker which is nice if you like coffee the first thing in the morning plus the balcony is humongous!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, curtdesilets said:

We found a fairly good deal on a Neptune Suite early this season to Alaska.  We have stayed in Signature Suites before.

For those that book Neptune's, is the higher cost worth it?    Any input to this discussion is highly appreciated! 

I booked a Neptune on my first ever cruise at the recommendation of a good friend who was at that time a 4-star HAL regular.  She was aware of my tendency to claustrophobia (not panic-attack inducing; just very very uncomfortable) and thought the extra space would help mitigate that.  She was right.  

On that first trip, I didn't see the point of the Neptune Lounge as it didn't seem to offer much at all.  However, on my second cruise (38-day Voyage of the Vikings), the Neptune Lounge ended up being a place to pop in for a quick light breakfast or a mid-afternoon nibble.  In addition, the Concierge was extremely helpful in helping me navigate through reservations and wine packages.  A good Neptune Lounge staff makes all the difference.  So there's that.

The laundry is a huge plus, too.  You also go through a separate line for boarding but I've never seen the advantage of that.  I'll admit I didn't do breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill on either my earlier cruises, but I definitely will on my upcoming on (Mar 9-Apr 6 -- on the Eurodam).  I'm also booked into a Neptune for the Incan Empires cruise this fall on the Amsterdam (35 days).

A lot of "little" things that, for me, add up to a worth-the-expense experience.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

I’ll add to the others.

the only extra perks are the free drycleaning and laundry, the PG for breakfast, the concierge & the Neptune Lounge basically and space.

Your price is a sweet deal and I’d grab but it’s just me.  Not all Neptunes get upsell offers.  Ours are sold out on our 24 day cruise and I can assure you that the price per day was not what you are seeing 😉 

Have fussy clothes that you are worried about for laundry - just send them out for drycleaning 😉. Want a decent cup of coffee or tea in the morning or friesh squeezed on?  Neptune Lounge has it.

For the price you are dealing with I’d take it but only YOU can decide what is right for you

• Like 1

We feel that it is worth the extra money.

The concierges can also make change for you, reservations for the spa, specialty restaurants, etc.

You will get a free bottle of sparkling wine from the captain and hotel manager.  We always talk to the concierge and pay the difference for a better bottle of wine.

I've had the privilege of staying in a Neptune as a solo.  It is heaven!  First there's the extra space, then there's the Neptune Lounge, and my favorite - breakfast in the Pinnacle.  So much more relaxing than the Lido or even the MDR.  I usually pop in to the Neptune Lounge in the morning for fruit and coffee, then proceed to the Pinnacle for a full breakfast.  The Neptune is also handy when you come back from an excursion and just want to grab a quick snack.  The concierges can also help you avoid lines at the front desk, and can confirm or make reservations for you.  

In April I'm staying in a Neptune for a 6-day Coastal cruise, then moving to an inside cabin for the Alaskan leg when we get to Vancouver.  This keeps me humble. 

Back to your original question, I think it's worth it to upgrade at that price.

Roz

14 hours ago, curtdesilets said:

Several thoughts on this issue:

First, the value of the Neptune upgrade to me depends on the Neptune cabin location and the itinerary.  I love the Neptune aft-wraps for scenic cruises (especially the Panama Canal).  For others, I would rather be close to the Neptune Lounge (being a deck below to me is not worth as much). 

Second, once you become 4 Star, the value difference is less, as you already get some of the perks (like free laundry and VIP boarding).

Third, to me the difference in size (Signature to Neptune) is not that great, so you really need to make use of the other perks to pay for it.   On the other hand, the size difference between a Vista and Neptune is great, so I would place more value on that upsell.

4 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

You will get a free bottle of sparkling wine from the captain and hotel manager.  We always talk to the concierge and pay the difference for a better bottle of wine.

We didn't know you could do that. How much extra do you usually pay to exchange it for a bottle of wine?

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We didn't know you could do that. How much extra do you usually pay to exchange it for a bottle of wine?

While it varies by ship, we normally have been able to swap it for the house red or white, even up.

12 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

While it varies by ship, we normally have been able to swap it for the house red or white, even up.

That's what we've experienced on both O and X ships when we book a concierge or higher cabin. It just was interesting to hear HAL charges a fee to swap their complimentary bottle of sparkling wine for a bottle of red or white house wine. 

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That's what we've experienced on both O and X ships when we book a concierge or higher cabin. It just was interesting to hear HAL charges a fee to swap their complimentary bottle of sparkling wine for a bottle of red or white house wine. 

I have never paid a fee on HAL in perhaps 20 exchanges.  One time they would only give me soda in exchange, which was fine with me and one time they would not do anything.  Otherwise, no problems.  Of course, if you wanted a more expensive bottle of wine, you would be expected to pay the difference from the house wine value.

7 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I have never paid a fee on HAL in perhaps 20 exchanges.  One time they would only give me soda in exchange, which was fine with me and one time they would not do anything.  Otherwise, no problems.  Of course, if you wanted a more expensive bottle of wine, you would be expected to pay the difference from the house wine value.

Makes sense as the house wine on any cruise line isn't of the highest quality.

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Makes sense as the house wine on any cruise line isn't of the highest quality.

I find the house Chardonnay (Santa Carolina as I recall) to be "OK".  I do not like the house reds however. 

54 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You are assuming facts not in evidence. Krazy Kruisers said they trade for "a better bottle of wine", and pay the difference. You think they will give a $50 bottle of wine for a $30 bottle (just throwing out some prices- not representative) of sparkling wine, straight up?

52 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

You are assuming facts not in evidence. Krazy Kruisers said they trade for "a better bottle of wine", and pay the difference. You think they will give a $50 bottle of wine for a $30 bottle (just throwing out some prices- not representative) of sparkling wine, straight up?

From what DaveOKC said, it sounds like they will trade straight up for a house bottle of wine and that’s good enough for my cheap taste buds. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

So far, I've never had a problem when asking to trade the bubbly for a bottle of red (or white). It will be a "house wine". As I like reds the choice is either a cab or merlot of whatever the house wine is. Contact the concierges to make the swap.

I sent this to my dad who will be in an NS in April.

I told him all the advice here!  Thanks!  He is used to cruising small ships/premium lines.  The Oosterdam will be by far the largest ship he has been on.  I persuaded him to sail HAL and get a Neptune.  I really hope he makes use of the Concierge.

HAL Neptune Suite.pdf

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

It depends on the wine we select.  Anywhere from $20 to $50 and up.

The free stuff in the cabin on most ships has a value of around $18.

• Like 1

Booked a Neptune Lounge a few down from the Elevators close to the Concierge Lounge on the Eurodam for May 2019.  Looking forward to the extras, it is what made me pay the extra $1K for us both.  I think it will be nice for the luxury, the Concierge, the private restaurant, the PG for breakfast, laundry etc..  

• Like 1

Interesting thread.

We've booked 16 nights in a SS on Westerdam for $2,199, Neptune is $4,199.  A bit too steep of a difference for me, we're just excited to try a suite for the first time!  Though when we booked a SS on our 5 day coastal for $739, Neptune was only $200 more.  Might have been a great way to try it.