Passport 6 month rule

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Nope, a US citizen can fly back home from wherever, and to re-enter the US their passport only needs to be good through the day they re-enter the US, not for 6 months after. 

This is incorrect. To go to Cuba, it must be valid 6 months past the return date. It is quite strict for Cuba, specifically.  

1 minute ago, AlexisV said:

This is incorrect. To go to Cuba, it must be valid 6 months past the return date. It is quite strict for Cuba, specifically.  

Not really incorrect, the poster was citing an example of flying home, not going somewhere else.

5 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

It's more to do with country requirements and not missing the ship.  The six month requirement is for NON U.S. sailings and Cuba.  Here is Royal Caribbean's requirements.  

"For US Sailings -

• US Citizens need their official Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, Hospital Birth Certificates are not accepted (baby feet Birth Certificates). We highly recommend guest sail with their valid US Passport book with 6 months validity past their cruise

For International SailingsUS Citizens require a passport book with a minimum of 6 months validity post the return of your sailing and the corresponding visa required for entry and exit from the country.

For Cuba Sailings - All cruises to Cuba require a passport book (NO passport cards or other forms of I.D. will be accepted) valid for at least 6 months after the sailing date, for all guests including minors, acquiring the appropriate visa, and the completion of the Travel Certification document identifying which of the 12 general licenses you are traveling under. Each guest must bring two printed, completed copies of the Travel Certification document to the pier on embarkation day."

Exactly how does what you said differ from what I said? In fact, your information from the website confirms my information 🙂

14 minutes ago, AlexisV said:

My reply was not in reference to going to Cuba; it was in response to what someone said about flying home to the US.  And for that, what I said was 100% correct- a US citizen can re-enter the US with exactly one day of validity remaining on their passport.

11 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Not really incorrect, the poster was citing an example of flying home, not going somewhere else.

Exactly!

10 minutes ago, AlexisV said:

Exactly how does what you said differ from what I said? In fact, your information from the website confirms my information 🙂

You're talking about GOING TO Cuba.  I'm talking about re-entering the US.  Two completely different things.

11 minutes ago, AlexisV said:

Is this thread not specifically about Cuba?? LOL 

Not really.  The OP started the thread with the question in regard to a cruise to Grand Cayman, Jamaica and Cozumel.  Cuba was mentioned later, as being one place that you do need a passport, unlike other Caribbean ports that one might cruise to.  And again, my earlier reply was in response to a comment about returning to the US.

2 hours ago, RDC1 said:

However keep in mind that if for some reason they do not let you board with less than 6 months (last minute change in policy by some country or another), you would have no recourse and will lose the money spent. 

Yes leave passport in safe. Carry a copy or just your drivers license.

If that were the case half the ship wouldn’t be able to board because they don’t have passports. 

A copy of your passport is worthless. I never understood why one would go through the expense of having a passport and then leave it in the safe where it does you no good. 

• Like 1

Several years ago I took a last minute closed loop cruise with a passport that expired the week after I returned.  No problems.

Edited by mek

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

If that were the case half the ship wouldn’t be able to board because they don’t have passports. 

A copy of your passport is worthless. I never understood why one would go through the expense of having a passport and then leave it in the safe where it does you no good. 

Copy is useful in getting a replacement when overseas and original is stolen, as id not much use other than to give to consulate for temporary or replacement passport.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/lost-stolen-passport-abroad.html

7 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Copy is useful in getting a replacement when overseas and original is stolen, as id not much use other than to give to consulate for temporary or replacement passport.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/lost-stolen-passport-abroad.html

This.  I only carry my passport ashore if it is a requirement, which has happened exactly twice in 40 some cruises.  Otherwise it stays in the safe.

40 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

True, but I have a passport to assist immediately in an emergency. Waiting at the embassy or consulate for a replacement does not fall in line with my needs. I want to have passport in hand, and handle whatever needs to be handled right away. 

To each bis own. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

True, but I have a passport to assist immediately in an emergency. Waiting at the embassy or consulate for a replacement does not fall in line with my needs. I want to have passport in hand, and handle whatever needs to be handled right away. 

To each bis own. 

Yes I carry mine, just a habit going back from over the years. When you fly out of the country it has to be the original document.

My point is I guess it would be useful to carry a copy in case I was to get robbed or lose it, a copy makes getting a replacement simpler but I don't see how a copy can be used as ID. 

I really have only cruised to travel twice, both out of the country and carried my passport both times, needed  it once to cross a border into another country on an excursion. I was never aware of the relaxed requirements for closed loop cruises until I started reading CC.

Edited by AlanF65

18 hours ago, AlexisV said:

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was only posting the exact info on Royal Caribbean's website.  Other than your statement "The recommendation probably has more to do with being able to fly back in to the country should you miss the ship."  I was only suggesting that the reason is not as you stated, but actually due to the regulations of many foreign countries.  I don't think RCCL worries all that much about someone missing the ship to the extent they require a passport valid for 6 months past sailing date.  And I only  pointed that out so that people didn't blame Royal Caribbean if they show up for a cruise with an passport that is expiring and get denied boarding.  If it wasn't a condition of the foreign govts. they could allow boarding.  And if it is as you said, they'd require a Passport for Caribbean cruises.

Not trying to be contentious, just expressing an opinion.  

Edited by papaflamingo

On 3/22/2019 at 2:25 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

I also don't get how someone traveling any where doesn't carry any ID.  If copies were accepted there wouldn't be so much red tape to obtain a passport or a state ID. 

On 3/22/2019 at 4:26 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

To each bis own. 

I only thing I do as an extra precaution just to have the information is scan the passports and email the copies to myself and wife. As long as I have my phone or access to a computer I can retrieve them incase they are stolen.

On 3/22/2019 at 7:36 PM, AlanF65 said:

I really have only cruised to travel twice, both out of the country and carried my passport both times, needed  it once to cross a border into another country on an excursion. I was never aware of the relaxed requirements for closed loop cruises until I started reading CC.

Until 15 years ago, I used the DL/birth certificate method, since then I have had a passport.  I have been cruising since 1981.  15 years ago the gov't issued a reg that said after a certain date you had to have a passport for any type of cruise.  There was a mad rush with line at post offices to submit the paperwork etc.  The gov't eventually announced they were delaying the requirement then eventually just dropped the whole matter.

The reason why I know it was 15 years ago, is that I am on my second passport and it is at its midpoint before expiration.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:25 AM, gatour said:

Until 15 years ago, I used the DL/birth certificate method, since then I have had a passport.  I have been cruising since 1981.  15 years ago the gov't issued a reg that said after a certain date you had to have a passport for any type of cruise.  There was a mad rush with line at post offices to submit the paperwork etc.  The gov't eventually announced they were delaying the requirement then eventually just dropped the whole matter.

The reason why I know it was 15 years ago, is that I am on my second passport and it is at its midpoint before expiration.

Not quite.

History[edit]

Beginning on January 23, 2007, all persons (including U.S. citizens) traveling by air to the United States from all foreign countries (including Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda) are required to present a valid passport, NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard/Merchant Mariner Document.

On January 31, 2008, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers stopped taking verbal declarations of citizenship from U.S., Canadian, or Bermudian travelers as proof of citizenship arriving from sea and land ports of entry.

On March 27, 2008, the Departments of Homeland Security and State announced that "full implementation" of the land and sea provisions of WHTI would begin June 1, 2009; on that date, the above listed types of documents would become the only acceptable documents for border crossings for most travelers.

In addition to the other documents designated under WHTI, U.S. citizens on round-trip cruise-ship voyages that begin and end at the same port of entry in the United States may also carry a government-issued photo ID and birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or Certificate of Naturalization. Foreign nationals need a WHTI-designated document to travel to the United States on a cruise ship.

11 minutes ago, SRF said:

Not quite.

History[edit]

Beginning on January 23, 2007, all persons (including U.S. citizens) traveling by air to the United States from all foreign countries (including Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda) are required to present a valid passport, NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard/Merchant Mariner Document.

On January 31, 2008, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers stopped taking verbal declarations of citizenship from U.S., Canadian, or Bermudian travelers as proof of citizenship arriving from sea and land ports of entry.

On March 27, 2008, the Departments of Homeland Security and State announced that "full implementation" of the land and sea provisions of WHTI would begin June 1, 2009; on that date, the above listed types of documents would become the only acceptable documents for border crossings for most travelers.

In addition to the other documents designated under WHTI, U.S. citizens on round-trip cruise-ship voyages that begin and end at the same port of entry in the United States may also carry a government-issued photo ID and birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or Certificate of Naturalization. Foreign nationals need a WHTI-designated document to travel to the United States on a cruise ship.

The government did say that passports would be required and a lot of people did get passports based on those statements. 

27 minutes ago, SRF said:

Not quite.

History[edit]

Wikipedia doesn’t always tell the whole story, you are trying to correct someone who is already 100% correct. 

My I suggest you read the screen print of the US Customs & Boarder Patrol that is attached.  Then call the US C&PB / Immigration office in the port you are leaving from. These agents are always very helpful.  Suggest that person have a non-drivers or drivers photo ID with them and the birth certificate ( not a copy ).   

CBP 2.png

18 minutes ago, TTraub1250 said:

My I suggest you read the screen print of the US Customs & Boarder Patrol that is attached.  Then call the US C&PB / Immigration office in the port you are leaving from. These agents are always very helpful.  Suggest that person have a non-drivers or drivers photo ID with them and the birth certificate ( not a copy ).   

CBP 2.png

This is not a CBP issue since the 6 month requirement is imposed by other countries. The State Department website has information on other countries that includes the documentation requirements to visit (although it doesn't always outline the requirements for cruisers).

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Yes, the cruise ship exemption came after the initial requirements for ALL international border crossing to need a passport.

I wonder how many people rushed to get a passport or passport card because they read that their state is not REAL ID compliant and the deadline was fast approaching.

So when all is said and done...

Use a passport as needed. When you approach the year of the expiration date (and prior to any planned trip thereafter)...it would be prudent to execute the renewal process so that you aptly have it ready prior to the departure.

Are there alternatives...maybe, maybe not...depending on the specific travel destination(s). A password removes the guess work and/or uncertainty.

Easy peasy.