Kosher Meals Available? (Alaska)

Ferry_Watcher

Does anyone have any experience in ordering kosher meals?  i have some friends who want to cruise to Alaska (from Seattle), but need to adhere to a Kosher diet.  Any info about the availability of Kosher meals on HAL, Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean or Norwegian would be appreciated.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

All cruise lines will be able to accommodate Kosher meals. They will be frozen "TV dinners", that must be requested in advance. It would surprise me if the different lines didn't use the same supplier. They will be served still wrapped on a paper plate with appropriately wrapped plastic ware.

35 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

All cruise lines will be able to accommodate Kosher meals. They will be frozen "TV dinners", that must be requested in advance. It would surprise me if the different lines didn't use the same supplier. They will be served still wrapped on a paper plate with appropriately wrapped plastic ware.

Thanks for the information.  i guess using the same Kosher catering kitchen in Seattle makes sense.  Do you know if these meals are multi course like the other meals served on board? 

My friends mentioned that they were leaning towards NCL because of the shorter lead time in ordering (sounds like they are doing this cruise last minute at the beginning of this season).  Do you have any other knowledge of how far out one would have to request Kosher meals?  Do you know if NCL is just easier to work with?  NCL has the Bliss and the Joy sailing to Alaska. 

Thanks again!

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
added additional text

Sounds to me like they need to get a travel agent who will do all the research for them, rather than relying on you to do it for them.  Or join CC and do their own research.  Things like this are what TAs earn their commission for.  EM

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Sounds to me like they need to get a travel agent who will do all the research for them, rather than relying on you to do it for them.  Or join CC and do their own research.  Things like this are what TAs earn their commission for.  EM

Not sure if they have ever cruise before, and since they will be embarking from my hometown I thought I would ask my friends on CC.  I think this is the first time I posted an inquiry asking for help - I much prefer answering Seattle Pier 91 questions.  ;  )

My aunt and uncle cruise Princess a lot (HAL occasionally).   You can pre-order the Kosher meals but they aren't enamored with them.  They order off the menu but stay within the boundaries.  She eats a lot of salad and he eats a lot of the salmon.  And I believe they only eat 2 meals a day.    

• Like 1

I can't answer questions on the lead time. I always thought it was 6-8 weeks.

My understanding is that they aren't that "glorious". I've only seen them once.

While I don't keep Kosher, my father in law does. When we go out, he just eats fish, versus worrying if its Kosher or not. Not sure if that's an option for your friends.

My only advise is if they need Kosher meals, they should book and order ASAP.

• Like 1

I know this does not apply directly to the OP's question as it was about the mass market cruise lines, but for anyone who cares to spend more money, Crystal can provide multi coursed Kosher meals that I've been told are quite good. They have a special Kosher section in the galley where the food is prepared and the special pots, pans and dishes are kept.

Arrangements must be made in advance and they will most likely be prepackaged meals, not freshly prepared unless they book a kosher cruise.  Those are special ones booked through specific agencies and they do all the necessary bits required to make the kitchen acceptable for that cruise

There are some groups that put together special Kosher cruises. 

It's fairly elaborate, AFAIK, and involves Koshering a section of the kitchen, and using proper cooking/serving/eating equipment.  The group would sit at a separate section.

Main point is that the food is freshly prepared, just like the "regular" (non-Kosher) meals.

(Note:  These are apparently different from some of the school-break groups that have reportedly had behavior problems.)

GC

23 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Does anyone have any experience in ordering kosher meals?  i have some friends who want to cruise to Alaska (from Seattle), but need to adhere to a Kosher diet.  Any info about the availability of Kosher meals on HAL, Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean or Norwegian would be appreciated.

Thanks! 

my dh is jewish, while he prefers kosher, he never orders kosher on a cruise ship, because it is easy to get fish, vegetables and avoid non kosher items.  We only order kosher meals when flying.  All kosker meals on ships are like frozen dinner.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Kosher food should be available on every cruise ship

Not totally true....

It has to do with the level of "kosher" someone adheres to for their diet.  Some eat "kosher" by avoiding those food products proscribed by the religion, like shellfish, pork (cloven hoven animals).  Some eat "kosher" by requiring a "kosherized" kitchen, where a rabbi has blessed the kitchen and approved of the kitchen's usage of separate cookery, utensils, and ovens, etc., for the food prep and service.  Some also take it so far as to eat in restaurants which, in addition to the "kosherized" kitchen, have a rabbi on-staff who inspects the incoming meat and produce and dairy daily (I worked at a luxury hotel which had the only glatt kosher fine dining restaurant in N. America and it had the whole kitchen and rabbi).  At another hotel I worked at, we had families who would book two suites and have our local Orthodox rabbi come in and kosherize the kitchen of one of them (there was some process that included sterilizing cookware/dishes/glasses and superheating the oven for a certain period of time).  

I would imagine that for someone who is very strict adherer to a Kosher lifestyle will get those pre-ordered meals ordered in advance just for them by a cruiseline - yes, they look like the one-plate TV dinner in aluminum pans and you are given single-use plates, cutlery and glasses.  

I had a nice young woman at the hotel this weekend for a conference.  She was an Orthodox Jew.  She asked for assistance for Kosher meals, which we got for her from the local Kosher Kitchen - they were just like I discribed above.  She also wanted to observe Shabbat as strictly as she could; I changed her room to one on the second floor (which had stairs to in the lobby), and arranged for her locks to be disabled.  I gave her some candles to use.  I made sure the staff knew she was observing Shabbat so they could graciously and quietly assist her if needed.  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Not totally true....

It has to do with the level of "kosher" someone adheres to for their diet.  Some eat "kosher" by avoiding those food products proscribed by the religion, like shellfish, pork (cloven hoven animals).  Some eat "kosher" by requiring a "kosherized" kitchen, where a rabbi has blessed the kitchen and approved of the kitchen's usage of separate cookery, utensils, and ovens, etc., for the food prep and service.  Some also take it so far as to eat in restaurants which, in addition to the "kosherized" kitchen, have a rabbi on-staff who inspects the incoming meat and produce and dairy daily (I worked at a luxury hotel which had the only glatt kosher fine dining restaurant in N. America and it had the whole kitchen and rabbi).  At another hotel I worked at, we had families who would book two suites and have our local Orthodox rabbi come in and kosherize the kitchen of one of them (there was some process that included sterilizing cookware/dishes/glasses and superheating the oven for a certain period of time).  

I would imagine that for someone who is very strict adherer to a Kosher lifestyle will get those pre-ordered meals ordered in advance just for them by a cruiseline - yes, they look like the one-plate TV dinner in aluminum pans and you are given single-use plates, cutlery and glasses.  

I had a nice young woman at the hotel this weekend for a conference.  She was an Orthodox Jew.  She asked for assistance for Kosher meals, which we got for her from the local Kosher Kitchen - they were just like I discribed above.  She also wanted to observe Shabbat as strictly as she could; I changed her room to one on the second floor (which had stairs to in the lobby), and arranged for her locks to be disabled.  I gave her some candles to use.  I made sure the staff knew she was observing Shabbat so they could graciously and quietly assist her if needed.  

It's people like you that make such a positive difference in the hospitality field!  

Just now, Ferry_Watcher said:

It's people like you that make such a positive difference in the hospitality field!  

Thank you.  I'm just a Protestant who wants to know as much as I can to best serve my various guests!!  My one hotel was owned by an Orthodox Jew from Toronto, so he wanted to be sure the staff was trained on how to interact with his Orthodox friends.  I'm the resident staff to do everything for our Jewish guests.  I know Orthodox friends and they turn me on to the local rabbi when I have questions.  I even do the Hanukkah candles at the hotel and make sure I light them right at sundown!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I knew a guy who was very religious but much to my surprise he would go to diners and order tuna fish or go to a kosher deli thatvwas open on Saturday.

I know other people who are Modern Orthodox who will only eat in Glatt Kosher restaurants.

my dh grew up in Europe during WWII, part of the time in French Morocco, in a very religious family.    He is like the gentleman you mentioned above, he would eat tuna or eggs at a dinner out.    We grew up with everything being made from scratch and fresh, his mother used separately dishes for the High Holidays etc., but after he immigrated to the USA, San Francisco,  it is impossible to find a kosher butcher any more.  We buy some kosher chicken and meat at Trader Joe's, that the only fresh items available locally.  We eat a lot of fish with bones.   I am a Catholic, so learned about all this over the years.  We don't keep separate dishes but do follow dietary guidelines.    When we travel, we buy fresh, eat fish, eggs, tuna... LOL.... on cruise ship it is easy,  lots of options - mostly fish.   When we go to Israel, we stay at the Dan Hotel chain that is kosher, it has a separate meat and dairy restaurants.     So there are various ways one can follow their religious believes.  Jews just like Catholics  have made adjustments... I grew up not eating meat on Fridays, rarely Catholics do that today.  

We have cruised on Passover, we take our own matoz by the way.  Cruise lines will provide items for a Seder.  We usually do not attend because my dh is Sephardic and it has different traditions.  

50 minutes ago, pris993 said:

my dh grew up in Europe during WWII, part of the time in French Morocco, in a very religious family.    He is like the gentleman you mentioned above, he would eat tuna or eggs at a dinner out.    We grew up with everything being made from scratch and fresh, his mother used separately dishes for the High Holidays etc., but after he immigrated to the USA, San Francisco,  it is impossible to find a kosher butcher any more.  We buy some kosher chicken and meat at Trader Joe's, that the only fresh items available locally.  We eat a lot of fish with bones.   I am a Catholic, so learned about all this over the years.  We don't keep separate dishes but do follow dietary guidelines.    When we travel, we buy fresh, eat fish, eggs, tuna... LOL.... on cruise ship it is easy,  lots of options - mostly fish.   When we go to Israel, we stay at the Dan Hotel chain that is kosher, it has a separate meat and dairy restaurants.     So there are various ways one can follow their religious believes.  Jews just like Catholics  have made adjustments... I grew up not eating meat on Fridays, rarely Catholics do that today.  

We have cruised on Passover, we take our own matoz by the way.  Cruise lines will provide items for a Seder.  We usually do not attend because my dh is Sephardic and it has different traditions.  

52 minutes ago, pris993 said:

My best friend in high school and his wife developed a kosher dessert food called Genuto.It is available in Trader Joe's and other stores in your area.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My best friend in high school and his wife developed a kosher dessert food called Genuto.It is available in Trader Joe's and other stores in your area.

Thanks will check it out.  Had not looked for desserts there.  

slidergirl, while the description is greatly appreciated, I believe it is accepted that yes, Kosher meals are readily available on a cruise ship, but they are frozen prepared meals, not "fresh".

There is a TA that plans cruises where they do bring a Rabbi on to Kosher a galley, and bring their own plates/glasses/etc so they can make meals. Obviously, the costs of these cruises is quite a bit higher. 

With regards to the OP, if your friends wish to cruise, the best thing they can do is call NCL ASAP and make sure they are still within the window to request Kosher meals.

Thank you to all that answered my Kosher meals question.  I had asked on behalf of friends who were looking to book a last minute Alaskan cruise sailing in mid May.  I had suggested they look to the Cruise Critic community, but I went ahead and posted the question.

I have learned so much.  I think this thread will be a great asset for any Kosher meals inquiries in the future (I had used the research option, but no posts as specific as all of your answers showed up).   I will update this thread when I hear what my friends decided to do. If they do book the Alaskan cruise, I will ask them to let me know how they enjoyed their meals.

Again, many thanks!