Gala Night Attire

ScottC4746

I know another Gala Night thread that is going to blow up into a debate.

I want to make sure I read this correctly?  I just made DH buy a dark suit for gala nights and now I see on the boards we will be fine basically in Business Casual every night?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

I want to make sure I read this correctly?  I just made DH buy a dark suit for gala nights and now I see on the boards we will be fine basically in Business Casual every night?

On gala nights I wear a dress shirt with no tie and boat shoes along with a pair of Dockers. I used to wear a tie until I saw others that didn't, so I stopped. My DW wears whatever she likes, which is usually a comfortable dress with a sweater.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

As long as your DH is wearing a collared shirt and nice pair of pants he meets the minimum required standard for Gala night.  That, being said, a number will wear a sportsjacket or a suit (with or without tie) - how many depends on the demographics on board, the itinerary and length of cruise IME.

• Like 1

The days of the majority of the people being dressed to the nines are gone.

Your DH will be fine with a collared shirt and dockers.  But now that he has bought a suit, why not take it with you?  He will see others wearing suits -- some with ties -- some without ties.

Agree with the above. Guys wore everything from khakis with short sleeve, collared shirt to a full-on tux. I wore slacks and a long sleeved business shirt with loafers. I felt very comfortable (not the worst dressed and not the best dressed; also nothing tight around my neck). The ladies (of course) looked better and wore everything from capris and a blouse to formal gowns. Our pair of ladies wore a sundress and a pair of black dressy slacks and a colorful blouse. They both looked very attractive (and in the middle as far as dressiness). And shoes. Lord -- how many pairs of shoes did she bring on a week long cruise??? 😀

I kept my mouth (mostly) shut. Happy wife, happy life.

• Like 1

people do whatever they want - seriously -  some of us enjoy dressing up a bit - actually look forward to it 

some don't give a hoot about the concept or rules - and do what ever they want

this post will definitely blow up -   

5 hours ago, kazu said:

As long as your DH is wearing a collared shirt and nice pair of pants he meets the minimum required standard for Gala night.  That, being said, a number will wear a sportsjacket or a suit (with or without tie) - how many depends on the demographics on board, the itinerary and length of cruise IME.

That has been my experience as well. On my Caribbean cruise this winter, I'd estimate 40-50 percent of men I could see in the MDR wore jackets. Probably a lot of those had skipped the ties, but I can't give a number. (I didn't go around and count) From what I could see, women were dressier than men, especially one group of ladies who showed up in gorgeous beaded dresses.  DH always wore a jacket and tie for Gala nights. He felt that a jacket "deserved" a tie. Plus he had a great collection of bright ties and love to show them off.  

We continue to wear a floor length gown and three piece suit. We love to dress up. If you made him buy a suit because you thought it was sexy, you should ask him to wear it anyway. If you were just trying to meet the requirements of gala nights it's okay to tone it down. My son is so excited about gala night he's considering going full on Billy Porter . 

gettyimages-1131875246-h_2019.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckishpixie said:

We continue to wear a floor length gown and three piece suit. We love to dress up. If you made him buy a suit because you thought it was sexy, you should ask him to wear it anyway. If you were just trying to meet the requirements of gala nights it's okay to tone it down. My son is so excited about gala night he's considering going full on Billy Porter . 

gettyimages-1131875246-h_2019.jpg

Rethink that skirt. It's too difficult to pack, and velvet tends to crush. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

yikes! will i look out of place in my "best" jeans, & maybe one of those not-too-tacky "hawaiian" shirts!

The jeans thing is hotly debated here. I see lots of hawaiin shirts on all nights in the MDR. I think currently Jean's are not allowed in the MDR on gala nights, but khakis are for sure. I dont personally think what you wear impacts my fun and I hope the reverse is true. I think if anything my husband and I dressed to the nines stands out more than khakis and hawaiin shirts so dont worry. You should wear what makes you smile. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

yes

10 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

The days of the majority of the people being dressed to the nines are gone.

Your DH will be fine with a collared shirt and dockers.  But now that he has bought a suit, why not take it with you?  He will see others wearing suits -- some with ties -- some without ties.

Simply stated  dress how you would like other to perceive you....  Despite what others say others, will judge you whether they say so or not.  It is basic human nature to compare to others   Even animals  do it.    You do it every day of your life, with people you meet... Forget the PC world     this is reality.

28 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

BTW...We're on a 7 night caribbean cruise on Statendam next week.

which night(s)'ll be gala?

Have you checked the voyage personalizer? That might show the gala nights. (I don't remember for sure)

Will there be any sea days? Gala nights tend to be on sea days (except never the last night). Next choice seems to be ports where the ship leaves early in the day, like Half Moon Cay.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

For what it's worth:

My husband and I like to dress up on cruises, but we never went full-out tux or dinner jacket, even back in the day when it was "required," nor have I ever worn an evening gown. It's always been a dark suit for my husband and a cocktail dress for me, except when I wore a full-length summer dress (definitely not a "gown.") We always looked dressy and appropriate.

My husband  packed that same dark suit for our recent 14 night Oosterdam Caribbean cruise, intending to wear it for gala nights and for our anniversary dinner. But in the end, he never wore it. He always looked fine to me and very put-together in his sport coat and dress shirt, adding a tie to make it "gala."  We looked as good or better than pretty much everyone onboard; no one, not even those dressed truly in "formal" attire, ever gave us the stink eye!

So I would suggest asking your husband how much he wants to bother with the suit on the cruise. Also, will he wear it anywhere else?   I would consider whether you could return it and use the money you paid for the suit on something else!

I will say, if we had had to pay to check bags, we would have left the suit (and a whole lot of other stuff we brought) at home!

21 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Seriously, ScottC4746, let your DH do what he wants.  Mine used to wear a tuxedo, then bought a black suit specifically for cruises, and he LIKES wearing it.  I'm usually the one who says, "Oh, screw it, nobody is dressed up; just wear the slacks and dress shirt."  But he likes to make the evening a little more "special" and so he happily puts on the suit and I follow his lead with a cocktail dress.   If your DH thinks it's a pain in the a-- to wear the suit, he doesn't need to!  Clean, pressed and a collar seems to be the look in the MDR these days, and that's okay.   

In short....you know your DH.  Let him enjoy his cruise.  No matter what, the suit will come in handy sometime.

Edited by AncientWanderer

OP, I'm curious how this new topic covers any ground that wasn't already covered in your recent post on this same question in which you received a great deal of advice and a link to the actual HAL dress code? Are you just stirring the pot?

• Like 2