Eating while getting food in the buffet 😖

bogeycruiser

37 minutes ago, yorky said:

It’s actually far better in an evening with far less people, noise, choice of tables and still a very good selection of food.

I agree.  I really like the buffet of an evening for a night off the restaurant.  It's a shame they don't "dress" at least some of the tables properly though.  That would add a nice ambiance for some people eating there.

Phil

• Like 3

18 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Then please enlighten me how germs could possibly be transferred in the scenario I mentioned. 

Whatever way you try to justify it, the truth is that eating on the move just looks awful and is disgusting.  I'm really surprised you can't see why many here think the same.  

Phil

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I agree.  I really like the buffet of an evening for a night off the restaurant.  It's a shame they don't "dress" at least some of the tables properly though.  That would add a nice ambiance for some people eating there.

Phil

Absolutely, maybe they don’t want to make it too appealing while they are trying to upsell the speciality restaurants as the other opens to the MDR.

3 minutes ago, yorky said:

Absolutely, maybe they don’t want to make it too appealing while they are trying to upsell the speciality restaurants as the other opens to the MDR.

I know it is a smaller ship, but they dress all the tables in the buffet in the evening on Azamara.  It adds such a nice feeling to the place.  My experience of the evening buffet on Celebrity is they offer such a nice variety of food.  I remember being on one cruise and met one dear guest toward the end who thought she could only eat in the buffet for free and would have to pay to use the MDR!

Phil

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I know it is a smaller ship, but they dress all the tables in the buffet in the evening on Azamara.  It adds such a nice feeling to the place.  My experience of the evening buffet on Celebrity is they offer such a nice variety of food.  I remember being on one cruise and met one dear guest toward the end who thought she could only eat in the buffet for free and would have to pay to use the MDR!

Phil

Oh Jeez what a shame for her.

• Like 1

Bottom line is some people have zero manners. Seen many times people enter buffet and MDR without using sanitizers. Many times seen men leave bathroom without washing hands. Really! Wonder how germs are spread.

Totally disgusting. People in line that sample and have to eat in line are rude and again have no manners. Put food on your plate get to table and try it if you like it go back for more.. its not a 1 trip only buffet...

Ugh!

• Like 6

I agree that eating in line is very poor manners. While waiting for the salad bar to open one cruise the women in front of me was eating pizza and licking her fingers. I actually  ..against my nature..  spoke to her about the fact that she will then touch the serving utensils with her mouth germs ( as did the person behind me). When the rope came down we stepped in front of her in line and didn't glance back.

But seriously so may people lick their fingers while eating or use their finger nails to pick their teeth and then go back and touch the serving tools again.. SO GROSS. 

I carry my own sanitzer to use after self serve

For those who think it is ok to eat in line .. do you do this at a wedding buffet?

I am so proud that my parents taught me manners and I have passed them down to my children

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Bottom line is some people have zero manners. Seen many times people enter buffet and MDR without using sanitizers. Many times seen men leave bathroom without washing hands. Really! Wonder how germs are spread.

Totally disgusting. People in line that sample and have to eat in line are rude and again have no manners. Put food on your plate get to table and try it if you like it go back for more.. its not a 1 trip only buffet...

Ugh!

I agree completely.   I also think that a lack of respect for others and a misguided sense of personal freedoms rather than responsibilities are growing trends and not just on cruise ships. FWIW..

• Like 4

I actually said to my husband when we were on the Equinox a few weeks ago that I wished they would put up a sign that says, please serve yourself and take a seat and eat.  It seems that people stop in the middle and nosh as they are  are deciding what else to put on their plate.  I hate the French fry eater and licking of fingers and then touching the serving spoon.  

I always think, wow these people are so hungry they can’t wait until they get to their table. I don’t know that their is solution as clearly there are strong feelings on it as to acceptability and manners etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil

They used to do this and it was wonderful.  You got served also and the cover charge was $2.  We heard the servers were trainees.  Too bad they stopped it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TeaBag said:

They used to do this and it was wonderful.  You got served also and the cover charge was $2.  We heard the servers were trainees.  Too bad they stopped it.

Yes .. we loved that and I recall it was 2010 the last time we enjoyed it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Ugh!

It may be rude to eat while in line, but it's really no less sanitary than eating at the table and going for seconds.

18 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

It may be rude to eat while in line, but it's really no less sanitary than eating at the table and going for seconds.

depending on your table manners. Use your utensils and keeps your hands out of your mouth. Yes I know that some foods ate eaten with hands but if you are looking after your own personal health then it can be done properly

20 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I guess it’s like, if no one sees you doing it, it’s not as disgusting in their eyes. Perhaps they need to have finger licking monitors.

Here is one for you … sanitize .. get a table and place personal items at such table .. pull out chair and go for food.. you just put your hands on the filthy chair backs.. touched by all the hand lickers. Oh wait ..you touched your bag which may have been on a floor

I always use my foot to pull char out

1 minute ago, richsea said:

I guess it’s like, if no one sees you doing it, it’s not as disgusting in their eyes. Perhaps they need to have finger licking monitors.

I think you're correct, if people didn't see it, it didn't happen.   I wonder if everyone that is complaining about sanitation washes their hands before they go for seconds,  Somehow I doubt it.

3 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Here is one for you … sanitize .. get a table and place personal items at such table .. pull out chair and go for food.. you just put your hands on the filthy chair backs.. touched by all the hand lickers. Oh wait ..you touched your bag which may have been on a floor

I always use my foot to pull char out

What's your technique for moving your chair back to the table?

23 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I think you're correct, if people didn't see it, it didn't happen.   I wonder if everyone that is complaining about sanitation washes their hands before they go for seconds,  Somehow I doubt it.

I carry sanitizer for this purpose

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Globehoppers said:

Suggest that many of the critical posters here really shouldn't be cruising - which in and of itself is unsanitary.  People - eewww!

The world is unsanitary.. At least the ships surfaces are cleaned more often than most public places. It is up to us to take care of ourselves

• Like 2

I think it's fairly easy to eat your entire meal without touching anything that goes into your mouth.  Bread would be an exception but I don't eat bread, even though I would love those bread sticks.  I'm always aware of the menus being handled by many.

• Like 1

I'm not going to get into who is correct on proper hygiene and I understand your concerns, but...really?

If you go in public and eat, you have lost all control. Plain and simple.

Ever spent time in a restaurant kitchen? I feel many who have commented here, would be appalled. It's not a zero sum game. A lot of your concern should be well before your food even hits the buffet.

Those who have issues with the buffet and avoid it, have "their" best answer. Others who want people to change their behavior at the buffet - well, you might as well add policing chair hogs (Chogs).

• Like 2