WOW! Izumi $62.50 pp before discount

I have never dined at Izumi. Mostly because I live in a city where sushi is everywhere and I can have unlimited made to order rolls for $20. 

I can see how the restaurant is appealing to some, but personally I only eat at speciality restaurants where I can get a meal that is, well, “special” to me.

We don’t typically dine at high end steakhouses so Chops is a nice treat. I’d say the same about Giovanni’s.

That being said, the only times we have eaten at speciality restaurants are on 7 night cruises (celebrating a special occasion) where we were fortunate to purchase the 3 night plan for $72pp.

I’m not sure I’d pay anymore than that, especially since the MDR is just fine for us.

To each their own.

On 4/11/2019 at 11:49 AM, gilboman said:

because the food is so terrible in the free venues (dining room and buffet), there's lots more demand for paid restaurants and limited capacity so to control excess demand, they raise the price.

I'm pretty sure this is why the food is so terrible in the free venues now especially on the oasis class ships , to herd people into paid venues and jack up the price

Really? Every time I’ve eaten at a specialty restaurant on an Oasis class ship, they are practically empty. One of our favorite meals was at CP 150 and we were literally the only table in the entire restaurant.

11 hours ago, johnjen said:

One of the two of us loves sushi; the other won't go near it. At THOSE prices, Izumi shouldn't be included in dining packages and they should just add it to Sorrrento's and make it free, because a purser on Anthem told us that Izumi, fleet-wide, is NOT doing well in sales and every time we walked past Izumi's the place was empty every time and even during meal hours.

Hotel Director on Oasis said he'd love a couple more Hibachi tables. 

I will agree that the Adventure Izumi is a ghost town. 

On 4/10/2019 at 4:48 PM, time4u2go said:

Exactly.  Often people will say things like "well, that's what I would have paid for a similar land-based experience".  Of course with that land-based experience, they haven't already paid for dinner at another restaurant, as is the case on a cruise.

All right so just using the math from my recent cheap harmony cruise, 134 a night. How much of that do you attribute to to the cabin? we have a Central Park balcony. 150 a night? 200?So ill take half of it at 75 or 100(bc there is 2 of us). so leaves 58 or 33. !0 for breakfast, 15 for lunch... so leaving 8 or 33 for dinner. Im willing to toss that in order to eat the food I really like. And I'm leaning to the 8 value as the main price of the cruise is the cabin.

On 4/10/2019 at 8:12 PM, Paulette3028 said:

The reason DH and I frequent Izumi on a cruise ship, is we like Japanese food.  If Japanese food was on the MDR menu, we might not do it -- but it isn't.  We eat plenty of food around the ship all day long, that covers what I would consider is the "FOOD $$$ Allotment" from our cruise fare.  It is not as if we are ONLY eating dinner onboard the ship (LOL).

Exactly. I ate plenty of breakfast and lunch and snacks preceding dinner.😁

2 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

All right so just using the math from my recent cheap harmony cruise, 134 a night. How much of that do you attribute to to the cabin? we have a Central Park balcony. 150 a night? 200?So ill take half of it at 75 or 100(bc there is 2 of us). so leaves 58 or 33. !0 for breakfast, 15 for lunch... so leaving 8 or 33 for dinner. Im willing to toss that in order to eat the food I really like. And I'm leaning to the 8 value as the main price of the cruise is the cabin.

$15 for lunch and $8 for dinner?  I wouldn't think that to be the case, but who knows? 

2 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

Exactly. I ate plenty of breakfast and lunch and snacks preceding dinner.😁

The cruise line spends around $15 per day per person for food.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, A2Mich said:

Thats kind of a bummer.  Wife and I were looking forward to going to Izumi for dinner, but the pricing seems rather high.  May still do it for something different and as a break from the kids, but still shocked on the prices.

Break from the kid's at any price is reason enough for me.  Unfortunately my kids are at the age were they need a break from us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, time4u2go said:

$15 for lunch and $8 for dinner?  I wouldn't think that to be the case, but who knows? 

10 for breakfast, 15 for lunch equals 25. 25 from the 33 leaves 8. You can break it up anyway you like. I am placing an arbitrary value for the 2 meals I will eat based on land prices for similar meals. Just a view of how much I am "throwing away". 

It always amuses me that people worry about ""double paying " for dinner. If you sleep through breakfast or lunch, are you throwing away that already paid for meal as well? 

1 hour ago, tinkr2 said:

10 for breakfast, 15 for lunch equals 25. 25 from the 33 leaves 8. You can break it up anyway you like. I am placing an arbitrary value for the 2 meals I will eat based on land prices for similar meals. Just a view of how much I am "throwing away". 

It always amuses me that people worry about ""double paying " for dinner. If you sleep through breakfast or lunch, are you throwing away that already paid for meal as well? 

Yep, I guess so.

14 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Break from the kid's at any price is reason enough for me.  Unfortunately my kids are at the age were they need a break from us.

I’m with you there....maybe the price really is worth it 😉. My kids will be 15, 13, and 6 when we cruise next.  The 6 year old can be with other kids at AO.  Not so sure if the older 2 will...

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Food cost only 

As an owner of restaurants past and present , I am pretty suspicious of your food cost numbers. But its all just a guessing game when it comes to cruise ships.

56 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

As an owner of restaurants past and present , I am pretty suspicious of your food cost numbers. But its all just a guessing game when it comes to cruise ships.

It's fairly well documented and easy to verify from the companies financial statements

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 9:25 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Food cost only 

Thanks.  I had heard that number mentioned before, but I wasn’t positive if they meant product cost alone, or if they were including labor costs as well.  I figured it was product only, though.

On 4/19/2019 at 2:03 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

It's fairly well documented and easy to verify from the companies financial statements

Wow, I figured that number had to be wrong, but it's even less then $15/day.

From their last annual report:

image.png.7b9b9458038ce6e7bae2edde2ce9057a.png

$12.45 per passenger-cruise-day.

It's actually even less then that, since I assume the food costs count crew members.

On the other hand their labor costs are low, so they make a lot of the food from scratch.  For example, all that wonderful bread we get at dinner each night probably is mostly labor costs. 

image.png

1 hour ago, karl_nj said:

$12.45 per passenger-cruise-day.

It's actually even less then that, since I assume the food costs count crew members.

For RCI it’s likely less than that since that average is for all of RCCL and I assume X and Asmara may have some more expensive ingredients. 

46 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

For RCI it’s likely less than that since that average is for all of RCCL and I assume X and Asmara may have some more expensive ingredients. 

Perhaps...but things like food transportation costs on and off ships, refrigeration, cooks, and other food-related costs are found elsewhere on the overall cost "spreadsheet"...therefore...those low numbers don't really reflect the true amount anyway.

On 4/17/2019 at 11:36 PM, CruisingNole said:

Really? Every time I’ve eaten at a specialty restaurant on an Oasis class ship, they are practically empty. One of our favorite meals was at CP 150 and we were literally the only table in the entire restaurant.

Yup, reservations do get filled up, you see it look empty because they don't have enough servers to accommodate anywhere near full capacity 

I do not have time to read all the responses but have a question.  

If it is $62.50 pp is that how much food you can order off the menu pp? 

When I was on the Mariner a few weeks ago and purchased the Ultimate Dining Pkg, I was told I could not order from the Hibachi menu--was told It is a separate cost. Needless to say, we did not eat there.  I like rolls but not as much as the Hibachi.  

23 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

I do not have time to read all the responses but have a question.  

If it is $62.50 pp is that how much food you can order off the menu pp? 

When I was on the Mariner a few weeks ago and purchased the Ultimate Dining Pkg, I was told I could not order from the Hibachi menu--was told It is a separate cost. Needless to say, we did not eat there.  I like rolls but not as much as the Hibachi.  

An Op on this topic, mentioned that Hibachi is not offered on Anthem and mostly on Oasis classes.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:34 AM, watson61 said:

Does anyone know if you can still do Izumi a la carte for lunch?  I'm on Grandeur in a couple of weeks and was planning on doing this.

We did a la carte at Izumi for lunch on Oasis back in March.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:11 PM, johnjen said:

One of the two of us loves sushi; the other won't go near it. At THOSE prices, Izumi shouldn't be included in dining packages and they should just add it to Sorrrento's and make it free, because a purser on Anthem told us that Izumi, fleet-wide, is NOT doing well in sales and every time we walked past Izumi's the place was empty every time and even during meal hours.

NCL ships have had Teppanyaki, a Japanese hibachi restaurant, for many years; probably from the inception of their Freestyle cruising concept. Those restaurants have done very well over the years. Always full to capacity when I pass them at dinner time. We never miss an opportunity to dine in Teppanyaki on NCL ships.

Looking forward to Izumi hibachi experience on the Mariner coming up the end of May.

On 4/17/2019 at 11:36 PM, CruisingNole said:

150 Central Park is one of those dining experiences I will never forget. It is the epitome of special for "specialty restaurants".