WOW! Izumi $62.50 pp before discount

We are TA on the Jewel now. Bought the 5 night package at $105/ person before we left.  We have eaten at Chops and Giovani’s as well as Izumi’s twice on this trip. All were good. This was our first with Izumi’s and have really, really liked it. This ship does not have habatchis but “hot rocks” that seem to be about 1000 degrees. We do not like sushi but have gotten the steak and mixed seafood. Cooking it yourself is fun and done to our taste.  Also, the side dishes like the soup and shrimp spring rolls are excellent. 

They give you $35 credit per person, so $70 for each meal. Our ordering has only gotten us up to $56 and $61 so far. So, nothing above the allowance, and great food for the $21/ person package price. 

On this cruise also, they have trouble filling all the specialty places. We are the only ones in Izumi at 5:30 and they all applaud when we arrive. They also delivered a smaller take out/ delivered menu to our room yesterday. So, they are doing whatever it takes.  They also have a “buy Chops and get Izumi or Giovanis free” promotion. 

At the right price, it is a very good deal/ experience. 

Edited by pretzlaff
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Well, anyone using specialty restaurants is well aware there is food available in MDR.  They aren't "ignoring that fact", just choosing better food in a better atmosphere because they can afford it.  If it was just about money I guess at home we'd all go to Applebee's and not enjoy a nicer meal at a local restaurant either........

We used to do dinner at MDR almost every night. but haven't for 5 years and probably never will again.  Got burned out on the routine, atmosphere and mediocre food.  Now we buy 3 night specialty packages when on sale and do Windjammer most other nights. 

We mix it up with MTD if menu is good, WJ on occasion,  and at least one speciality.

12 hours ago, Paulette3028 said:

We do Izumi on sailings and do the 'a la carte sushi' ordering and it NEVER gets anywhere close to that.  

We will be on the Aug 29th Anthem sailing.....are you considering it?

This, we did Izumi a la carte and paid $6pp for amazing veggie sushi not on the menu, the chefs got super creative and had fun doing it, we also had the beverage package and ordered a few drinks with our meal and our bill was $12 each night (we went twice).  We loved it!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Especially when you've already paid for a meal in the MDR.  So many people seem to ignore that fact when considering the price of a specialty restaurant.

We don't ignore it, we just don't have a ton of options in the MDR, though this is changing!  We also don't always want the length of the meal in the MDR, and options get redundant in the WJ.  Last cruise was our first time trying Izumi and as long as we can get a la carte and go off menu, we'll include it in our cruise budget, it was a fun intimate evening one night and another night we had a blast coming back with my son and his GF for another round. 

Keep in mind, there are two kinds of Izumi dining.  

There is sushi, and there is hibachi.  

The $50 option should be the hibachi version, which is where they do "dinner and a show" -- a dozen people seated around a grill with a chef juggling utensils and tossing food around.  

While it's entertaining and the food was delicious on Symphony last month, there is no way I would pay to do it myself (someone else invited me on their dime).  

1 minute ago, brillohead said:

Keep in mind, there are two kinds of Izumi dining.  

There is sushi, and there is hibachi.  

The $50 option should be the hibachi version, which is where they do "dinner and a show" -- a dozen people seated around a grill with a chef juggling utensils and tossing food around.  

While it's entertaining and the food was delicious on Symphony last month, there is no way I would pay to do it myself (someone else invited me on their dime).  

$50 generally gets you filet and lobster. At most it's $20 more than a cheap land based Hibachi.

I can put up with that.

What I do miss is the fire tricks like the onion volcano.

15 hours ago, nelblu said:

Looking at the cruise planner for Anthem Aug. 29 sail and Izumi is $49.99 pp inclusive of a 20% discount.  Crazy, I can get a better meal at my local Japanese Hibachi restaurant.

Agree, I would love to try Izumi as I love Japanese Hibachi but those prices are ridiculous.  Not that I can't afford it, I just think it's plain greed to charge that much onboard.  I'll stick to my local Hibachi.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

$50 generally gets you filet and lobster. At most it's $20 more than a cheap land based Hibachi.

I can put up with that.

I'm a cheapskate, plus I get plenty fat off the MDR options.  

If I had unlimited funds, I might do it, but it's just not a priority for me personally.  I'd much rather spend $50 doing a 4-hour snorkeling trip than a 2-hour meal when I already had a "free" meal opportunity that was perfectly fine.  

But for someone who is more of a foodie (or someone with unlimited funds or someone who doesn't like to snorkel or whatever), their priorities are different and they'd rather spend the money on the meal.

That's what is so great about cruising -- you can do what you like, others can do what they like, and everyone can be happy!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Agree, I would love to try Izumi as I love Japanese Hibachi but those prices are ridiculous.  Not that I can't afford it, I just think it's plain greed to charge that much onboard.  I'll stick to my local Hibachi.

If it were a unique experience, then it might be worth it.  We have several options for very nice Japanese hibachi only a few minutes from home.  They all cost much less than Izumi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

This, we did Izumi a la carte and paid $6pp for amazing veggie sushi not on the menu, the chefs got super creative and had fun doing it, we also had the beverage package and ordered a few drinks with our meal and our bill was $12 each night (we went twice).  We loved it!

Glad you enjoyed Izumi....and the a la carte sushi is how we do it.  We generally don't do the other specialty restaurants, unless it is gifted to us by our TA (which happens) simply because most of those type of meals we can get in the MDR and it came with the cost of the cruise.  Izumi type food isn't on the MDR menu and we do Japanese food twice a month at least at home (we very much enjoy sushi).  

We have spent as little as $35 dollars for both of us or as much as $50....it doesn't blow our vacation budget in any way.  I understand that the Hibachi menu on ships that have it is done differently.  For those that want/like it....it is what it is.

I love Izumi Hibachi.  I go 1-2 times every cruise.  I think it is well worth the money as you do get a lot of food.  Also, last cruise I got a cyber Monday deal for the UDP for $152 pp.  We were able to go to Izumi Hibachi the first night when it is usually not included because most people don't go the first night.  This is a great way to get Izumi for cheaper.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

My local Hibachi. It's simple, we go a couple times a year. I have more 'fun' on Oasis. 

Screenshot_20190410-102156_Chrome.jpg

9 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

Glad you enjoyed Izumi....and the a la carte sushi is how we do it.  We generally don't do the other specialty restaurants, unless it is gifted to us by our TA (which happens) simply because most of those type of meals we can get in the MDR and it came with the cost of the cruise.  Izumi type food isn't on the MDR menu and we do Japanese food twice a month at least at home (we very much enjoy sushi).  

We have spent as little as $35 dollars for both of us or as much as $50....it doesn't blow our vacation budget in any way.  I understand that the Hibachi menu on ships that have it is done differently.  For those that want/like it....it is what it is.

We've found we rarely go at home since we tend to cook a lot at home but really enjoy finding sushi on vacation and have had great luck on cruises and at island resorts with sushi chefs happy to surprise us with veggie sushi 🙂

I also jokingly say my ability to use chopsticks only happens when traveling, if I attempt them at home forget it 🙂

11 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

We've found we rarely go at home since we tend to cook a lot at home but really enjoy finding sushi on vacation and have had great luck on cruises and at island resorts with sushi chefs happy to surprise us with veggie sushi 🙂

I also jokingly say my ability to use chopsticks only happens when traveling, if I attempt them at home forget it 🙂

We learned how to use chopsticks many years ago when a Japanese restaurant opened in our town in NJ.  When we went for the first time, the owner said to us ...in Japanese restaurant you eat with chopsticks....so we learned how.  He was a GREAT host and treated us well....and we have never regretted going in that first time.  We love the food. As with anything, some restaurants are better than others, and some places treat you better than others....on ships we have always been treated well and if we need some special accommodation, get it. 

Back in November on Mariner, we were with friends who wanted Hibachi while we only wanted sushi, and they sat all of us at the Hibachi table knowing that we were just going to be ordering sushi.....we all had a great time.  As it turned out, visiting the ship was the President of the Izumi corporation and he was having dinner at the restaurant that night with the officers....since we knew the Loyalty Ambassador already and she was at the table as well,  we had some lovely 'cross table conversations'.....you never know who you will come across.

Edited by Paulette3028

24 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

We learned how to use chopsticks many years ago when a Japanese restaurant opened in our town in NJ.  When we went for the first time, the owner said to us ...in Japanese restaurant you eat with chopsticks....so we learned how.  He was a GREAT host and treated us well....and we have never regretted going in that first time.  We love the food. As with anything, some restaurants are better than others, and some places treat you better than others....on ships we have always been treated well and if we need some special accommodation, get it. 

Back in November on Mariner, we were with friends who wanted Hibachi while we only wanted sushi, and they sat all of us at the Hibachi table knowing that we were just going to be ordering sushi.....we all had a great time.  As it turned out, visiting the ship was the President of the Izumi corporation and he was having dinner at the restaurant that night with the officers....since we knew the Loyalty Ambassador already and she was at the table as well,  we had some lovely 'cross table conversations'.....you never know who you will come across.

What fun!  We had sushi the first night next to some of the entertainment staff with family visiting, and heard rounds of laughter and fun from the hibachi stations.  We were absolutely spoiled and stuffed!  This was our plate the second night we went - this was my husband's and mine.  Son and GF devoured a plate just like it!  Husband and son also loved their sriracha and sake mixed drink!IMG_8188.thumb.jpg.1f59b772599ce95107b16ff88325bdee.jpg

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

That would be the way to go if you planned on eating in 3 restaurant. I'm not sure how much $35 buys you at Izumi.

I know at my local restaurant (Fuji Steakhouse) for $22 per ex grats. I get Miso Soup, Salad, 3 Shrimp Appet., Sea Scallops with brown rice, vegetables and topped off with Ice Cream.

15 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

The speciality restaurants have gotten high.

A few cruises ago we were able to get a FNDR (First night done right) for $20 pp that we transferred to 150 Central Park. That turned out to be a better deal than the C&A BOGO benefit. 

Was the FNDR offered prior to the sailing or was it offered after you boarded?

2 hours ago, voyager70 said:

I'll stick to my local Hibachi.

Yep, my local place is 15.95 for filet and shrimp hibachi with vegetables. That includes fried rice. For .50 a piece you can add a ginger salad and miso soup. 3 spring rolls is 1.50.  Now keep in mind, its not a "show" place where they are actually cooking it in front of you but its excellent and cheap.  These prices are ludicrous! 

I love sushi but Im doing the keto thing so thats out. I will just avoid Izumi this trip 🙂 

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

We like to do the a la carte for lunch for our sushi fix.  Then we don't miss dinner in the MDR and we are only paying for what we eat.  Other than that we don't do any specialty dining.  We thoroughly enjoy our dinners in the MDR and would hate to miss any.

2 hours ago, ryano said:

Yep, my local place is 15.95 for filet and shrimp hibachi with vegetables. That includes fried rice. For .50 a piece you can add a ginger salad and miso soup. 3 spring rolls is 1.50.  Now keep in mind, its not a "show" place where they are actually cooking it in front of you but its excellent and cheap.  These prices are ludicrous! 

I love sushi but Im doing the keto thing so thats out. I will just avoid Izumi this trip 🙂 

Mine includes cooking in front of you, including the flaming onion volcano, playing with utensils and catching the morsels of Chinese vegetable in your mouth.  The advantage of this specific restaurant, unlike others that require a full table, mine begins a few minutes after the order/drinks orders.

Forgot, noodles are included in the Hibachi dinners.  My grandkids really love the noodles and we request extra instead of rice.

Edited by nelblu

2 hours ago, ryano said:

I do keto and Izumi is one of my faves!  They offer sashimi and quite a few starters that are keto-friendly.  

• Like 1