In your opinion can I make a 10:38 flight time?

jasonmint

I have not found a definitive answer, so I hope some of the experienced cruisers can help since this is our first time.  We have an arrival time of 7AM in Miami Sat April 6.  Is it possible to make a flight at 10:38 AM?  I know NCL says earliest they suggest is 11AM.  Should we even try it or should I just try to get a later flight now?

Thanks for any help for this first timer!

Jason 

• Like 1

I think it's likely you'll make your flight.  MIA is very busy on weekends and security is slow.  If you're OK with a little stress and can roll with the punches if you miss your flight, go for it.  You'll need to get in line early for disembarkation.

You can most likely make it but it will be a rush.  Like the poster above said MIA is VERY busy on Saturdays.   Personally, I wouldn't want the stress of having to rush after having a great, relaxing cruise.  That's why I don't book a flight before noon.

• Like 2

I'd call it a 50/50 maybe.   No correct answer for that.   The flight will be loading around 10:20.   A cruise is about relax, relax.  I just don't want stress on my last day, or even stress thinking about it the night before.   If you can get a later flight conveniently, you will have time to have a nice breakfast the last morning before leaving the ship and just leave the ship in a relaxed no hurry state.  My opinion.  

Edited by roger001
  • Like 1

The only time I will do that flight time is if it saves me a lot of money.  I did an early flight like that several times but as others have said the key is to walk off with your luggage and to take a cab to the airport.  

I would do this in a heartbeat but I'm very used to tight connections and the process of rebooking the 1-in-20 times I don't make it. So do self-debark with your own luggage as early as they allow (A - find out in advance where they will start self debark from and get there ~15 minutes ahead of the suggested time, B - have everything you need handy for the customs agents, C - pre-arrange your cab / car service or page your uber on your way out of the customs hall).

I'd say you're ~95 per cent likely to make it but have a back-up plan in case you don't. Also keep in mind this 737 8Max thing could still be impacting airline schedules into April.

5 hours ago, ColinIllinois said:

You can most likely make it but it will be a rush.  Like the poster above said MIA is VERY busy on Saturdays.   Personally, I wouldn't want the stress of having to rush after having a great, relaxing cruise.  That's why I don't book a flight before noon.

This! I would rather have time to kill at the airport (MIA is fun to explore - at least the American terminal is - and some good restaurants) than ruin my relaxed vacation mood with having to rush and stress over if I will make my plane.

On 3/16/2019 at 11:13 AM, jasonmint said:

I have not found a definitive answer, so I hope some of the experienced cruisers can help since this is our first time.  We have an arrival time of 7AM in Miami Sat April 6.  Is it possible to make a flight at 10:38 AM?  I know NCL says earliest they suggest is 11AM.  Should we even try it or should I just try to get a later flight now?

Jason 

Jason

No problem.

Do self walk off. Be early in the line. Take a taxi (no fussing with waiting around for an Uber). Flat rate to MIA. 

Jason 

The odds are you make it, but if you miss it it might take three of four days to get rebooked because most flights are so full.

Keep in mind arrival time doesn't mean clearance time or disembarkation time. We were on the Bliss and disembarked Saturday (docked by 6 am or so) and the first group of self carry off wasnt cleared to get off until about 8 :15 AM. We were in the third group and off by 8:30 AM. 

Edited by NeurosurgeryNP

Jason 

My wife and I have done it twice, easy walk off breezed thru customs and grab a cab ASAP. Both times we were driving away from the port before 8am, dropped off at the terminal around 8:15am. One time easily made our flight at 10:15am. Second time had a flight at 1:30pm and on the ride over to MIA changed the flight to 10:05am

With that said if you get stuck in traffic you might be screwed

Edited by Laszlo

I've been at MIA at 9am before after disembarking on NCL.    But that's first out from the Haven self disembarking, grabbing a taxi and being one of the first out.    The airport is empty that early.

But that' all things going well.    I'd probably worry the entire cruise about not making it.    If you said 11am, I'd say go for it but 10:38, probably not.