The Royal Caribbean "Security Photo" Conundrum

Here we go again with the check-in process and the PITA "security photo" deal where we have to upload a "specifically formatted 960x960" photo of ourselves. I've tried scanning or re-taking our original passport photos with no success. Is there any advice to offer on this or should we just wait until actual check in and let them take the darn pics themselves? They seriously could make this process easier.

I just went through this last night. What my husband and I did is found a room in our house that happen to have off white walls and good lighting. He took a picture of me and I took a picture of him. I sent them to my email, saved to my computer and then uploaded them to the check in process. We just made sure to stand back a little bit when taking the pictures so that when you upload at least your shoulders and full head and face are in the picture. We had no issues doing this before or this time either. If you need anymore help with it give me a shout. 

10 minutes ago, aimcat said:

I just went through this last night. What my husband and I did is found a room in our house that happen to have off white walls and good lighting. He took a picture of me and I took a picture of him. I sent them to my email, saved to my computer and then uploaded them to the check in process. We just made sure to stand back a little bit when taking the pictures so that when you upload at least your shoulders and full head and face are in the picture. We had no issues doing this before or this time either. If you need anymore help with it give me a shout. 

Ugh, now it's sounding more like they need to have passport photo parameters - no biggy, I'll try it when we book our next cruise, or wait for check-in, but it was nice to just upload pics we had already.

• Like 1

They take almost anything now.    For our  cruise last Feb. wifey and I took a head shot against a yellow wall.  They accepted it.  Friends we sailed with cut and pasted their faces from a party shot, with all kinds of stuff in the background.  They accepted it.  

As as others have said, they’ll take your pic way the port when you get there.  So if you have any trouble just do that. 

Edited by zdad59
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, aimcat said:

Same. Except I took a picture of my spare passport photo (I had 2 done at CVS) under a small light. If you can upload the picture through a computer, that is probably easier.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, resjes said:

Same. Except I took a picture of my spare passport photo (I had 2 done at CVS) under a small light. If you can upload the picture through a computer, that is probably easier.

This is what I did for my son's photo since he's away at college and I guess didn't want to send mom a selfie 🙂

1 hour ago, aimcat said:

Sounds like a plan for those of us who wanted to knock out the whole process. We might just let them take our pics at the port because, regardless, they'll still want to do it all over again anyway.

1 hour ago, ShillyShally said:

Ugh, now it's sounding more like they need to have passport photo parameters - no biggy, I'll try it when we book our next cruise, or wait for check-in, but it was nice to just upload pics we had already.

Yeah, it used to be so easy. Now, they're getting stupid.

1 minute ago, johnjen said:

Yeah, it used to be so easy. Now, they're getting stupid.

And it isn't like the photo that pops up on their terminals getting on/off the ship or shopping look that close to you even if you uploaded a crystal clear passport worthy photo.  I do understand the pixel requirement and perhaps light background but if it's a clear photo that can easily identify someone, at least have it as a placeholder until they retake at port (as it may be easier to have some photo for those departure ports with facial recognition).

53 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Someone needs to create a perfectly formatted photo of the president of RC, post it here, and then we can all use that photo to get past the check-in issue.

Close enough?

image.jpeg.3ce23f201947a8fc59fe2abcbd12a05c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We did this recently for our May cruise.  We took pictures of each other against a white door.  I cropped them on the computer, and they turned out too big for the boarding pics.  So,  I just took the originals and centered them into the little circles they have when you upload them from the computer onto their form.  It was accepted and very easy.  In other words, they size the pics for you.  It was easy to do with pictures through the computer.  The last time we did this we were in Barcelona for the Harmony and they just scanned our Set Sail passes and basically waved us onto the ship.  Hoping it will be that smooth in Vancouver on the Ovation.

7 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Thanks, I'll save a link to that photo.

Use this one instead - the last one was not the right size.

I have confirmed that this will work - I used it for my Ovation sailing check in photo for next month.

Michael-Bayley-on-Anthem5.jpg

• Like 1