European Cruise - different beginning & ending locations

HickoryKat77

I am looking at a cruise that begins in Venice and concludes in Barcelona.  One-way flights in and out of these cities is far more expensive than a round-trip flight from one location.   Is there a cheaper way that you have found to resolve this 2 different location problem?  I live in the USA.

Edited by HickoryKat77

4 minutes ago, HickoryKat77 said:

I am looking at a cruise that begins in Venice and concludes in Barcelona.  One-way flights in and out of these cities is far more expensive than a round-trip flight from one location.   Is there a cheaper way that you have found to resolve this 2 different location problem?

Try a multi-destination itinerary.  We've done two cruises in Europe that start and end in different cities and were able to find good airfare.  Also, check the cruise line air program.  I've found some incredible one way fares to/from Europe.

We congratulate you in choosing that kind of itinerary since we always strongly recommend beginning and ending at different ports (and spending some land time at both ends).  As to your air issue it would be helpful if you posted where you live (USA, Antarctica,  Mozambique, etc).   But lets talk in generalizations since we do not have your details.  If flying to/from North America you can avail yourself of what is called an "open jaw" fare.  In simple terms you would book something similar to a round trip fare (into Venice and home to Barcelona).   You might want to explore some other options for Venice such as flying into Rome, enjoying a few days, and then taking a train up to Venice.  Or you could fly into Milan and then later find your way to Venice.  or you could simply fly  in to Venice (we recommend spending at least 2-3 nights in that city).

You can look at the normal search engines (Expedia. Orbitz, etc) and utilize the "multi-city" booking option to find fares.  Another option is to check with your own cruise line who may (or may not) offer some decent air options.

Hank

30 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Try a multi-destination itinerary.  We've done two cruises in Europe that start and end in different cities and were able to find good airfare.  Also, check the cruise line air program.  I've found some incredible one way fares to/from Europe.

Use ITA Matrix to search for multi-city routings. (No tix sales).

Use the multi city routing at the airline or use the cruise lines air program.  A third option depending on where you live is to check out some of the alternate carriers that do not show up on sites like Expedia.  For example Norwegian Air and Icelandair both sell one way as independent packages and can be less than booking the more traditional carriers.

I'm just saying the same thing in a slightly different way.  When you book flights, you generally have three options:  Round-Trip, One-Way, and Multi-city.  Instead of booking two separate one-way flights, you should book one Multi-city itinerary.  

Alternatively, book a roundtrip Venice then use a regional flight to get you from Barcelona back to Venice.   Keep in mind if you book the regional flight as a separate itinerary, the airline is not going to step up should you miss a connection of something.   We use puddle jumper flights on a separate itinerary all the time to take advantage of lower cost round trip fares to Europe.      

It is only 1237 km.  You could drive and do some sightseeing on the way.  Google says 13 hours driving so if you take 3 or 4 days, it would be a very leisurely drive.  However the international car drop off fee might be a lot.  That is what I would do.

DON

The simplest & most cost-effective way to do it, as a couple of posters have already mentioned is to book "Multi-city" return air tickets.

If any airlines still use the phrase "open-jaw" It means the same thing. 

You need to start & finish at the same airport (your home airport) and you need to buy both legs in the one "multi-city" transaction using the same airline or air-alliance.

So figure which airlines operate flights to both Barcelona and Venice from a convenient home airport.

If no single airline operates to both of those European destinations, use a search tool like Skyscanner or a  flight consolidator who will match airlines that work together.

The price for both legs should be the the mid-price for simple return tickets to those two destinations.

We've done it - it works :classic_smile:

JB :classic_smile:

BTW Don, driving between the two would be a great experience.

But I checked just one popular rental agency. Just the one-way fee is over $2,000 :classic_ohmy: 

Edited by John Bull

suggest you check out major american and international carriers that serve your nearest airport... for open jaw tickets.  

We have done open jaw tickets on American Airlines from San Francisco to Milan, Barcelona to San Francisco years ago.    

Have you inquired about the cruise line air?  Of all the TA's or European cruises we've taken, the cruise line air has always been a considerably better deal.  We've even added days post cruise, still using their air and there was no additional cost other than getting to the airport was on our dime.

I would also recommend that you check with the cruise line air plan as others have.  I have done that for a couple of TA's and they have always beat the airfare that I could find by quite a bit.  They are not the best for domestic travel but are very good for international flights.

OP does not say what cruise line they will be traveling with.

I cruise with Princess and always use their "EZAir" program for international flights, as well as some domestic flights to/from cruises. I've gotten some amazing fares (well under half the price if booking directly with airlines) whether round trip thru the same port city or flying into and out of different cities. They offer lots of flights to choose from with multiple major airlines, with flexible faring or traditional pay-up-front fares, and I always get the best fares using the flexible option. With the flex type, if you find a better fare or flights with better timing,  you can cancel your reservation and rebook at no cost up to 45 days before the first flight. I've often cancelled and rebooked multiple times because better (cheaper)fares and/or better timing for plane changes cropped up. And the beauty of the EZAir program is that online it's online and I can do it all myself on my laptop while sitting on my couch! And I don't have to pay up front for the air tickets. It just gets added into my final payment.

I would imagine that other cruise lines have something similar, and IMO it's worth you time to check it out.

We almost always fly multi-city - fare is roughly commensurate with r/t. We also like to book cruises that begin in one port and end in another - this affords us the opportunity to explore one area pre cruise and another area post cruise.