Is it worth to dine in Blu if you have Luminae?

PittsburghNative

Yes it’s worth it, if for no other reason than the variety. It’s a lovely space. If you are flexible on your dining times, you should be able to get in to blue. Talk to the maître d’ at Luminae for assistance, or the concierge in Michael’s club.

53 minutes ago, PittsburghNative said:

I’ll be staying in a suite on the Eclipse in 3 weeks and I was wanting to try out Blu. I know suite guests can dine there IF there’s availability. Is it hard to get a reservation in Blu? Is it even worth trying one night? 

If you have never dined there before it is worth a visit just to check out the ambience, table separation etc as well as the food.  I suggest you dine in Luminae a few nights first then you will find it easier to make a comparison. 

You can arrange to dine there in several ways. Pop by and speak to the Blu M’D (perhaps at breakfast time on the day you want to dine) explain you are in a suite and ask if they can ‘fit you in’. They should suggest either early or late. Alternatively either your butler, the Luminae M’D or the Michael’s Concierge will make the request for you.

What you should not do is just pop by at peak time...not fair on Aqua guests and can often make the M’D uncomfortable as he will not want to offend you. By the way you worded your question I am sure you wouldn’t do this...

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

If you have never dined there before it is worth a visit just to check out the ambience, table separation etc as well as the food.  I suggest you dine in Luminae a few nights first then you will find it easier to make a comparison. 

You can arrange to dine there in several ways. Pop by and speak to the Blu M’D (perhaps at breakfast time on the day you want to dine) explain you are in a suite and ask if they can ‘fit you in’. They should suggest either early or late. Alternatively either your butler, the Luminae M’D or the Michael’s Concierge will make the request for you.

What you should not do is just pop by at peak time...not fair on Aqua guests and can often make the M’D uncomfortable as he will not want to offend you. By the way you worded your question I am sure you wouldn’t do this...

I agree with all responses above that Blu is lovely. I do want you to know that when I cruised on the Millennium last month in Aqua class, we asked about the menu differences between Blu and Luminae and were told the menus were the same with very few exceptions. You may want to check with you maitre’d first.

6 minutes ago, tenmile said:

I agree with all responses above that Blu is lovely. I do want you to know that when I cruised on the Millennium last month in Aqua class, we asked about the menu differences between Blu and Luminae and were told the menus were the same with very few exceptions. You may want to check with you maitre’d first.

We can see the strengths in both restaurants.

However, we find the Luminae menu very different to that in Blu...I am not saying it is better or worse just different. 

Thanks for the advice! I definitely don’t want to intrude on AQ guests, but if it’s possible, I think it would be nice to try it out and to compare it to Luminae. Does Luminae and Blu post their menus in advance?

Edited by PittsburghNative

36 minutes ago, PittsburghNative said:

Thanks for the advice! I definitely don’t want to intrude on AQ guests, but if it’s possible, I think it would be nice to try it out and to compare it to Luminae. Does Luminae and Blu post their menus in advance?

The Michael’s Host will liaise with the Luminae M’D for you to have full copies of the Luminae menus for the cruise then you can choose an evening to try Blu.

Edited by chemmo

7 hours ago, tenmile said:

when I cruised on the Millennium last month in Aqua class, we asked about the menu differences between Blu and Luminae and were told the menus were the same with very few exceptions. 

18 minutes ago, Smithster said:

I have been in both and I swear I can not see difference.  But for the variety I would do it.  Love both

My wife and I are regular menu reviewers for Luminae, MDR, and Blu.

We find  the offering to be significantly different, but we do find it difficult to understand some items in the Luminae menu.   Of course it might be different from ship to ship.  

I do agree if the OP has never dined in Blu that they should try it at a time where it is not busy.  Good idea to try it when the MDR menu (also available in Luminae) and the Luminae menus do not excite them.  

7 hours ago, tenmile said:

Worth a visit for dinner at least once, if space is available,  BLU  is getting more crowded  with slower service, esp at peak times. But varies by ship and itin.

The menus  look very diff to me and BLU has more choices.   We  have only been in BLU ( many times),   but from photos posted, BLU seems to have simpler fare... Some of the Luminae items look too fussy for us..but everyone seems to love it. Suite guests pay more for the exclusivity,  service and food there...but BLU may be worth a try,

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

My wife and I are regular menu reviewers for Luminae, MDR, and Blu.

We find  the offering to be significantly different, but we do find it difficult to understand some items in the Luminae menu.   Of course it might be different from ship to ship.  

I do agree if the OP has never dined in Blu that they should try it at a time where it is not busy.  Good idea to try it when the MDR menu (also available in Luminae) and the Luminae menus do not excite them.  

@jagoffee

Can I assume Blu and Luminae are better in menu/meals/service etc?

When I read the menus from a sailing (Preisman's site often posts them) there seems to be a wide variety of difference

Would you say thats true re quality?

Am surprised to read others saying that Luminae and Blu are vastly similar though I admit I haven't put two weeks of menus side by side to see

4 hours ago, hcat said:

The menus  look very diff to me and BLU has more choices.   We  have only been in BLU ( many times),   but from photos posted, BLU seems to have simpler fare... Some of the Luminae items look too fussy for us..but everyone seems to love it. Suite guests pay more for the exclusivity,  service and food there...but BLU may be worth a try,

Im actually wondering how much I’ll enjoy Luminae, as the menu features food I don’t eat too often (which there is no harm in trying new cuisine). I’m a very picky eater, so I did feel like Blu was more like what I’m used to eating. I’m not meaning for this to come off that Luminae won’t be amazing, it’s just what I personally think because I’m a plain eater.

Edited by PittsburghNative

4 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Luminae will prepare the food that’s in the MDR?

5 minutes ago, PittsburghNative said:

Luminae will prepare the food that’s in the MDR?

PittsburghNative:

More precisely, you can order off the MDR Menu while you are in Luminae.  They get the item for you from the MDR Galley.  So in Luminae you can always (under current configuration, I think in both S and M class ships) order either from the Luminae or MDR menu.  Just request the MDR menu so you can compare.  I do not recall if you can order off MDR menu in Blu.

Another good reason to try out Blu, or at least one we have considered: let's say you want to go on a certain cruise, but the Suite prices are  just too high.  It would be good to know if Blu is a good alternative to Luminae, so you can judge if you would be happy in an Aqua cabin, without the Suite benefits, but with Blu.

Tom & Judy

3 hours ago, Fogfog said:

@jagoffee

Can I assume Blu and Luminae are better in menu/meals/service etc?

When I read the menus from a sailing (Preisman's site often posts them) there seems to be a wide variety of difference

Would you say thats true re quality?

Am surprised to read others saying that Luminae and Blu are vastly similar though I admit I haven't put two weeks of menus side by side to see

Yes, from my experience Blu and Luminae are better in menu/meals/service as well as atmosphere.  (IMO).  The same thing can generally be said about the Speciality Restaurant.  Of course food is subjective and the quality may vary.

It has been several years, since we have enjoyed dinner in Blu.  But from our previous experiences, my wife and I would say Luminae is superior.  We would say most cruisers would agree, but certainly not all cruisers.

I can’t eat fish or seafood and find that Luminae which has a smaller menu than Blu limiting in choices so I frequently order items from the MDR menu.  I prefer Luminae for the service and not having the tables so crowded together.

We were on the Eclipse, in a Suite earlier this month and went to Blu for breakfast one morning, either I forgot how close together the tables are or they have added more seating.  

We've sailed X a few times but in January we'll have our first time in Luminae.  (Our last suite was in 2009 on Mercury, no Luminae!)

I had really high hopes that Luminae would exceed Blu for service.  Blu has become crowded and SLOOOOOW.  Please tell me it will not be the same in Luminae?

1 hour ago, the_dylaness said:

We've sailed X a few times but in January we'll have our first time in Luminae.  (Our last suite was in 2009 on Mercury, no Luminae!)

I had really high hopes that Luminae would exceed Blu for service.  Blu has become crowded and SLOOOOOW.  Please tell me it will not be the same in Luminae?

I see you are on the Equinox, so I think you will find the service as fast as you wish.  Except for one of our Reflection cruises, I have never found the Luminae.  Even on that cruise, I never had to wait for a table.

2 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

Some guests in Luminae enjoy lingering, especially over their evening meal....If you do find the service slow then tell your waiter. We often find breakfast a little slow (cooked to order) and tend to enjoy room service on the balcony on days we are going to be busy.

I seem to remember from another post you are travelling with young children? On one cruise we were aware that a couple travelling with a young child looked at the evening menu after breakfast each day. They let the waiter know what they wanted and the time they were coming in the evening. More or less as they sat down their starters were there. The little one was really well behaved probably helped by the expedited service. The Luminae staff are great with children.

Like Jagoffee says in an earlier post the menus in Luminae are rather odd. Personally I would rather have a clear description. The first few times we dined in Luminae I would ask the waiter to translate. We also find the menu quite limited. No issues with service. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, chemmo said:

I seem to remember from another post you are travelling with young children? On one cruise we were aware that a couple travelling with a young child looked at the evening menu after breakfast each day. They let the waiter know what they wanted and the time they were coming in the evening. More or less as they sat down their starters were there. The little one was really well behaved probably helped by the expedited service. The Luminae staff are great with children.

You have a good memory!

On the trip where we are in Luminae we are without kids but yes we do cruise with our kids on X as well.  Good idea about menu previews, did not know that could happen!  We'll try that on our next family cruise.  Thanks!

We have been in both.  

The presentation is a little better in Luminae.

I would suggest trying Blu for breakfast to get a feel for the room.   The menu is a little different  but the juices, sweet rolls and omelettes are exactly the same.  They are also the same in the MDR.  The MDR for breakfast actually has more options.

Blu is supposed to be a clean cuisine being that they use healthier oils and etc when making the entrees.  Couldn’t really notice the difference.  The breads in the bread basket are all the same in all dining rooms, and buffet.  The sweet rolls for breakfast are the same.  

If you see something that interests you on the menu for the dinner in Blu than try it.   One night in Luminae the server even commented that the menu was weak and we should order from the main dining room. 

Depending on the ship when dining in Luminae you can order from all the menus.      It depends on where the kitchen is.  Just ask your server.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅