Turning Diamond on first night of second cruise

Bob(and others) may be able to help confirm if I go to the Loyalty Ambassador on the previous cruise along with my Parent''s and my reservation and see if we can get Diamond on the next cruise as on the first night we will be Diamond.  Now I know that cruise points are posted after the cruise but I have read here that they can make you Unofficial Diamond members.

Now if we were 12 nights away from Diamond then of course I can see them say no. It would be nice for Royal Caribbean to acknowledge a status change during the second portion of a Back to Back even if the points are credited after the cruise.

In a way it makes no sense as airlines and hotels acknowledge status changes during a trip. For instance if I was Platinum and became Diamond in a Hotel all they have to do is refresh the reservation and re enter my Frequent Stay Card and it would populate as Diamond and then they would give me access to the lounge.

Those three drinks at  night are a big deal on a 2 week cruise! I really could use a  Glass of Wine , Brandy and something else!  

Are you asking if you can be Diamond for the second week when you become Diamond during the first week of a B2B?

Or you don't become Diamond until the second week as your title suggests.

Edited by c-leg5

If you reach the Point to get to Diamond on the first leg of a B2B go to the LA and let them know so you would be D on the second leg.

If you turn Diamond during the second leg of your B2B you will be D after that second cruise. 

If it´s the second...Can you ask - sure. Be prepared for a no, as that should be the answer. That´s the rules. 

20 minutes ago, travelplus said:

Bob(and others) may be able to help confirm if I go to the Loyalty Ambassador on the previous cruise along with my Parent''s and my reservation and see if we can get Diamond on the next cruise as on the first night we will be Diamond.  Now I know that cruise points are posted after the cruise but I have read here that they can make you Unofficial Diamond members.

Now if we were 12 nights away from Diamond then of course I can see them say no. It would be nice for Royal Caribbean to acknowledge a status change during the second portion of a Back to Back even if the points are credited after the cruise.

In a way it makes no sense as airlines and hotels acknowledge status changes during a trip. For instance if I was Platinum and became Diamond in a Hotel all they have to do is refresh the reservation and re enter my Frequent Stay Card and it would populate as Diamond and then they would give me access to the lounge.

Those three drinks at  night are a big deal on a 2 week cruise! I really could use a  Glass of Wine , Brandy and something else!  

If you make Diamond after the last night on the first leg of a b2b cruise and qualify as D at the start of your second Cruise speak to the LA or DL concierge on the last night as you would need your cruise card changed.

A bit confused. Will you have accumulated enough points to become Diamond by the end of the first leg? If so, yes, visit the LA and advise that a change will take place prior to the next leg. If you are saying you need the points from the first night of the second leg to become Diamond, then no - points from the second leg will not be awarded until after the cruise has been completed. Doesn’t matter what airlines, hotels or other cruise lines do, this is how RCI does it. 

If it's on the second of back to back--Yes.  If it's during a specific stand alone cruise--NO.  That's happened to me when I achieved D+.  Spoke to the Loyalty Ambassador, but to no avail.

I believe the OP is saying they will be one point short of Diamond at the end of the first cruise. As others have said, you can ask but expect a no. As you already know, your points don’t post until the cruise is over, so you are not making Diamond after the first night of the second cruise. One point short or more, points still don’t post until the cruise is complete.

9 hours ago, LeeW said:

Take a three day cruise before your B2B and then you will have enough points at the end of the first cruise.  The LA can then upgrade you for the second cruise.

At that point it would less expensive to buy a drink package or just pay for drinks if all the OP want's with Diamond status are the 3 drinks. With that said I have read many stories on the Princess board how some sail a one day repositioning cruise solo in a suite just to make Elite Status to get free laundry service. The cruise lines love those people.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/9/2019 at 3:03 PM, travelplus said:

In a way it makes no sense as airlines and hotels acknowledge status changes during a trip. For instance if I was Platinum and became Diamond in a Hotel all they have to do is refresh the reservation

Actually it does make sense if you think about it.  In a hotel you can check in and out whenever you want, i.e. even though you might have a reservation for 3 nights, you can extend your stay as long as the hotel isn't filled to capacity, and you are also allowed to check out and leave early....no paperwork, no immigration issues, no fees other than possibly losing your prepaid, non-refundable room rate.  This makes it easy for them to "refresh" your reservation.

The same is not true of a cruise.  When you are booked for a week, there are rules and regulations that prohibit you from being able to just randomly board or leave the cruise mid-week.  You can get around these in an emergency, but it requires paperwork and may involve fees or penalties as well, and possibly the involvement of immigration personnel at the point of late embarkation/early disembarkation.  All of this probably means that your reservation is "locked in" for the duration of the cruise and can't be easily "refreshed" as it would in a hotel.

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Actually it does make sense if you think about it.  In a hotel you can check in and out whenever you want, i.e. even though you might have a reservation for 3 nights, you can extend your stay as long as the hotel isn't filled to capacity, and you are also allowed to check out and leave early....no paperwork, no immigration issues, no fees other than possibly losing your prepaid, non-refundable room rate.  This makes it easy for them to "refresh" your reservation.

The same is not true of a cruise.  When you are booked for a week, there are rules and regulations that prohibit you from being able to just randomly board or leave the cruise mid-week.  You can get around these in an emergency, but it requires paperwork and may involve fees or penalties as well, and possibly the involvement of immigration personnel at the point of late embarkation/early disembarkation.  All of this probably means that your reservation is "locked in" for the duration of the cruise and can't be easily "refreshed" as it would in a hotel.

Realize that many hotels are now charging an early checkout fee.  If you book 10 days, and check out after 8, they charge up.  Some fee, up to a full night charge.

And anyway, most hotel and airlines, the points post after the trip.  So if you make a level on day 5 of a 10 night stay, they do not upgrade you.  Or if you make a level halfway on a flight.  The except being that now, some airlines are recognizing Million Milers at the exact point in the flight where they cross the boundary.

21 hours ago, SRF said:

Realize that many hotels are now charging an early checkout fee.  If you book 10 days, and check out after 8, they charge up.  Some fee, up to a full night charge.

I said there could be a financial penalty, depending on the terms of your booking.  The point was more that you don't need any special permission to check out early like you do on a cruise, so in that sense a hotel booking can be treated as night-to-night, unlike a cruise.

Points are awarded a week to 10 days after the completion of the cruise.  OP...if you are not turning Diamond until 2nd leg of your B2B (if I understand what you are saying correctly)...then no.  You will not be officially Diamond until after the cruise when points are awarded.  

The only exception to being awarded a Loyalty level on the cruise that you attain those points...is Pinnacle. 

I just look at it this way....makes the next cruise that much sweeter.  🙂