NCL food compared to land based restaurants

tomservo

Let’s break up land-based restaurants into the 6 categories below. How would you compare the quality of NCL’s food, and which land-based restaurants in particular?

Fast Food (McDonalds)

Fast Casual (Chipotle, Panera, Smashburger)

Casual (Olive Garden, Outback, Applebee’s)

Premium Casual (Cheesecake Factory, Maggiano’s, Bonefish Grill)

Super Premium Chains (Ruth’s Chris, Legal Sea Foods, Capital Grille)

Fine Dining (non-chain)

For example, you could say that the buffet compares to some fast casual restaurants, or that the MDR reminds you of Applebee’s and Cagney’s is somewhere in between Longhorn and Capital Grille (not claiming any of this, just giving examples). 

The MDR is definitely casual.  The specialties are premium casual IMHO except I would put La Cucina is the casual section.  The Olive Garden has better everything including break sticks compared to La Cucina :classic_happy:

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 2

I would say the buffet compares to Golden Corral for starters: O'Sheehans  probably doesn't fit into any of the groups but is closest to fast casual. I agree with David on La Cucina. We have had very good food there and some hit of miss meals. I am not a fan of Olive Garden either, so I probably have a distorted view on La Cucina. Los Lobos isn't in any catagory as it just isn't true Mexican food, so don't know what to say. Cagney's super casual, yes, like Long Horn. That brings us to Le Bistro; I would almost put it into the Super premium or maybe top of the premium casual. MDRs I think above Chilies maybe more like Outback. Certainly a step up from Applebees. Of course I think Appelbees is pretty bad. 

BTW this is a fun thread and will be anxious to see how others rate the dining rooms. 

Buffet: Casual (Favorite: Breakfast at the Great Outdoors)

O'Sheehans: Casual

La Cucina: Premium Casual (Favorite: Chicken Parm. - no longer offered:classic_angry:)

Le Bistro: Premium Casual (Favorites: Onion Soup, Mushroom Soup, Escargot, Chocolate Fondue

Tappanyaki: Premium Casual (Favorites: Warm Sake Fried Rice and most entrées) Soup and Salad - poor!

Cagney's: Premium Casual (Favorite: Lettuce Wedge and Ribeye)

I enjoy all the food venues on NCL....I do have my favorite dishes.:classic_wink:

I agree….fun thread.:classic_smile:

Don

This is subjective. I agree with the buffet being on par with Golden Corral.

I do not buy the dining package anymore and only go to two

specialties (Cagney's and LaCuchina) that are included with Platinum status.

Cagneys is similar to Outback and LaCucina is a little better than Olive Garden

All in all don't expect fine dining onboard but the food is decent.

I rarely eat at chains...but I’ve never thought the food was outstanding on any line.  I’ve had great meals, don’t get me wrong...never gone hungry either.  Mainly, I’m not planning, cooking nor cleaning...that is what I enjoy. 

LeBistro stands on NCL to me, I will say that. 

This is what I think of how I would rate them in terms of quality (not the types of food they serve)

Buffet - Fast Food

I'm not a foody, but the quality at the buffet is really bad....not to mention all the hygiene issues I always see there.

MDR - Fast Casual

Its about the same quality as a lower-end sit down, land restaurant.  Sometimes its better, but if the MDR was a land restaurant I certainly wouldn't pay to go eat there.

La Cucina, O'Sheehans, Moderno - Casual

Moderno is a major step below its comparative land based Brazilian Steakhouses (Texas de Brazil, Fogo de Chao, etc)

I might have Cucina a little high, but its probably equivalent to these types

Teppanyaki, Los Lobos - Premium Casual

I was pleasantly surprised by Los Lobos.  Probably the best value (in terms of ala carte cost) on NCL.

Le Bistro, Cagneys - Super Premium Chains

For the most part, my experiences with these have been on part with high quality chains or non chains.  Its not always great and sometimes you have to return something, but I've had similar experiences at Ruths or Capital Grilles. 

I've never eaten at Shanghai or the Sushi place.

I have only had Buffet, Cagneys, Tappenyaki, los lobos, and the lunches at cagneys/moderno for suites.

The buffet was definitely a step up from local buffets of a similar style - Casual

Tappenyaki was almost identical to local ones but I think they are a category all their own

Cagneys when I had it was equal quality to any generic casual/premium casual steak house. I found the apps overrated though.

Los Lobos was my favorite special dining and ironically the cheapest. It reminded me of a better south of the border chain(up scale chili's) - so probably a more upscale non chain texmex place

the suite lunches/breakfasts in cagneys/moderno were possibly my favorite. The steak and eggs were always awesome, real steaks cooked well and seasoned appropriately, had the vibe of a slightly upscale sunday brunch.

I would never say they are the best meals but I think all the food ive had has been acceptable to very good on board. I would not equate it to a foodie paradise but I totally enjoy 90% of it. It is all subjective too though.

Side note. I have been craving steak for weeks and just keep telling myself to wait for the cruise I have coming up and to save $ on groceries haha

Edited by Takoyaki

The Cagney's steak I have had (on Getaway and Escape) absolutely cannot touch the "super premium" steakhouses I've been to (both Ruth's Chris, and local high-end steakhouses). 

Le Bistro is okay, but cannot touch the local French bistro in my town.

The best "high end" food I've ever had on a cruise was in Palo on Disney Dream. 

I find the MDR foods to be on par with Applebee's or Chili's.  LeBistro is usually up there with Ruth's Chris.  Moderno is equivalent to Texas de Brazil.  I haven't found a restaurant on any cruise ship I would label as "fine dining."

I don't frequent the buffet, but I went once in November aboard Breakaway.  Honestly, I would take McDonald's or Golden Corral first.

I would say the MDRs are a big step up from Applebee's or Chili's style restaurants because those have pre packaged food that they just heat up as does Olive Garden. The ships make their own bread and cut their own meat. Of the three cruise lines I have been on, NCL, RCCL, and Carnival, Norwegian's buffet is a winner hands down due to their breakfast, made to order egg/omelet stations and larger variety at every meal.   

10 minutes ago, drcarp4 said:

I would say the MDRs are a big step up from Applebee's or Chili's style restaurants because those have pre packaged food that they just heat up as does Olive Garden. The ships make their own bread and cut their own meat. Of the three cruise lines I have been on, NCL, RCCL, and Carnival, Norwegian's buffet is a winner hands down due to their breakfast, made to order egg/omelet stations and larger variety at every meal.   

I used to wait tables at a Bennigan's, and was surprised to find out that much of the food was pre-packaged and pre-portioned, and then heated up to order. Proteins were grilled/deep fried to order, otherwise all of the sides were individually bagged in the walk in. Boston Market does basically the same thing, although I think the only protein they actually cook in the store might be the chicken. If I do go to a chain, I prefer ones that at least make the food from scratch (Cheesecake Factory, Maggiano's, etc).

10 hours ago, tomservo said:

Let’s break up land-based restaurants into the 6 categories below. How would you compare the quality of NCL’s food, and which land-based restaurants in particular?

Fast Food (McDonalds)

Fast Casual (Chipotle, Panera, Smashburger)

Casual (Olive Garden, Outback, Applebee’s)

Premium Casual (Cheesecake Factory, Maggiano’s, Bonefish Grill)

Super Premium Chains (Ruth’s Chris, Legal Sea Foods, Capital Grille)

Fine Dining (non-chain)

The MDR, to me, is casual.  Many of the specialty restaurants are premium casual.  (I haven't tried all of them.)  The difference is in the service.  The food at MDR might be comparable to Chili's...but the service is totally different.  That's what we enjoy.  So it's tough to perfectly fit your categories.  It's easier for food quality, IMO, but tough for service levels.  

The buffet is like a Furr's Cafeteria, or Luby's (or yes, Golden Corral).  It gets the job done...but I also can't remember the last time we had dinner at a buffet on a ship.  The function they serve for us is breakfast on excursion days, and perhaps lunch on the first day.

I have found many delightful items in the buffet that place it in a class far above Golden Corral and similar.  A few include whole roasted Hunan duck carving station on Asian night; whole roasted hog (snout to tail) carving station at lunch; and unlimited chilled shrimp and mussels on the half shell awaiting cocktail sauce on seafood night.  The sandwich of the day (lunch) is often good and the Indian dishes section is also worth seeking out.  The cheeses section has been mixed, on one recent cruise it was a nice selection of large, soft cheeses with breads, crackers, figs and dates.  On another it was just indifferent small cheese squares.  The burger patties were nothing special, but with grilled onions, crumpled bleu cheese and tomato slices they tasted quite good.  I pass on the baked desserts, but eight flavors of hard ice cream (plus soft chocolate and vanilla) are offered.  

• Like 1

I am not sure what Golden Corral most of these posters have been to, but the buffet is DEFINATELY better than any of the ones we have eaten at. MANY more selections, and much cleaner too.  Fresh made crepes? Yes, thank you. The MDR take hits all the time, but again, we have always had good food there, and great service. I don't know of any Applebees that serve you on white table cloths. Le Bistro is a stand out, IMO - a fine dining experience for us. I may be looking through rose colored glasses, but I think most of the comments are really low balling the great experiences and food that are served on the ships, but then the way I see it any day on a ship beats being at home.  

21 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

This is what I think of how I would rate them in terms of quality (not the types of food they serve)

Buffet - Fast Food

I'm not a foody, but the quality at the buffet is really bad....not to mention all the hygiene issues I always see there.

MDR - Fast Casual

Its about the same quality as a lower-end sit down, land restaurant.  Sometimes its better, but if the MDR was a land restaurant I certainly wouldn't pay to go eat there.

La Cucina, O'Sheehans, Moderno - Casual

Moderno is a major step below its comparative land based Brazilian Steakhouses (Texas de Brazil, Fogo de Chao, etc)

I might have Cucina a little high, but its probably equivalent to these types

Teppanyaki, Los Lobos - Premium Casual

I was pleasantly surprised by Los Lobos.  Probably the best value (in terms of ala carte cost) on NCL.

Le Bistro, Cagneys - Super Premium Chains

For the most part, my experiences with these have been on part with high quality chains or non chains.  Its not always great and sometimes you have to return something, but I've had similar experiences at Ruths or Capital Grilles. 

I've never eaten at Shanghai or the Sushi place.

Am a bit surprised with how you rate some of the restaurants. I guess that is why we say food is so subjective: I can't imagine anyone  putting Moderno's in the same catagory with O'Sheehan's As for not as good as land based Brazilian steak houses, somewhat agree, but it is still very good with a great salad bar. I would not say the buffet is awful food. The sanitation issue is another topic and something that is discussed a lot whether on ships or land based buffets. 

6 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I can't add much to the discussion since McDonalds and Cheesecake Factory are the only restaurants I know anything about but I'm wondering why some people cruise if they think the food is so bad! I should never cruise if I didn't liked the food!

some people just like to have an excuse to gripe I think. I happen to agree with you. 

23 hours ago, Takoyaki said:

the suite lunches/breakfasts in cagneys/moderno were possibly my favorite. The steak and eggs were always awesome, real steaks cooked well and seasoned appropriately, had the vibe of a slightly upscale sunday brunch.

I'm with you on this one and this went into my ranking.  The suite lunches are among the best meals I have had in a long time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

I'm with you on this one and this went into my ranking.  The suite lunches are among the best meals I have had in a long time. 

On the one down side of it, which was hilarious since it happened to my wife not me

She kept ordering the escalope de veau(thin boneless veal chop) and they kept bringing her scallops. It happened twice. I feel like the menu should have been reworded if the servers got confused. Good thing she also likes scallops :classic_tongue:

Edited by Takoyaki

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

In general, which of the restaurants above does 20,000 covers a day?  

Thanks for reminding people about this. It is a major factor in MDR, NO mainstream restaurant serves that many meals in one day let alone approx 4 hours.

Heck 3,000 -4,000 is a lot.

Edited by beerman2