No more production shows?

RMLincoln

On 4/4/2019 at 9:42 PM, Despegue said:

Postmodern Jukebox is absolutely fabulous in what they do.

unfortunately, the North American audience seems less open to this retro style than Europe, where this is indeed extremely popular.

maybe too “artsy”for  many Americans and not enough glam?

I'm an American and I LOVE Post Modern Jukebox!!!!! A friend turned me on to them.   They are on my daily play when I drive to work.   A great combination of "modern" songs done swing style.  "Smells like Teen Spirit" make me chuckle.  The video of "Perfect Symphony" with Dave Koz on sax is a classic .

I'd go to PMJ-type music every night on a cruise!

Edited by slidergirl

5 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I am considering this cruise for next summer.  What will the "local dance and musical troupes" be?  Alaskan natives?  Has this happened on Alaskan cruises before?  I am actually intrigued by this.  Will HAL bring the Saxman village dancers onto the ship, for example?

In my previous yearly cruises to Alaska on HAL, I have never experienced a local dance troupe/show.

We have a very colorful international native American dance festival here in Albuquerque every year with many tribes in attendance.  Having such shows on a HAL cruise would be great for photographers and a chance to learn about the Alaskan native culture.  It is certain that every port has a native culture experience that the locals would be more than willing to share.

I am looking forward to the Zodiac experience once it is posted.

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have viewed the videos of these Postmodern Jukebox posted.  I'm not impressed.  Maybe a few glasses of wine prior to/during listening to this music would make me more mellow and accepting.  Sober:  No!

I know I am probably a dinosaur, but what's wrong with music from the disco era?  Where's Gloria Gaynor when we need her?

I vaguely remember Disco - I desperately needed to be drunk/chemically induced to listen to that stuff  back then...  At work, one of the funniest times is when someone switches our DMX music channel to 80s.  Usually I want to shoot myself after listening to 8 hours of disco.  But, when "Stayin Alive" comes on - unconsciously everyone in the Lobby starts bopping - and I laugh.  

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I vaguely remember Disco - I desperately needed to be drunk/chemically induced to listen to that stuff  back then...  At work, one of the funniest times is when someone switches our DMX music channel to 80s.  Usually I want to shoot myself after listening to 8 hours of disco.  But, when "Stayin Alive" comes on - unconsciously everyone in the Lobby starts bopping - and I laugh.  

Well, at least they aren't giving each other CPR. If you can get through 8 hours of disco, you have a stronger constitution than I do! 

And thank you sooooo much for the song that is now stuck in my head!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Well, at least they aren't giving each other CPR. If you can get through 8 hours of disco, you have a stronger constitution than I do! 

And thank you sooooo much for the song that is now stuck in my head!

I get back at them by turning on Italian Contemporary...  Or Smooth Jazz.  Drives the 20 somethings crazy!

The PMJ website seems to indicate that the shows are rotating between the HA fleet. So am I understanding correctly that it s in only one ship at a time? What is shown in the theater the remainder of the time?

Here is the line up for our 7 day on the Nieuw Amsterdam
Day 1 - movie
Day 2 - step one Humanity (dancing)
Day3 - comedian.
Day 4 - Illusionist
Day 5 - planet earth music video
Day 6 - step one Stages (dancing)
Day 7 - combo show of comedian and illusionist.

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Day 1 - movie
Day3 - comedian.
Day 4 - Illusionist

And they say there are no more production shows on Holland America.

Maybe someone could chime in about current shows on the Oosterdam.

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Day 1 - movie
Day3 - comedian.
Day 4 - Illusionist

🤔😒 Is there a description for Step One Stages on Day 6? we're on the same ship next month.  I don't think we've seen Humanity but the rest is 😴

We just returned from a 21 day cruise on Koningsdam.  During that time the show Humanity was done 5 times and the Stages was done twice.  My DH and I have cruised for a number of years and have so enjoyed the cast shows with live band, singing and dancing.  We went to see this new show  (put on by One Step which I believe is the name of the company) called Humanity twice (the second time only because I had looked at the schedule and made a mistake on what was being done) and Stages once.  We strongly disliked Humanity and would have walked out of Stages were it not for the fact that we were sitting in the middle of a long row and didn't want to disturb fellow guests.  This is such a let down from what we have experienced on previous cruises.  It seems odd that HAL is trying to up their evening music and entertainment and instead have put on two shows that had canned music and no singing.  The dancing in places looked as if they were just going through the motions.  So very disappointing.  We hope that HAL will rethink this change.

We enjoyed both shows and saw them on the NS and most recently on the NA. The NA performance was on the smaller stage as compared to the NS. The 10 pm show last night received an enthusiastic standing ovation. The music is pre recorded and the dancing more toward modern or ballet than the traditional cast shows. While we would prefer the cast shows given a choice, the new shows were great and we found the dancing outstanding.

What I don’t like is the planet earth movies as a sub for live performance. I love the live shows.

Btw - The name of the company is StepOne...

www.theinsidecabin.com

1 hour ago, RoyalVisit said:

3 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Day 1 - movie
Day3 - comedian.
Day 4 - Illusionist

OMG!  I am sure the cheerleaders (the same ones who support charging $10 for a 2nd main) will say this is all fine.  But lets us consider that on a 7 day cruise you essentially have 2 "dark nights" (the movies).   In our cruising life we have spent more then 1000 days on cruises of many lines.  HAL is the only mass market cruise line that has ever had "dark nights."  When we take a long HAL cruise (say 50+ days) we have learned to expect 1 or 2 dark nights (often when the ship is in a port until very late or doing an overnight).  But 2 dark nights on a 7 day cruise is going to kill HAL.  Word will quickly get around and many will book other cruise lines....for just this one reason.  The tradition on the mass market cruise lines is to have some kind of main show every night!  Some are certainly better then others, but there is always a show!  But not on HAL!

We have only one future HAL booking (a 30 day cruise on the Westy) which we have every intention of taking because of the great itinerary.  But it may be our last HAL booking...or at least the last until HAL comes to their senses on all these crazy cut-backs.  I do understand that some HAL cruisers go to bed right after dinner and they could care less about entertainment.  But most do enjoy some kind of show...even if it is the same production show they have seen 10 times in the previous 3 years.

Hank

Since they no longer have a house band, hiring a singer now requires them to hire a band as well   I bet that HAL is hoping that people will consider the BB King band a substitute for live main stage shows    Its not    Two dark nights on a 7 day cruise is not good and hopefully not a trend . 

There should be a live show every night.   

The planet earth show is nice, but i can watch you tube at home if i want nature TV

7 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Since they no longer have a house band, hiring a singer now requires them to hire a band as well   I bet that HAL is hoping that people will consider the BB King band a substitute for live main stage shows    Its not    Two dark nights on a 7 day cruise is not good and hopefully not a trend . 

There should be a live show every night.   

The planet earth show is nice, but i can watch you tube at home if i want nature TV

What you forget is that half the HAL ships do not even have a BB King band/show.  If I want a show every night I must now cruise on RCI, NCL or MSC!  Funny thing is that none of those lines is owned by CCL.

Hank

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

What you forget is that half the HAL ships do not even have a BB King band/show.  If I want a show every night I must now cruise on RCI, NCL or MSC!  Funny thing is that none of those lines is owned by CCL.

Hank

What'd you do? Fail math in HS?

HAL has fifteen, soon to be fourteen, ships; eight of which have a BB King's band playing

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

OMG!  I am sure the cheerleaders (the same ones who support charging $10 for a 2nd main) will say this is all fine.  But lets us consider that on a 7 day cruise you essentially have 2 "dark nights" (the movies).   In our cruising life we have spent more then 1000 days on cruises of many lines.  HAL is the only mass market cruise line that has ever had "dark nights."  When we take a long HAL cruise (say 50+ days) we have learned to expect 1 or 2 dark nights (often when the ship is in a port until very late or doing an overnight).  But 2 dark nights on a 7 day cruise is going to kill HAL.  Word will quickly get around and many will book other cruise lines....for just this one reason.  The tradition on the mass market cruise lines is to have some kind of main show every night!  Some are certainly better then others, but there is always a show!  But not on HAL!

We have only one future HAL booking (a 30 day cruise on the Westy) which we have every intention of taking because of the great itinerary.  But it may be our last HAL booking...or at least the last until HAL comes to their senses on all these crazy cut-backs.  I do understand that some HAL cruisers go to bed right after dinner and they could care less about entertainment.  But most do enjoy some kind of show...even if it is the same production show they have seen 10 times in the previous 3 years.

Hank

Sailed HAL some 10 or 12 years ago. Wasn't my favorite line but it was OK. Thought I would try it again for my upcoming Alaska cruise. Wished i had done more research prior to booking. If I had this booking would never have happened!

Day 1 - movie
Day3 - comedian.
Day 4 - Illusionist

A little added context here: Day 5 is a late departure (11pm) from Puerto V - so these days are usually movie nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/18/2019 at 3:27 PM, tpwolfe said:

Your right.  MSC is nothing like Holland America.  It’s better.  Even with the MSC ships being larger the have a lot more common areas so to me the ship felt less crowded then HAL.  We are 3 star on HAL and on the the Eurodam right now and we were talking today at breakfast that if HAL gets rid of their itineraries HAL wouldn’t have anything more to offer us.  We now just look at HAL as transportion to where we want to go.  Here is an some images of one of MSC production shows.  Then are from when we were on the MSC Seaside May 2018.

FEE6ABA7-C649-43F1-8733-6E19204DA6EB.jpeg

863B1FD1-2A7B-4B13-990E-A8013996C627.jpeg

1619633C-A692-448C-8A4E-5B9DE6AB3016.jpeg

DW and I made the switch to MSC 2 years ago and haven't looked back. We occasionally book other lines when the itinerary suits us. Now, if MSC starts doing Alaska, and the Canada/NE sailings we'd be set! Mereviglia is doing the Canada/NE this year, and I almost booked it. Didn't feel like being a guinea pig for how a new to the area ship handles people at a totally different pier though.  

Edited by UPNYGuy

We recently attended Post Modern Juke Box on the Rotterdam and it was a fantastic show, great entertainment.  We have seen the Humanity and Step One on the Nieuw Statendam and they were both great shows to see.  If you expect to see the rehashed Las Vegas type shows, then go to Las Vegas, the salutes to Broadway have been over done and you can see these type shows on You Tube.  I am very Happy that Holland America Line is presenting a New type of entertainment.

15 hours ago, Crew News said:

No. 

You know all ships have their entertainment planned long in advance.  Why do they not publicize the scheduled entertainment for at least 60 days in advance, with the "subject to change" wording?