Man bag ?

Swann5

My DH and I are doing a back to back this July on the Connie, Barcelona to Venice, Venice to Greek isles, back to Venice. We know it will be super hot, but as a teacher, our travel dates are limited. Question: what style/brand of bag do men carry? Looking for something as small as possible to negotiate through large crowds and not have to be checked at museum; definitely not a back pack. Must have room for reading glasses/sunglasses, bottle of water, wallet and map/guide/tickets, while also being a deterrent to pick pockets. We did 18 days in Mediterranean two years ago and am hoping my DH can help carry the load this time if I can find a suitable bag for him.  Yes, I did a search before posting with limited results. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions! Fire away! 😀

I bought about 10 small shoulder bags on a Summit cruise for $10 and gave them as gifts. I kept 2 and have used them. They are called ‘Cruise Club’ bags. I also had a Ranboo Cross-body bag I got off Amazon for $18. It’s smallish and carries an iPad mini plus other things. Easy and light.

Use Amazon and search ‘men Shoulder bag small’ and there will be a ton of them. High quality and cheaper canvass.  

Remember, they are Not Purses, they are ‘Murses’ or ‘ManBags’!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Swann5 said:

Looking for something as small as possible to negotiate through large crowds and not have to be checked at museum;

All bags are checked in the museums and when you return to the ship

26 minutes ago, Lisah101 said:

My first choice would definitely be a backpack but since those are out, Pacsafe has several other options that include security features such as a Slingpack or a Crossbody pack.  I've used a Pacsafe backpack for a dozen or more trips all over Europe and the Middle East without issue.

I have used a Pacsafe crossbody slingpack for a few years and it is ideal.  it is small, yet is able to hold all i need for the day including a small camera.  plus it has a multitude of security features which will deter any pickpockets.   it is small enough that it may be searched at a museum, but they will not require you to check it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ScubesDad said:

I have used a Pacsafe crossbody slingpack for a few years and it is ideal.  it is small, yet is able to hold all i need for the day including a small camera.  plus it has a multitude of security features which will deter any pickpockets.   it is small enough that it may be searched at a museum, but they will not require you to check it.

The other positive is men who can wear baggy shirts, then slip the bag under your shirt so no one knows it is there!

I use my husband as the pack horse to carry things all the time. A backpack on hot trips made him hot and he did not like the crossbody pack He changed to a pacsafe fanny pack on the next trip.  I know fannypacks  have a bad reputation but this one was big enough for essentials and light enough he did not notice he was wearing it most of the time. It was very safe and secure.  He is good sport and will try anything. 

• Like 1

DH has used a cross body messenger bag on our last few trips. He finds it more comfortable than his backpack, and easier to keep an eye on from a security standpoint ( pickpockets). His is a Timbuk2, but less expensive ones can be found on Amazon

@gerylmx- I don't think the OP was referring to security checks. She wants to avoid having to leave the bag in the coat check area; common practice for backbacks in most museums.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

I used an Eddie Bauer Cross Body Guide Bag for Disney World years ago.  It was my go to for vacations for years.  it was not huge, but could fit all essentials for a day at the beach (book, sunglasses, sunscreen)) and had a place I could clip on a water bottle with a carabiner to a loop on the strap.  I have since switched to a small stow able backpack.  

It sounds to me like the PO is looking more for something like a smaller messenger bag.  I have read good things about this...

image.thumb.png.3463fded3a1c7197313cca2a37280f7c.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

You might also look at travel vests/fishing vests.  EM

I use travel vests a lot. My wife loves to watch me fumble through the 22+ pockets looking for whatever I’ve put in my zippered pants leg pocket. It’s part of her joy of traveling!

Den

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I bought a black leather man bag years ago with a shoulder strap. It's about 6"x10" , has 3 zippered pockets and one open pocket. it holds my camera, sun glasses, passports, note pad, maps, etc and its been great. I'm comfortable using it outside the US but not at home. I threw out my fanny packs years ago.

59 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

a favourite  of pick pocketers!

:classic_rolleyes:Not my experiences. My wife has never had her purse snatched either. But anything is possible. Are you speaking from personal experiences? I'll stick with my cargo shorts over a fanny pack or man purse any day. 😀

• Like 1