One entree or two?

LB_NJ

I have a question about the MDR.  New to Oceania.

Some cruise lines are starting to charge for a second entrée in the MDR.

Every so often I would like to try a second entrée or possibly get an appetizer size of another entrée on the menu, or more than one appetizer.

What is Oceania's policy on this in the MDR?

No charge.  Even in Specialty restaurants.  You can also specify appetizer portions, if you would prefer,  for some entrees, just ask your waiter!  I have ordered several “appetizer” portions for dinner on  multiple occasions in Toscana on Riviera and Marina. 

4 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I have a question about the MDR.  New to Oceania.

Some cruise lines are starting to charge for a second entrée in the MDR.

Every so often I would like to try a second entrée or possibly get an appetizer size of another entrée on the menu, or more than one appetizer.

What is Oceania's policy on this in the MDR?

NOT a mass market line. Order whatever you want (and do eat it!). Never an extra charge.

DH has always been prone to ordering extra courses.  Sometimes he asks for two mains, but often (these days) he will ask for appetizer sized portions.  When he was younger he was known as "Garbage Pail Mager", which is pretty good for a small guy.  On business dinners the others used to place bets about how much he would eat.

These days he eats less, but he likes the variety of different courses.

Another option if you want to try a lot is to order several appetizers rather than a main course.  Since Oceania doesn't charge to dine in the MDR, Terrace, or the specialties, you really are free to order as much as you can consume.

Mura

7 minutes ago, Mura said:

DH has always been prone to ordering extra courses.  Sometimes he asks for two mains, but often (these days) he will ask for appetizer sized portions.  When he was younger he was known as "Garbage Pail Mager", which is pretty good for a small guy.  On business dinners the others used to place bets about how much he would eat.

These days he eats less, but he likes the variety of different courses.

Another option if you want to try a lot is to order several appetizers rather than a main course.  Since Oceania doesn't charge to dine in the MDR, Terrace, or the specialties, you really are free to order as much as you can consume.

Mura

Once and for all, it is the GRAND Dining Room (GDR).

• Thanks 1

Yes, I DO know, Flatbush!!  My fingers "mis-spoke".  But it may be understandable since so many passengers use MDR rather than GDR.

I think that 90% of the time at least I use the proper term ... But whether one says MDR or GDR, I think we all know what we mean.

I understand where you are coming from, though.  I get so irritated when people refer to "Terraces" rather than "Terrace"!

Mura

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Mura said:

I get so irritated when people refer to "Terraces" rather than "Terrace"!

As long as we are picking a nit, isn't it more properly "The Terrace Café" ?  

Informal and carefree, the Terrace Café is wonderfully inviting any time of day--feel free to dine inside or alfresco at one of the shaded teak tables on the terrace. First thing in the morning, enjoy sumptuous breakfast selections. Come lunch, the expansive menu of international-inspired dishes changes entirely, beautifully complemented by flavorful roasted and rotisserie meats and the magic of the pizzeria’s oven. Feel free to dine inside or alfresco at one of the shaded teak tables on the terrace. Evenings, the impeccably clad wait staff shines, and the cuisine takes on a more sophisticated flair. Lobster tails and lamb chops are prepared to order, and freshly made hand-cut sushi and sashimi await your selection. Tomorrow, an entirely different series of menus awaits the opportunity to delight you.

Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. No reservations required.

Double order of lamb chops for breakfast in the Grand, Grand Dining Room. (That's for you, Mura.):classic_smile: Double order of shrimp cocktail at lunch. Or double order of surf and turf sandwich, no bun, at Waves Grill. Double order of Scallop Trilogy in Red Ginger. Double order of Macallan before bed. (Well, maybe a double double.)

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

16 hours ago, aquidneck1 said:

They are extremely accommodating.  My husband did this multiple times in February.  They also would bring a dish for the center of the table so that we could taste it. 

++2  we've noticed that too

1 hour ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Double order of lamb chops for breakfast in the Grand, Grand Dining Room. (That's for you, Mura.):classic_smile: Double order of shrimp cocktail at lunch. Or double order of surf and turf sandwich, no bun, at Waves Grill. Double order of Scallop Trilogy in Red Ginger. Double order of Macallan before bed. (Well, maybe a double double.)

Double the size at the end of the cruise  🙂

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Oceania will accommodate just about any reasonable request.  My personal opinion on this matter - order as much as you wish as long as you do not waste food.

From our late 2018 sailing on the Nautica, as detailed below from Athens to Dubai, the above post and others on this thread are accurate about the flexibility to "double order" in certain cases to fit your personal, desires and tasting wishes.  Worked well for us in the Grand Dining Room, speciality dining locations, etc.  First sailing with Oceania!  Worked well!!  But, the challenge/bad news is that because the food is so good, you have to watch out for your clothes shrinking!!  It happens, especially around and with your belt size!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For my latest live/blog, see “the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East with our first sailing with Oceania.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

Double the size at the end of the cruise  🙂

As shocking as it may seem, we usually drop a few pounds when we are on a cruise. The extra walking due to shore excursions, stairs and many, many laps around the track and the cabin decks does the trick. ( We also avoid Afternoon Tea and all those tasty-looking treats.)

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
  • Like 1

For folks new to Sirena, there's "good news/bad news/good news" regarding food options.

In order to add the oh-so-popular Red Ginger on Sirena, Polo Grill and Toscana are combined and the menu in the hybrid Tuscan Grill has been combined/condensed with a few of the standard dishes becoming victims of the merge.

However, if you've got a favorite from the traditional menus on the other R ships, you can request them with some advanced notice to the chef or maitre'd. 

1 hour ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

As shocking as it may seem, we usually drop a few pounds when we are on a cruise. The extra walking due to shore excursions, stairs and many, many laps around the track and the cabin decks does the trick. ( We also avoid Afternoon Tea and all those tasty-looking treats.)

Agreed. The quality of the food is high and tends to be less fried. I stay away from most of the carbs and have yet to gain weight on Oceania and I eat a lot. Watch out for tea in Horizons, all bets are off if attending more than one a cruise!

11 minutes ago, NorthCoastCruisers said:

New to Oceania and have been wondering about how meals are served at Red Ginger.  I am used to family style so we taste several items.  Do they do this, will be on Marina in May.

Items in all restaurants except for the Terrace Cafe, are served in individual portions.   I would order items, and ask for an extra plate for each of you, so you can sample each.   If you are sharing a table with others, note, their entrees are theirs only, unless you have agreed ahead of time to share.   

Edited by Cruseforme

We often share dishes, but dishes are usually brought to each individual. It’s a fine upscale sit down dinner. Not family style! Sometimes after bringing an order, we’ll ask the waiter to “split a dish for both of us. I’ll take half her fish and she’ll take part of my steak. They’ll normally facilitate that, however they would prefer for you to order whatever you like and they’ll bring it to you.

The GDR occasionally has new menu items and fresh selections, whereas the Specialties only rarely have daily specials. Same menu for years. Therefore most of the seasoned O cruisers have had most everything on the menu before. So not as much sharing of food there. If you want something then just order a small portion of it. Skip the hassles of plate passing.

Edited by pinotlover

A few years ago our TA hosted six of her clients for dinner at Red Ginger.  (Actually I believe she did this on three separate evenings.)  She pre-ordered the meal and it was served family style.

Depending on whether you are dining alone or with a group.  If a group, I think it could be a good idea to talk to the maitre d' ahead of time.  If it's just you two, it should be easy enough to trade plates ... my husband and I have done that for many years.

Mura

While I see nothing wrong with ordering an extra item, if sharing a table please be considerate of table mates.  

We had a shared table in Toscana once and the other couple showed up 15 minutes late.  We had already ordered by then. They proceeded to go over the menu in great detail and then ordered 5 starters plus a main each.  We were told that we had to wait until they were having their main until our main would be served.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Waynetor said:

While I see nothing wrong with ordering an extra item, if sharing a table please be considerate of table mates.  

We had a shared table in Toscana once and the other couple showed up 15 minutes late.  We had already ordered by then. They proceeded to go over the menu in great detail and then ordered 5 starters plus a main each.  We were told that we had to wait until they were having their main until our main would be served.

That is why, along with some other reasons, we eat by ourselves or with friends we know. 🙂. We prefer meeting people at social events rather than meals.

YMMV.

• Like 4