Norwegians get to enjoy coffee-why don’t we?

Notonboard

I have cruised quite a few on NCL and have enjoyed the coffee makers in the cabins. I bring packets of hot chocolate and mix in to the coffee. I can then sit on my balcony in the morning without being bothered by room service or having to get dressed to go get some. I especially loved the espresso machines that NCL has in their suites. 

As to cleanliness - nothing that can't be fixed by just washing everything out before use. I do that at hotels I stay at.

4 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I for one wouldn’t want to use an in-room coffee maker because who knows what gunk is hiding in it. It’s not a big deal to me to walk up a few flights of stairs to get some coffee from Horizon Court.

I wouldn't use it either. It was actually a water kettle last year on the Sapphire. I assume mostly for tea drinkers.

2 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I for one wouldn’t want to use an in-room coffee maker because who knows what gunk is hiding in it. It’s not a big deal to me to walk up a few flights of stairs to get some coffee from Horizon Court.

I have used in-room coffee makers in hotel rooms and on NCL dozens of times and have yet to catch some dreaded disease.

• Like 1

It's a big deal to me.  I don't want to order room service because I don't know when I'll get up!  And that water often isn't as hot as I'd like.  This would be a huge plus for me.  Clearly not for everyone here, but I'd sure like it.

If you're a coffee nerd and must have fresh check out the AeroPress.  It makes fabulous coffee (one cup at a time) and is much easier to clean than a french press.  Here is my AeroPress, a small digital scale, my Hario hand grinder, and the finished product out on the balcony last summer in Alaska.  Fresh coffee, Alaska, and a balcony.  That's pretty close to perfection (even if made with room service water!).

Alaskan AeroPress.jpg

Alaskan AeroPress2.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 7:41 AM, Notonboard said:

I know that,  have hauled a thermos in my suitcase. Just thought it would be nice to make my own fresh cup in the mornings. Ahhh getting up not waking up others and not having to get dressed unless i sit out on my balcony.

Room Service

On 3/14/2019 at 11:27 AM, Notonboard said:

I don’t apologize for wanting to not order room service and have coffee. 

Room Service rocks

We hate getting dressed to get our first cup. 😎

Edited by pamwigs

Just sailed NCL, never used the maker in the balcony room.  It is small and makes very little coffee at one time.  In my opinion, more trouble to clean up for just 2 very small "cups" of coffee.  But I can understand those with mobility problems wanting one.  We don't all have to agree.

On 3/14/2019 at 10:06 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

I agree about hotels too.

We never use them and I question their cleanliness.

I absolutely question the cleanliness as well.   In addition to the coffee maker,  I will never use the glass drinking cups in hotel rooms or cruise cabins.   I am guessing they never go through the dishwasher or get sterilized in anyway.  

1 minute ago, tawlaw1526 said:

I absolutely question the cleanliness as well.   In addition to the coffee maker,  I will never use the glass drinking cups in hotel rooms or cruise cabins.   I am guessing they never go through the dishwasher or get sterilized in anyway.  

Gag...I saw that hidden camera snippet on TV several times about hotel room cleaning and they were using toilet rags for cleaning everything including the glasses.....Gag 

30 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Gag...I saw that hidden camera snippet on TV several times about hotel room cleaning and they were using toilet rags for cleaning everything including the glasses.....Gag 

That is exactly what I was referring too.   What an absolutely gross thought drinking out of one of those glasses.  I prefer room service or going to IC for my coffee.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brian1 said:

Info for all the germophobes out there.Boiling water kills germs.

It must be tough living your life in constant fear that everything is harboring deadly germs that will kill you by just looking at them,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, alanstarr said:

Its a good thing I prefer iced coffee. Just throw it in the fridge for the next morning!

Now,freezing is another thing,it doesn't kill all germs,lol.

23 hours ago, Doug R. said:

It must be tough living your life in constant fear that everything is harboring deadly germs that will kill you by just looking at them,

👌👌👌👌👍👍👍👍

• Like 1