Neptune and 4 star perks for minors traveling with you in an inside cabin

kangforpres

Hi Everyone-

I know this might sound like a really big Privileged People Problem but I'm treating my my brother  and his daughters (my nieces) to an Alaska cruise in August. Me and my brother are in the Neptune, my 13 year twin nieces are across the hall in an inside. I'm wondering if my nieces and my brother and can be my guests to the Neptune lounge and to breakfast in the Pinnacle?  My nieces are listed as "traveling and dining" with Me and my brother. My Brother is in the Neptune with me so obviously has Neptune and Pinnacle breakfast options.

Thanks, 

Paul

Edited by kangforpres

46 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

Hi Everyone-

I know this might sound like a really big Privileged People Problem but I'm treating my my brother  and his daughters (my nieces) to an Alaska cruise in August. Me and my brother are in the Neptune, my 13 year twin nieces are across the hall in an inside. I'm wondering if my nieces and my brother and can be my guests to the Neptune lounge and to breakfast in the Pinnacle?  My nieces are listed as "traveling and dining" with Me and my brother. My Brother is in the Neptune with me so obviously has Neptune and Pinnacle breakfast options.

Thanks, 

Paul

Only those in Neptune suites can have access to the Lounge and breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.  Our son and his fiancée were in a suite and we were in a Neptune and we were (politely) asked to have them leave the Neptune Lounge because they were not occupants of a Neptune Suite.  They definitely cannot have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.  

• Like 3

I don’t believe they will be allowed.  If they were sharing the Neptune suite as 3rd & 4th guests they would have access to the lounge and Pinnacle for breakfast.  Are they allowed to be in a cabin by themselves?  I thought there was a certain age they had to be.  

Hope you have a wonderful time!  Very nice treat! 

• Like 2

One idea if Club Orange will have been implemented on your ship when you go on your cruise. You can pay the $50 pp/day for your nieces so you can all eat together in the designated CO area. From what I've been reading, that's where Neptune guests will be eating breakfast as well as lunch (on sea days) and dinner (for free) rather than just breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill if CO hasn't been implemented yet. Just a thought.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

45 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I don’t believe they will be allowed.  If they were sharing the Neptune suite as 3rd & 4th guests they would have access to the lounge and Pinnacle for breakfast.  Are they allowed to be in a cabin by themselves?  I thought there was a certain age they had to be.  

Hope you have a wonderful time!  Very nice treat! 

While I can't recall the exact age right now, I also agree that at 13, the nieces will not be able to be in a cabin by themselves.  I would suggest that the OP call HAL and confirm.

No, the nieces will not be able to visit the Neptune Lounge or Pinnacle Grill breakfast as guests.  These venues are reserved for paying guests in Neptune Suite and above.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

While I can't recall the exact age right now, I also agree that at 13, the nieces will not be able to be in a cabin by themselves.  I would suggest that the OP call HAL and confirm.

No, the nieces will not be able to visit the Neptune Lounge or Pinnacle Grill breakfast as guests.  These venues are reserved for paying guests in Neptune Suite and above.

Can't the brother have his name put on the inside cabin and one niece put on the Neptune booking? Then after they check in, swap keys so the nieces can sleep together in the inside cabin.

1 hour ago, kangforpres said:

Hi Everyone-

Thanks, 

Paul

Sorry, only pax staying in Neptune cabins (plus the PH occupants) will be allowed inside the NL, and the concierges will be checking their Fidelio headshots (the ones that are taken of you upon check-in inside the terminal) for verification when you first meet them

I would follow the previous advise and check with HAL beforehand to see if two 13-yr olds are allowed to occupy a cabin without adults present

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Can't the brother have his name put on the inside cabin and one niece put on the Neptune booking? Then after they check in, swap keys so the nieces can sleep together in the inside cabin.

Certainly, but that doesn't solve the problem of only those actually booked in the Neptune getting the perks and not the others.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I don’t think that would work because if the brother is named in the inside cabin he wouldn’t be allowed in Neptune lounge/Pinnacle either-with swapping keys his photo would not show up to the Neptune concierge and he’d be asked to leave.     They all need to be in the Neptune suite.  We’ve had 4 in the suite so maybe the OP can change reservation for all to be in the Neptune suite?  

I doubt the girls are allowed, on the booking, to be both named in the inside cabin without an adult on the reservation.  

OP-hope you get this sorted out.  I honestly think you’d all have to be in the Neptune suite to get all the perks.  

• Like 1

We were on the Amsterdam last summer, I had to book myself and my 14 y/o son in NS and wife and 16 y/o daughter in inside cabin across the hall.  My son and I had access to NL but wife and daughter did not.

Edited by LTC_Motes
  • Like 2

We had a NS and an inside last year (I believe husband and one son registered for inside). We never used the Pinnacle for breakfast but all used the NL with zero issue. We all had cards to both staterooms rooms, but I'm not sure that using the NL was even much of a thing. I remember I got a coffee or a soft drink here and there and we double checked things with the concierge, but there really isn't much more of a use for the NL, especially if your NS is on a different floor. (In my opinion!)

Of course, this was also the cruise where I got the flu and was quarantined to the room for 48 hours. At least I could say I got the use of the NS...

• Like 1

Does your brother and his daughters have passports?

Just a heads up in case they don't and the cruise  itinerary does not already require passports for all guests: HAL requires that when minors are traveling with a single responsible adult, that both the adult and minors have passports.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

One idea if Club Orange will have been implemented on your ship when you go on your cruise. You can pay the $50 pp/day for your nieces so you can all eat together in the designated CO area. From what I've been reading, that's where Neptune guests will be eating breakfast as well as lunch (on sea days) and dinner (for free) rather than just breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill if CO hasn't been implemented yet. Just a thought.

CO isn't open for lunch, but buying CO would get them into the NS breakfast (and dinner if that ship has CO). However, CO won't get them into the Neptune Lounge. That is not included in CO.

25 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

CO isn't open for lunch, but buying CO would get them into the NS breakfast (and dinner if that ship has CO). However, CO won't get them into the Neptune Lounge. That is not included in CO.

Wow, CO isn’t open for lunch on sea days? That’s good to know.

As far as getting into the NL, not quite sure that would be such a big deal. So someone goes into the NL to get some snacks for the non NS suite folks and take it back to the NS for everyone to munch on. And if they need to talk with the Concierge, the authorized ones can do that. 

Now, what hasn’t been talked about is the NS unlimited laundry perk. I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to figure out a strategy to get everyone’s laundry done without too much thought. 

• Like 2

As already mentioned, missing out on the Neptune Lounge is not a big deal IMO, especially for the kids.  They seem to be cutting back on the snacks in there for one thing, plus the Neptune's in-cabin coffee maker also helps out.  Not much else to do in there.

Missing the Pinnacle breakfast is a bit different, but the kids probably would not like it anyway (too formal).

Something is strange about this question that nobody has mentioned.  I was under the impression that HAL has a firm rule that every cabin must be inhabited by an adult 21 or over...(Obviously someone will correct me if I'm wrong)... so how can two 13 year old children be the only ones in the inside cabin?  Perhaps on your booking, your brother is actually listed as having booked that cabin? 

That aside, I sailed with my daughter and nephew on Oosterdam with a Neptune Suite and an OV cabin.  My daughter was 21 so I booked her and my then 19 year old nephew into the ocean view and I was booked as a single in the Neptune.  In actuality, my daughter bunked with me in the suite and we let my nephew have the OV to himself (they both hung out in the suite whenever they wanted to during the day), but we were aware this was not really within the rules since a 19 year old is not really allowed to sail "alone".  When we embarked, I told the concierges in the Neptune lounge that although I was the only one booked on my suite, I was traveling with my daughter and nephew and asked if either of them would be allowed into the lounge.  They said no problem and asked me to introduce them.  A little later we all came into the Neptune lounge, I introduced them to the concierges and asked again if they were sure it was okay for them to use the lounge and they were given the okay.  My nephew had to be with one of us, of course, to enter, since his key did not open the lounge.  Oh, and they gave my daughter a new cabin key-only card (to my cabin) which did open the lounge and she used the one to the kids' cabin for onboard purchases since it was loaded with CC info and the other one was key only.

41 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Something is strange about this question that nobody has mentioned.  I was under the impression that HAL has a firm rule that every cabin must be inhabited by an adult 21 or over...(Obviously someone will correct me if I'm wrong)... so how can two 13 year old children be the only ones in the inside cabin?  Perhaps on your booking, your brother is actually listed as having booked that cabin? 

That aside, I sailed with my daughter and nephew on Oosterdam with a Neptune Suite and an OV cabin.  My daughter was 21 so I booked her and my then 19 year old nephew into the ocean view and I was booked as a single in the Neptune.  In actuality, my daughter bunked with me in the suite and we let my nephew have the OV to himself (they both hung out in the suite whenever they wanted to during the day), but we were aware this was not really within the rules since a 19 year old is not really allowed to sail "alone".  When we embarked, I told the concierges in the Neptune lounge that although I was the only one booked on my suite, I was traveling with my daughter and nephew and asked if either of them would be allowed into the lounge.  They said no problem and asked me to introduce them.  A little later we all came into the Neptune lounge, I introduced them to the concierges and asked again if they were sure it was okay for them to use the lounge and they were given the okay.  My nephew had to be with one of us, of course, to enter, since his key did not open the lounge.  Oh, and they gave my daughter a new cabin key-only card (to my cabin) which did open the lounge and she used the one to the kids' cabin for onboard purchases since it was loaded with CC info and the other one was key only.

It is nice that you asked and even confirmed with them but they should not have allowed the people in a non-Neptune suite cabin to use the lounge. When my son and fiancée  came in with us, they were immediately asked to leave. The concierge was very nice about it but made it very clear that this was not allowed. Yes, I would be upset if someone was using it when my family was denied the same privilege. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I noticed in the OP's title, he also mentioned someone is a 4 star which has free laundry as a perk. If that 4 star adult is booked in the inside cabin, then all is above board. 

The four-star person could be in the other cabin and get her laundry done for free and the occupants of the Neptune suite would get their laundry done for free. However the four-star person in the other cabin would have to forfeit going into the Neptune lounge. I am assuming, of course, you meant they could figure out an ethical strategy to get all of their laundry done for free.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ithaca gal said:

The four-star person could be in the other cabin and get her laundry done for free and the occupants of the Neptune suite would get their laundry done for free. However the four-star person in the other cabin would have to forfeit going into the Neptune lounge. I am assuming, of course, you meant they could figure out an ethical strategy to get all of their laundry done for free.  

Of course.

Well, this has certainly hit a spark with some CC'ers. So let me provide more details:

My very experienced and long time HAL affiliated Travel Agent in San Francisco, CA helped me extensively with this booking since she is a very hands-on type agent and her agency specializes in Cruise Planning and has been in business since 1955. And I have never had to arrange a cruise for more than 1 cabin and 2 people in that 1 cabin. I'm not bragging but I think she knows her stuff. 

My 13 year old nieces are indeed the only passengers listed on the booking for the Category L, inside stateroom. They now have their own Mariner #'s too. My Brother and I are the passengers listed in the SB cabin, both cabins have different HAL Booking #'s.

I did look at the HAL rules for guests under 21 as Copper 10-8. suggested. Since they are 13 they fall into the 13-17 year old category where they do not have to be constantly accompanied by adult when on the ship:

Teens’ Program (ages 13 – 17): There are no registration or sign in/out procedures for teen programming, additionally children under 16 may go ashore alone if arrangements are made in advance with the Ship's Chief Security Officer.

Also my original intent was to book an SY, and a nearby I cabin but my travel agent could not find a suitable arrangement since all the I cabins on the upper floors are sold out.  Believe me the price for my magnanimous generosity for my brother and nieces would have been more affordable. I have been to AK 4 times already and know the importance of having a balcony.

So she came back the next day with an offer on an SB and the L right across the hall but not adjoining. The SB is an Aft wrap-around balcony on Deck 6. Even though I'm 4 stars I've never gotten to experience this unique Neptune Layout cabin and since we are going to AK I jumped at it,  you get 180 degree views of the glaciers and scenery in spite of the price increase from the SY and I combo.

My question is I just want everyone in my party to know that if allowed you can stop in the Neptune Lounge and get a fancy snack, drink or even use the espresso machine instead of having to go up to the Lido. 

As for Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill I'm a breakfast person, my brother probably would also enjoy it but the 13 year old nieces eat like little birds and probably would not care. Since it's the exact same breakfast as offered in the Dinning Room what would HAL really care if we had a table for 4 instead of a table for 2? The 13 year old nieces are not going to drink bottomless Mimosa's.

OK, I'm not trying to pull one over and get by something on HAL,  a company and brand  I really like and recommend to almost anyone I talk to who asks me why I like cruising so much with them.  Not to mention that most likely  me and  my wife an have spent well over $100K as customers with the company achieving 4 star Mariner status just after 12 cruises. Not just on-board spending but at least three 15 day cruises in a suite to rack up Mariner points.

Hurumph!

-Paul

1 hour ago, kangforpres said:

My 13 year old nieces are indeed the only passengers listed on the booking for the Category L, inside stateroom. They now have their own Mariner #'s too. My Brother and I are the passengers listed in the SB cabin, both cabins have different HAL Booking #'s.

I think that it would be a good idea to ask your agent how she was able to do this. I suspect that she has over-ridden the system by selecting adult for one or even both of your neices. If you go to the HAL plan a cruise  page and try to do a dummy booking for your cruise, you will see that '1' adult is the minimum number allowed for any cabin. It is impossible to  book a cabin for only two young adults (children) under 17.

You need to get this sorted before you arrive at the dock.

• Like 2

Found the regulations _

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/legal-privacy/cruise-contract.html

5. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS

Guests under the age of 21 years must travel in a stateroom with a Guest 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for at least one person in each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. We are unable to accept group reservations for student or youth groups that do not conform to our minimum age requirements. Each Guest agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any Guest in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Guests under their supervision.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, colbe said:

Found the regulations _

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/legal-privacy/cruise-contract.html

5. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS

Guests under the age of 21 years must travel in a stateroom with a Guest 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for at least one person in each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. We are unable to accept group reservations for student or youth groups that do not conform to our minimum age requirements. Each Guest agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any Guest in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Guests under their supervision.

That's good to know...if I am reading this correctly it means next time my 17 and 15 y/os come with us they may be able to get their own room.