Celebrity Charters Bumped Me Again

TxKroozer

5 minutes ago, warmwinds said:

Question...if X cancels you out of a cruise, will they also refund any non-refundable airline tickets you booked in good faith, and will they do all this...and this is key...without you having to pay for the insurance premium?

A statement within the notice of cancellation letter they agree to reimburse for up to $150 in airline fees domestic and $200 international. So unless your tickets are refundable you may not be wholly covered.

53 minutes ago, ken_ll said:

In the same boat with the Jan 9 Infinity.  On Summit now and had brought it up to Future Cruise staff 2 days ago that no communication from Celebrity.  Yesterday received phone call at home, seems that there are 2 replacement cruises in Jan and 2 more in April.  My problem is that we are also on Jan 13 Infinity.  Deal with it when we get home.

Our easiest resolution would have been to shift sail dates as well but Celebrity has previously set up so many Charters for the Infinity there weren’t three consecutive cruises to shift too. You may find two.  We now question even opting for two consecutive Infinity cruises this far out as they are still likely to cancel one of them for another Charter.

Yikes!  We booked the Infinity 5 day on 2/29 and it looks like it's one of the few that isn't chartered in January and February (so far!).  Is there a certain point at which they will no longer book charters, or a way to find out how fully booked the ship is already?  The Celebrity website shows many categories sold out, but I know some TAs still have availability for those types.  

I've been looking around for a comparable cruise and everything else is so much more expensive than what we booked.

Good luck, OP!  You are obviously a far more seasoned cruiser than I am.

36 minutes ago, TxKroozer said:

A statement within the notice of cancellation letter they agree to reimburse for up to $150 in airline fees domestic and $200 international. So unless your tickets are refundable you may not be wholly covered.

I think that should cover us (we booked on points and I believe the reinstatement fee is either 125 or 150 (thinking, of course, that this would be a worst case scenario and they charter the Dec. 30 one, also).

1 hour ago, TxKroozer said:

I do appreciate your perspective, however if you open your eyes a bit to understand the impetus for booking a cruise is based upon an “offer” the cruise line makes. Once you book you are locking in a contract to pay. Yes the cruise line can cancel the cruise but not your individual contract. You can if abiding by their rules cancel your cruise but nowadays not without harm as most good deals came with non refundable deposits. It’s a win win for them not the consumer.

IF you had a non refundable deposit, then I see the point entirely.  You had skin in the game so to say.  I think you deserve more than just a "here's a refund, thanks for your time." 

Edited by PTC DAWG

4 hours ago, TxKroozer said:

Thank You for your post. I decided to forgo waiting on my Travel Agent to resolve and took actions on my own contacting the Celebrity Reaccomodation Dept myself. I feel my Travel Agent is doing the same but I wanted them to hear direct from me. The person I spoke with listened well, heard my suggestions for an equitable resolution and what my limits were and agreed to reach out to their Revenue Dept. it would appear Revenue might be making decisions based on numbers and not emotions and is not factoring the loss or gain in goodwill an equitable but not according to rules would be. Still awaiting the results of Revenue Dept.

i am not sure Celebrity is taking into consideration the cost of losing or replacing a Loyal customer.

Please be sure and update us with the final outcome please.

12 hours ago, warmwinds said:

Question...if X cancels you out of a cruise, will they also refund any non-refundable airline tickets you booked in good faith, and will they do all this...and this is key...without you having to pay for the insurance premium?

Probably if you booked with Celebrity Air.  Otherwise they will generally refund change fees up to $200 pp.

16 hours ago, TxKroozer said:

Thank You for your post. I decided to forgo waiting on my Travel Agent to resolve and took actions on my own contacting the Celebrity Reaccomodation Dept myself. I feel my Travel Agent is doing the same but I wanted them to hear direct from me. The person I spoke with listened well, heard my suggestions for an equitable resolution and what my limits were and agreed to reach out to their Revenue Dept. it would appear Revenue might be making decisions based on numbers and not emotions and is not factoring the loss or gain in goodwill an equitable but not according to rules would be. Still awaiting the results of Revenue Dept.

i am not sure Celebrity is taking into consideration the cost of losing or replacing a Loyal customer.

I know you had an OV cabin booked as a B2B2B for a total of 14 days.

Which replacement cruises did you propose to Celebrity?

I hope it it resolved for you.

3 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I know you had an OV cabin booked as a B2B2B for a total of 14 days.

Which replacement cruises did you propose to Celebrity?

I hope it it resolved for you.

Celebrity has agreed to switch us to Equinox for B2B in January. Awaiting final details to be worked out with Travel Agent. More details later.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TxKroozer said:

Celebrity has agreed to switch us to Equinox for B2B in January. Awaiting final details to be worked out with Travel Agent. More details later.

Congrats!  This is a huge upgrade.  We have cruised on the Infinity four times, the latest being in December.  Some of the rooms are in very poor shape.  This was my same experience on the Summit just two months prior.   I have chosen not to cruise on an M class until after Revolution.  Looking forward to my upcoming cruise on the Summit in June post revolution.

Glad it seems to be working out.keep us posted.

Wonder why they could not just do this earlier...instead  of having you go through so many steps ..Never knew about a "reaccomodation dept..." How did you find them?

8 minutes ago, hcat said:

Glad it seems to be working out.keep us posted.

Wonder why they could not just do this earlier...instead  of having you go through so many steps ..Never knew about a "reaccomodation dept..." How did you find them?

Referred by a captains Club.

On 4/2/2019 at 7:54 AM, TxKroozer said:

I hope the resolutions department can arrive at a reasonable solution for you.  I just love Celebrity once I am onboard ... above all other cruise lines ... but sometimes their customer service on the front end can use some work.  I've found some of the reps I've spoken with are completely feckless, while others have bent over backwards to accommodate us.  But, that is probably the same with any company out there.  I swear that it is sometimes a full time job just trying to get through to the right person that makes things fair and equitable for their customers.  

Update:  I just saw that they came through for you ... so glad to hear the good news.  I have a fondness for the Infinity but absolutely love the Equinox!!  

Edited by Cruise Raider

Just of note for those that are asking about air cancellation fees.  When Celebrity charters their ships, the process usually started at least a year in advance.  Somehow, some way, the others on our roll calls seemed to have known what's up months before Celebrity announced their decision to cancel or change our cruises.   There are even a couple of websites that list some charters.  Plus, if you see an otherwise half booked cruise that suddenly shows as sold out about a year ahead of time, this might also be an indication that a cruiseline might be entering contract negotiations with the group that is chartering the ship.  They won't announce anything until that contract is signed, sealed and delivered, so as not to dissuade passengers that are booked from canceling.  

Anyway, back to my point about airfare cancellation fees being refunded ... Celebrity almost always, as a rule, tries to announce their charters and subsequent cancellations prior based on the domestic (US) airline schedule release.  This prevents them from paying out those cancellation/change fees for their booked passengers.  

Of note, just for some perspective, I was booked on an NCL sailing up to Alaska last year.  They called to tell me they were redeploying the ship to Cuba.  The incredible deal they were offering ... and mind you, nothing else ... $25 onboard credit!  Whoa ... what would I do with all that cash?  hahaha!!   

On 4/1/2019 at 9:43 PM, SeaHunt said:

ITA they really should have a better resolution policy for cruisers who plan ahead. :classic_sad: 

Here's wishing you some luck to get them to offer something comparable :classic_smile:

Looking at January/February 2020 I found this partial list of full ship charters on different lines:

January 2020
Mon 6

RCI Navigator of the Seas

4 Night Friendship Cruise

Tue 7

RCI Independence of the Seas

4 Night 70000 Tons Of Metal Cruise

Tue 7

MSC Divina

5 Night Jam Cruise 18

Thu 9

Celebrity Infinity
4 Night Groove Cruise Miami

Thu 16

8 Night The SuperCruise XIII

Sat 18

Celebrity Infinity

7 Night The Smooth Jazz Cruise 2020 Sailing 1

Mon 20

RCI Brilliance of the Seas

5 Night Singing At Sea

Mon 20

Norwegian Pearl

4 Night Chris Jericho Rock N Wrestling Rager at Sea

Wed 22

HAL ms Veendam 
7 Night Olivia Cuba And Caribbean Cruise

Sat 25

Celebrity Infinity

7 Night Blue Note At Sea

Sat 25

HAL ms Nieuw Amsterdam

7 Night The Country Music Cruise

Wed 29

5 Night KLOVE Cruise

February 2020
Sat 1

Celebrity Infinity

7 Night The Jazz Cruise

Sun 9

RCI Allure of the Seas

7 Night Love Like You Mean It Cruise

Mon 10

Celebrity Infinity

5 Night Ultimate Disco Cruise

Thu 13

RCI Brilliance of the Seas

5 Night Temptation Cruise

Fri 14

Norwegian Pearl

4 Night Train Sail Across The Sun

Sat 22

HAL ms Oosterdam

7 Night All Star Irish Cruise

Sun 23 
Carnival Legend

7 Night Big Nude Boat

Thu 27

4 Night Rock Legends Cruise VIII

The only times we have sailed on NCL ships were charters by Sixth Man (music promoters out of Atlanta). They organized at least the 2 NCL cruises above and have been doing these charters for well over 10 years.  I don’t know how far in advance they coordinate with NCL, but it seems like something that has to be done BEFORE NCL releases bookings to the general public/travel agents. If NCL cancelled already booked cruisers for all Sixthman’s charters, no one would ever sail NCL!  Especially if they only offer $25 onboard credit to those who get cancelled!  Glad it was resolved to your satisfaction, but Celebrity needs to factor customer loyalty into the equation when chartering a ship that is already partially booked.

Edited by Water babies
Update

On 4/2/2019 at 5:54 PM, TxKroozer said:

I do appreciate your perspective, however if you open your eyes a bit to understand the impetus for booking a cruise is based upon an “offer” the cruise line makes. Once you book you are locking in a contract to pay. Yes the cruise line can cancel the cruise but not your individual contract. You can if abiding by their rules cancel your cruise but nowadays not without harm as most good deals came with non refundable deposits. It’s a win win for them not the consumer.

On 4/2/2019 at 5:48 PM, warmwinds said:

We have booked 14/06/2020 they are not showing this cruise on their website. I contacted Celebrity they informed me it was fully booked ! After speaking to someone else they informed me it was to do with financial pricing and work in progress. They did not know when it will be back on for sale. It is worrying me as potentially I could lose a deal elsewhere.

This is a little off topic, but I am curious why you would book a B2B2B for a total of 14 days? My point being that if you outright searched out a 14 night cruise, you would surely be going to much further and interesting destinations. Like, a Panama Canal sailing or maybe a wide Southern Caribbean sailing that hits up some great destinations unobtainable from a short cruise point of view. 

I also would love to hear of the final verdict. Thank you.

57 minutes ago, kiminey65 said:

This is a little off topic, but I am curious why you would book a B2B2B for a total of 14 days? My point being that if you outright searched out a 14 night cruise, you would surely be going to much further and interesting destinations. Like, a Panama Canal sailing or maybe a wide Southern Caribbean sailing that hits up some great destinations unobtainable from a short cruise point of view. 

I also would love to hear of the final verdict. Thank you.

We have over 60 cruises under the belt. We have done Panama Canal, TransPacific, Transatlantic, Australia, Southern Caribbean, Eastern, Western, etal. We’ve done Norway, British Isles, Mediterranean and more. We don’t cruise for destination that much anymore. We wanted to see Key West and cruise longer than 5 or 7 days. The price was hard to pass with the Perks they offered.

They agreed to switch me to B2B Equinox but still working out details.

• Like 2

Can't wait to hear what you had/what cabin, perks, price...and what your new accom is...similar cabin?  What perks? Any upcharge in price?

Your details will truly help those of us who someday might be in the same situation.

We are booked on Infinity June 2020 and it has disappeared from the website! Guess it’s going to a charter! Would be nice to have some communication from Celebrity. Please keep me posted on your resolutions as I will keep you all informed on ours!

I contacted Celebrity about our cruise on the 14/06 Infinity they told me the cruise is fully booked that's why it's not listed on their website. (We're travelling from the UK. )

I do find this a little hard to believe, I'll be really disappointed if we get cancelled as we've chosen this particular cruise because of the itinerary and being our 30th Wedding Anniversary whilst on board. We'll see what happens watch this space.

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

I would start to book 10-14 night sailings instead of back2back2back sailings on 4 night'rs...just saying.

True, but show me a 10-14 day cruise offering $1,000 OBC with Drink Package and Prepaid Tips for under $2,500 for two in Oceanview Room