Lesson Learned

l8cruiser

My wife and I were on the Freedom a few years ago. We were enjoying the serenity deck. It was a very hot day. My wife was reading and I needed to cool off. I said , I am going down the slide and dip in the pool. I slid down the slide and cooled off in the pool. As I started back up the stairs , my bare feet were on fire. I jump from shaded spot to shaded spot trying to get back up to the serenity deck. I couldn’t make it. The deck was hot enough to fry an egg. I flagged down a waiter and tried explaining to him my predicament. It took a few tries to make him understand. I needed him to go up and retrieve my flip flops. He comes back down with my flip flops on a tray. My wife said a guy just came up here and took your flip flops lol. That waiter received a very nice tip. From now on , I hold my flip flops across my chest when going down the slide. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, l8cruiser said:

My wife and I were on the Freedom a few years ago. We were enjoying the serenity deck. It was a very hot day. My wife was reading and I needed to cool off. I said , I am going down the slide and dip in the pool. I slid down the slide and cooled off in the pool. As I started back up the stairs , my bare feet were on fire. I jump from shaded spot to shaded spot trying to get back up to the serenity deck. I couldn’t make it. The deck was hot enough to fry an egg. I flagged down a waiter and tried explaining to him my predicament. It took a few tries to make him understand. I needed him to go up and retrieve my flip flops. He comes back down with my flip flops on a tray. My wife said a guy just came up here and took your flip flops lol. That waiter received a very nice tip. From now on , I hold my flip flops across my chest when going down the slide. 

OH YEAH...I have experienced the burning hot floors....it was awful...but I also learned never to do that again too :)

Edited by bingomamma19
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, coevan said:

so the deck was not hot when you went to the slide? It's definitely not a servers job to fetch your flip flops.

No the deck wasn’t hot from between where we were sitting and the slide . The ship was casting a shadow where we were sitting . 

27 minutes ago, coevan said:

40 minutes ago, coevan said:

so the deck was not hot when you went to the slide? It's definitely not a servers job to fetch your flip flops.

9 minutes ago, l8cruiser said:

No the deck wasn’t hot from between where we were sitting and the slide . The ship was casting a shadow where we were sitting . 

I'm sure the OP tipped the fellow.

Is the going tipping rate for flip flop retrieval $1 total of $1 per flip flop?

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

This happened to my ex a couple of years ago on the Escape, I was in the lounger, he went to the Grotto to cool off, I told him to take his flip flops because the deck gets HOT. He said he'd be fine, I sat back and when I turned around, he was sitting on a lounger about half way between because it was to hot to get all the way back. :classic_biggrin:

I tried to tell him.

Edited by tonit964
Ship error
  • Haha 3

i always pack  my pair of water shoes . I paid about 5 bucks for them years ago at Walmart and they are great for wearing on Lido or for the slide. my feet don't get burned from the hot deck and i dont have to fool with taking off and putting back on flip flops everytime I want to go down the slide or get in the pool

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisin4Becky said:

i always pack  my pair of water shoes . I paid about 5 bucks for them years ago at Walmart and they are great for wearing on Lido or for the slide. my feet don't get burned from the hot deck and i dont have to fool with taking off and putting back on flip flops everytime I want to go down the slide or get in the pool

This exactly!! Water shoes are a thing.

We learned something similar last year.  DH and I were up near the Fascination slides, taking pics of the whale tale and St. Maarten, using my little photography sphere.  After about two seconds of holding it while I took a pic, DH started jumping and yelling and juggling the glass ball.  I thought he got stung by a bee.  But no, the sphere was magnifying the sun and burning his fingers!  Lesson learned!

I got a good photo though!

globe.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, l8cruiser said:

My wife and I were on the Freedom a few years ago.... my bare feet were on fire. I jump from shaded spot to shaded spot trying to get back up to the serenity deck. I couldn’t make it. The deck was hot enough to fry an egg..... . 

Rookie mistake.

4 hours ago, Gamecock_Cruiser said:

Someone was nice enough to poor the coke on the deck for me to stand on and let me sit on the edge of their chair for a few minutes while cooling my feet. The deck can get VERY HOT!

Please don't say someone poured sugary,  sticky, coca cola on the deck of a ship? Gross!😵

• Like 1

21 hours ago, l8cruiser said:

I bring sandals which I can put my hand through and push up my arm until they are secure :-)

1 hour ago, coevan said:

Please don't say someone poured sugary,  sticky, coca cola on the deck of a ship? Gross!😵

OMG! A little soda on the deck (like no one has ever spilled a drink on the deck) OR 2nd degree burns. Hmmm, I’ll take the sugar please.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

OMG! A little soda on the deck (like no one has ever spilled a drink on the deck) OR 2nd degree burns. Hmmm, I’ll take the sugar please.

really?  accidently is one thing, deliberately pouring coke on the deck is just wrong

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 4:57 PM, coevan said:

Well that was unnecessarily judgy.  No, it's not the server's job, but how nice for him to go above and beyond to give good service.   

• Like 3