Man bag ?

Swann5

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

:classic_rolleyes:Not my experiences. My wife has never had her purse snatched either. But anything is possible. Are you speaking from personal experiences? I'll stick with my cargo shorts over a fanny pack or man purse any day. 😀

A good friend had his wallet removed from his cargo pant zipped pocket while in Paris

26 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

A good friend had his wallet removed from his cargo pant zipped pocket while in Paris

Bummer for your friend. Mine are always buttoned and nothing in the back pockets.  I don't carry a wallet either. Have you  heard of those that have had their purses snatched. "Purse Snatchers". Nothing is 100%. 

Edited by davekathy

Barcelona is notorious for pick pockets and bag snatchers (Probably worst place in EU for robbery).  Watch out for the throwing baby trick (I had this done to me even although I knew in advance about this trick- so they never got anything worth taking). Where u lift your hands away from your body to catch fake baby giving just enough time for bag straps to be slit and grabbed off you. (male and female).  My husband wears an inadvisable pouch under his cloths with passports, cards and main money.  We use water bottle carriers/ straps that each of us have.  And we also have bum bags for glasses maps and that days (mornings money) ect.  That way no-one has a heavy bag that gets hot and sticky on your back, the majority of money is safely out of view and reach.

Edited by fragilek
sp

I really love my ScotteVest and most of it's pockets are in the interior.  It can carry so much, including a camera, tablet, water bottle, sunglasses.  But it might be too warm for July.

I have a light backpack that I use and really self-awareness is the best advice for pick pockets or bag snatchers.  We wandered all over Barcelona without problem, also Venice and multiple Italian cities.  But my husband does have an awareness and is good at avoiding crowds and suspicious situations.  He learned that in Mexico City at a young age.

The best advice is to not carry too much.  And keep it in an interior pocket.  I don't like the things that you hang around your neck and wear under your shirt, but lots of folks swear by those.  Maybe find a small breathable one for cash and credit cards and ID and a small, light backpack for all the other sundries (including sun screen)?  Since you won't be compromised by losing those.

For me, I have 2 styles of backpack a "day" bag, which is big enough to carry a litre bottle of water and useful items and I also have a cloth/string backpack which takes up no room and I use that around the ship for sunglasses, books etc.

At home I also have a pretty decent laptop bag that I use instead of a backpack as this has pockets and compartments and is sometimes easier to use.

21 hours ago, Swann5 said:

My DH and I are doing a back to back this July on the Connie, Barcelona to Venice, Venice to Greek isles, back to Venice. We know it will be super hot, but as a teacher, our travel dates are limited. Question: what style/brand of bag do men carry? Looking for something as small as possible to negotiate through large crowds and not have to be checked at museum; definitely not a back pack. Must have room for reading glasses/sunglasses, bottle of water, wallet and map/guide/tickets, while also being a deterrent to pick pockets. We did 18 days in Mediterranean two years ago and am hoping my DH can help carry the load this time if I can find a suitable bag for him.  Yes, I did a search before posting with limited results. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions! Fire away! 😀

I carry one of the tote bags that Celebrity gives us for free each cruise.

Thanks everyone for all the replies, the fun ones and helpful ones! 😎 After some searching we have ordered a Travelon classic tour bag in a medium size. Lots of anti-theft features and hopefully just the right size, not too big and therefore not overly hot, and it has a mesh pouch for a water bottle. 😀 Happy safe travels to all! 🚢

DFD024F1-261D-4826-9C73-F507800B000F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Swann5 said:

After some searching we have ordered a Travelon classic tour bag in a medium size.

It looks very similar to the now-discontinued Eagle Creek guide bag that I use, but the water-bottle pocket increases the usable capacity.

Edited by kochleffel

If you  want to stand out as a tourist, wear a man bag.  If you really want to carry a load of stuff around with you, buy a plastic bag from a local supermarket and use that.  No self respecting thief is ever  going to steal an Aldi bag!

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 9:22 PM, fragilek said:

Barcelona is notorious for pick pockets and bag snatchers (Probably worst place in EU for robbery).  Watch out for the throwing baby trick (I had this done to me even although I knew in advance about this trick- so they never got anything worth taking). Where u lift your hands away from your body to catch fake baby giving just enough time for bag straps to be slit and grabbed off you. (male and female).  My husband wears an inadvisable pouch under his cloths with passports, cards and main money.  We use water bottle carriers/ straps that each of us have.  And we also have bum bags for glasses maps and that days (mornings money) ect.  That way no-one has a heavy bag that gets hot and sticky on your back, the majority of money is safely out of view and reach.

If you look and act in a certain way, then you will be targeted. Apparently, US tourists are the highest pickpocketed group in Europe. 

Therefore blend in with the locals and make sure your bag is a normal secure one with normal straps. A satchel type one is ideal and stylish. Oh...and zips of course.

Edited by Velvetwater

We only use items that we can wear under our clothes, for wallets .  Glasses you can wear, maps you can carry - wear clothes with pockets, i.e., for small camera.  

This works well for both of us.  I have had purses snatched at home... some don't use a purse at all anymore anywhere.

On 4/27/2019 at 2:17 AM, wowzz said:

If you  want to stand out as a tourist, wear a man bag.  If you really want to carry a load of stuff around with you, buy a plastic bag from a local supermarket and use that.  No self respecting thief is ever  going to steal an Aldi bag!

In Europe you'll stick out WAY more wearing a multi-pocket vest and cargo shorts than you would carrying a man-bag... they're very much the in accessory, at least in the South and East. 

(And don't be down on the Aldi bags... I still travel with a foldable grocery bag from MegaImage, and that thing is probably the handiest bit of travel kit I own!)

• Like 2

On 4/26/2019 at 4:11 PM, Swann5 said:

Thanks everyone for all the replies, the fun ones and helpful ones! 😎 After some searching we have ordered a Travelon classic tour bag in a medium size. Lots of anti-theft features and hopefully just the right size, not too big and therefore not overly hot, and it has a mesh pouch for a water bottle. 😀 Happy safe travels to all! 🚢

DFD024F1-261D-4826-9C73-F507800B000F.jpeg

That will likely carry all the stuff you want, but I would not keep my passport or wallet in it - or hope to not be told to check it when entering a museum. That last concern of yours argues against anything much larger than a belted pouch to wear under your shirt.

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

That will likely carry all the stuff you want, but I would not keep my passport or wallet in it - or hope to not be told to check it when entering a museum. That last concern of yours argues against anything much larger than a belted pouch to wear under your shirt.

I would agree about not putting the passport in the bag. But DH has worn his messenger bag (worn crossbody)  into every museum we've visited  (except the Borghese Gallery. )

Edited by mom says

18 hours ago, Velvetwater said:

If you look and act in a certain way, then you will be targeted. Apparently, US tourists are the highest pickpocketed group in Europe. 

Therefore blend in with the locals and make sure your bag is a normal secure one with normal straps. A satchel type one is ideal and stylish. Oh...and zips of course.

I am not from the US and In Spain everyone thinks I am Spanish - In any shop/ place I am always spoken to in Spanish first until they realise I don't understand then they try Italian (if they speak it ) then finally English.  So I would say I must sort of blend in or at least look like a Spanish tourist.

On 4/28/2019 at 6:50 PM, SimplyMarvie said:

In Europe you'll stick out WAY more wearing a multi-pocket vest and cargo shorts than you would carrying a man-bag... they're very much the in accessory, at least in the South and East. 

(And don't be down on the Aldi bags... I still travel with a foldable grocery bag from MegaImage, and that thing is probably the handiest bit of travel kit I own!)

You're probably right about man bags being OK in the SE. However, it would be a brave man to walk into my local pub here in deepest Lincs with one. You would need to have a pretty thick skin!

• Haha 1

I was going to recommend the Timbuk2 bags, also.  They are a staple of the guys where I live, young and old, if they aren't still wedded to their DaKine backpacks.   I'm a woman, yet I have 3 of their messenger bags, one XS that I can use as a purse (holds wallet, my big Oakley sunglass case, phone or iPad), and 2  regular size that I used daily when I worked at the ski resort or when I flew and needed room for my headphones and stuff.  

I like them because they don't look like the usual "tourist" bags (the PacSafe, the Travelon, etc).  As a woman, I've morphed a little from my Timbuk2 to Sherpani.  Totally girly, and built to last.   Definitely NOT tourist bags, but you can simply "lock" the zipper with w carabiner to the D-ring on the strap.  

dr'spin relies on cargo pants. He keeps an eye out for 3'-tall pick-pocketers who might UNBUTTON the pocket and slip away with his wallet etc... Which has never happened even in cities with the worst reputations... 

On 4/30/2019 at 12:13 PM, wowzz said:

You're probably right about man bags being OK in the SE. However, it would be a brave man to walk into my local pub here in deepest Lincs with one. You would need to have a pretty thick skin!

I never knew Lincolnshire was like that. I'm from nearby Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire originally and manbags are fine all over those counties as my husband is never without his satchel style one when we visit. He always escapes unscathed. 😄 

Edited by Velvetwater

34 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

I never knew Lincolnshire was like that. I'm from nearby Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire originally and manbags are fine all over those counties as my husband is never without his satchel style one when we visit. He always escapes unscathed. 😄 

To be fair, my tongue was in my cheek a little bit!